The Coles Thread (1 Viewer)

bdude

HSC
Thanks for the fast reply. :) Are the PLU's a standard as in they will be the same at woolies? and also is there a sheet or website which has the most commonly used ones? I would have to study that i probably wouldn't remember them from just glancing at the code when manually selecting the product. I had a shocker on the first day, scanning each item a 100 times etc also i had a total mind blank when somebody when it came to celery, in the end I had ask the customer.
I'm not quite sure, I think some might be standard because you can buy apples from Woolworths and Coles and they have the same numbers on them. Here are (probably) the most common ones: Bananas - 1 Tomatoes (normal) - 2 Washed potatoes - 3 Carrots - 6 Brushed potatoes - 5564 Lettuce - 4061 Continental Cucumber - 4593 Watermelon - 5930 Golden Delicious Apple - 4021 Navel Orange - 6470 Granny Smith - 4017 (I think) Hass Avocadoes - 52883, Used to be 4225 but changed for some reason

izzy88

HSC
I'm not quite sure, I think some might be standard because you can buy apples from Woolworths and Coles and they have the same numbers on them. Here are (probably) the most common ones: Bananas - 1 Tomatoes (normal) - 2 Washed potatoes - 3 Carrots - 6 Brushed potatoes - 5564 Lettuce - 4061 Continental Cucumber - 4593 Watermelon - 5930 Golden Delicious Apple - 4021 Navel Orange - 6470 Granny Smith - 4017 (I think) Hass Avocadoes - 52883, Used to be 4225 but changed for some reason
I think they are generally standard. Those are the same codes we used at bilo as well (it's annoying when they change them though!). I also got asked randomly the other day to bring in my passport/birth certificate immediately. Kind of annoyed they couldn't just accept my drivers licence. I had to call my parents and get them to fax a copy of my birth certificate (i don't have any of that stuff with me where i live). Not sure why they suddenly needed it- I'd been working there since half-way through 2007.

jirwin

HSC
I think they are generally standard. Those are the same codes we used at bilo as well (it's annoying when they change them though!). I also got asked randomly the other day to bring in my passport/birth certificate immediately. Kind of annoyed they couldn't just accept my drivers licence. I had to call my parents and get them to fax a copy of my birth certificate (i don't have any of that stuff with me where i live). Not sure why they suddenly needed it- I'd been working there since half-way through 2007.
I was asked to bring in identification as well. We could have birth certificate, passport or drivers license. I just used my license as I had it on me at the time. The sign we have up also says 'photo id'. I don't see why they couldn't use your drivers license - you need to supply your birth certificate to get your license anyway.

proringz

HSC
I have been working at Coles for about 5 months and love it. I'm in service and I have one pet hate, and that is when people spend $29.65 and then go running back to pick up and item that will get them the fuel voucher.

(News flash the $2.60 that you just spent out ways the cost of what you would have saved with the voucher)

/rant
Nah, what's worse is when they ask you to stop every $30 so they can get like 5 vouchers

bouncingfire

HSC
I was asked to bring in identification as well. We could have birth certificate, passport or drivers license. I just used my license as I had it on me at the time. The sign we have up also says 'photo id'. I don't see why they couldn't use your drivers license - you need to supply your birth certificate to get your license anyway.
I read on where that they are cracking down on guys with non working visas or something. I had to take mine to the interview and they photo copied it.

Nah, what's worse is when they ask you to stop every $30 so they can get like 5 vouchers
Whats your normal response when they ask for that?

Last edited:

proringz

HSC
Well, I'm not actually sure if we're actually allowed to do it but I do it anyways as 'customers come first'. I personally don't see any issue (other than its annoying) but i'll ask my manager about this

bouncingfire

HSC
I'm glad i don't have to deal with the tobacco(because I'am under age). From reading other posts its seams like it would get annoying learning to know where each of the 100 types of cigarettes are located on the self :/

izzy88

HSC
i don't know why they couldn't just use by drivers licence either. It was so much bother getting them my birth certificate. Maybe some kind of mass identity fraud? :p

greekgun

HSC
I'm glad i don't have to deal with the tobacco(because I'am under age). From reading other posts its seams like it would get annoying learning to know where each of the 100 types of cigarettes are located on the self :/
eh u get used to it pretty quickly. U do it so many times u just learn where everything is without even trying.

bouncingfire

HSC
so anyway today a week after i started working at coles i get a call from target about a job interview. I handed in the application a few months ago. Iam not sure what to do. Iam thinking if i get fixed shifts with one of the jobs i could work the other one around it. Not sure at the moment. Is it feasible having to two jobs?

empirestrike

HSC
I have been told it is 2 weeks notice for PT members to give notice for a day off (or in my instance, a weekend), however, in the awards (http://www.sda.org.au/images/awards/award41.pdf) it doesn't say anything at all about how much notice to give. Does anyone have a link to where it specifically says 2 weeks? Thanks!

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
it wouldnt say it anywhere specifically, but the requirements for annual leave state that it must be taken with mutual agreement between the employee and employer, as such, the employer would have a right to request 2 weeks notice in order to gain their consent.

As an aside, it also takes about 2 weeks to accrue 1 day of leave, so it makes sense.

JustSam

HSC
Reppin Coles for a few years now.

Pretty much do fill or whatever else they need done. Hopefully I can get Part Time next year and make lots of monies.

zobothebobo

HSC
i need some advice. i just started at coles, on the registers, and it was all good, had my induction, training, and my first shift. but it's been three weeks now and no shifts! so far as i can tell, i didn't muck up completely on my first shift, i mean i wouldn't say i was wonderful or anything but pretty good for my first shift. as far as i can tell my store is pretty busy, and once the tourists comes down it gets even busier. the last time i went in to check my shifts i was told to fill out a little book saying when i was available and a piece of paper saying when i was a available over the christmas period. i'm available pretty much all the time, apart from school, and i'm 15, so i'm cheap. i am failing to see the problem here. so, what should i do? just wait and see if once it gets busier i get more shifts? or are they just going to stuff me around forever, giving me no shifts, but they can do it "because i'm a casual" so they're not obligated to give me hours.

sorry for the long, confusing post.

TheStallion

HSC
@zobothebobo - Ring them. No point asking us, we can't help you get more shifts.

bouncingfire

HSC
I think the employment is done by another department and because of this maybe the checkout is over staffed?

bdude

HSC
I think the employment is done by another department and because of this maybe the checkout is over staffed?
I'm fairly sure it's department/store managers who are in charge of recruitment.

Maybe the rosters had already been done in advance?

empirestrike

HSC
Rosters are done weekly by the Customer Service Manager (ie the main checkout manager), however there are still often a lot of gaps that require filling. Just ring and ask to store manager, keep ringing and asking every few days and you will eventually get shifts. ---------------------------------------------------------- What is the worst that can happen to me if I call in sick for 2 consecutive days with a doctors certificate if i have previously had my leave request for the days denied? Surely they can't fire me if i have a certificate.

dazuleh

HSC
Ah yea, our bar across the registers was repainted a light brown too - that's when the rumor started, but since that employee magazine with the people on the front cover in those shirts, its still being mentioned on the odd occasion.

I'm kind of looking forward to Polo shirts - I'm sick of getting my shirt caught in the bag holders, I'm surprised I haven't lost a button yet! I do think shirts look more professional then Polos though.

I've seen the new name badge on some people in my store but no one can tell me when I'm getting it.
My Coles have the light brown bar on top of the registers and the new name badges however we're still wearing our old blue business shirts. However the other Coles store have the light brown polos so I'm presuming we'll get them soon. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)