HSC
Uni Grad
Re: The Official Cricket Thread

fuck yeah go nz

thet's how et's done

halapenyo

HSC

to be fair to australia we were missing a lot of players.
this is the team they should have for india:
Warner
Marsh
Khawaja
Clarke
Hussey
Haddin
Watson
Siddle
Harris
Pattinson
Lyon

Cummins is injured so hes out of the india series.

PaterzAttack

fake based bitch
HSC

^

So is Ponting retiring or what?

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad

to be fair to australia we were missing a lot of players.
this is the team they should have for india:
Warner
Marsh
Khawaja
Clarke
Hussey
Haddin
Watson
Siddle
Harris
Pattinson
Lyon

Cummins is injured so hes out of the india series.
I reckon Ponting is going to step up, also Watson should be opening. I also reckon Khawaja should be dropped.

Lentern

HSC

The mismatch in batting stature is extraordinary, Sehwag, Gambhir, Dravid, Tendulkar and Laxman all absolutely tower over the career achievements of all the aussies except Ponting and Hussey who are desperately out of form. The bowlers are sort of ok matched, and we ofcourse have a top flight all rounder but really I could see India batting us out of the test by lunch on day one if they win the toss in Melbourne. Furthemore with Ganguly's retirement and Harbajhan's withdrawal this is probably the most disciplined and professional Indian side in living memory.

Lentern

HSC

In Hughes defence his showing of late has been much like Alistair Cook's 2006/2007 Ashes performance, drawn into edging balls that were moving away by more experienced bowlers. He looks, as one might expect, like an inexperienced batsman not a talentless one. Would have been a tragedy if Cook had been cast aside after Mcgrath and Clark tore him to bits all those years ago, then again there may have been a fair argument that if Cook had spent a few more years playing county before being blooded in the test side he'd have avoided those embarrassing showings and that Hughes needed more Shield experience before playing tests.

BobSherman93

HSC

Yea but Cook was still technically able to defend and he was able to show a basic defensive shot, he didnt fall because he batted crap, he fell because hit was good bowling.
If you notice hughes defend, he's always drawn towards the ball and he brings his bat away from his pad and gets out like that...his demise couldve been avoided
You cant really compare Cook and Hughes because their defensive techniques are really different...that is hughes doesnt really have a defensive technique while Cook does

halapenyo

HSC

Hughes

I have no comment
lol. he's actually a really good strokemaker. shame that his weakness is the most important skill in test batting. he's still young give him a couple of years in sheffield shield and he will slowly fix his problem.

Lentern

HSC

Yea but Cook was still technically able to defend and he was able to show a basic defensive shot, he didnt fall because he batted crap, he fell because hit was good bowling.
If you notice hughes defend, he's always drawn towards the ball and he brings his bat away from his pad and gets out like that...his demise couldve been avoided
You cant really compare Cook and Hughes because their defensive techniques are really different...that is hughes doesnt really have a defensive technique while Cook does
Nah, in 2006 Cook was really bad at not moving his feet and prodding tentatively at balls outside off. He has improved out of sight now, a complete batsman but he had big problems early on.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC

How good was David Warner

halapenyo

HSC

How good was David Warner
amazing. yesterday he made 47 off 50 balls against a new ball on a seaming wicket. i think australia have found a strong prospect here.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC

And his 88 from like 50 balls in the T20 three years ago didn't make you think he was a strong prospect then? =P

halapenyo

HSC

And his 88 from like 50 balls in the T20 three years ago didn't make you think he was a strong prospect then? =P
well twenty20s are very different to tests. I meant australia have found a great test prospect. he was already set in the twenty20 team.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC

Oh you meant Test prospect, I thought you meant 'player in general'.

slyhunter

Retired
HSC

Very interesting to finally see a player make his name in T20 then move onto tests (usually been other way round)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC

Very interesting to finally see a player make his name in T20 then move onto tests (usually been other way round)
Well yeah because... the first T20 Australia team we had was basically the Test team minus a few people.

halapenyo

HSC

wat you guys think of australian bowlers atm.

I really like James Pattinson and Pat Cummins.
Mitchell Starc, I feel is not really consistent enough yet.
Ryan Harris is really really good but he has too many injuries.
Peter Siddle does a good job but he gets a bit short sometimes.
Nathan Lyon has solved Australia's spin problem. but he needs to develop an arm ball.

Lentern

HSC

wat you guys think of australian bowlers atm.

I really like James Pattinson and Pat Cummins.
Mitchell Starc, I feel is not really consistent enough yet.
Ryan Harris is really really good but he has too many injuries.
Peter Siddle does a good job but he gets a bit short sometimes.
Nathan Lyon has solved Australia's spin problem. but he needs to develop an arm ball.
I agree mostly, Pattinson and Cummins are showing excellent potential though beware of investing too much hope in players so green. Harris has as you said performed well at most opportunities. Siddle has been honest and consistent but really, he's the bowler you go to when you can't get someone better, I liked Hilfenhaus two or three years back and its hard to get the memory of him persistently niggling away outside off, if he can regain his old form he'll be a good prospect. Copeland I think looks to have the makings of a useful test bowler too. I'm less sold on Lyon, it will be telling how he does if some of those Indian greats get settled and Aus requires a spinner to work one end for a lot of overs to keep the over rate moving along and stop the seamers tiring. Like ever spinner since Macgill, excep Krejza who while I liked him was quite erratic, Lyon doesn't really have a great wicket taking, attacking spin he's more there to contain batsman while the other bowlers attack. Watson is looking to be really good second change bowler these days.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)