The Fundamental Reason for my Choice of Medicine. (1 Viewer)

duckysd

HSC
I've seen many posts here on the forums of why people want to study medicine. People state many reasons, of which some seem to be conjured up, merely to present the "passionate doctor," while others may be genuine in their struggle to become doctors. Now, I am not too sure if many people agree with me here, but after honestly asking myself the question, I found myself puzzled. Now, why do I want to be a doctor. Do I really want to only help people? There are countless number of ways to advance society and help communities. More people simply need food and water than medical attention. Why do I not simply dedicate myself to helping those who are truly unfortunate. We tell each other every time, there are people in "Africa" (the usual) who don't have food, yet the following day we simply continue wih our programmed wasteful lifestyles. Now, I'm saying this for myself. I know there are people who are less fortunate than me... I know people in the Middle East are being slaughtered... I know that some people work for hours in unbearable conditions only so that they may keep a grasp of whatever they call life. But in the end, I resort back to my grand lifestyle, which ironically is evident in me writing this post itself. Now, on the other hand, am I doing this primarily for money? I know for a fact that I personally know ways in which I can make money. I was in year 10 and bad already run an eBay business, making $3000 profit without getting out of my house (expect for going to the post office). I know that studying economics, business or even the thriving technological fields is logical more profitable. So why do I choose medicine?
The reason why I want to be a doctor becomes evident when my perspective broadens. I want to know that by the time that I am older, that I have at least tried to help. I want to a knowledge that I attempted to combat my inherent human selfishness.
I ask you, the reader, what will prestige and money mean when you are older? Seriously, think about this because when his epiphany hit me, I was settled. As of now, you must have some electrical device to be able to read this. You are very fortunate, and for the purpose of this argument, I'll assume you are not loaded... You definantly have EVERYTHING you need and have most things that you want. Sure, our impulsive nature calls for more, but step aside from this perspective and realise it is false. Having a nice car, house, gadgets and the such sure is a bonus... but everything is temporary. I don't want to come to the realization later on in my life, where I am "happily married with kids, a spacious house and nice car," that frankly I was selfish and that I will die in selfishness. In truthfulness, I know for a fact that (for someone like me) living on 60-80k annually provides for everything that I need and even want. All I hope is that if I was to become a high earning doctor and that my human flaws got to me, that I have helped some people. I don't know what I will be like if I was to earn 150-200k per year, but making that money as a lawyer or business person, I would frankly regard myself as the scumbag leech of society.

mreditor16

HSC
this will be one of the texts in section 1 (short answer) for aos:discovery 2015 hsc paper.

mreditor16

HSC
haha more seriously, its good that you've thought a lot about it.

Havox

HSC
Uni Grad
I don't know what I will be like if I was to earn 150-200k per year, but making that money as a lawyer or business person, I would frankly regard myself as the scumbag leech of society.
So lawyers and business people are scumbags and leeches to society now?

Havox

HSC
Uni Grad
yes

source: hollywood dramatized films
I'd like to hear a serious answer from the OP. If I were interviewing a candidate and something like that came out, it would almost certainly be an instant fail on professionalism grounds.

emilios

HSC
That last sentence is pretty judgmental and misinformed. I'm aiming for Medicine too, but to regard someone as a 'scumbag leech of society' for a career choice is contemptuous and makes you sound like you're projecting your own insecurities. You can do wonderful things independently of your career; Gates and Buffet were known as cutthroat businessmen but have each pledged to donate 90%+ of their wealth to charity.

I'm curious as to what you think the medical profession entails, or what you yourself plan to specialize in, because you've made a lot of sweeping statements that really glamorize the career. Shadow a doctor and you'll see how little 'saving lives' occurs. I definitely agree that being a doctor is one of the more altruistic careers (though there's some 'cash cow' specialties like anesthesiologists), but I don't think people generally go into med for purely altruistic reasons and I especially don't believe your career choice defines your impact on society. You can't deny the fact that if you're an excellent student, which I'm sure you are, that med probably crossed your mind because:
(1) You thought you were capable of getting and you're used to being the best; why not aim for as high as you can go?
(2) Its really impressive to say you're a doctor. It'll especially make mum and dad happy

I agree that often, money is NOT the biggest motivating factor. My point is that deep down; there's some fundamental social concerns in human nature related to image, and so naturally we all want to be in respected and respectable professions.

Let me put it this way: a lady knocked on my door the other day, asking for money for treatment of her mother who had been diagnosed with breast cancer overseas. I gave her a 20 and I felt good about myself. Was that purely altruistic? No, not really, because I received a feeling of self satisfaction from that. Nobody's purely altruistic.

All I'm saying is that what you're feeling is common. We all want to feel like we're doing some good for society, but I think that's more to do with image and self worth than altruism. I wish you all the best and I do hope you achieve your goal, but your post does come across as a bit starry eyed and maybe tone down the rhetoric a little so reality doesn't hit you too hard if you get in.

Last edited:

duckysd

HSC
So lawyers and business people are scumbags and leeches to society now?
No, that is a harsh generalization. However my personal view of myself, would be of disapproval hence I made sure to use first person.

Havox

HSC
Uni Grad
No, that is a harsh generalization. However my personal view of myself, would be of disapproval hence I made sure to use first person.
Because you don't see them as valuable members of society and are therefore unworthy of their incomes?

duckysd

HSC
Because you don't see them as valuable members of society and are therefore unworthy of their incomes?
No, not at all. They are crucial for the western society. My devaluing of them comes from the core disgust from our society - and to discuss that requires a threat of its own :). That and the fact that I have personally dealt with two lawyers due to a car insurance claim and although 2 is a very small sample, in both cases, I can comfortably say that I did more work than them.

emilios

HSC
No, not at all. They are crucial for the western society. My devaluing of them comes from the core disgust from our society - and to discuss that requires a threat of its own :). That and the fact that I have personally dealt with two lawyers due to a car insurance claim and although 2 is a very small sample, in both cases, I can comfortably say that I did more work than them.
You sound like one of those "I'm not racist buuuut..." kinds of people. Generalizing isn't a good quality for a doctor to have, in fact it's a terrible one (in the diagnosis sense)

Havox

HSC
Uni Grad
This seems like the perfect thread to discuss the topic. Knowing quite a few lawyers closely i doubt you did "more work" than them and I doubt you have any sort of idea what being a lawyer actually means and how much expertise that requires.

Please do explain the "core disgust".

duckysd

HSC
That last sentence is pretty judgmental and misinformed. I'm aiming for Medicine too, but to regard someone as a 'scumbag leech of society' for a career choice is contemptuous and makes you sound like you're projecting your own insecurities. You can do wonderful things independently of your career; Gates and Buffet were known as cutthroat businessmen but have each pledged to donate 90%+ of their wealth to charity.

I'm curious as to what you think the medical profession entails, or what you yourself plan to specialize in, because you've made a lot of sweeping statements that really glamorize the career. Shadow a doctor and you'll see how little 'saving lives' occurs. I definitely agree that being a doctor is one of the more altruistic careers (though there's some 'cash cow' specialties like anesthesiologists), but I don't think people generally go into med for purely altruistic reasons and I especially don't believe your career choice defines your impact on society. You can't deny the fact that if you're an excellent student, which I'm sure you are, that med probably crossed your mind because:
(1) You thought you were capable of getting and you're used to being the best; why not aim for as high as you can go?
(2) Its really impressive to say you're a doctor. It'll especially make mum and dad happy

I agree that often, money is NOT the biggest motivating factor. My point is that deep down; there's some fundamental social concerns in human nature related to image, and so naturally we all want to be in respected and respectable professions.

Let me put it this way: a lady knocked on my door the other day, asking for money for treatment of her mother who had been diagnosed with breast cancer overseas. I gave her a 20 and I felt good about myself. Was that purely altruistic? No, not really, because I received a feeling of self satisfaction from that. Nobody's purely altruistic.

All I'm saying is that what you're feeling is common. We all want to feel like we're doing some good for society, but I think that's more to do with image and self worth than altruism. I wish you all the best and I do hope you achieve your goal, but your post does come across as a bit starry eyed and maybe tone down the rhetoric a little so reality doesn't hit you too hard if you get in.
Thank you. Without getting too philosophical, saying that nobody is purely alturistic forms a paradox. If I am correct, you are saying that a person feels qualified upon a selfless and and the core they are not selfless. We can't really resolve this. I would really like to believe that when I donate money to a homeless person or trim my aged neighbour's grass, that the euphoric emotion I feel is pure and therefore selfless. I don't want to think that everything that I have ever done for myself or for others is selfish because that honestly, is horrid.

duckysd

HSC
This seems like the perfect thread to discuss the topic. Knowing quite a few lawyers closely i doubt you did "more work" than them and I doubt you have any sort of idea what being a lawyer actually means and how much expertise that requires.

Please do explain the "core disgust".
First and foremost, I apologize if what I have said is contrary to what you believe. I am a high school student and honestly have no idea in what a lawyer SHOULD do. I cannot comprehend the complexity of the law or the lawyers job for that matter. Like I said, my lesser view of lawyers is primarily from my beliefs and personal experience. Your close friends may be money leeches or they may be righteous lawyers only willing to protect the rights of the wronged people. I don't know. All I'm saying is that the GENERAL lawyer is simply a pawn in this very superficial world which we have created. Some lawyers do help people whom are genuinely wronged, however some are defending the "rights" of money thirsty corporations. I praise in awe for a lawyers' efforts but I condemn the overly artificial society which lawyers are an essential necessity.

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
Businessman are scum bags

All those companies that "care about the environment and society " only do it for their reputation.

Businesses run their company with the 3 P's in mind.. People , profit and planet

Protecting the plant .. Ensure they will have sustained profits , which improves profits

nerdasdasd

HSC
Uni Grad
Microsoft doesn't give out billions so that they can help society, it's called strategic philanthropy (the practice of targeting charities which are around their cause and own business objectives

Ever heard of ronald macdonalds house ....
It is done for branding

Last edited:

emilios

HSC
Microsoft doesn't give out billions so that they can help society, it's called strategic philanthropy (the practice of targeting charities which are around their cause and own business objectives

Ever heard of ronald macdonalds house ....
It is done for branding
So Microsoft builds their PR and organisations like those that research treatments and cures for Polio get funding. Seems like a win-win to me...

nerdasdasd

HSC
Uni Grad
So Microsoft builds their PR and organisations like those that research treatments and cures for Polio get funding. Seems like a win-win to me...
Those companies that research treatments , end up selling the treatments for $$

They wouldn't do it if money was not involved

nerdasdasd

HSC
Uni Grad
Not sure if sarcasm or autistic.
Macdonalds are using the ronald McDonald house to form preferences and position themselves in the minds of their target market (kids!!).

Think man. If maccas wanted to help kids, they would just donate money straight to charities

It's the same reason fast food companies support sporting teams ... TO INCREASE BRAND RECOGNITION

Havox

HSC
Uni Grad
First and foremost, I apologize if what I have said is contrary to what you believe. I am a high school student and honestly have no idea in what a lawyer SHOULD do. I cannot comprehend the complexity of the law or the lawyers job for that matter. Like I said, my lesser view of lawyers is primarily from my beliefs and personal experience.
And if you know nothing about their jobs then how do you feel qualified to comment on their supposed value?

Your close friends may be money leeches or they may be righteous lawyers only willing to protect the rights of the wronged people. I don't know. All I'm saying is that the GENERAL lawyer is simply a pawn in this very superficial world which we have created. Some lawyers do help people whom are genuinely wronged, however some are defending the "rights" of money thirsty corporations. I praise in awe for a lawyers' efforts but I condemn the overly artificial society which lawyers are an essential necessity.
Now who's generalising entire professions? I wonder if you even know what it is that doctors do day to day or what the job actually is? I find it arrogant that you accuse others of conjuring a motivation to study medicine when the one you present is far from unique - the most commonly claimed one in fact. By saying that doing medicine for any reason other than pure altruism is selfish is downright insulting.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)