The ATP/WTA 2014 French Open - Roland Garros - Thread (1 Viewer)

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Starts on the 25th of May.

ATP (Men) Analysis

Top 8 seeds should be according to the current rankings:
1 Nadal, Rafael (ESP)
2 Djokovic, Novak (SRB)
3 Wawrinka, Stan (SUI)
4 Federer, Roger (SUI)
5 Ferrer, David (ESP)
6 Berdych, Tomas (CZE)
7 Del Potro, Juan Martin (ARG) (out due to injury)
8 Murray, Andy (GBR)
9 Raonic, Milos (CAN)

Nadal - defending champion, 8 times champion --> He goes into the French Open with more than 2 losses (3 losses) on clay (this hasn't happened since 2004). Lost to Ferrer in the Monte Carlo Masters 1000 then lost to Almagro (a player who he had a 10-0 H2H record going in) in Barcelona 500 where he was the defending champion. Recently lost to Djokovic in the finals of the Rome Masters 1000 where he was the defending champion.

He only has 1 European clay title to his name - the Madrid Masters 1000 (an event which both Djokovic and Federer skipped) and in the finals, was getting demolished by Nishikori until Nishikori got injured late in the 2nd set.

Still the favourite to win the French (8 titles out of 9 attempts - with the only 1 loss in 2009 to Soderling) but not the absolute favourite.

Djokovic - Beat Nadal in the Rome Masters 1000 and who can forget about the epic clash between them in the French Open 2013 semis. Will he finally win the French Open to complete the Career Grand Slam?

The number 1 ranking is on the line as well - Djokovic can reclaim it, depending on Nadal's performance or if he wins the French.

Wawrinka - reigning Australian Open champion --> He won the Monte Carlo Masters 1000 but had shock/early exits

On his day - he can beat anyone but off his day - he can lose to anyone. Nevertheless, a dark horse to win it.

Federer - 2009 French Open champion --> the finalist in the Monte Carlo Masters 1000. Skipped Madrid. Lost in the 2nd round of Rome to Chardy.

Going in - it looks like he's in questionable form but the start to 2014 as a whole has shown us a resurgent Federer.

On his day, he can beat ANYONE on clay (including Djokovic) except Nadal.

Ferrer - defending finalist --> a dark horse.

Murray - reigning Wimbledon champion --> has been struggling with form since the start of 2014 but he pushed Nadal to the limits in Rome... a QF run would be good (he skipped the French in 2013 so he'll gain some points no matter what).

Other dark horses include Nishikori and Tsonga.

WTA (Women) Analysis

Serena is the number 1 seed and is probably the favourite going in with her win in the Rome Masters 1000. She's also the defending champion.

Sharapova is also a favourite (despite being out of the top 4 in the rankings) - she recently won the Madrid Masters 1000. She's the defending finalist.

Li Na is another favourite - she's the reigning Australian Open champion.

Can't wait for the draw to come out.

ameher

HSC
Re: The Official ATP/WTA 2014 French Open - Roland Garros - Thread

Even though Nadal is going through a "slump", i still think he's definitely favourite. And yes that is a slump by nadals standards, another player would consider the year he has had so far fairly decent.

photastic

HSC

Not a nadal fan but he steps up his game for Roland Garros. I remembered in 2011, he only won 1 Atp 1000, lost to Djokovic twice but still won the French. In 2013, he just came back from a 2000 month break and started raping again. However, ever since Wawrinka won the Australian open, there has been a different atmosphere atm, where the big 4 aren't as godlike as before where there is some sense of chance to break into their realm. Tennis is one of the greatest sports since it is unpredictable, like we all thought Roger will plummet but continues to maintain his level (except for Rome :( ) Would bet more on Nadal but Djokovic is damn hungry for the Career Grand Slam.

Recondit

ヽ(" `Д´)ノ
HSC

The field will be the most open in previous years although I fully expect and anticipate a Nadal vs Djokovic final. Djokovic has won their past 4 meetings consecutively and has been 12-6 since 2011. However since 2011, their GS H2H is tied 3-3. If Djokovic's wrist holds up, he should be a lock into the semi-finals at least whereas Nadal I am not sure of; I think a 2009 upset will be on the cards especially as Nadal's decline is becoming more obvious with his movement.

Dark horses:
Kei Nishikori (High susceptibility to injuries, I believe he will steamroll in the first week but will fall in the second week - QF)
Grigor Dimitrov (In the past has lacked serious fitness, although he made QF in Australia, his draw was weak and Nadal had blisters in his match so I don't think he will make a breakthrough here - R4)
Milos Raonic (A consistent player but has lacked fortitude in GS matches - QF)
Fabio Fognini (A magnificent shotmaker... nah JK will clown out of RG by R4)
Ernests Gulbis (Unorthodox ballbasher - I trust him to make QF although why he is playing in Nice is a mystery)
Alexandr Dolgopolov (Suffers from an illness which contributes to his consistency; his form has died out leading into RG - R4)

61shakalaka

HSC
N/A

Nadal~! The one and only~ Ok I sound a bit too excited, but I'm indeed very excited to see him performing this season hahaha. So far, he did a pretty solid job in my very biased opinion. Too bad I will miss a few livestream games though... thank you very much group projects....

Axio

=o
HSC

As long as Novak doesn't win idc who does.

OMGITzJustin

HSC
N/A

hoping for a nadal redemption

Recondit

ヽ(" `Д´)ノ
HSC

:rotfl:

Also main draw will be released online (can watch on youtube I think) 7:30pm today - not too sure about timezone differences.
Good news is that Kokk, Groth and Duckworth are in the final qualifying rounds! However, I would rate Groth and Duckworth underdogs against their opponents :uhoh:

Attachments

Recondit

ヽ(" `Д´)ノ
HSC

Should be starting soon...

On a side note, Berdych has a fabulous RG outfit :awesome:

Attachments

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad

Should be starting soon...

On a side note, Berdych has a fabulous RG outfit :awesome:

Berdych has unique fashion tastes :haha:

First the soccer jersey (basically) during the Australian open.

Now that outfit for the French :haha:

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad

Projected Quarters

TOP HALF

Nadal v Ferrer

- Nadal could face Almagro and/or Dimitrov earlier on as well if my information is correct.

Wawrinka v Murray

BOTTOM HALF

Federer v Berdych

Djokovic v Raonic

- Djokovic could end up facing Nishikori rather than Raonic.

MY OPINIONS ON THESE POTENTIAL MATCH-UPS
- Ferrer has beaten Nadal during this clay season. Expect a 4 set match at least. I don't think Ferrer will be crushed by Nadal like in last year's final.
- Also, I think Nadal might meet Almagro if my information is correct - a guy who beat him in Barcelona.
- Wawrinka v Murray will be interesting. Wawrinka should win in that match-up (assuming both reach the QFs) since its clay (and Murray is terribad on clay compared to grass and hard) but who knows.
- Federer faces the troublesome Berdych. Berdych is a bad match-up for Roger nowadays so Federer won't be too pleased.
- Djokovic struggled against Raonic in Rome and Nishikori is troublesome for anyone.

But assuming all goes to plan.

Wawrinka v Nadal
Federer v Djokovic

Interesting.
Will we get a final where its the Monte Carlo finals rematch? I.e. the Swiss duo.
Or will we get a final where its the Rome finals rematch? I.e. Djokodal.

Recondit

ヽ(" `Д´)ノ
HSC

Recondit

ヽ(" `Д´)ノ
HSC

Projected Quarters

TOP HALF

Nadal v Ferrer

- Nadal could face Almagro and/or Dimitrov earlier on as well if my information is correct.

Wawrinka v Murray

BOTTOM HALF

Federer v Berdych

Djokovic v Raonic

- Djokovic could end up facing Nishikori rather than Raonic.

MY OPINIONS ON THESE POTENTIAL MATCH-UPS
- Ferrer has beaten Nadal during this clay season. Expect a 4 set match at least. I don't think Ferrer will be crushed by Nadal like in last year's final.
- Also, I think Nadal might meet Almagro if my information is correct - a guy who beat him in Barcelona.
- Wawrinka v Murray will be interesting. Wawrinka should win in that match-up (assuming both reach the QFs) since its clay (and Murray is terribad on clay compared to grass and hard) but who knows.
- Federer faces the troublesome Berdych. Berdych is a bad match-up for Roger nowadays so Federer won't be too pleased.
- Djokovic struggled against Raonic in Rome and Nishikori is troublesome for anyone.

But assuming all goes to plan.

Wawrinka v Nadal
Federer v Djokovic

Interesting.
Will we get a final where its the Monte Carlo finals rematch? I.e. the Swiss duo.
Or will we get a final where its the Rome finals rematch? I.e. Djokodal.
Raonic as a top 8 seed on clay :haha:
Hopefully replaced by Claykori or Kyrgios

I actually think Tomic may have a chance as Gasquet is dealing with back problems atm which also may contribute to lack of match practice

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad

Raonic as a top 8 seed on clay :haha:
Hopefully replaced by Claykori or Kyrgios

I actually think Tomic may have a chance as Gasquet is dealing with back problems atm which also may contribute to lack of match practice
Raonic played a hell of a match against Djokovic in the Rome semis.

In fact, he was like 3-4 points away from beating him in the 2nd set tiebreak iirc (after winning the 1st tiebreak) but Novak found his game at the right time.

Novak struggles against big servers so Raonic might be more troublesome for him - compared to another baseliner like Nishikori (even though Kei is a tough opponent nowadays).

I think Hewitt has a winnable 1st round. Hopefully he gets to the 3rd or 4th round to upset some seeds.

Recondit

ヽ(" `Д´)ノ
HSC

Ehh I guess Raonic played decently in Rome but his RG 1 round match was ugly - poor 1st serve % and DFs (Kyrgios was even worse)

Even though Nishikori's hip wasn't 100%, I am surprised he didnt take set - If it wasnt a slam, I think he wouldve withdrawn - Klizan was in his in-form god mode, expecting a Raonic-Klizan match

Thiem looking good
Nadal, Federer and Djokovic were average despite lopsided scores
Benneteau-Bagnis and Melzer-Goffin pretty decent matches

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad

So Wawrinka and Nishikori got upset in the 1st round...

Yeah Novak is probably like ''why did I draw Federer instead of Wawrinka?''.

No Wawrinka v Nadal semi-finals now.

Maybe Murray v Nadal?

Recondit

ヽ(" `Д´)ノ
HSC

:cool: Ferrer taking 1st set against.Nadal 6-4. Due to earlier rain delays, if Nadal is to win, will probably need to finish match tomorrow as RG normally suspends matches at 9pm :D Note that conditions favour Ferrer (SL court apparently faster than PC, damp surface to neutralise spin)

Possible Clayray vs Ferrer semi-final - Murrays backhand quite solid and also more offensive than usual in match with Monfils

Djokovic vs Gulbis semis is quite intriguing especially since they used to be close friends (I would predict Djokovic in 4 similar to Cilic match where he played a mediocre set - prediction probably wrong as always)

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad

:cool: Ferrer taking 1st set against.Nadal 6-4. Due to earlier rain delays, if Nadal is to win, will probably need to finish match tomorrow as RG normally suspends matches at 9pm :D Note that conditions favour Ferrer (SL court apparently faster than PC, damp surface to neutralise spin)

Possible Clayray vs Ferrer semi-final - Murrays backhand quite solid and also more offensive than usual in match with Monfils

Djokovic vs Gulbis semis is quite intriguing especially since they used to be close friends (I would predict Djokovic in 4 similar to Cilic match where he played a mediocre set - prediction probably wrong as always)
After the 2nd set, Nadal just stepped up his game against Ferrer :(

Murray v Nadal

Gulbis v Djokovic

I'm rooting for Gulbis to pull off a Wawrinka run.

Wawrinka's route to the AO title:
QF - Djokovic.
SF - Berdych.
F - Nadal.

Gulbis' possible route to the possible FO title:
4th round - Federer (more like - Chokerer)
QF - Berdych
SF - Djokovic
F - Nadal (most likely, if he somehow pulls off a miracle to beat Djokovic).

Basically the same 3 players Stan faced from QF onwards at the AO :haha:

Beating the entire of the Big 3 + Berdych and basically, the King of Clay in the FO final. Would be the greatest run in a slam ever.

Realistically, we're going to see a Djokodal final.

Recondit

ヽ(" `Д´)ノ
HSC

After the 2nd set, Nadal just stepped up his game against Ferrer :(

Murray v Nadal

Gulbis v Djokovic

I'm rooting for Gulbis to pull off a Wawrinka run.

Wawrinka's route to the AO title:
QF - Djokovic.
SF - Berdych.
F - Nadal.

Gulbis' possible route to the possible FO title:
4th round - Federer (more like - Chokerer)
QF - Berdych
SF - Djokovic
F - Nadal (most likely, if he somehow pulls off a miracle to beat Djokovic).

Basically the same 3 players Stan faced from QF onwards at the AO :haha:

Beating the entire of the Big 3 + Berdych and basically, the King of Clay in the FO final. Would be the greatest run in a slam ever.

Realistically, we're going to see a Djokodal final.
ugh as soon as I went to sleep, everything I said went the opposite way lol

Yeah it seems Nadal reduced ues from first set alot and Murray looking a bit streaky

I also liked Wawrinkas run as it looks to set precedence for unpredictability in gs draws (Quite frankly its much more interesting for players outside the big 4 to win a gs) - The last player to beat Federer, Djokovic, Nadal in the same tournament was Nalbandian in Madrid around 2008 I think

But imo Djokovic has yet to raise his level so far

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)