The Beijing Olympics (1 Viewer)

ZJ NingNing

HSC
Re: Boycott of Olympics

I think I have made all my points here, and I probably will not come back to discuss it any further.

but I have found the names/uni of the professors I was talking about
1. Dr. Goldstein from Case Western Reserve University. He is fluent in Tibetan
2. Dr. Grunfeld from State University of New York
3. Dr. Xu Mingxu (he was exiled to Tibet by the Chinese government, under the ruling of the Communist party, so he has not reasons to be prejudiced for China, as I admittedly am)

ZJ NingNing

HSC

withoutaface said:
1. Do you consume or planning to consume alcohol regularly when the same amount of food that made you alcohol could have saved the lives of the starving people living in poverty?

That's actually an invalid question. Poverty occurs because of heavy handed government intervention, not because I'm drinking beers on the other side of the world.
2. Do you have a pet and spend unnecessary money on it when it could have been living happily in the wild and that money used to promote Human Rights?
We have fish in my office, their food costs maybe $2 a week.
3. Do you drive to places when you could have caught a bus or even walk and let the gas used to save the people in poverty who were frozen to death? Or the ethanol in your petrol that used up masses of land that could have produced life-saving food?
I walk an hour each day to and from the bus stop, from which I catch a bus.
4. Do you prefer talking about some hot celebrity’s personal life rather than promoting Human Rights?
No.
5. Do you have a roof over your head, food in the fridge, money in the bank and work/study for less than 15 hours a day and still complain about how unfortunate you are?
No. I'm fortunate to live in a country where my basic freedoms are respected, and where there is plenty of opportunity for any person who wants to chase it because the government isn't out crushing the entrepreneurial spirit.

Burn.
Doesnt burn me, I am happy to know that there are at least some people out there who are doing the right things.

I am ashamed that I drive to places when I could be walking.

ZJ NingNing

HSC

melanieeeee. said:
[/size][/font]

notice the word you... I, personally am not affected by what is written in Germany or in France. So I personally do not care. From the TV News that I have seen in Australia as I have already mentioned they hardly talk about the reasons why Tibetan's riot but rather just show them doing it (making it as if they are the bad guys).

i understand that China needs Tibet to be all powerful but at the end of the day if we are talking about what right and what isn't (which you have expressed before that you do want to do what is right) fairness is what is right

Haha blaming Tibetans sadness on Western Media is pretty pathetic. Where is the evidence that they began to feel sorry for themselves as a result of the media? How do you know that they were pretty happy? I'd say the media scales really low compared to China's impact on their happyness.
okay, even if they are pathetic to you, what about the other 11 reasons?

see how you are an idealist, and so am I? we are here discussing about things that we really cant change at the moment instead of doing something that could be more productive? *smile*

got a Myspace?

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC

ZJ NingNing said:
okay, even if they are pathetic to you, what about the other 11 reasons?

see how you are an idealist, and so am I? we are here discussing about things that we really cant change at the moment instead of doing something that could be more productive? *smile*

got a Myspace?
haha i havent finished going through them all... please be patient...

i know we cannot change the problem but i feel that typing this is one way to get the message across, its not as if i can go to China and join the riots and stuff...

nah i dont have a myspace lol

ZJ NingNing

HSC

melanieeeee. said:
haha i havent finished going through them all... please be patient...

i know we cannot change the problem but i feel that typing this is one way to get the message across, its not as if i can go to China and join the riots and stuff...

nah i dont have a myspace lol
I agree with your opinion on how this is getting the message across.

too bad you dont have a myspace, I wanted to add you as a friend. Like Kevin Rudd said, chinese people value the friendship that can withstand discussion on different opinions most. and I find you a very reasonable person. well, I gotta go soon, but nice chatting to you today, you bet I learnt alot. It was pretty productive after all.

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC

4.This boycott is the sort of propaganda that will only intensify the problem and cause more violent riots in Tibet. A Han girl was already burnt to death by Tibetan extremists! And she was going to be married… and not to mention dozens of Han people beaten to death!
Again I don't support the thing about what they did to the Han girl but this propaganda may help create greater awareness to those that are not directly related to it. and again this only shows to the extent to how the Tibetans feel about this and again if they had nothing to riot about this wouldn't have happened

5.Dalai lama is a fairly reasonable man, right? At least you have to agree that he is the representative of Tibet. He himself objects boycotting the Olympics and threaten to resign if there is more violence. Without him there to restrain the Tibetan extremists, how many more people will be killed in Tibet in future?
why does anyone need to be killed when the answer could be so simple.

ZJ NingNing said:
5.Boycotting the Olympics = Boycotting China;
Boycotting China does not equal Boycotting the Chinese government.
If you boycott the Olympics, the first ones that will feel insulted are the Chinese civilians. They will begin to search and unite with other victims of the boycott. It will not be hard to spot the Chinese government that is also a victim. The Chinese people that did not support their government before will turn to support it, or at least hate the government less; the Chinese people that already support their government will support it more. Boycotting the Olympics will only result in Communism prevailing.
so in youre opinion they should do nothing and just let it slide just because it may create less support? yeah that will solve the issue for sure.

for one thing, it has definitely created greater awareness outside China

ZJ NingNing said:
7. The people who want to boycott the Olympics call themselves Human Rights Activists, right? Did they realise by calling out for the rights of the Tibetans, they are actually abusing the rights of the Chinese civilians? The Chinese tourism will suffer and lots of Chinese people will in turn lose their jobs and die as a result. When those Human Rights Activists are trying to fill one hole, they are making another bigger hole in the world. (There is a FAR better way to promote human rights, please see quiz 1 underneath the 10 reasons)
boo hoo awwww China is suppose to be the victim now, its called a trade off, the issue of Tibet and them begin exploited which has lasted for a long time is greater than the Olympics in China which only last months not years. also again this wouldn't have happened if their wasn't an issue

ZJ NingNing said:
[

8. If you hate a country’s policies, boycott its government and NOT its people. Let me give you an example of the people who are doing exactly the opposite, venting their hatred onto the innocent people: um… lets see, the TERRIORISTS? Wow, how did I ever think of that?
The Olympics happened to be the cause of media attention so I guess they figured it was a smart move in terms of creating greater awareness?

ZJ NingNing said:
[

9. The people boycotting the Olympics only heard the Tibetan’s side of the story. It is like judging a court case with only one party present to speak their point of view, and it does not take an Einstein to figure out which party is missing, right?
from the points you have given me on reasons 'pro' China tbh its not that strong enough to influence me

Last edited:

ZJ NingNing

HSC

melanieeeee. said:
Again I don't support the thing about what they did to the Han girl but this propaganda may help create greater awareness to those that are not directly related to it. and again this only shows to the extent to how the Tibetans feel about this and again if they had nothing to riot about this wouldn't have happened

why does anyone need to be killed when the answer could be so simple.
there is no simple solution to an issue as complicated as this.

and if you think the Tibetans do those unspeakable things to show the extent of their feelings, what about the terriorists? they could be saying that they are killing innocent people in the Western world to show the extent of their feelings too!

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC

ZJ NingNing said:
there is no simple solution to an issue as complicated as this.

and if you think the Tibetans do those unspeakable things to show the extent of their feelings, what about the terriorists? they could be saying that they are killing innocent people in the Western world to show the extent of their feelings too!
Like I have said I do not support them doing that I am just saying that it does show the extent to how they feel... doesn't nessessarily mean its right

ZJ NingNing

HSC

melanieeeee. said:
Like I have said I do not support them doing that I am just saying that it does show the extent to how they feel... doesn't nessessarily mean its right
okay, it IS NOT RIGHT, agreed.

anyway, I HAVE to go, its great talking to you, Melanie, now I need to do some more research as well as trying my best to look at this from an objective point of view.

danlan

HSC

It's good to see a change in the title of this thread.

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC

ZJ NingNing said:
okay, it IS NOT RIGHT, agreed.

anyway, I HAVE to go, its great talking to you, Melanie, now I need to do some more research as well as trying my besthttp://community.boredofstudies.org/editpost.php?do=editpost&p=3382021
Edit/Delete Message to look at this from an objective point of view.
haha how i did you know my name

oh right my username :eek:

nice arguing with you to :p

ZJ NingNing said:
[

10. ‘The Chinese government is wrong and the Tibetans should be freed’. This is how the people who want to boycott the Olympics think: in black and white terms and oversimplification. They ignore the grey area that is present in every issue and this proves them to be idealists. Yes, the idealists may get their opinions across, but it takes the practicalists to get things done.
like i said the points that you have given me aren't strong enough to influence me.

ZJ NingNing said:
[

11. IF Tibet EVER becomes independent of China because the pressure from the Western world, its relationship with China is probably not so good. Given the conditions of the Tibetan region, they will have to rely heavily on its neighbours to develop. China probably will not help so much; it is all up to the Western world and probably India to support it with money and food. But any proud man will not be happy with this sort of pity, and the Tibetans have certainly proven themselves to be proud.
so this is an excuse to continue exploiting the Tibetans?

12. Being a pro-Tibet is not some newest trend of the month. Some people did not really look deep into the situation and listen to both side of the story. They are only saying that they support Tibet’s independence to make themselves sound cool. It probably will make them sound cool, but it makes them disgusting hypocrites too.
all i can say to this is AHAHAHAHAHHAHAH. I could say the same you those that are 'anti Tibets'. You guys agree that the right thing should happen yet you completely support the opposite

haha i think ill finish the rest of the arguments another time... im off to the gym :)

Last edited:

HalcyonSky

HSC

ZJ NingNing said:
how can you be sure that it is the logo made by China? it could simply be some logo some stupid people made and put on the web.

but if that is the logo made by China, then that is pretty bad.
are you fucking kidding me?

no wonder you believe everything china tells you

Last edited:

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC

ZJ NingNing said:
13. I have studied the history of China (4706 years) pretty well and I believe that I know more of its history than most of the people supporting the boycott. From its history, Chinese people are proven different from ice – they do not crack under pressure. In fact, they are shown to be something more like the characteristics of a spring. If you press it the wrong way, they will bounce up from underneath your finger and jump higher than ever before. Anyone who knows me well should have seen an example of that Chinese Spirit.

If you want evidence of the Chinese spirit, you can find it in the Ming dynasty, Sui Dynasty and the Chun-Qiu period of the Chinese history.

why is it so important to know the history of China? The issue is that China is exploiting Tibetans... I don't see how anything youve written here relates to the issue. And if you are going to study China's History isn't only fair to check out Tibet's history as you said you have to look at the situation from both persectives.

Quiz 1 (are you REALLY fighting poverty)
1. Do you consume or planning to consume alcohol regularly when the same amount of food that made you alcohol could have saved the lives of the starving people living in poverty? No, I dont usually drink alchol
2. Do you have a pet and spend unnecessary money on it when it could have been living happily in the wild and that money used to promote Human Rights? No, I don't own a pet
3. Do you drive to places when you could have caught a bus or even walk and let the gas used to save the people in poverty who were frozen to death? Or the ethanol in your petrol that used up masses of land that could have produced life-saving food? I catch a bus and a train then walk (on a usual day)
4. Do you prefer talking about some hot celebrity’s personal life rather than promoting Human Rights? tbh celebrities dont interest me that much
5. Do you have a roof over your head, food in the fridge, money in the bank and work/study for less than 15 hours a day and still complain about how unfortunate you are? I dont complain although I wouldn't mind if it was better
Did you know: if you keep any of those 5 things up you can be more efficient at saving lives than boycotting the Olympics or whatever. But I suppose it would be much cooler to tell your friends that you are boycotting the Olympics than doing those 5 things. But if you think reputation is more important than your actual deed itself, I have nothing further to say to you.

I dont think I could have been more efficent.

Quiz 2 (how much do you REALLY know about Tibet)
1. When did Tibet first become a part of China and which ethnic occupied it?
2. When Tibet first became a part of China, who was the ruler of China?
3. How long was Tibet controlling itself for before China started governing it again in around 1956?
4. What was the situation like in Tibet when it was controlling itself?
5. What are the main policies that the Chinese government made regarding Tibet besides the ‘One China’ policy?
6. What are the results of those policies? Or, how has living conditions in Tibet changed since 1956?
7. What is the percentage of the Tibetans (living in China) in the Chinese population?
8. How much of the Chinese land did they want to occupy when they talk about becoming independent?
9. What sort of land is Tibet? Tropical, desert or what?
Thank you for reading.
What the hell is the point of this quiz?

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC

ZJ NingNing said:
how can you be sure that it is the logo made by China? it could simply be some logo some stupid people made and put on the web.

but if that is the logo made by China, then that is pretty bad.

You don't get sarcasm, do you?

danlan

HSC

chicky_pie said:
It hasn't changed? or maybe you have Chinese eyes :D
Originally, it is "Boycott of Olypmpics".
Now it is "The Beijing Olympics".
"Chinese eyes" might be more acute?

Aralia

Mieow...
HSC

I knew I should've given up long ago - this thread is useless for those believing that there're severe human rights issues in China. There're none. Period.

It's all media hype. It will all become clear as time goes on.

Referencing sources would just lead to more arguments and rude comments from those who're adamant that China's guilty. N.B. Religion and politics shouldn't mix in the first place, anyway.

The reasons why we leave our native country:
- Further education to further our horizons when we eventually return to work in our country of birth or not.
- See the world.
- etc etc.

Same thing...if you think Australia's great and then you leave to work in the UK or whatever, and someone asks you the same question. Wouldn't you feel offended?! If you come to China and we'd also say to you: Go back to where you came from...but we won't. There's a real sense of community back there. Anyone who comes in and contribute/work, we'd treat you like guests.

On a similar note, there was one story where a Chinese couple got into a bit of trouble in the US and they gave their daughter away (temporarily) to a Christian family to be taken care of while they worked out their legal matters. They were wronged but there was so much racism going on. Meanwhile, the family didn't want to give their daughter back to them, changing her name and calling them scum, even though they worked night and day to earn a living after being wronged. It eventually took them 7 years to fight the battle. Still, the parents have taught their daughter to see the couple as having given her "the most selfless love" and to be grateful for their care.

There're so many good things about the country which Australia would never find out if we continue to report like we have. RE: remember that SBS or ABC show in December 2006 about Mao and the "opening of China"? It shocked so many people that we've come this far. Seriously, we've always been good.

Goodbye. Out of this forum now.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)