The Crucible and Belonging (1 Viewer)

HSC
Re: The Crucible, Techniques used

dialogue..contrast between characters..setting..

abu-mahmoud

in a big large house in the middle of no where
HSC
Re: The Crucible, Techniques used

In "The Crucible," what are some quotes about the characters Parris, Mary Warren, Tituba, and Abigail that describe each?
1. In his play "The Crucible", the author provides helpful descriptions of his characters in commentaries embedded in the action.
About Reverend Parris, he says,
"At the time of these events Parris was in his middle forties. In history he cut a villainous path, and there is very little good to be said for him. He believed he was being persecuted wherever he went...He was a widower with no interest in children, or talent with them" (Act I, Scene 1).
Tituba, the second character to be introduced after Parris, is described as
"his Negro slave...Tituba is in her forties. Parris brought her with him from Barbados...her slave sense...warn(s) her that...trouble in this house eventually lands on her back" (I,1).
Abigail, the third character to appear in the play, is
"strikingly beautiful, an orphan, with an endless capacity for dissembling" (I,1).
Abigail provides further insight into her own hardened, ruthless character when she warns the girls,
""I saw Indians smash my dear parents' heads on the pillow next to mine...and I can make you wish you had never seen the sun go down" (I,1).
In contrast to Abigail, Mary Warren is
"seventeen, a subservient, naive, lonely girl" (I,1).
List techniques and quotes evident in Acts I and II of "The Crucible", and their connection to belonging.
1. Parris to Abigail: "There is a faction that is sworn to drive me from my pulplit...I have foughthere three long years to bend these stiff-necked people to me." Parris feels ostracized and like he has to work really hard to belong. He feels jilted and misjudged. This lack of a feeling of belonging later leads him to accept so many of the accusations.
Abigail to John: "Give me a soft word, John...you loved me then and you do now!" Abby wants so desperately to belong to John again, and when he rejects her, she takes matters into her own hands by accusing Elizabeth of witchcraft. "Why, Abigail Williams charge her." (Cheever in Act 2)
Miller uses dialogue and stage directions to describe the tension between John and Elizabeth too. John wants to make things up to her, to feel like he belongs at her side as her husband: "I mean to please you Elizabeth"...(He gets up, goes to her, kisses her. She receives it. With a certain disappointment, he returns to the table.)"
Mary Warren feels quite proud of her role in the courts, or belonging there, and it has given her new bravado: "I'll be gone every day for some time. I'm-I am an official of the court they say." She also feels belonging with Abby and the girls, which is one reason she hesitates to turn on Abby: "I cannot do it, I cannot!"

In the Crucible, are there any quotes that highlight a woman as less powerful in the community of Salem? Thanks!
1. "She thinks to dance with me on my wife’s grave! And well she might, for I thought of her softly. God help me, I lusted, and there is a promise in such sweat. But it is a whore’s vengeance."
This quote by Proctor in the courtroom displays his condescending attitude towards women. Although Abigail is clearly at fault, this quote by Proctor shows that he lusted, that he took advantage, and shows little attention to Abigail's feelings.
Parris: I have given you a home, child, I have put clothes upon your back-- now give me an upright answer. Your name in town-- it is entirely white, is it not?
Abigail: Why, I am sure it is, sir. There be no blush about my name.
In this exchange, Parris is challenging Abigail's reputation. He has heard rumors. Being so concerned about it shows the tremendous pressure women were under. A double standard existed, in which the virtues of women were more insisted upon then the virtues of men.
In The Crucible, what is an example of passive (ironic) belonging?
1. I'm not familiar with the exact term "passive belonging," but it suggests the roles played by some characters in the play. Those characters who did not actively promote the trials, or actively oppose them, would be passive participants in the tragedy as it unfolded. By not objecting, they became participants but in a passive way. They were no less guilty. Herrick might be considered an example. He played his role in coming for Elizabeth. He took no satisfaction in chaining her, but he did not take a moral stand against it. Through his passive attitude, he then became a part of the forces of ignorance and injustice that swept through Salem.

here are some
sorry bout the paragraphs

alyce42

HSC
the crucible- related text,,

does anyone know how harry potter or twlight can related to the crucible, i know the concept but don't know how write it in detail for n essay?!!
can anyone help i really need it!!!!

naisAtoN

Awesome Member
HSC
Re: the crucible- related text,,

Please don't do Harry Potter or Twilight. Especially not Twilight, every idiot in the world will be trying to do Twilight. Pick something that might set you apart.

JigglyJims

HSC
Hey Guys,

Our school is doing the Crucible as the prescribed text.

I don't want anybody to give me an essay, but i'm trying to figure out how you would write this type of essay on the Crucible.
"Not Bleonging can be a greater learning experience than belonging" Discuss this statement.

Cheers.

gabgab

HSC
i was going to do twilight. i watched a crappy, downloaded version for belonging etc. i found the scene where edward and the rest of the family walks into the cafeteria showed alienation of the cullens, through the blinds, and their clothes etc.

another one was when they were in the field playing baseball, and edward tells bella to cover her face, with her hair etc,

she had to conform to save herself.

i decided not to do it, because the movie missed alot of the original concepts of belonging that i found upon reading the novel.

i was already doing a book, so i did another movie instead.

if anyone is struggling with texts to relate belonging and the crucible, there are songs everywhere.

try "always where i need to be" by the kooks,

MOVIE
um, "goodnight and goodluck" directed by george clooney, actually about McCarthyism.

a newspaper article, "A woman's lot," not sure whether you will be able to find it on the internet. it was in the "Essay" section of the SMH

yepp

oksteph

HSC
Belonging is shown throughout "The Crucible" through various themes.
So even though "belonging' is the central theme; there are others that fall under it. So in "The Crucible"'s case, they include community belonging vs individual beliefs, reputation and belonging, belief and control, alienation, hysteria and persecuting those who dont belong.

Try use the themes that make most sense to you and that you'd have much more an understanding of.
Just a hint: Reputation, alienation & hysteria tend to be the most biggest themes.

Hope I somewhat help :)

echolalia89

HSC
if you can't find anything decent to relate to the content, then find something else by Miller, perhaps Death of a Salesman

Monikha

HSC
Re: crucible related texts

In The Crucible's case, I thought it was more about conforming than belonging. I think The Crucible is more a text about not belonging.

John Proctor feels he doesn't belong to the Puritan community after sleeping with Abigail. While John Proctor wants to belong, Abigail doesn't want to live the Puritan lifestyle after her "eyes have been opened".

As for a suitable related text, Salem Falls by Jodi Picoult is a good novel (although, it may be too similar to Crucible).
Anything with the idea of not wanting to belong or maybe even peer pressure will work.

yeah, The Crucible is more about not beloning rather than just belonging.

I'm doing it as my text for english this year, too.

also, speaking of Jodi Picoult, one of my related texts is My Sister's Keeper.
this is a great related text for not belonging, and therefore the crucible (plus, it is a GREAT book!). My other related text is The Arrival by Shaun Tan. its a picture book, and it will take some deconstructing, but still good.

:)

tordor159

HSC
how does my sisters keeper relate to the crucible?
ive read the book and i loved it nd wanted to use it but i dunno how it really relates?

doopsta786

HSC
i love the cruible
im using looking for albrandi by melina marchetta
and the proganda movie casblanca

Lauraaargh

HSC
Hey im using the Leunig Cartoon that has the quote "another loser has-been fades into obscurity". I cant find the title of the cartoon or when it was published etc etc. D: help pleeease also any techniques or ideas about belonging would be helpful too !

Louisa_17

HSC
Let either of you breathe a word, or the edge of a word, about the other things, and I will come to you in the black of some terrible night and I will bring a pointy reckoning that will shudder you... I can make you wish you had never seen the sun go down!”

Does this quote utilize the language technique DRAMATIC IRONY?

Louisa_17

HSC
Hey im using the Leunig Cartoon that has the quote "another loser has-been fades into obscurity". I cant find the title of the cartoon or when it was published etc etc. D: help pleeease also any techniques or ideas about belonging would be helpful too !
it's called "dissent silencing...flying away"

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Don't use Leunig. It's way overused, and it's a very typical Paper One Section One sort text.

ccy

HSC
Let either of you breathe a word, or the edge of a word, about the other things, and I will come to you in the black of some terrible night and I will bring a pointy reckoning that will shudder you... I can make you wish you had never seen the sun go down!”

Does this quote utilize the language technique DRAMATIC IRONY?

An example of dramatic irony is the fact that we as the auidence know what Abigail and her friends have done and the consequences of her actions, but everybody else fails to recognise that. It shows how important the theocracy is, and how inappropriate what they have done is. So yeah I suppose it does, as that quote is said for our purpose only :)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)