the current english course is a waste of time, true or false (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdcb4

HSC
To anyone defending English: Go Die. If you want higher order thinking do 4U Maths. If you want to read shitty old poetry, do it in your own time. English biases the HSC SO far in favour of girls/humanities students. Look at the fucking scaling curve.

HappyFeet

HSC
But most of the science subjects are pretty much English based anyway (I mean, what's with the HSC Physics course).

Lumbargo

HSC
So what, jdcb, throw the whole thing out or just readdress the scaling curve? What's your solution?

simonloo

may our bodies remain
HSC
N/A
jdcb4 said:
To anyone defending English: Go Die. If you want higher order thinking do 4U Maths. If you want to read shitty old poetry, do it in your own time. English biases the HSC SO far in favour of girls/humanities students. Look at the fucking scaling curve.
Maybe its cos ur shit

silverdog

HSC
i have an idea
get a life,
stop writing bullcrap over this shit forum,
if u want to have a cry dont cry to ppl here with 0 influence over the real boardofstudies or teachers...fuckbag
if u think english is useless to life, wow finding the gradient of the tangent of a curve on a cartesian planes... very useful... 100%
anyways heres the conclusion - if u want to complain about english, y not complain about every other subject, each point u guys make i can say the same thing about all the other subs man u fucking fuckbags (<---alliteration! LOL)
anyways i hate english AND maths AND every other subject
but.. i do love physics and modern history ... definately my best subjects
haha idiots.

woho

HSC
jdcb4 said:
To anyone defending English: Go Die. If you want higher order thinking do 4U Maths. If you want to read shitty old poetry, do it in your own time. English biases the HSC SO far in favour of girls/humanities students.
English biases the HSC in favour of girls?! :lol:

That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard! Since when does your gender influence what subjects u do? I have plenty of guys whose strength is English in my grade and heaps of girls whose strength is maths.

I'm a girl and English is probably my weakest subject. And I do 4UNIT maths, physics and chemistry.

Sorry, but your ridiculous comment has undermined any point you wished to make in your post. :hammer:

jdcb4

HSC
woho said:
That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard! Since when does your gender influence what subjects u do? I have plenty of guys whose strength is English in my grade and heaps of girls whose strength is maths.
Are you serious? Each and every year girls destroy English, guys smash maths and girls win just about everything else. We've possibly still got it in the Tech Metal department though. Sure there are guys whose strength is English. Doesn't mean the general result is wrong. Your case is an exeption to the rule rather than proof that it doesn't exist Look at the UAC scaling tables, for example girls account for 60% of Adv Eng and only 45% of Std Eng. simonloo - Eng was my highest contributor behind Maths last estimate on 91, not completely shit. (Est of 99, No I'm not fucking stupid) Happyfeet - I'm not denying that Science subjects have been dunmed down from the level of doing the science to the level of understanding the science. To do any real physics you have to do 4U. But 'Comprehension based' might be more accurate than 'English based'. Especially if you mean 'English' as in Stage 6 NSW Syllabus. Lumbargo - Good to see someone at least talking sense. I'd at least fix the ridiculous weighting its given in UAI calculations. Preferably change the entire course. And make it compulsory but not compulsorarily count to UAI. Silverdog - Other than your masterly grasp of the English language i msut compliment you for abusing people for wasting time on this forum and simultaneously talking shit on this forum. Congratulations. Btw, I do not despise Shakespeare, nor the other 'High Art' we study. I hate the way we study it. Especially the comaprative module, insinuating the BR is as valuable/'important' a piece as BNW. Etc.

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC
learn2paragraph man.

maybe then your english marks will improve and you won't have to waste time bitching about your deficiencies on the interwebz.

Last edited:

Lumbargo

HSC
Logical arguement went straight out the window with the spelling half a page ago. -_-

Hey Colbert!

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC
tsup working-class commoner :wave:

Charity F

póg mo thóin
HSC
N/A
Jachie said:
learn2paragraph man.

maybe then your english marks will improve and you won't have to waste time bitching about your deficiencies on the interwebz.
Bwaha. Case closed.

Maybe you should stop complaining that all the girls are smarter and actually sit down and do serious study, spend at least 10 hours minimum writing/editing/redrafting/finalising that essay, etcetc whatever, and then see...

woho

HSC
jdcb4 said:
Are you serious? Each and every year girls destroy English, guys smash maths and girls win just about everything else. We've possibly still got it in the Tech Metal department though. Sure there are guys whose strength is English. Doesn't mean the general result is wrong. Your case is an exeption to the rule rather than proof that it doesn't exist Look at the UAC scaling tables, for example girls account for 60% of Adv Eng and only 45% of Std Eng.
Ohhh I get it... so your saying that "English biases the HSC so much in favour of girls" because there are more girls doing advanced english than boys. And girls seem to do better...

So us girls must just NATURALLY be good at it then, your logic is flawless! U poor guys, the syllabus is against u! It must be because english relies on so many naturally inbuilt female skills........ hmm......

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
Re:the thread title.
English technically is not a waste of time- it is a compulsory subject as ordered by Board of Studies and its top two units is included in the UAI as ordered by the UAC.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
I'm wondering why this thread hasn't been locked yet...

iEdd

HSC
Heh, I can say that I've pretty much backed out of this argument. It's entertaining to read though. I've particularly noticed that the people arguing in favour of english tend to resort to personal attacks, suggesting they don't want english compulsory to "benefit our writing skills", but just because they can cruise through and beat everyone else. :)

EDIT: Wait. That doesn't even make sense either. The english likers aren't so caring to want everyone to be good at writing AND they can be beaten by equal to better scaling subjects, so why they would care at all is beyond me.

Last edited:

simonloo

may our bodies remain
HSC
N/A
jdcb4 said:
Are you serious? Each and every year girls destroy English, guys smash maths and girls win just about everything else. We've possibly still got it in the Tech Metal department though. Sure there are guys whose strength is English. Doesn't mean the general result is wrong. Your case is an exeption to the rule rather than proof that it doesn't exist Look at the UAC scaling tables, for example girls account for 60% of Adv Eng and only 45% of Std Eng. simonloo - Eng was my highest contributor behind Maths last estimate on 91, not completely shit. (Est of 99, No I'm not fucking stupid) Happyfeet - I'm not denying that Science subjects have been dunmed down from the level of doing the science to the level of understanding the science. To do any real physics you have to do 4U. But 'Comprehension based' might be more accurate than 'English based'. Especially if you mean 'English' as in Stage 6 NSW Syllabus. Lumbargo - Good to see someone at least talking sense. I'd at least fix the ridiculous weighting its given in UAI calculations. Preferably change the entire course. And make it compulsory but not compulsorarily count to UAI. Silverdog - Other than your masterly grasp of the English language i msut compliment you for abusing people for wasting time on this forum and simultaneously talking shit on this forum. Congratulations. Btw, I do not despise Shakespeare, nor the other 'High Art' we study. I hate the way we study it. Especially the comaprative module, insinuating the BR is as valuable/'important' a piece as BNW. Etc.
The fact that you felt the need to reply with an overly long comeback does not compensate for your pin sized prick.

simonloo

may our bodies remain
HSC
N/A
iEdd said:
Heh, I can say that I've pretty much backed out of this argument. It's entertaining to read though. I've particularly noticed that the people arguing in favour of english tend to resort to personal attacks, suggesting they don't want english compulsory to "benefit our writing skills", but just because they can cruise through and beat everyone else. :)
Please GTFO my intraweb, hypocrite.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)