• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

The Great Men of History (1 Viewer)

E

Empyrean444

I really think it depends on the specific situation: there are times when "great men" have very little effect, and other forces are doing most of the work in moving the wheels of history (I think this to be most situations). It is possible, though, for the individual to have a gargantuan impact on very rare occasions (for example, I think we can attribute Hannibal's battelfield successes mostly to his personal genius, rather than, for instance, a superior logistical system or an overall superior army).

Generally though (esp. in ancient conceptions) the role of the 'great man' is misleadingly overaccentuated.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Obviously I think that certain women are very great. I'm a bigger fan than most of Thatcher, Her Majesty, Gillard, Hillary...

But sure, women were made to mother new life. This is a sacred function and often bars them from masculine definitions of greatness, which are bound up with money and power

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
What you see is a guy who never measured a man (or woman's) success by the size of his (or her) wallet!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)