The Fundamental Reason for my Choice of Medicine. (1 Viewer)

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
Wow, just wasted my life reading that. If people with bent views like you are getting into med I am going to cry.

enoilgam

HSC
So lawyers and business people are scumbags and leeches to society now?
Worked in the Commerce field and this is legitimately the reaction from senior managers when someone put on an application "I believe I can make a difference by working here":

Seriously though, I make money - beyond that my profession contributes little of actual value to society.

Medman

HSC
Valid points but narrow perspective. I believe anyone can make a difference in any career given that they actually want to. Teachers providing lunch time tutoring for failing students, road engineers who make sure our roads are safe for us to travel on etc. Lawyers have a different set of morales because it is the nature of their job. Prosecutors can be even worse than defence lawyers when they manipulate evidence to put someone behind bars ignoring the fact that they may be innocent. By grouping certain professions as a whole into these "scumbag" categories is immature and frankly shows lack of insight.

You have a gift for business by the sounds of it. I don't know how well you will do in medicine but medicine isn't all about helping people. You will be under paid, under appreciated and under mined for the hard work you put in (especially at the beginning). You will become a cogwheel of the health system and change is difficult to initiate. You don't need to do medicine to prove a point that you are being selfless. I believe you are doing medicine for your own selfish needs of proving to yourself and others that you are unselfish. Instead you should think of how you will benefit this society in your gifted areas because I think that is where you will make the biggest difference.

Last edited:

duckysd

HSC
Firstly, when I categorize businessmen and lawyers, I'm not talking about everyone. I truly believe that there are some people who are passionate and faithful to what they do. That said, I even have respect for some 'criminals' whom may act unlawfully but to my morals correct. Again, before I go on to a discussion on the societal structures... In answer to what you said, it is probably true. In answer to your comment, I think that all humans have an innate selfishness and unless they really ask themselves about their actions and accept that fact then they would not be at ease. I am not sure if it is my false ego telling me to purse medicine to show people that I am selfless. Really... I'm unsure. But, it is in my core belief that helping people is a necessity of life. If you don't thinks so, then so be it - I know that eventually my conscience will get to me and there will be a day where I question myself and really evaluate myself.

fatassmcfat

HSC
Who cares if people have a secretive selfishness of feeling like a 'good person', it is a 100x better motive than what other people have for jobs and not a desire you can really help feeling

fatassmcfat

HSC
meaning dont feel bad about being a doctor to fulfill your ego since just about everything we do in public is for that reason

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Fundamental reason if I were to choose Medicine (despite having basically 0 interest):
- That 99% employment rate.

:haha:

All jokes aside...

Valid points but narrow perspective. I believe anyone can make a difference in any career given that they actually want to. Teachers providing lunch time tutoring for failing students, road engineers who make sure our roads are safe for us to travel on etc. Lawyers have a different set of morales because it is the nature of their job. Prosecutors can be even worse than defence lawyers when they manipulate evidence to put someone behind bars ignoring the fact that they may be innocent. By grouping certain professions as a whole into these "scumbag" categories is immature and frankly shows lack of insight.

You have a gift for business by the sounds of it. I don't know how well you will do in medicine but medicine isn't all about helping people. You will be under paid, under appreciated and under mined for the hard work you put in (especially at the beginning). You will become a cogwheel of the health system and change is difficult to initiate. You don't need to do medicine to prove a point that you are being selfless. I believe you are doing medicine for your own selfish needs of proving to yourself and others that you are unselfish. Instead you should think of how you will benefit this society in your gifted areas because I think that is where you will make the biggest difference.
tbh I'm doing a 1st year law subject at UTS called ''Ethics Law and Justice'' at the moment and... I've realised how stupid the public view/perception is when it comes to the morality and ethics of lawyers...

Firstly, when I categorize businessmen and lawyers, I'm not talking about everyone. I truly believe that there are some people who are passionate and faithful to what they do. That said, I even have respect for some 'criminals' whom may act unlawfully but to my morals correct. Again, before I go on to a discussion on the societal structures... In answer to what you said, it is probably true. In answer to your comment, I think that all humans have an innate selfishness and unless they really ask themselves about their actions and accept that fact then they would not be at ease. I am not sure if it is my false ego telling me to purse medicine to show people that I am selfless. Really... I'm unsure. But, it is in my core belief that helping people is a necessity of life. If you don't thinks so, then so be it - I know that eventually my conscience will get to me and there will be a day where I question myself and really evaluate myself.
Basically nearly every profession does this, especially if you are gifted in the field you pursue.

Medman

HSC
Good I think this is a fair response but don't judge any job so generically because in every job there will always be individuals who will abuse their powers and privileges. Personally from my perspective I think unless you are a humanitarian and you are willing to dedicate your entirety to a not for profit cause you will never be truly selfless (but even then there are exceptions). I believe people will always do something for other reasons; the crux of the issue is whether it is socially accceptable. Whether it be for the benefit of learning and knowledge, prestige, honour, pressure or whatever other reason they may be, you have to be honest with yourself in order to find the best outcome.

I'm not saying you shouldn't do medicine but don't jump to the conclusion that medicine is a selfless career. It is a rewarding career but at the same time there are many pitfalls and frustrations just like any other job. At the end of the day it really comes down to what you make of it just like every other job out there. You can choose follow ethics and morals loosely or strictly but don't think everyone in medicine has a well defined set of morals and ethics.

I think it's good you brought this to a debate and I believe you are quite mature to realise the salient points of my arguments previously. Just remember you can choose to be selfless in any career. If you want any help regarding medicine feel free to give me a buzz.

Medman

HSC
Fundamental reason if I were to choose Medicine (despite having basically 0 interest):
- That 99% employment rate.
Lol it's not 99% any longer in urban. I've been speaking to Basic trainees and AT's and everyone is talking about the lack of end of tunnel jobs. How long do you have left?

RishBonjour99

HSC
N/A
I've seen many posts here on the forums of why people want to study medicine. People state many reasons, of which some seem to be conjured up, merely to present the "passionate doctor," while others may be genuine in their struggle to become doctors. Now, I am not too sure if many people agree with me here, but after honestly asking myself the question, I found myself puzzled. Now, why do I want to be a doctor. Do I really want to only help people? There are countless number of ways to advance society and help communities. More people simply need food and water than medical attention. Why do I not simply dedicate myself to helping those who are truly unfortunate. We tell each other every time, there are people in "Africa" (the usual) who don't have food, yet the following day we simply continue wih our programmed wasteful lifestyles. Now, I'm saying this for myself. I know there are people who are less fortunate than me... I know people in the Middle East are being slaughtered... I know that some people work for hours in unbearable conditions only so that they may keep a grasp of whatever they call life. But in the end, I resort back to my grand lifestyle, which ironically is evident in me writing this post itself. Now, on the other hand, am I doing this primarily for money? I know for a fact that I personally know ways in which I can make money. I was in year 10 and bad already run an eBay business, making $3000 profit without getting out of my house (expect for going to the post office). I know that studying economics, business or even the thriving technological fields is logical more profitable. So why do I choose medicine?
The reason why I want to be a doctor becomes evident when my perspective broadens. I want to know that by the time that I am older, that I have at least tried to help. I want to a knowledge that I attempted to combat my inherent human selfishness.
I ask you, the reader, what will prestige and money mean when you are older? Seriously, think about this because when his epiphany hit me, I was settled. As of now, you must have some electrical device to be able to read this. You are very fortunate, and for the purpose of this argument, I'll assume you are not loaded... You definantly have EVERYTHING you need and have most things that you want. Sure, our impulsive nature calls for more, but step aside from this perspective and realise it is false. Having a nice car, house, gadgets and the such sure is a bonus... but everything is temporary. I don't want to come to the realization later on in my life, where I am "happily married with kids, a spacious house and nice car," that frankly I was selfish and that I will die in selfishness. In truthfulness, I know for a fact that (for someone like me) living on 60-80k annually provides for everything that I need and even want. All I hope is that if I was to become a high earning doctor and that my human flaws got to me, that I have helped some people. I don't know what I will be like if I was to earn 150-200k per year, but making that money as a lawyer or business person, I would frankly regard myself as the scumbag leech of society.
Doctors earn quite well - especially if you're a high rolling surgeon. Putting such a hefty price on health care, something people need - not even a want - wouldn't that make doctors a "leech" of society? There are plenty of doctors making close to a million/year.
You're response comes out as 1) naive and 2) trying to prove to yourself that you are selfless. Couple of my friends are doing med, no one is doing it for 'helping people'. Med is a good career. Generally, good job satisfaction, well paid and good job security. Also if you're asian or curry, it has extra prestige within the community.

Also, without businesses/entrepreneurs - drugs wouldn't be produced the way they are now. R&D would be much lower etc.

Fade1233

HSC
N/A

Either way 'ducksy' if you have the will to help people, you will do so while staying independent of your financial conditions. I however have the will but need to find and pave the way.

ipikip

HSC
I've seen many posts here on the forums of why people want to study medicine. People state many reasons, of which some seem to be conjured up, merely to present the "passionate doctor," while others may be genuine in their struggle to become doctors. Now, I am not too sure if many people agree with me here, but after honestly asking myself the question, I found myself puzzled. Now, why do I want to be a doctor. Do I really want to only help people? There are countless number of ways to advance society and help communities. More people simply need food and water than medical attention. Why do I not simply dedicate myself to helping those who are truly unfortunate. We tell each other every time, there are people in "Africa" (the usual) who don't have food, yet the following day we simply continue wih our programmed wasteful lifestyles. Now, I'm saying this for myself. I know there are people who are less fortunate than me... I know people in the Middle East are being slaughtered... I know that some people work for hours in unbearable conditions only so that they may keep a grasp of whatever they call life. But in the end, I resort back to my grand lifestyle, which ironically is evident in me writing this post itself. Now, on the other hand, am I doing this primarily for money? I know for a fact that I personally know ways in which I can make money. I was in year 10 and bad already run an eBay business, making $3000 profit without getting out of my house (expect for going to the post office). I know that studying economics, business or even the thriving technological fields is logical more profitable. So why do I choose medicine?
The reason why I want to be a doctor becomes evident when my perspective broadens. I want to know that by the time that I am older, that I have at least tried to help. I want to a knowledge that I attempted to combat my inherent human selfishness.
I ask you, the reader, what will prestige and money mean when you are older? Seriously, think about this because when his epiphany hit me, I was settled. As of now, you must have some electrical device to be able to read this. You are very fortunate, and for the purpose of this argument, I'll assume you are not loaded... You definantly have EVERYTHING you need and have most things that you want. Sure, our impulsive nature calls for more, but step aside from this perspective and realise it is false. Having a nice car, house, gadgets and the such sure is a bonus... but everything is temporary. I don't want to come to the realization later on in my life, where I am "happily married with kids, a spacious house and nice car," that frankly I was selfish and that I will die in selfishness. In truthfulness, I know for a fact that (for someone like me) living on 60-80k annually provides for everything that I need and even want. All I hope is that if I was to become a high earning doctor and that my human flaws got to me, that I have helped some people. I don't know what I will be like if I was to earn 150-200k per year, but making that money as a lawyer or business person, I would frankly regard myself as the scumbag leech of society.
Mate learn to paragraph.

Most people who study medicine are science graduates who want to do something interesting, not idealistically save the world.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)