The Abortion Debate (continued) (2 Viewers)

HotShot

-_-
HSC
$hiftyIceQueen said:
chill out

i dont think men are better then woman, and dont know why you would think that

i think i worded my question wrong

this is what i meant, pretend you wanted this child, but your partner didnt want it.. would like your partner to have the final say and not care about what you thought???

i think that both the parents should decide on it together, not the mother have the final say just because it is inside her
the fact the chick has the baby in her stomach and she has basically total control of it. if i wanted to keep the baby i would do my utmost best to convince her - but u can only do so much.

oh by the way men can bring up a child as well. and there are many women out there who are unable to have childern but would dream of having one.

then if she still decides to have an abortion - she wont have my respect anymore - bye bye end of relationship.

HSC
Agent, I think its great you are so responsible and mature about it all, I really do. Although hopefully you will never have to face this situation personally.
but I do have to point out that some women (and we are not talking about me here) would not feel they are able to handle the nine month wait before they can get rid of the kid. Sorry to put it like that but you know what I mean. Its not like it's a tumour or a huge lump of fat, its a living breathing human being that in about 12 or 13 years is going to wonder where its mother is.

dieburndie

Eat, Sleep, Repeat
HSC
agent, the mother more than likely wishing to raise the child after giving birth to it is a good thing compared to it being adopted, because there is some benefit experienced as a consequence of pregnancy. This however, only stresses the failings of adoption as a reasonable alternative to abortion.
If the foetus was aborted, the pregnancy wouldn't be experienced (for very long) and thus there would be no motive to keep an otherwise unwanted child.

bshoc

HSC
N/A
$hiftyIceQueen said:
say you got a woman pregnant, she wanted an abortion but you didnt, would you think it was fine that she has the final say in if your child was to live or die?
Neither parent should have any say in such a matter, the only people wo should have a right to decide this is doctors, and only in the most life threatening of cases, in which case the mother should have the decision based on the doctors advice.

HSC
bshoc said:
Neither parent should have any say in such a matter, the only people wo should have a right to decide this is doctors, and only in the most life threatening of cases, in which case the mother should have the decision based on the doctors advice.
Yeah it's probably better a kid born out of rape gets raised by either the mother who sees him as a visible reminder of the rape, or by the state, in foster care. We always need more lower class.

dieburndie

Eat, Sleep, Repeat
HSC
Arrrrrgghhhhhh *explodes*
You have been bshocked.

Rule#1. Do not argue with bshoc in a thread about abortion.
That is unless you want to waste a large amount of your time arguing with someone who is less receptive than my coffee mug.
At least you can serve coffee in a coffee mug.
Mug Mug Mug
Coffee Mug
Gonna Clear Away The Haze
Liquid Proof
That I Can Win This Race
Coffee Mug
The Grip That Keeps Me Tall
My Inter-Link
Keeps Me Questing All

Abortion's great.

HSC
dieburndie said:
Arrrrrgghhhhhh *explodes*
You have been bshocked.

Rule#1. Do not argue with bshoc in a thread about abortion.
That is unless you want to waste a large amount of your time arguing with someone who is less receptive than my coffee mug.
At least you can serve coffee in a coffee mug.
Mug Mug Mug
Coffee Mug
Gonna Clear Away The Haze
Liquid Proof
That I Can Win This Race
Coffee Mug
The Grip That Keeps Me Tall
My Inter-Link
Keeps Me Questing All

Abortion's great.
Lol. Thanks for the advice. I think this is a warning that should pretty much extend to every controversial topic though. :)

HSC
bshoc said:
see thats what i think :uhhuh:

dieburndie

Eat, Sleep, Repeat
HSC
The tint in my glasses has something to do with the fact that there are six and a half billion people on the earth at the current time, and religion has not transformed itself to account for the problem of overpopulation which only arose in the second half of last century. The continued ignorance of the state of the planet and the plight of humans(including those within their own religious ranks) by the religious as they adhere to their doctrine relentlessly is irrational. If viewing issues according to the state of the world in current times is tinted, than I don't want my glasses to be clear.
I in most circumstances use fact to determine my opinion on a given issue.

$hiftyIceQueen's imposes beliefs on others by having a view that parents should not be able to make the decision to have an abortion (or something to that effect).
This is imposing her beliefs upon others because she believes that other people should live by her morals, that even if they wished to abort their foetus they should not be allowed to make that decision because she thinks abortion is wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
HSC
I don't support Abortion in the sense that I don't think everyone should go out and do it as an alternative to contraception.

I think the right to choose should be protected, although in some ways I also think that irresponsible idiots who get themselves pregnant should be forced to keep their problems...but then that doesnt work because why should the child be raised by somone so stupid and irresponsible...anyway,

I think abortion should be permitted in cases of rape or incest, or when the mother's life is in danger...I know, long and rambling but I'm trying. :)

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
Very off-topic, but still;

dieburndie said:
However, I don't believe in the "sanctity of life". I am a pro-abortion pro-choicer in that in the case a woman got pregnant, I would much prefer she aborted the baby than didn't.
The way you have said this implies you prefer abortion in all cases, not just those in which the pregnancy was unwanted. Without equating abortion with anything else, would you say, considering your lack of belief in a sanctity of life that murder is okay if it has a net effect of reducing population growth?

The adopted baby will become another resource swallowing westerner, contributing to the rapid degeneration of Earth as much as several third-world children would.
Yet, the developing world has a population that will approximately double every 50 years, while in the 'first world' birth rates are far below replacement level, around 1.3 (dangerously low) in much of Western Europe. The optimal way to control issues that will arise due to excess population in future would be to nuke the major population centres of India and China.

Either way you don't really care about Westerners swallowing resources otherwise you would have killed yourself already.

If a mother decided to go through pregnancy, I would consider it a given that she would want to be part of her child's life.
Those who consider adoption to be the best option for the mother seriously need to evaluate how much it would affect the humans that exist already as they continue to abide by their one restrictive principle at all costs.
So it is better for someone not to live, than to live and have some 'social issues' because they were adopted. these people would disagree. Of course, a list of famous and influential people that were adopted doesn't take away from the point that there are social issues arising from adoption. But how many people who were adopted, when asked, would prefer never to have lived, just because of some "confusion and crap" as agentprovocater said.

dieburndie said:
The tint in my glasses has something to do with the fact that there are six and a half billion people on the earth at the current time, and religion has not transformed itself to account for the problem of overpopulation which only arose in the second half of last century. The continued ignorance of the state of the planet and the plight of humans(including those within their own religious ranks) by the religious as they adhere to their doctrine relentlessly is irrational. If viewing issues according to the state of the world in current times is tinted, than I don't want my glasses to be clear.
So you are basing your belief that abortion should be encouraged on the current population of the Earth. More logically consistent would be, as above, advocating nuclear war. Abortion isn't going to thin out the population very much at all. For every Westener that is aborted, a hundred or so third worlders are born.

Last edited by a moderator:

dieburndie

Eat, Sleep, Repeat
HSC
Alright, before I begin arguing it would probably be best to admit that I was wrong several times in my last few posts. My attacks were indeed unnecessary. $hiftyIceQueen, despite the fact that I strongly disagree with you about this issue and many others, bringing your religion etc into the equation was stupid. I got extremely carried away.
Now I will defend what I thought was right.
Captain Gh3y said:
Very off-topic, but still;

The way you have said this implies you prefer abortion in all cases, not just those in which the pregnancy was unwanted. Without equating abortion with anything else, would you say, considering your lack of belief in a sanctity of life that murder is okay if it has a net effect of reducing population growth?
No. That would be equating abortion with murder. I know a lot of you think abortion is murder, but I don't.
If the pregnancy was wanted then the mother is obviously going to give birth to her child. I would prefer that the woman chose not to get pregnant, but she can do whatever she wants.
Yet, the developing world has a population that will approximately double every 50 years, while in the 'first world' birth rates are far below replacement level, around 1.3 (dangerously low) in much of Western Europe. The optimal way to control issues that will arise due to excess population in future would be to nuke the major population centres of India and China.
Despite the fact that you are only suggesting it in jest, I wouldn't agree with nuking India or China because of the suffering it would cause the people, and the impact it would have on the earth, this is exactly what reducing the population is attempting to avoid.
Why do you think those birth rates in Western Europe are dangerously low?
So the developing world obviously contributes to overpopulation too. So what? Did I say the problem was first-world specific?
Regardless, one must consider the ecological footprint of the first-world compared to the third-world when assessing the impact on the planet.
Either way you don't really care about Westerners swallowing resources otherwise you would have killed yourself already
Ok, thanks for destroying your argument with a completely illogical statement.

So it is better for someone not to live, than to live and have some 'social issues' because they were adopted. these people would disagree. Of course, a list of famous and influential people that were adopted doesn't take away from the point that there are social issues arising from adoption. But how many people who were adopted, when asked, would prefer never to have lived, just because of some "confusion and crap" as agentprovocater said.
It doesn't matter. How many people in any circumstances would prefer to never have lived? Does that mean all births are justified?
If your parents decided not to have you, would that be wrong because you now prefer to exist?

What appears more likely after her very short post, is that in fact your underlying belief is that her underlying beliefs are behind every statement she makes.
Indeed, I was wrong.
So you are basing your belief that abortion should be encouraged on the current population of the Earth. More logically consistent would be, as above, advocating nuclear war. Abortion isn't going to thin out the population very much at all. For every Westener that is aborted, a hundred or so third worlders are born.
Why? I didn't say abortion should be encouraged in the west while the third world is left to continue breeding excessively. Obviously I advocate a reduction in all areas.
Most of all though, I think not getting pregnant should be encouraged.

Clearly, believing that something should be banned is different to opposing that belief on others.
By believing that the parents should have no role in deciding whether or not to have their own child, $hifty wishes to have her belief that abortion is wrong imposed upon those that disagree. I still don't see where I'm going wrong here.
A lovely final irony is that the West's eagerness for abortion will be a contributing factor (ie. low birth rates) to its end and eventual takeover by the followers of the religion that you (unnecessarily) insulted earlier.
By the time the 1-1.5 billion Muslims multiply to the point of being able to takeover, and the West ends, it will be irrelevant anyway. Either the global population increase will be curbed, or Earth will degenerate into a barren wasteland.
I obviously think that Muslims should reduce birth rates just like everyone else.
I fail to see how my logic is inconsistent

HSC
I think, as long as we are talking about overpopulation, that whilst the Western world is guilty of consuming too much resources the third world is guilty of overpoplation.

I think rather than trying to curb our birth rates, whether through abortion or otherwise we should be trying to curb the birth rates of poorer countries.
Two ways to do this. First, get rid of catholicism so those people start using contraception! and second, improve the quality of life in those countries. (Yes I know easier said than done) With quality of life comes lower birthrates, despite the seeming paradox, this is demonstrated by Australia.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
ElendilPeredhil said:
Yeah it's probably better a kid born out of rape gets raised by either the mother who sees him as a visible reminder of the rape, or by the state, in foster care. We always need more lower class.
How often are women raped and fall pregnant? seriously they wouldnt fall into the category of being the major aborters? not sure just askin?

*hopeful*

HSC
dieburndie said:
By the time the 1-1.5 billion Muslims multiply to the point of being able to takeover, and the West ends, it will be irrelevant anyway. Either the global population increase will be curbed, or Earth will degenerate into a barren wasteland.
I obviously think that Muslims should reduce birth rates just like everyone else.
do we have some proof that muslims have highest birth rates or something ?
its not like they arent allowed to use contraception :confused: isnt christianity against abortions ? whats to say they wont take over the world/west/whatever the point is here ?

dieburndie

Eat, Sleep, Repeat
HSC
I don't think they will, Captain Ghey raised that point.
But yes, typically Muslim areas have comparatively high birth rates, notably in the Middle East and Northern Africa..

HSC
HotShot said:
How often are women raped and fall pregnant? seriously they wouldnt fall into the category of being the major aborters? not sure just askin?
No I'm sure it doesn't happen that often, but it does happen.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
dieburndie said:
No. That would be equating abortion with murder. I know a lot of you think abortion is murder, but I don't.
If the pregnancy was wanted then the mother is obviously going to give birth to her child. I would prefer that the woman chose not to get pregnant, but she can do whatever she wants.
I tried to emphasise this in the first post, but I was trying to say, look at say murder or war without equating it to abortion. Basically you've said if someone gets pregnant it is preferable for the baby not to be born. The reason for this is:
1. There are already too many people raping the earth
2. You don't believe in the sanctity of life.
Well, if you want there to be less people in the world, abortion is a really crappy way to achieve that goal. All it does is age the population considerably, meaning you have a lot of old people consuming just as much resources but not contributing anything. If you don't believe in a sanctity of life, there are better ways to achieve your goals, since you shouldn't have an objection to killing someone if it's for the good of the Earth. So from a practical view you could perhaps round up and euthenise old people and also cripples. There's no reason not to; they're consuming Earth's resources and their lives aren't more sacred than any others.

Why do you think those birth rates in Western Europe are dangerously low?
Because for every 2 people in this generation, in the next generation there will be 1.3 people. A civilisation won't survive if it stops breeding.

Ok, thanks for destroying your argument with a completely illogical statement.
All I meant was, if you really care about the state of the world, why do you continue to live with a Western lifestyle?

It doesn't matter. How many people in any circumstances would prefer to never have lived? Does that mean all births are justified?
If your parents decided not to have you, would that be wrong because you now prefer to exist?
We're talking about foetii that have been conceived, not those that were never conceived. You're saying it's preferable that they're never given a chance to live just because adoption can cause social problems. Since when do births have to be 'justified'? I'm saying it's better to give them a chance at life.

Why? I didn't say abortion should be encouraged in the west while the third world is left to continue breeding excessively. Obviously I advocate a reduction in all areas.
Most of all though, I think not getting pregnant should be encouraged.
But it's just not possible, unless you want to enforce policies like China, in which case you're no different than...

By believing that the parents should have no role in deciding whether or not to have their own child, $hifty wishes to have her belief that abortion is wrong imposed upon those that disagree. I still don't see where I'm going wrong here.

It's actually going to happen in a couple of generations time, not some distant future. It's not that what you're saying is illogical so much as impractical. If you look at Darwinism it's pretty obvious that, well in this case you've got different cultures instead of different species, but still, you're not going to get people to stop breeding because it goes against their instincts to survive.

The issue I'm getting at is that when you have our culture that's stopped breeding but the others haven't, you're going to get a decreased living standard for "us", when there's so many more of "them".

If you want to decrease birth rates in developing countries by improving their living conditions you're just going to have the same effect as letting them breed, but get it over with faster. That is, consuming massive amounts of resources (ie. oil) to allow high living standards for such enormous numbers of people. If you let their birth rates stay high but living standards stay low the same thing will happen but more slowly.

do we have some proof that muslims have highest birth rates or something ?
its not like they arent allowed to use contraception isnt christianity against abortions ? whats to say they wont take over the world/west/whatever the point is here ?
Okay well I don't know if they have the highest birthrates in the world, but for example you've got Italy with a birthrate of 1.2 [children per couple] compared to 6.9 in Somalia or 6.8 in Afghanistan. The migrant communities of non-european descent within Europe generally have much higher birth rates than the rest of the country.
The main reason Christianity can't take over is because there aren't any [significant numbers of] Christians in the areas I'm talking about. Basically read this and also this.

It gives you an idea of what might happen if one culture decides to stop breeding (for the good of the Earth or because they're too busy doing other things) while another keeps going.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
ElendilPeredhil said:
No I'm sure it doesn't happen that often, but it does happen.
so then maybe abortion should only be allowed for rape victims? i dont see any reason why it should allowed for others - i mean if u dont want it - fake a rape or something.

dieburndie

Eat, Sleep, Repeat
HSC
It's illogical to believe in the sanctity of life without being religious.

Abortion is a crappy way to achieve the goal. A better way is for people not to get pregnant.
What I want isn't really possible, I admit that it's completely idealistic, but I might as well hold some ideals when faced with the alternative.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)