Textbooks (1 Viewer)

HSC
Just wondering... when are we going to find out what textbooks to buy and when to get 'em?

P.S I'm a senior member!

tennille

HSC
Sometimes the handbook will mention what textbooks you need. The electronic handbook is located here, although I'm not sure it will mention it for your subjects. The coop bookshop will eventually have textlists up, but we are usually the last to be up there.

You will most likely receive a list along with your syllabus, stating what textbooks you need.

towny

HSC
N/A
yeah, USYD is incredibly unorganised when it comes to all things administration, and this includes textbook lists...it really bugs me, HIRE SOME MORE ADMIN STAFF

tennille

HSC
I know. Every other uni is up there except ours (excluding law school). :(

Iheartpaulfrank, what subjects are you doing this semester?

HSC
um, let me see (i'm planning to change some), but here goes...
Ancient History, Psychology and. Italian Studies.. can't remember whether Maths or English was this semester...

tennille

HSC
For maths you'll need to buy the book (well, it's more like a compilation of lecture notes) from Kopy Stop in Broadway. The other subjects you are doing, you'll most likely get from the Copy Centre at uni.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Wait til lectures start so you can find out from your lecturers what you need.

HSC
Sorry that was French Studies insread of Italian (still tossing up between the two).

Thanks again Tennille and to waf. :)

Libbster

HSC
try to get 2nd hand if possible, it's so much cheaper. i got my chem textbook for $70 instead of $130 and you wouldn't know it was 2nd hand it was in such good condition. visit www.textbookexchange.com.au but make sure u r getting the right edition

tennille

HSC
Yeah, second hand is better. But if you want to know what books you want, you can use the coop text list. :)

tennille

HSC
Some courses have a variety of textbooks to use. If that's the case I'd wait until semester starts and the lecturers tell you what you need. Also, as Libbster stated, you're better off buying second hand textbooks.

Bob.

HSC
fuck i just calculated that my text books are gonna be like $650. Is this normal cos that seems abit high?

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
Bob. said:
fuck i just calculated that my text books are gonna be like $650. Is this normal cos that seems abit high?
I've heard that you can get by without textbooks for some courses even if they are recommended and you should just by second hand books if you can. Of course if you want to spend $650 on books, go ahead.

Quintin

HSC
Iheartpaulfrank said:
Just wondering... when are we going to find out what textbooks to buy and when to get 'em?

P.S I'm a senior member!
my serious advice would be wait till the first week of lectures. Some of my textbooks i used non stop. Others were useless! For instance macroeconomics is all maths at USYD, yet the textbook contains a total of about 4 forumulas (i.e. what it taught was not what the course taught). And yes a great deal of that is because there are many people in the course who can not speak english so maths lets them pass and yes it is easier/quicker (the thus cheaper :) ) to examine in exams... Moral of the story is: ask your lecturers their honest opinion and see how good the course readers and other resources are before your fork out $1000 on books.

dagwoman

Welcome to My Lair
HSC
N/A
Where do you check to see textbook lists?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)