The 'Ask Any Biology Question' Thread (1 Viewer)

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
Hello there, as I graduate from last year, I want to utilise my knowledge to help others, as I myself have learnt a great deal through these forums. So feel free to ask any questions, and I will do my best to answer them in my spare* time, or maybe someone else on the forum can post a response as well :)

My elective was communication, so if you have questions not related, find help else where on the forums.

Also I can answer explain the solutions for MC questions as this is my strong point, having, from my knowledge, being the only one on the forums last year to achieve 20/20 ;) Now that I have gotten my brag out, I will leave you guys to it.

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
whats the difference between independent assortment and random segregation?? ;L
Random Segregation: The alleles go through meiosis to create gametes, they will segregate from one another, and each of the haploid gametes will end up with only one allele
i.e Alleles for the same trait (e.g. height) separate/segregate into different gametes.

Independent assortment is when you are looking at how the alleles of two genes separate. The alleles will assort themselves independently of one another when the haploid gametes are formed in meiosis. each haploid gamete ends up with a different combination of alleles of these two genes
i.e. Independent assortment: Alleles for different traits separate/assort independently from each other

Maxwell

bow peasants
HSC
Define feedback mechanisms and explain their requirement in organisms. (to maintain homeostasis obviously but I can I have a fleshed out answer?)

How does biogeography provide evidence for evolution? (organisms were once on one super continent -- tectonic movements -- evolved divergently since separation, which thus indicates evolution?)

also, with the communication elective, what areas of the brain are involved in speech? EVERY DIAGRAM SAYS SOMETHING DIFFERENT IT MAKES ME WANT TO CRY. if you could find/draw and upload a relevant/accurate diagram, that'd be awesome.

Last edited:
HSC
Define feedback mechanisms and explain their requirement in organisms. (to maintain homeostasis obviously but I can I have a fleshed out answer?)

How does biogeography provide evidence for evolution? (organisms were once on one super continent -- tectonic movements -- evolved divergently since separation, which thus indicates evolution?)

also, with the communication elective, what areas of the brain are involved in speech? EVERY DIAGRAM SAYS SOMETHING DIFFERENT IT MAKES ME WANT TO CRY. if you could find/draw and upload a relevant/accurate diagram, that'd be awesome.
Answer to communication question - Cerebrum, in particular the frontal lobe?

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A

Broca's area in the frontal lobe is the main area.

madharris

HSC
N/A
I wish I did communication, it's so much more interesting than genetics :(

But yeah in short, information goes to broca's area in the frontal lobe (usually the left hemisphere) then travels to the primary motor cortex which activates the motor neurons that controls the muscles you use to pronounce a word

Maxwell

bow peasants
HSC
Another question:

Outline a process used to produce a transgenic species.

In ruse papers, they use fancy-ass methods, whereas in the textbook I use it just has isolate the gene, cut out with restriction enzyme, add more gene sequences for regulation and then inject into an organism. Is this sufficient to get full marks in the HSC?

madharris

HSC
N/A
Yeah that's fine ^^

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Zeref

Stare into my eyes.
HSC
1. I can't do pedigree charts for crap. Any specific patterns that I look out for?

2. Does anyone have a paragraph that sums up urine production? Other people's notes are waaaaaay too long as they go really in depth of each part of the nephron.

3. Which xylem and phloem pictures do you use to memorise the parts?

trungduong12

HSC
1. I can't do pedigree charts for crap. Any specific patterns that I look out for?

2. Does anyone have a paragraph that sums up urine production? Other people's notes are waaaaaay too long as they go really in depth of each part of the nephron.

Also for question 3, do we srsly have to memorise how to draw a transverse section of xylem and phloem !!!!!!!
Like seriously soooo MANY diagrams to rmb !!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A

1. Most of the time it is a recessive disorder
2. Just google image urine formation and look through the diagrams

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
Was looking more for a "real actual" picture. The one's in MC and possiblly short response where they go like, label this part and that part.
Google it, there should be something you like

madharris

HSC
N/A

Pedigree
- If two non-affected parents have an affected child, then the trait is recessive
- If two affected parents have a non-affected child, then the trait is dominant
- If there is a large bias towards males being affected, and sometimes generations are skipped, then the trait is recessive sex linked

And what about urine production do you want to know? Like the fish thing or like the kidney?

~~~
Procrastination is not working on your essay because year 12 bio is more interesting :'(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)