The date major work is due? (1 Viewer)

itszen

HSC
Is the due date of the major work created by the schools themselves or by the BOS? And when is your major work due?

ArtemisOrthia

HSC
The BOS sets a guide of when the Majors should be submitted, which is usually start of Term 3. The schools then decide what week to have them due and what day, etc; as they are internally marked. My major is due in Thursday Week 2 of Next Term. n_n If you are worried, it'd be best to ask your teacher about it.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Is the due date of the major work created by the schools themselves or by the BOS? And when is your major work due?
As this is an internal assessment task it is up to the school to set the due date.

I know some schools have already had them in and others have them coming in before trials and others have them in in about week 6 of Term 3. So long as they are in in time for the school to mark them and get the results to the BOS by the cut-off date then it could be some time away yet.

Your school should have given you the submission date by now.

itszen

HSC
im still kind of confused. My teacher said first week back from holidays its due,but im hoping that maybe hes saying that to make me do the project by that date because most students do them at the last minute. because i know people whom had theirs due around september. O.O

itszen

HSC
so whats the difference between 'submitted' and whens its actually due? Is it when you send in your draft essay to indicate your doing something at least?

ArtemisOrthia

HSC
If it's due first week back, then it's due first week back. Your teacher should have given you a timeline of when logbooks are checked, drafts are due, and then when the final submission is due. If it's due first week back, I would very much hope you have already given in a draft.

As stated, best to check with your teacher. Email him/her or something, as the date its due does vary from school to school and thus we are not of much help here, whereas your teacher will hold all the answers. Talk to them.

itszen

HSC
Could i ask,how did your teacher plan out when your major work due? Also,how is the subject taught at your school? Im a bit not-so confident about the subject.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Could i ask,how did your teacher plan out when your major work due? Also,how is the subject taught at your school? Im a bit not-so confident about the subject.

What I do is give my students the instructions for the task in October of Year 11. Then spend the first three weeks of the course with actual lessons on the project focusing on acquiring topics. We then work on projects usually one lesson in four through Term 4 and Term 1. Term 2 will see me chasing drafts of everything on an almost weekly basis and by now I am getting antsy if I don't get a draft of everything almost daily.

The due date has been known since last October.

itszen

HSC
what about the historians and personality topics. How do you teach them in each lessons? And also do you know the cut-off date of BOS?

Fake-Name

HSC
Hey, it appears that a few people have theirs due the first few weeks back. Just wondering what the statistics are for your (almost complete) major work. It's the first year my school has taught the subject so it's hard to compare to any status-quo.

I'm sitting on an almost finalised 2498 words with 55 footnotes (roughly 32 different sources). My journal is almost 300 pages, which I'm going to be spending the next two weeks finalising, that and the synopsis and source analysis. I'm interested to know how everyone else is doing.

Edit: I suck with numbers.

Last edited:

zxreth

HSC
Hey, it appears that a few people have theirs due the first few weeks back. Just wondering what the statistics are for your (almost complete) major work. It's the first year my school has taught the subject so it's hard to compare to any status-quo.

I'm sitting on an almost finalised 4998 words with 55 footnotes (roughly 32 different sources). My journal is almost 300 pages, which I'm going to be spending the next two weeks finalising, that and the synopsis and source analysis. I'm interested to know how everyone else is doing.
WTF?! firstly, the limit to mine was 2500 words but mine was around 2600. I had about 20 footnotes an my log was 4 pages which my teacher took a glimpse at and said it was enough for the 5 marks.

itszen

HSC
yeah by bos rules your essay can only be 2500 words. Im a bit worried too. And whats a footnote. O.O Is that referencing? Does that also include with the essay? If so im way over the limit.

ArtemisOrthia

HSC

I'm sitting on an almost finalised 4998 words with 55 footnotes (roughly 32 different sources). My journal is almost 300 pages, which I'm going to be spending the next two weeks finalising, that and the synopsis and source analysis. I'm interested to know how everyone else is doing.
Has your teacher showed you the guidelines and the course requirements? The project has a max of 2,500 words (10% leniency however). My essay which is complete and just waiting to be handed in next Thursday, is 2,583 words exact. Of course, the major is marked internally so technically the Board of Studies won't be aware of your word count. However, that does mean you cannot enter your major into the HTA Extension Prize, as you didn't adhere to the BOS's regulations regarding the major.

Here's what it says on the Board of studies, regarding the ESSAY:
– the essay is an argument in response to a precise question with evidence in support, the sources of which are acknowledged. It will be in written form and may be accompanied by appropriate graphic texts only as appendices (apart from short explanatory captions). The essay must not exceed 2,500 words. The essay should contain material from a range of perspectives, including the student’s own views. A consistent system of referencing should be used to acknowledge the use of sources.

My log book is also quite extensive, but not near 300 pages, more so 100. But the bulk of that is evidence, sources, notes, information, drafts and as such. The Logbook isn't worth the time or effort for the marks it's worth. My project has 34 footnotes, so it's not too terrible, very evidenced.

WTF?! firstly, the limit to mine was 2500 words but mine was around 2600. I had about 20 footnotes an my log was 4 pages which my teacher took a glimpse at and said it was enough for the 5 marks.
Yes, the limit is set by the Board of Studies (as evident by the History Extension Syllabus), and 'most' candidates should have projects consisting of 2,500 word essays. Good to see you're also finished, or just about. n_n

ArtemisOrthia

HSC
yeah by bos rules your essay can only be 2500 words. Im a bit worried too. And whats a footnote. O.O Is that referencing? Does that also include with the essay? If so im way over the limit.
Footnote is just a form of referencing. Easy to do on microsoft office and as such, and you should be using it to reference sources and historians. n_n The essay is separate from the reference, or so my teacher has stipulated, so it shouldn't interfere with your word count. What topic / area did you do for your project?

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
what about the historians and personality topics. How do you teach them in each lessons? And also do you know the cut-off date of BOS?

In usually start teaching the historians in 4th term year 11 and finish that about the end if term 1 and then move to the case study for term 2 and 3.

The cut-off date for the school to submit results to the BOS is 16th September this year.

Fake-Name

HSC
Woops, I meant that my essay is 2498, I wasnt thinking when i wrote 4998. I think I was thinking about English Ext.

fakermaker

HSC
2499 words exactly.

48 footnotes, but not all of them are sources.

Another question, how involved has your teachers been throughout the development of your work? My teacher is pretty inexperienced in this specific subject, but since there are only two of us in the class, he devotes a lot of time to our individual project.

I think I've just submitted to him my fourth draft, which he looks at and makes suggestions...Do your teachers do this or is it more of an individual effort?

Fake-Name

HSC
That sounds more like it! n_n How's English Extension going for you?
English Ext is pretty awesome. It's not due until late August, so it's not in the same priority as Hist Ext. I've basically finished the major, however i'm well over the word count (almost double). But so far the editing process has been pretty easy, so i'm pretty sure the hardest part now will be keeping the journal up to date.

Thanks for asking!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)