The Flaw of Monotheism (1 Viewer)

dan2452

HSC
Again, we see that someone's own religion or spirituality is so important that it must be forced unto others. Religion has no place in politics. They're two things that ideally should never meet.

You can justify the killing of millions of black people because 'god says so'. You can justify a suicide bombing because 'god says so'. You can justify any possible idea with 'god says so' or 'god told me to'. It is not god, or spirituality which is being referred to in these statements, instead, it is ones own justification, or, the ideas which have been forced by religion, or politics.

'God' in the many names and forms cannot be blamed for this. These people never saw the spiritual side, only the political (religious) aspect ,which has been accumulated over the centuries through alterations, made to benefit select groups of people.

Religion shouldn't be used as an excuse or justification for any actions, neither as a part of the political system.

Lol@Scorch - Don't even try to win this argument haha

Last edited:

Bereie

HSC
Again, we see that someone's own religion or spirituality is so important that it must be forced unto others. Religion has no place in politics. They're two things that ideally should never meet.

You can justify the killing of millions of black people because 'god says so'. You can justify a suicide bombing because 'god says so'. You can justify any possible idea with 'god says so' or 'god told me to'. It is not god, or spirituality which is being referred to in these statements, instead, it is ones own justification, or, the ideas which have been forced by religion, or politics.

'God' in the many names and forms cannot be blamed for this. These people never saw the spiritual side, only the political (religious) aspect ,which has been accumulated over the centuries through alterations, made to benefit select groups of people.

Religion shouldn't be used as an excuse or justification for any actions, neither as a part of the political system.
Why do you keep bringing up spirituality?

dan2452

HSC
Why do you keep bringing up spirituality?
Because religion is essentially a form of spirituality. Because I can't really classify practices such as zen or meditation as a religion, as they don't really have any rules or regulations.

I'm covering the whole spectrum here, not just christianity.

Last edited:
HSC
Uni Grad
Your arguments are invalid. Humans have only been on this Earth for 6500 years when God created Adam and then took one of his ribs and made Eve then they made babies.

Scorch

HSC
Your arguments are invalid. Humans have only been on this Earth for 6500 years when God created Adam and then took one of his ribs and made Eve then they made babies.
Absolutely, 100% has to be a troll. No rational human being could ever possibly think this ever.

Name_Taken

HSC
Scortch, please forgive me if I have missed your point, but where exactly in the OP do you actually explose a flaw in monotheism?

Scorch

HSC
Scortch, please forgive me if I have missed your point, but where exactly in the OP do you actually explose a flaw in monotheism?
Y'know, the part where God loves us but watches us suffer in squalor and infection for 196,000 years with indifference and no real will to help in the slightest as thousands of generations of his creations die and suffer without the slightest bit of assistance, word or love from their loving creator?

Titburger

HSC
Y'know, the part where God loves us but watches us suffer in squalor and infection for 196,000 years with indifference and no real will to help in the slightest as thousands of generations of his creations die and suffer without the slightest bit of assistance, word or love from their loving creator?
I'm waiting for the "God works in mysterious ways" line, havn't heard it in a while

trickx

HSC
I know that the constitution was secular... I'm also a big fan of Hitchens, so I know where "If you don't know that, you don't know anything" originally came from.

My point was that the ethical issues are often clouded by religious authorities, and in countries where Christianity (in particular Catholicism) and Islam, as well as other religions, are widespread, ethical issues are not looked at very well, more like "My sky man says this, so this is what it is." It's really not beneficial to society to look at ethical issues from a slightly modernised Bronze Age view, especially if we want to progress.

I also never said that ID is science, in fact it's a blatant insult to science. My point was that it's ridiculous there is even a discussion about this. And in response to George Bush's remark, there is no controversy in evolution, just widespread ignorance. This would be aided by proper education, but unfortunately some people are so pitted in 'teaching the [non-existent] controversy' that the masses are never going to stray from the 'I'm not a monkey!' type thinking.
Then you shouldn't be arguing for why religion has a hold on government, but rather society in general.

Scorch

HSC
Then you shouldn't be arguing for why religion has a hold on government, but rather society in general.
But it does have a hold on government.

Scorch

HSC
The burden of proof lies with you. So prove it.
me a couple pages back said:
trickx said:
Religion has no control on most Western governments - executive or legislative. Particularly America, where Christianity is tied up greatly with their history, but their constitution is strictly secular.
In theory. You point to America's secular constitution but they still have a pledge that says "One Nation Under God", have "In God We Trust" emblazoned in Court rooms and Congress says a prayer to the Christian God before convening (as does our parliament). In fact the preamble to our constitution says that we are, as a nation, 'humbly relying on the blessings of Almighty God.'

Issues of homosexual rights and stem cell research are held back by religious discourses that cloud the secularity of the decision-making process of our nation's government.

So again I say: in theory.
You probably missed it as it's just after that Lentern guy started spouting rubbish.

Religion has no business in legislative and exectutive procedures.
I wholeheartedly agree.

Name_Taken

HSC
Religion has a hold in government, because Christfags such as myself will vote, more often than not, for people who hold similar values as we do, and as such are most likely Christian.

Furthermore, for various reasons, athiests also tend to vote for religious people as well, as seen by the disproportionate number of religious people within Parliment.

Titburger

HSC
Religion has a hold in government, because Christfags such as myself will vote, more often than not, for people who hold similar values as we do, and as such are most likely Christian.
I can respect that

Scorch

HSC
When they force it on others in a mode unbecoming of the secularity of our nation is when it becomes a problem ...

Scorch

HSC
Wait... where is it being infringed?
A secular nation discriminating on religious reasoning, having Christian prayers before convening the legislative assembly that rules on its laws, acknowledging that we are all 'humbly relying on the blessings of Almighty God' in its constitution and then being influenced by an exclusively religious dialogue into discriminating against thousands of homosexuals and others would probably count as compromising the secularity of our nation, yes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)