• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

The Best R&B/Rap/Hip-Hop for 2006 (1 Viewer)

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
propped ya...ive always loved dont stop :)

can someone explain to me what the hell e-green is...and is there 2 jukeboxes or something :S

hiphophooray123

Twisted firestarter
HSC
twas bored so sent a random e-mail to 96.1

Hello,

I understand that 96.1 is a commercial, mainstream radio station and it must provide the most popular music to the majority of listeners to win the 'ratings war.'

However, dont you think, being a proclaimed 'HIP HOP and R&B' radio station, that you guys should also seek credibility amongst hip-hop and R&B fans. In saying 'hip hop and R&B fans' i mean fans of NON-GENERIC hip-hop and R&B, the hip-hop and R&B that many (actually 'few' is probably a more appropriate word) in Sydney grew up with and hold close to their hearts. REAL hip-hop and R&B.

This aforementioned credibility is NOT achieved through only playing 50 cent, game, chris brown, cassie and other POP artists and then throwing the occasional hip-hop song in the mix at like 1am. By 'pop' i do not mean the term 'popular' but rather generic and exploitative of the genres.

Why does the program persist on including stereotypical wannabe-gangster characters like 'habib' or shows like 'pizza radio.' This will only perpetuate the problem we have of 'posing' or 'hip hop role-playing' (as i like to call it, just think of how little kids like to role-play their favourite movies like harry potter...this teen 'gang' formation we are seeing is just a more dangerous form of that) that is so dominant amongst teens. The more you associate stereotypical wannabe-gangster teenagers with 'hip-hop' the more wannabe-gangster behaviour we will get.

Why do you allow 'shout outs' to poser gangs throughout Sydney, this is not helping the problem of hip-hop posing at all.

Instead of educating the mindless trend-following teenyboppers that constitute the majority of 96.1 listeners on what hip-hop and R&B actually is you continuously have generic songs on repeat to reinforce their ignorance. Or maybe the 96.1 crew are ignorant to hip-hop and R&B too and just got together and said "hey urban music is cool now let's contribute to the death of the genre to make alot of money off of it." Tell me, which one is it? And no paying Clinton Sparks to DJ for the program isn't going to save it (he doesn't give you exclusives anyway).

These complaints really just stem from the claim of 96.1 to be a 'hip hop and R&B' station. Misrepresentation really pisses me off. If your going to claim to be a hip hop and R&B station then how about playing some offerings from the following artists (and no, not their mainstream songs either, because a few of them are forced to create mainstream songs in order to get paid nowadays):

hip hop:

mos def
the roots
The Pharcyde
KRS-One and Boogie Down Productions
Juice Crew
Big L
Jay-Z (some of his hip-hop tracks like those from the album 'reasonable doubt')
Nas (some of his hip-hop tracks like those from the album 'illmatic')
Common (some of his hip-hop tracks like those from the album 'like water for chocolate' or 'one day itll all make sense)
De La Soul
A Tribe Called Quest
Binary Star
Goodie Mobb
Scarface and Geto Boys
Beanie Sigel
Notorious B.I.G (no not songs from 'duets', songs from 'ready to die')
Big Daddy Kane

This is, of course, to supplement your 'old school' music, as most of these artists hip-hop songs are old.

R&B:

anthony hamilton
luther vandross
alexander o'neil
the four tops
brian mc'knight
babyface
the temptations
al green
D' Angelo
Musiq Soulchild (he has a new song called 'impossible' so don't go saying 'oh but theres no new stuff).

THAT is what hip-hop and R&B is

not:

50 cent
chris brown
game
cassie
christina milian
savage
nelly
pussycat dolls
bow wow
juelz santana
black eyed peas
ying yang twins
massari
young joc
t-pain

Otherwise, to avoid misrepresenting the genre, name your program 'the number one station for mainstream generic urban music'

For your information, none of the songs on 96.1 are exclusive, they are all a few weeks/months behind.

Yours Sincerely,

Chris

P.S The song 'git it' is by 'bun-b' FEATURING the ying yang twins...NOT just 'ying yang twins' as it lists in your top 100 played. Or maybe Bun-B, a legend in Southern Hip-Hop, hasn't sold enough records for you to include him on the list?

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
holy shit lol :p I wonder how they would deal with that. It's much easier to ignore what you said and continue to mint money by satisfying the masses, albeit killing the genre. If 96.1 were to implement the changes you have recommended, they would probably lose ratings, those wannabe "thugs" don't know what 'real' hip hop is and they will continue with their ignorance.

hiphophooray123

Twisted firestarter
HSC
no but i do think they should maintain a balance if they are going to continue to claim to be a part hip hop station, otherwise it is complete misrepresentation and 'just another station capitalising of the rise of hip-pop'

also they should at least attempt to educate on hip hop instead of reinforcing teenyboppers ignorance like 'yes what you are listening to is hip hop, you are a hip hop fan, keep calling yourself that and giving others negative impressions on hip hop, which leads them to bag out the entire genre based on 50 cent and chris brown'

otay

HSC
Great Email dude. Dont really think they are gonna change, but who gives a shit. I have found increasingly recently that even people who don't know anything about hip hop, do know that Ying Yang and Shitty Cent and all thse types that are frequented on 96.1 are NOT hip hop. Just don't listen to it I guess. Listen to FBi, they often play some great new school hip hop, and 2ser do also, especially on friday arvos. The other day I heard a remix of Big L - Da Graveyard and it was fucking dope. ALso triple J play some good hip hop too, especially on the hip hop show on monday nights. They play more aussie hip hop but I am really surprised at how solid the oz hip hop scene is. So fuck 96.1 It's gay, it's presenters are gay, its listeners are gay and its music is gay-except for the Masta Ace song I heard and the Kool G Rap one also. Havent heard em since though, maybe they werent hip hop enough. Oh and don't you love their definition of old school?? It seems anything prior to 2000 is old school. What a joke. Thank fucking god my illmatic cd didnt get stolen

hiphophooray123

Twisted firestarter
HSC
dude replied to the email lol

Thanks for your thoughts Chris. First up we are a commercial R&B station. I.e.
we have to make money to survive. People like yourself who have a true
understanding of what Urban music is are far and far between. We are are
popularising the artists and songs that are mass appeal. We ask our listeners
via the web what they want and this is what they want to hear. The most
importamt thing is you have a described a radio station that YOU would like
hear, it's impossible to tailor a station for every individiual.

We dont claim exlusives, but we play a lot of imports and we play a lot of
unsigned acts. I resent the fact you say they are all months behind as we work
off US Urban radio airplay.

Anyway, if you dont like it, dont listen, I would have thought that a station
that mainly played hip hop and R&B would be better than one that doesnt play
any.

As for Ying Yang Twins Ft Bun B, that's what it said on the copy we got.

Once again thanks for the input, it's still early days for us and there is a lot
of music to sill put i'm hopefully you'll hear moe of YOUR faves too. I think
we're doing ok for a station with a staff of 5. By the way Fat Pizza is a comedy
show and has nothing to do with Urban music.

Charlie.

he totally ignored the point that they should have a balance if they want to claim to be a 'hip hop' station

esquared

HSC
96.1 is better though, sure its a pop station leaning towards the hiphop side of pop, but thats some fun shit to put on when you're driving somewhere, sometimes
plus, they syndicate Smashtime radio which is pretty cool.

fbi rules all though. listen to my mates' show "its very pleasant" on monday nights, he plays some amazing hiphop

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
better still make a cd with all your favourite tracks and you wont need the radio at all :)

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
Supra said:
better still make a cd with all your favourite tracks and you wont need the radio at all :)
What about pov cunts like me without a CD player in their car. :(

(Getting one these holidays!)

theone123

blue essence
HSC
hiphophooray123 said:
dude replied to the email lol

he totally ignored the point that they should have a balance if they want to claim to be a 'hip hop' station
haha wats wrong with fat pizza radio.... so damn funny shit... lebos haha

theone123

blue essence
HSC
some nice songs

Letoya ft Bun B - Tear the club up

LL Cool ft Lloyd Banks, Hot Rod, 50 Cent - Freeze (Remix)

Crestwood's_G

In Elegance
HSC
theone123 said:
some nice songs

Letoya ft Bun B - Tear the club up

LL Cool ft Lloyd Banks, Hot Rod, 50 Cent - Freeze (Remix)
LL sucks now and so doeos 50 cent...banks is cool who the fuck is hot rod???

and too chris:
hahaha

i rang their advice line a few times and said the same thing...and they didnt respond...hey whats the email i wanna email them

hiphophooray123

Twisted firestarter
HSC
Programme Director
961Pd@arn.com.au

hot rod is a new member of G-Unit

speaking of that, news/a rumour for all the G-Unit fans:

spider loc was kicked out of g-unit a few days ago because of his truce with game, god damn 50 has issues with 'loyalty.'

this is a rumour though

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
redruM said:
What about pov cunts like me without a CD player in their car. :(

(Getting one these holidays!)
poor thing :(

esquared said:
Because we all love predictability and hearing what we already know.
you would rarely here something new to you on 96.1...but i understand where you're coming from.

chrisrykers88

HSC
anyone else listen to hip hop?

hey guys,

im a big hip hop fan and i know its not real popular in australia due to the lack of well-known oz hip hop aside from the hilltop hoods so i was wondering if any of you listen to it??? if you do, then post here, tell me about it, and also, check out this hip hop forum and join if youre interested, cheers:

http://www.rapworlds.com/forums/register.php?referrerid=24657

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)