The Coles Thread (1 Viewer)

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
I got told off for excessive clearences too and I was like WTF, how am I supposed to adhere to a "rule" that I wasn't even told about, sorry I'm not a mindreader.
As per the law, ignorance is not a defence.

jirwin

HSC
I know about excessive clearances but this is the first time I've heard that you can only do 1 clearance per hour - that so does not happen at my store.

Trentyboi

HSC
But like, we're only insured for so much cash in the till. You'd be pretty retarded to rob a Coles, but there are other posibilities. Like a fire or something similar to that I guess.

Craven

HSC
Hm.. I don't see how you would NEED to clear your draw of excessive funds more than once an hour anyway... surely you're not turning over that much cash?

greekgun

HSC
Eh, i tend to do a clearance at the end of my shift before counting, or when i have stack of 50', and when i do clearances i dont rly worry about the limits on how much u can send up because thats just there way of making us do clearances more regularly incase some one robs the til.

Trentyboi

HSC
Hm.. I don't see how you would NEED to clear your draw of excessive funds more than once an hour anyway... surely you're not turning over that much cash?
My store has literally tens of thousands of customers a week. In the CBD of Brisbane where most transactions are less than a basket, most people don't pay with eftpos. They pay with $50's mainly.

Generally I did more than one when someone had left such an amount of cash JUST before the message saying you need to do a clearance came up.

Kego

HSC
I got a group interview at Coles. According to the email, it comprises of group activities and a brief interview with the manager.

I'm really nervous about this, I have 2 SACs at school and only received the SMS/email today, with one day's notice. The interview is set at 6:30pm-7:30pm. What do I wear such as 'suitable attire'? My school uniform is quite formal: blazer, slacks, shirt, tie, black leather shoes. BUT would it seem slack that I'm still wearing this at 6:30pm?
What are the group activities like?
What kind of questions are asked?
Basically what happens?

Last edited:

yoddle

is cool
HSC
It's not unlike the ADFA process; rescuing dummies from smoke-filled caravans, scaling the sides of ships, performing CPR, thorough psychological testing etc.

bdude

HSC
Hi guys,
I got a group interview at the Oakleigh branch of Coles. According to the email, it comprises of group activities and a brief interview with the manager.

I'm really nervous about this, I have 2 SACs at school and only received the SMS/email today, with one day's notice. The interview is set at 6:30pm-7:30pm. What do I wear such as 'suitable attire'? My school uniform is quite formal: blazer, slacks, shirt, tie, black leather shoes. BUT would it seem slack that I'm still wearing this at 6:30pm?
What are the group activities like?
What kind of questions are asked?
Basically what happens?
Which department are you applying for?

I never had a group interview for Coles, so I can't advise you on what they contain.

I would say "suitable attire" would be your shoes, plain slacks and you could probably wear your school top - or just a regular button & collar shirt.

Kego

HSC
I wore my school pants (navy), a dress shirt and black leather shoes.
The group activities basically comprised of talking to a partner then introducing him/her to a small group (16 people split up into 4x4). Then we had a list of things like a spill, angry customer, phone, etc, etc. Then you had to within your group list which had highest priority... All this was observed by a supervisor and whenever I argued why something was better i.e. customer safety > angry customer, she wrote something in her clip board...

We then had a brief 1on1 interview, which I think I stuffed up on, my interviewer was err quite attractive and wore a miniskirt+tights. She often changed the position in which she crossed her legs, obviously I had my eyes on her face on the whole time, but since we were sitting down her legs was still in my vision.

One time when I was answering a question she changed her position again and I THINK I lowered my eyes for like 1/2 a second and started stumbling half way through... like 'err uhh umm ehh... yeah' and she started chuckling >.<!

Anyway I chose any position because I didn't know whats good (never worked in retail before). Would it be possible to change this later, if I find it crap?

Also I wrote down I was available 5pm-10pm on Mon>Thurs. 5pm-12am Fri, 7am-12am Sat and 7am-10pm Sun. Would they actually expect me to work a number of shifts a week, because it was never mentioned during the interview. I still attend school so I only want 1-3 shifts a week, but any day of the week would be fine because I'll devote the days I don't work for homework.

bdude

HSC
I wore my school pants (navy), a dress shirt and black leather shoes.
The group activities basically comprised of talking to a partner then introducing him/her to a small group (16 people split up into 4x4). Then we had a list of things like a spill, angry customer, phone, etc, etc. Then you had to within your group list which had highest priority... All this was observed by a supervisor and whenever I argued why something was better i.e. customer safety > angry customer, she wrote something in her clip board...
This sounds more like the (unsuccessful) interview I had at Woolworths. And you were right to put customer safety ahead of angry customers.

Anyway I chose any position because I didn't know whats good (never worked in retail before). Would it be possible to change this later, if I find it crap?
Is this a new store? I'm only asking because usually they interview you for specific departments, by that department's manager

Also I wrote down I was available 5pm-10pm on Mon>Thurs. 5pm-12am Fri, 7am-12am Sat and 7am-10pm Sun. Would they actually expect me to work a number of shifts a week, because it was never mentioned during the interview. I still attend school so I only want 1-3 shifts a week, but any day of the week would be fine because I'll devote the days I don't work for homework.
I'm guessing you'll be casual and you'll get as many or as little shifts as the department manager needs you for.

I know the managers at my store are fairly good at not giving us school kids too many shifts - especially with the recent wage budget cuts in my deparment.

I can't tell you how many shifts you should get, but it is usually pretty regular (for a while). For the majority of my time in Service, I was on ~12hr/wk (3 x 4hr), but now I'm only getting 6-9 hours and 6 of them are not even in Service.

Kego

HSC
Nah it's the Oakleigh store, been there ever since I can remember. There was 1 manager (I think, seemed more superior than the other staff) and 3 supervisors.

The paper the girl wrote on during the interview had a few names of positions which I didn't really see. I said produce (someone in this thread said it was good) and then any position really.

Being a tad bit nervous, I didn't ask her what the positions on offer were... God, I hope I don't get a crap role like freezer/dairy (cold prone) or mopping the floors all day.

They did mention if there weren't enough positions open at that particular store, they'd discuss other options such as nearby stores. So that might be the reason they asked what positions we were interested in applying for.

HSC
They did mention if there weren't enough positions open at that particular store, they'd discuss other options such as nearby stores. So that might be the reason they asked what positions we were interested in applying for.
This is likely, I remember being interviewed for one store, and offered a position for another. As long as its a store you can get to, its not a big deal.

emmik

HSC
Hey guys. I just got a second interview at Coles. I'm pretty nervous as I didn't attend a group interview, their automatic reply system stuffed up, so they're giving me the benefit of the doubt off my resume only.

Any big yes's or no's for this interview? Anyhting I'd need to know that others would from the group interview?

By the way the store is in Bendigo, so rural kind of, not metro and I'm 15. Incase that makes a difference.

Thanks!!

greekgun

HSC
We then had a brief 1on1 interview, which I think I stuffed up on, my interviewer was err quite attractive and wore a miniskirt+tights. She often changed the position in which she crossed her legs, obviously I had my eyes on her face on the whole time, but since we were sitting down her legs was still in my vision.
Hmm
When i applied for a job a hoyts and had an interview, my interviewer was fair hot, showing massive amouts of cleavage and had a fair short skirt on too. Me thinks this is a tactic to seperate the focuses from the not so focused. Or maybe im paranoid?

jedgar

HSC
hey guys i was wondering if any knew the pay rate for a casual worker, im 14 and 10mths roughly. thx :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)