Test your knowledge !!! (1 Viewer)

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
I think you're describing a standard hydrogen atom. Deuterium (with one proton, one neutron and one electron) is an isotope of what is ussually an electron orbiting a proton. [Which is why you might sometimes hear your H<sup>+</sup> ions in electro-chem refered to as protons]

EDIT: I was just giving it a thought and it's possible that the name you were thinking of was protium.

Last edited:

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
KFunk said:
I think you're describing a standard hydrogen atom. Deuterium (with one proton, one neutron and one electron) is an isotope of what is ussually an electron orbiting a proton. [Which is why you might sometimes hear your H<sup>+</sup> ions in electro-chem refered to as protons]

EDIT: I was just giving it a thought and it's possible that the name you were thinking of was protium.
It is not called protium - protium is exotic matter. I was not aware, though, that the most common isotope of hydrogen had no neutrons. A bit weird though... just because it is the most common isotope doesn't mean it should be called hydrogen, does it (I'm not arguing with you - you're correct)?

Last edited:

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
Slide Rule said:
It is not called protium - protium is exotic matter. I was not aware, though, that the most common isotope of hydrogen had no neutrons. A bit weird though... just because it is the most common isotope doesn't mean it should be called hydrogen, does it (I'm not arguing with you - you're correct)?
I agree, it is a bit strange but when you consider than many elements don't have an equal number of protons and nuetrons then it ceases to be odd really. Btw, IUPAC call it protium... it's just not a very commonly used term.

http://www.iupac.org/goldbook/P04903.pdf

Last edited:

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Doh! I apologise - I was confusing protonium with protium.

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
Haha, no problem. I have a similar habit of hearing manganese as magnesium.

funking_you

Dear All,

Here is a challange!

Who can post all the correct answers to the MC QUIZ given in the first post of the thread!

Best of Luck,
George

mouldy_bread

HSC
If it helps at all, I was going to pick electron... call it an educated guess but it was just because electrons do so much - their moving around creates ions... they make some batteries work ( I think ) with the whole salt bridge thing...

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
mouldy_bread said:
they make some batteries work ( I think ) with the whole salt bridge thing...
They make ALL batteries work. :p

Danni07

happy little vegemite
HSC
I agree with most of your answers, I got A for 7, where you got D. I may have messed up the equation, I ended up with: -0.14 - (-1.36) = 1.22
I wasn't sure about how to work out 6 and 8, and took a bit of an uneducated guess. I also got C for 3, although I dont know how you would correctly work it out, I used guess and check, so if someone would it explain that to me it'd be much appreciated.

Pi Pi Pi Pi Pi Pi Pi Pi!!
HSC
with 7 u have to reverse the sign for the Sn2= as it is being oxidised an the table is for reduction so u get +0.14V for the tin part and then the cl2 is reduced so it stays as 1.36V and adding those gives 1.5V

HSC
8 u do by looking at a periodic table and u see thaht Nickel has an atomic number 1 greater than Co-60 and atomic mass remains the same therefore the missing particle is :

e

which is a berta particle - high energy electron not just an electron

and for 3 u divide the molar heat of combustion by the molecular masses of the substances as u have
X kJ/ (g/mm) so to remove the mm divide top and bottom by it

Last edited:

HSC
Chem Coach ...

George do u have the answers....

6 wasn't 100% sure but figured the other answers had to be redox..

Sirius Black

Maths is beautiful
HSC
3.1415926535897 said:
8 u do by looking at a periodic table and u see thaht Nickel has an atomic number 1 greater than Co-60 and atomic mass remains the same therefore the missing particle is :

e

which is a berta particle - high energy electron not just an electron

and for 3 u divide the molar heat of combustion by the molecular masses of the substances as u have
X kJ/ (g/mm) so to remove the mm divide top and bottom by it
is positron a beta particle as well? (altho i presume it as a beta-particle in this quiz? :p )

funking_you

i positron is NOT a beta particle, without sounding too crazy (which i'm not) a positron is a positively charged 'electron'.

The answer i was looking for is indeed a 'beta particle'.
There is no REAL difference between a beta particle and an electron, beside that a beta particle has more energy than an ejected valance electron.
This is the reason i included this question, too many students do not appreciate the different NATURE of beta particles, which originate from the NUCLEUS, as they are produced from the decay of a neutron.

I hope everyone got that one!

funking_you

theChemCoach said:
G'day Chem Students,

HERE ARE THE ANSWERS TO THE QUIZ

1. D
2. B
3. C
4. A
5. B
6. D
7. D
8. A
9. A
10. B
11. A
12. A

They are also on the first post of the tread for future reference.

For Q6). the best way to determine whether or not a redox reaction took place is to check for changes in oxidation states, if there is a change, it means its a redox reaction.

Cheers,
George

Last edited by a moderator:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)