The hoo-hah surrounding investment banking (1 Viewer)

Conspirocy

HSC
I'll be honest my mates are vaccies and cadets at accounting firms...they talk themselves up like no tomorrow about what they are doing. Let's be honest, most of you are collecting a free paycheck so that a firm can have a 'valuable' asset in the future.

I've had mates that have gone into IB as well...from what I have seen the average commerce student wont make it in IB. Especially when they have a focus on it from day one, that it is the be all and end all. When frinkinator says there is a certain personality that enjoys investment banking he is right. There is also a certain personality that enjoys accounting work at a big 4 firm.

At the end of the day you arent judged on where you start, but where you finish. So there is some merit to the IB arguement. This also depends on what you want to get out of it.

One thing I haven't seen much of is people interested in working for large companies?? Why isn't this an attractive option? Personally, for me, they are at the top of my list when I go job hunting as a grad.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
frinkanator said:
seriously like i said if you just going to worry about the cosmetics in a corp you wouldn't belong in IB. I highly doubt your assumed stats on IBs anyway. there are different divisions in IB, and they each have different workloads and timescales. If you say IB is all about staring at the computer screen watching the market move while Big 4 is all about having a gay old time pushing audit papers in a uni-like atmosphere with more hot chicks then I'd have to ask myself who is doing the bagging, spinning and stereotyping.
a layman would say it's all the bloody same... a job stuck in a cubicle pushing papers and dealing with office politics all day. Personally I like to think way ahead of the cubicle job, and how to use it to make it easier on myself later.
The thing which you don't seem to get is... the difference between his stereotyping and yours- is that his is actually based on living it day-in day-out experience.

frinkanator said:
you know exactly what I'm talking about. just because you do a somewhat more of a qualified job in recruitment doesn't mean you're in control of jack. Do you actually believe you are taking active part in the profit generating of the corporation? at most you're learning how the system operates and have good 'relationships' with management, perhaps with other employees. but please... get off your high horse. remember, outside of the suits and cocktails you're still a uni student that lives at home supported by mummy and daddy.
1. Vacation work =/= Full time

2. Again you've managed to bewilder me with the 'taking active part in the profit generating of the corporation' line... are you referring to whether we generate revenue for the firm? Or are you referring to whether or not issues which we raise are taken seriously by clients when their finstats won't get signed off?

As for the 'uni student that lives at home supported by mummy and daddy' line... I'm proud that I still live at home with parents. Simply put, if I didn't, then I probably wouldn't have time to have a home-made dinner (or at least a decent one). Then there's the obvious financial incentives of staying at home.

frinkanator said:
there it is again, the condecending tone against some fool who hasn't had the 'corporate experience'. Yes, i'm not unemployed. full time students are never unemployed. let alone part of the work force. tell me what the hell is a 'job' to you anyway? licking balls at big 4? working at woolies stocking shelves?
I'm too lazy to argue this.

frinkanator said:
errr yeah I did say I'm that good that I'll get into any job I can. [sarcasm/] can you tell me exactly where I bragged about my future job? all I did was outline what I do as a private trader and hint at what it involves. but you and others take it like I'm bragging. there's my point again- just because there are no corporate letterheads supporting what I do, anything I say about my activities is worthless bragging.
I'd ask you for some real stats on your successful trading... but honestly, I don't care.

frinkanator said:
Why do you want to know where I wish to work anyway? So you can dob me, the ego-driven ponce, into those corps who plans to destroy the big 4's of this world? Isn't it quite apparent that I support IB? so I suggest you alert as many of those corps as you can that I'm coming!
What a good idea.

I'm just more curious to see if your first day/week/month/year on the job in IB is everything you think it'll be.

As for where I got the impression you thought you could get whatever job you wanted... hard to say really. That's right, it's your continuous reminder that you've got kickass trader experience and how you have the proper mindset knowing the 'rush' for IB making you a perfect candidate to get the job. Not to mention that you've got the great connections.

But for the sake of convenience, I'll retract my point and we'll just wait around until you graduate and tell us what job you end up with.

frinkanator said:
So, since you know all about corps and my inferior situation trading 'my parents shares' - I want you to outline exactly what you and other cadets do at the corps, outline what you do is so groundbreaking and why you believe it surpasses any experience I and others receive in trading the various markets and risking their own livelihoods.
Hmm... there's no "exactly what we do". It changes quite a bit on a regular basis and we're constantly given a new section/area to work on. Furthermore, each firm has it's own trade secrets (ie. methodology)... if you really want to know what happens in audit, go study it in uni or something.

EDIT: Thought I'd add something- because we're never going to be able to convince you that what we do is meaningful anyway, why bother? However, what I think would be interesting is what you think grads in IB actually do.

Just to clarify something though, when people here talk about experience... it's not to say that your experience is inferior, but rather it's to say that experience is experience. Whilst your trading experience at home may have similarities to whatever career it is that you're aspiring to, and that you are "risking" your "own livelihoods"... until you've actually worked in the job it is that you're aspiring for, you know jack.

In your other thread (Accounting vs Investment Banking);
frinkanator said:
they've done is read books, done exams, got a degree and tagged along in some cadetships, but experiencing the rush is totally different
... you've bagged out uni students who have spent their lives reading books, doing exams and working in industry. But if you compare it to what you've done and claimed in the sentence above it;

frinkanator said:
And I'm lucky enough to taste a bit of it trading the markets and learning from those who've been there. you are essentially the little fish amongst a sea full of IB's and funds. I've talked to those in the aussie industry, and read about many who've worked at london SE, nyse, and the truth is many of those grads, are yet to experience the roller coaster ride that comes with the job.
The only experience in industry is hearsay. So how exactly are you any different from the kid who studies Accounting in uni and has to do a practice set/manual book keeping assignment?

Meh. Frinkanator... you're not as interesting as you used to be. If I don't reply it's because I am too tired/lazy to debate. I'll let one of the many other BoSers keep you company.

Last edited:

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Ahh a much more interesting thought!

Conspirocy said:
One thing I haven't seen much of is people interested in working for large companies?? Why isn't this an attractive option? Personally, for me, they are at the top of my list when I go job hunting as a grad.
Well I'm sure you know the statistics... most people in Big4, audit especially, jump ship after CA. Why? Because with the audit knowledge and the CA-qualification, you start off alot higher than you would if you had tried working your way up from Graduate Corporate Accountant (and it's also alot easier to get a job). That being said, large companies do pay really well compared to prof services firms.

I guess it all depends what you want to do. I don't really like the idea of being in the one place all the time. I actually enjoy the inconvenience of having to go to various client sites and work remotely. Maybe when I get older I'll change my preferences, but for now.. it's what I enjoy.

Meads

Drummer Boy
HSC
Conspirocy said:
Oh but some of us are interested to work for large companies...we are waiting to be poached by a client!

juzmister

HSC
I did a month internship at one of the big banks in ECM...It was a fantastic work environment-people running everywhere, total chaos, 2 days to fill the book on a block trade, shouting, screaming, printers going, but all i can say is WOW was it amazing. You forget about how long you have been there, and just focus. It does seem to fill "the best years of your life", but you meet so many fantastic contacts in the process. If you enjoy it, you will "survive" it!

mcs

HSC
what an interesting thread.... lol in my opinion IB is for maniacs without a life and Accountants good on you for doing what you do.... cause Im currently working over the summer in an Accountancy firm and well the work bores me big time but i can see how some people enjoy it! Saying that there is no way Ill be either, Ill find some nice cushy middle road. I dont want to lose the best years of my life in my 20's as an IB and I dont want to die of Boredom (My opinion only) as an accountant!!!
Keep up the heated thread though, it makes most interesting and enjoyable reading!

Matt

turtleface

HSC
frinkanator said:
then there's the "oooh I think I'm top with my corporate cadetship etc so I should be most able to comment on IB" snobby sentiment...
while suiting up in getting coffee for some dudes in a corporate giant looks great on paper,
there it is again, the condecending tone against some fool who hasn't had the 'corporate experience'.
gahhhh i cant stand it, the Big 4 in australia are partnerships not corporations.

frinkanator

HSC
seremify007 said:
The thing which you don't seem to get is... the difference between his stereotyping and yours- is that his is actually based on living it day-in day-out experience.
his 'day-in day-out experience' makes him a CPA eh?

1. Vacation work =/= Full time
yes. and so I suppose you work full time at pwc? 40 hour weeks for 52 weeks, 9-5? but wait a sec aren't you Bcom at UNSW? gee, that means you really aren't full time. or you have you got a time turner from the harry potter?

2. Again you've managed to bewilder me with the 'taking active part in the profit generating of the corporation' line... are you referring to whether we generate revenue for the firm? Or are you referring to whether or not issues which we raise are taken seriously by clients when their finstats won't get signed off?
more corp drivel. simple. Do cadets make their own analytical audit decisions and use them in interactions with real clients (is management that dumb? letting a school kid deal in corporate transactions?) or are you just guided by the real employees into understanding real life transactions. perhaps even chat with a client or two. (or are your just BS'ing and sugarcoating what you really do?)

As for the 'uni student that lives at home supported by mummy and daddy' line... I'm proud that I still live at home with parents. Simply put, if I didn't, then I probably wouldn't have time to have a home-made dinner (or at least a decent one). Then there's the obvious financial incentives of staying at home.
me too. I like free meals and accommodation. but a CPA/CA doing that? unless you're a mummas boy, then probably not.

I'd ask you for some real stats on your successful trading... but honestly, I don't care.
did I ever say I was successful? and which right-minded trader would brag about their 'stats' anyway. this is what I mean by your lack of understanding or regard for what people like me do.

What a good idea.

I'm just more curious to see if your first day/week/month/year on the job in IB is everything you think it'll be.
well according to you and statistics and rumors I'll be burnt out and have no social life in no time.

As for where I got the impression you thought you could get whatever job you wanted... hard to say really. That's right, it's your continuous reminder that you've got kickass trader experience and how you have the proper mindset knowing the 'rush' for IB making you a perfect candidate to get the job. Not to mention that you've got the great connections.
kickass trading experience? I did mention I know some who have had IB experiences.... but did I specifically say getting the job would be a breeze because of my perfect talents and oversized IB cock? errr no, that would be you making assumptions again.

Hmm... there's no "exactly what we do". It changes quite a bit on a regular basis and we're constantly given a new section/area to work on. Furthermore, each firm has it's own trade secrets (ie. methodology)... if you really want to know what happens in audit, go study it in uni or something.
hmmm yes it's all a secret eh? only for the top corp gun eh? It's funny whenever the little I say of what I do it is bragging at how im a 'kickass trader', but when I ask you to describe what you so humbly do, it's all a big secret. And I'm not asking what auditors do in audit. I'm asking you what you do as a cadet in audit. I'm sensing someone is getting a little too big for their 'job'.
However, what I think would be interesting is what you think grads in IB actually do.
getting whipped in 18 hour shifts while they lob grenades over cubicles? and lack of 'chicks' may I add? Well it depends on which departments. IB - M&A? Risk management? FICC? Equities? Sales? Trading? Research?

Whilst your trading experience at home may have similarities to whatever career it is that you're aspiring to, and that you are "risking" your "own livelihoods"... until you've actually worked in the job it is that you're aspiring for, you know jack.
sorry jeff, I know being a CPA/Auditor/Uni student can take its toll. As far as I take it, just because I haven't 'worked in the job I'm aspiring for' I'm quite inferior to someone who has, like yourself? Now if that's not belittling someone who is different from you then what is? You out of all people, whose seen the recruitment all happen, should know that many corporate recruiters don't just take kids who have been Bcom uni nerds, or cadet campers. They could get a BA'er for god sakes. Anyone who suits the attitudes and goals of the corp can be accepted. The skills and training can be easily taught. But i guess drive and passion for other things mean nothing to you without a Big 4 sticker on it doesn't it?

The only experience in industry is hearsay. So how exactly are you any different from the kid who studies Accounting in uni and has to do a practice set/manual book keeping assignment?
Yes, I guess I'm only qualified to argue with you unless I'm at least a certified derivatives trader, dealing in billion dollar transactions. See you're asking me how am I different from a uni accounting student, but if I do explain, you'll just take it as bragging. So whats the point? I really don't care if any of you take it as bragging anyway. I know myself and other traders alike that it sure ain't bragging. but if you must, I'll repeat what I do. And note this is no different to the activities of any of the other private traders our there.

I have traded shares, options, forex and CFDs with my father since I was 17. We analyse the markets and companies by the various media outlets, fundamental analysis (like your basic accounting P/E ratios, yields, statements and projections), and technical analysis (using software, scans, charts of various time-frames, statistical indicators, theories and trend analysis) - these are all learned through books, seminars, internet, experience and applied learning. and depending on our trading time frame we plan our trade of whatever instrument - Be it a share, option, CFD, future, currency in whatever market around the world.

The other logistics we have to deal with are the accounts at the banks and brokers we use.

Is there adequate funding in the accounts in case a trade/s go wrong? And how does time to settlement delay the withdrawing and depositing of funds?
In dealing with leveraged instruments, what are the margins of each product and how do I calculate my position? What are interest charges on overnight positions?
How does brokerage and other fees affect my position?
Is the liquidity enough? Will I get in and out smoothly? Or can I lose money through slippage?
If offshore, do we have to deal with currency exchanges? Tax laws and regulations?

That is just analysing your entry. Once you execute your order of long or short/buy & sell, methods of protecting your position and risk management involving stop losses and the position sizing should have simultaneously been taken into account. Calculations are always being done and double checked.

The psychology involved once you have an open position is most of the battle, which is nothing you can learn from a book or lecturer at uni or receive from playing a kiddy share market game. As you take in all the factors in news and current affairs, to any issues you have with friends and family - they all affect your attitude towards your open positions and future attitude towards the markets:
-"Damn I've promised to go do some errands but I really can't leave the computer when it's so close to the 4:00pm close. Do I enter an automatic Limit order in case my position moves violently? Should I call the brokers to make sure?"
-Looking at the real time market depth of orders of CBA, I see massive volume at $25.35. Could that be a fund trying to manipulate the price? Should I take advantage of this or be cautious?
-Oh, one of the indicators is signalling a sell. Should I wait til my stop loss is executed? Should I move my stop loss?
-Copper was down on the London metals exchange, but BHP was up in New York how will that affect my 1000 shares in BHP?
-US jobs growth data for January revealed that demand is up and therefore interest rates may be on the rise. How does the currency pair EURUSD I'm trading get affected?
-Will the US fed reserves stance on increasing interest rates affect our market this week? How about the slowing US economy?
-If a terrorist attack happens overnight, what will happen to my position? Is it hedged or protected? Or can I make money out of it?
-The worsening Aussie drought seems to have pushed up Wheat futures prices. Should I buy more on analysts calls?
-How about geopolitical tensions in the Middle East affecting oil prices. Will that increase the share price of Aussie oil companies I currently hold?
-My mate just mentioned to buy ANZ because he 'heard' of a rumor. Do I listen to him?

Ok. BHP has moved up $2.00 on good metals prices in london, and I just made $2000 in just 2 days. I feel like superman. It looks like it's going shoot up to the moon. Do I hang on? Or sell? Or Sell half? Or pyramid and add to my position on a techincal breakout?

And what happens when you lose? "Oh, I went long and bought Coles group because of a takeover bid, but I was wrong and the bid was rejected. It went down $1.50 and now I've lost $1000. Do I sell now coz it's bound to go back up." You hang on. Next day it goes down another 50c and you're $1500 down. Dammit I should've used a stop loss. Do you bite the bullet now ot do you listen to your ego and keep holding on?

What happens when a stupid decision makes you lose big? Or continue a losing streak? Will feelings of depression set in? Do you continue your quest, or burn out and go back to work? Should you gamble more next time to make up for your losses? Or is it all too hard and hopeless? This is all inner game. The battlefield in your mind. Now if you can't even sort out the emotions and demons in your head, how can you make money with book smarts alone? Will academia save you? Hell no.

Every trader goes through this roller coaster ride, whether you just trade shares once a month, or trade intraday currencies or soy bean futures on minute charts. And you can't be successful unless your bitten the dust several times. It's a process of refining your own trading system that is tailored to your life. There is no universal holy grail that will make everyone $$$. But it usually takes a lot of losses and emotional hits before novice traders realise this. They are humbling experiences. But with courage and determination, your passion will get you through, and you will be wealthy.

But it is definitely not for anyone who wants a quick buck. Many say it's one of the hardest games if not the hardest game on the planet.

---- now if you're not telling me that has taught me jack about how it all works then boy you must have a fat rabbit stuck up your arse. Trading sizable positions with your own money is no joke, and is nothing compared to paper trading. The psychological element and instinct is only to be attained through sheer experience. Now because of your biased, elitist mind you may take it that from the way I talk I think I'm a 'kickass trader', but nothing can be further from the truth. If anything I have learned to humble myself. I don't have an impeccable record, nor am I 'rich'. I'm like most challenged traders out there, trying to refine my system through experience. And no-one is there to hold your hand. You discover, increase skill and battle everything within your mind.

Now to tie it all in with our argument, I do believe this great experience has taught me very well. No way am I saying I'm better than someone who has actual IB experience. but I do believe a very small minority of people my age have fully tasted it. Coz frankly, there are a lot of immature dickheads our age. They may have dabbled in a bit, been interested, played a few games, got lucky, but no real experience. The Meetings and seminars I go to are mostly filled with middle to senior aged men and women. In trading within an IB or related firm, the stories I read to the people who I talk to, they have never failed to mention the particular psychological component that are necessary in surviving. In their many years experience they have all lived through what I have tasted, and all say there is none other than experiencing it for yourself. Whether they be corporate IB'ers, doctors, lawyers, retired professionals, to mum and dad traders at home. Whether they deal in million dollar or hundred dollar contracts, risk percentage is relative to the trader. - So don't go claiming that working for Goldman in a cadetship is the only superior way to learn, because I really don't think they'd let you anywhere near a dollar of their real money anyway. Perhaps they or your uni have a 'market simulator', but that is what it is. A game.

Particularly in the analysis of markets and trading, I do believe this will give me a little leg up when it comes to job interviews. I won't brag about any wins, but more how the whole thing has shaped me. However, I do acknowledge that corporates would look at other extra achievements of others with the same unbiased regard. Now whether an IB cadetship is just a bunch of hoo hah where they guide you through their M&A clients activities so you can see up close and personal how it's all done, or even let you speak to clients, or even execute real trades (which I highly doubt)... I dunno. It's apparent I've never been a cadet. But to say what I've experienced with real trading (let alone my extra-curricular activities), is jack in comparison to what you do at a Big 4, just proves you're still an upstuck uni-boi who thinks he knows all.

Meh. Frinkanator... you're not as interesting as you used to be. If I don't reply it's because I am too tired/lazy to debate. I'll let one of the many other BoSers keep you company.
I know I'm boring. it's the same old bullshit over and over again right? But let me say one thing: I have actually bothered in providing a little sample about myself, to try and make you understand what it's like particularly for private traders my age. But I'm still waiting on your answer to my question in outlining what you do, and why is it so superior to what private traders do that you can call it jack in comparison.

After all this I have come to a conclusion about you. I think you paint too a rosy picture of yourself, as the glitz and glamour has eroded your judgement of others different to you. Kudos to you for getting into a corp cadetship, although I assume those positions are based on uni/high school marks alone. And smarts does not equal competency. If it's one thing I've learned in trading - you can be the most skilled statistician or mathamatician and know the analysis back to front, but without inner game and management skills those brains of yours are nothing. Often doctors, lawyers and accountants that become traders bring their own 'intellect' to trading, thinking their success in their professions would easily translate to easy money. Boy are they wrong. It's usually the pompous, egotistical brains that burn out quick because of their perfectionist academics. Sadly many make it into IB, and they learn the hard way.

Your interpretation of living it day in day out is a flawed one, if you think all that is needed is cadetship experience. I can name numerous aspects other than high marks such as people and linguistic skills, the ability to handle risk under pressure, that are just as important. At most cadets are up close and personal with the action, but not mutually contributing to the transactions, and with the team holding their hand throughout the whole process. Do you really think they'd risk leaving you alone with clients? Anymore closer and you'd be a CPA. And from the tone of your posts, in your confidence that you would be auditing the IB's I apply for, you speak from the authority like you were one. Which is merely just a Bcom uni-boi fantasy. If you can prove it to me otherwise then please do.

In the mean time, don't patronise me until you have left uni and are an actual auditor for a big 4 with real experience. and then you'd probably still be up yourself.

cheers.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
It's late so I'm going to give very half assed answers. But I do want to add one thing to the whole IB vs. Accounting debate... the hours in Accounting aren't as short as some people make them out to be!

frinkanator said:
his 'day-in day-out experience' makes him a CPA eh?
Better than nothing.

frinkanator said:
yes. and so I suppose you work full time at pwc? 40 hour weeks for 52 weeks, 9-5? but wait a sec aren't you Bcom at UNSW? gee, that means you really aren't full time. or you have you got a time turner from the harry potter?
Cadets go to night classes.

frinkanator said:
more corp drivel. simple. Do cadets make their own analytical audit decisions and use them in interactions with real clients (is management that dumb? letting a school kid deal in corporate transactions?) or are you just guided by the real employees into understanding real life transactions. perhaps even chat with a client or two. (or are your just BS'ing and sugarcoating what you really do?)
After about 6 months or so, cadets start to do analytical work... that is, looking at percentage variances and trying to explain them without resorting to doing dry substantive work (ie. checking invoices/receipts). A basic example would be that if receivables went up considerably, instead of just checking a material amount of invoices to make sure that they are genuine, an analytic could be the ratio between receivables and sales showing that whilst receivables grew considerably, so did sales revenue.

I know I haven't bothered to explain what I actually do (read the auditors thread- it's quite good), but at our level we don't advise the client in how to deal with their transactions. It's not our job to tell them how to do the books- if there's an issue, we raise it with the seniors who decide whether it's important enough to force the client to make adjustments or to change their practices in the future.

frinkanator said:
me too. I like free meals and accommodation. but a CPA/CA doing that? unless you're a mummas boy, then probably not.
As you already know, I'm not a CPA/CA yet.

frinkanator said:
did I ever say I was successful? and which right-minded trader would brag about their 'stats' anyway. this is what I mean by your lack of understanding or regard for what people like me do.
My mistake then. So are you saying you're unsuccessful at your trading?

frinkanator said:
kickass trading experience? I did mention I know some who have had IB experiences.... but did I specifically say getting the job would be a breeze because of my perfect talents and oversized IB cock? errr no, that would be you making assumptions again.
From another thread;
frinkanator said:
Phrred, I've done relatively well in trading, but not without its downfalls of course.... as you'd know most responsible traders don't publicly blow their own horns on returns so to speak.
frinkanator said:
hmmm yes it's all a secret eh? only for the top corp gun eh? It's funny whenever the little I say of what I do it is bragging at how im a 'kickass trader', but when I ask you to describe what you so humbly do, it's all a big secret. And I'm not asking what auditors do in audit. I'm asking you what you do as a cadet in audit. I'm sensing someone is getting a little too big for their 'job'.
Different firms have different audit approaches and methodology. The basic idea behind them is the same, but if you really want to know what we do, come have a coffee with me sometime when I'm not so busy and I'll happily answer your questions. Maybe I do make my job sound more interesting than it is, maybe I don't. But either way I still enjoy it.

frinkanator said:
sorry jeff, I know being a CPA/Auditor/Uni student can take its toll. As far as I take it, just because I haven't 'worked in the job I'm aspiring for' I'm quite inferior to someone who has, like yourself?
What makes you inferior is the way you treat others whether it be thinking less of them or because you choose to only associate with successful people;

I find it pointless to argue with most of you, as it is apparent that your massive academic heads are far too big to comprehend or try to understand where I'm coming from. I'm glad I won't be such an anus in my latter uni years.
btw I'm only 19 in 2nd year, and don't think your light years ahead of us intellectually
I have far more regard for the joe bloggs "millionaire next door" who had to lose a million, hit rock bottom, supporting a family or relationship before the market got on his side and managed to conjure up the courage to trade again. I doubt you people have networked with such individuals.
I actually associate with ex IB'ers (one, being one of our brokers). Not lick their ass through superficial training.
being a corporate lap dog, taking out the auditors trash and making coffee perhaps?
If you can't handle the unplesantries of doing business with people, then sorry you're not cut for it. An employer would rather take up someone whose decisive and instinctful than some preppy who just knows what to say at the right time, just to get browny points.
Anyway... too lazy to read your whole post.

frinkanator said:
After all this I have come to a conclusion about you. I think you paint too a rosy picture of yourself, as the glitz and glamour has eroded your judgement of others different to you. Kudos to you for getting into a corp cadetship, although I assume those positions are based on uni/high school marks alone. And smarts does not equal competency.
Actually academics are a very minor part of getting our job.

But honestly, I don't really care what you think about me. Maybe I have a rosey view on what we do, but at least I see it with my own eyes.

frinkanator said:
Your interpretation of living it day in day out is a flawed one, if you think all that is needed is cadetship experience. I can name numerous aspects other than high marks such as people and linguistic skills, the ability to handle risk under pressure, that are just as important. At most cadets are up close and personal with the action, but not mutually contributing to the transactions, and with the team holding their hand throughout the whole process. Do you really think they'd risk leaving you alone with clients? Anymore closer and you'd be a CPA.
I don't understand why you keep saying 'transactions'... The point of auditing ultimately is to provide external/3rd party assurance over the reliability of financial data.

frinkanator said:
And from the tone of your posts, in your confidence that you would be auditing the IB's I apply for, you speak from the authority like you were one. Which is merely just a Bcom uni-boi fantasy. If you can prove it to me otherwise then please do.
I don't need to prove anything about who makes up my client base. I admit that I have had only a small amount of IB audit exposure, but I've done enough funds audit work to know what's going on.

frinkanator said:
In the mean time, don't patronise me until you have left uni and are an actual auditor for a big 4 with real experience. and then you'd probably still be up yourself.
LOL. Ok, I will admit that I have probably been up myself posting in this thread, but it still doesn't change my belief that I think your posts would be taken a lot more seriously if you actually spent some time working. I know you do trading and you seem to know alot about both the profession and the actual job, but since this thread is about working in an IB, until you've actually set foot inside, you don't really know how it feels to be behind those walls. Whilst I don't know that much either about what it's like inside the IB, I do know what happens between when I go to work in the morning, and when I come home at night.

Btw, I have nothing more to say on this so I'm probably not going to give much of a reply later on- so there's not much point chopping up my post and replying to individual components. Leaving on a more positive note, Good luck with getting a job in the future and whether or not you end up in IB is your choice, but kudos for at least doing a heck of a lot of research and gaining as much practical experience as you can. Even if it doesn't appear on your resume, it's still better than nothing.

kow_dude

HSC
You guys are fucking sad spending so much time posting long shit. Seremify007, you remind me of the stereotypical character of a dull and boring asian accountant who talks nothing else other than accounting (in fact, all your posts are in accounting related threads).

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
kow_dude said:
You guys are fucking sad spending so much time posting long shit. Seremify007, you remind me of the stereotypical character of a dull and boring asian accountant who talks nothing else other than accounting (in fact, all your posts are in accounting related threads).
If it so happens that the only forum you read which I post on is 'Commerce'... what did you expect?

mr_shittles

Big Chief
HSC
seremify007 said:
It's late so I'm going to give very half assed answers. But I do want to add one thing to the whole IB vs. Accounting debate... the hours in Accounting aren't as short as some people make them out to be!
Yep, thats true. I work only 15 hours a week more in IB than I did in accounting . . . which in the scheme of things isn't much, since I find the work much more interesting in IB.

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
frinkanator said:
If it's one thing I've learned in trading - you can be the most skilled statistician or mathamatician and know the analysis back to front, but without inner game and management skills those brains of yours are nothing.
I disagree with the generality of that statement as it depends what market you are trading in. For example, you need to be fairly competent in maths to succeed in credit derivatives or something exotic.

mr_shittles

Big Chief
HSC
§eraphim said:
I disagree with the generality of that statement as it depends what market you are trading in. For example, you need to be fairly competent in maths to succeed in credit derivatives or something exotic.
I think the point that frikanator was trying to make was that you need more than just maths competency to succceed. I'm not into trading, but from what i can gather, there's more to it than just quantitative ability. A good trader will have very good intuition, because quite often, even when the numbers stack up, if it doesn't quite feel rite, then it mightn't be such a good transaction. I think frikinator was refering to that decision making instinct.

frinkanator

HSC
seremify007 said:
Anyway... too lazy to read your whole post.
LOL. Ok, I will admit that I have probably been up myself posting in this thread, but it still doesn't change my belief that I think your posts would be taken a lot more seriously if you actually spent some time working.
Even if it doesn't appear on your resume, it's still better than nothing.
Well that just sums it up. isn't it convenient that you wish to be too lazy reading about what I do... it just reinforces your purposeful ignorance.
And given your ignorance about private trading, you'd be ignorant of the fact that it is basically the equivalent of running a business.
Along with investments in the property and fixed income markets, private trading on the stock, commodity and currency markets are frequented by many professionals including ex-Ibankers and other ex-corporates - after all whether private or corporate, however the size of their dealings, they are all sharing the same market relative to their own capacity and risk. But you wouldn't know this because as far as you're concerned, corporate dealings are much more superior because you happen to 'live it day-to-day'. I just hope you'll one day view the world on a much bigger scale, than from the skyscraper windows of Pwc.

Perhaps you just love to ignore young, success-building entrepreneurs who aren't in your sterile, coporate world. Good luck to you.

Cheers.

frinkanator

HSC
§eraphim said:
I'm not sure whether you are familiar with trading yourself, but you seem to be talking about corporate trading in an IB where frequently there are complex models and systems used in the automation of trades. I'm not sure exactly what goes on in IB, but I would imagine the maths would take place in analysis and research of markets, not exactly in the trading itself. In my experience there are a myriad of math and statistical tools and indicators, and theories out there, that can help in predicting the markets. but to those who are academically biased, one can spend their whole lifetime programming all the maths to create a 'holy grail' indicator that will make them rich. they only live to disappoint themseves. the issue is, historical data doesn't necessarily mean the future can be predicted 100%. And to highlight your point, it doesn't matter which instrument - dervatives or just plain shares.

Using maths to analyse the instrument, and its probabilities is quite flash up to a point, but it does nothing to alieviate the thoughts and psychology of the human executing the trade in the heat of the moment, as well as their risk management - which is most important. (eg, Can the maths predict a terrorist attack? or the sudden euphoric fear felt by the market?) like I said you'll only understand this through regularly trading yourself with your own money at risk. It's a common lesson learned by all traders, big busines or private, and usually comes with experience. they hardly teach that at uni - where you blandly learn all about the mechanics and maths behind financial instruments and markets.

Cheers.

Last edited:

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
frinkanator said:
I'm not sure whether you are familiar with trading yourself, but you seem to be talking about corporate trading in an IB where frequently there are complex models and systems used in the automation of trades. I'm not sure exactly what goes on in IB, but I would imagine the maths would take place in analysis and research of markets, not exactly in the trading itself. In my experience there are a myriad of math and statistical tools and indicators, and theories out there, that can help in predicting the markets. but to those who are academically biased, one can spend their whole lifetime programming all the maths to create a 'holy grail' indicator that will make them rich. they only live to disappoint themseves. the issue is, historical data doesn't necessarily mean the future can be predicted 100%. And to highlight your point, it doesn't matter which instrument - dervatives or just plain shares.

Using maths to analyse the instrument, and its probabilities is quite flash up to a point, but it does nothing to alieviate the thoughts and psychology of the human executing the trade in the heat of the moment, as well as their risk management - which is most important. (eg, Can the maths predict a terrorist attack? or the sudden euphoric fear felt by the market?) like I said you'll only understand this through regularly trading yourself with your own money at risk. It's a common lesson learned by all traders, big busines or private, and usually comes with experience. they hardly teach that at uni - where you blandly learn all about the mechanics and maths behind financial instruments and markets.

Cheers.
No, when it comes to markets like credit , inflation, etc, knowing the maths is much more important. Many quants from move into credit desks as traders and pick up the market knowledge/decision making along the way.

Secondly, arbitrage-type trades require you to know the models and historical data inside out.

So for specific markets and trades, the maths comes out on top. (I'm speaking from the pt of view as a quant wannabe)

Last edited:

frinkanator

HSC
§eraphim said:
No, when it comes to markets like credit , inflation, etc, knowing the maths is much more important. Many quants from move into credit desks as traders and pick up the market knowledge/decision making along the way.

Secondly, arbitrage-type trades require you to know the models and historical data inside out.

So for specific markets and trades, the maths comes out on top. (I'm speaking from the pt of view as a quant wannabe)
Yeah if you're talking about fixed income, bonds, exotics, market making in IB, then yes the maths is hard core. but obviously to get there in the first place, you'd be a math brain anyway. In the end the psych and quick decision skills is what makes you the dosh. All the quant skills, you learned are just the tools. I've done some option trading and math stuff like the greeks, volatility and that are cruicial in knowing what the hells going on in the first place, let alone being profitable. Like I mentioned, you can know your stuff but pulling the trigger in the moment is a different story. which is prob why traders sit on the sidelines learning the ropes in most of their first year on IB desks. Good on ya though, quants rake in the big bux ;)

Cheers.

Vagabond

Machine
HSC
Interesting thread

The problem here is everyone is going to naturally defend their interests, aspirations and personal choices

The 'superiority' argument I find quite pointless... We're not comparing panel beaters with mechanical engineers here so to speak.

I know someone who lives very, very comfortably working in big4 where the lifestyle is great. She started at the bottom and in her years she's travelled the world and has had some awesome experiences. When I consider her current age and remuneration I can't comprehend why anybody would talk down big4 work...

...I also have a good mate of mine who quit university mid-2nd year to be trained by an investment firm; now he's an associate at a smaller company and lives happily.. he never finnished uni and enjoys a workhard playhard lifestyle.

What I've gathered from both of them is that whatever you do, if you put the effort in and have the people skills to polish it off - you'll do great.

Further debate is trivial: each to his own.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)