The HSC Advice Line thread (1 Viewer)

X

xeuyrawp

DanielleM said:
Can you give us any advice in that?
What did she say?
Could I be a cranky Christopher and say that the thread will get uber-hijacked if you talk about that here. I wouldn't say anything if it wasn't a good thread. Maybe post in the previous King Lear threads or PMs or something?

That way, we can prepare people before they go on the advice line etc. :)

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
The AOS exam won't specify a stimulus text:

In the HSC examination students may be asked to refer to at least one text that they have selected from the stimulus booklet.

http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/syllabus_hsc/pdf_doc/journey_stimulus_04_07.pdf
The folks handling the advice line are fantastic and they definitely know the content of their courses, but you should always confirm anything regarding Board of Studies procedures or conduct of examinations with another source.

X

xeuyrawp

Lazarus said:
The AOS exam won't specify a stimulus text:
I've been told that it is possible for them to ask a question, like you said using a text that they selected, but also been given a text.

Z_Nizzle

HSC
xox_eMz_xox said:
"The HSC Advice Line is staffed by highly experienced expert teachers" --- thats what it says..
hahaha thats kinda bull...while some are good others suck.

I called them 8 times today to see how good the english teachers are.

I asked them all the same question for module B. the question was "what is textual integrity", and i already knew what it was....i was just testing them. The first dude had no freckin clue....and i was like mate...r u sure ur a english teacher cause thats in the bloody rubric...there was like this pause...i felt sorry for the bloke soo i hung up....others were quite good.

HSC
Do they see how many times one person calls? Say if one person fobs you off, could you ring again straight away to get another teacher or expert? I have yet to call, but I am planning on doing so tomorrow. When is it the busiest?

aaaman

Banned
HSC
*n.a.t.a.l.i.e* said:
Do they see how many times one person calls? Say if one person fobs you off, could you ring again straight away to get another teacher or expert? I have yet to call, but I am planning on doing so tomorrow. When is it the busiest?

dont call in da last hr thats my advice

PaleReflection

i can teach you
HSC
physician said:
the advice is line is more than realy good, its the best!...

i called for english module C (powerplay)... in that 15 minutes i learnt more than i did over the whole course in school...lol

by the way... notice at the beginning before ur transefered to the operator.. the guy says something along the line of....

"we do not hold responsibility for any misleading or negligent answers"...

I still don't think they can specify for journeys.... meh! even if they do... make something up on the spot and learn one quote from each stimulus text..

anywas.. the person i called was very helpful and understanding I just hope all the other teachers there are the same!
What did you ask about Powerplay? I'm so clueless on that topic that I wouldn't know where to start if I called...

Mandy101

HSC
Z_Nizzle said:
hahaha thats kinda bull...while some are good others suck.

I called them 8 times today to see how good the english teachers are.

I asked them all the same question for module B. the question was "what is textual integrity", and i already knew what it was....i was just testing them. The first dude had no freckin clue....and i was like mate...r u sure ur a english teacher cause thats in the bloody rubric...there was like this pause...i felt sorry for the bloke soo i hung up....others were quite good.
No offense, but if you're not interested in actually hearing an answer for your own benefit, you really shouldn't hog the lines. There are people out there who genuinly need help. Of course some teachers are not going to be experts - but they're giving up their time to help students in need.

DanielleM

HSC
In the HSC examination students may be asked to refer to at least one text that they have selected from the stimulus booklet.
damn...it says at least one so they CAN technically ask us to write about 2 but not specify them :eek:

physician

Some things never change.
HSC
PaleReflection said:
What did you ask about Powerplay? I'm so clueless on that topic that I wouldn't know where to start if I called...
well i kind of don't have any supps for this module, so i was hoping they would give me an idea of what i can use .. i asked for something that wouldn't be too time consuming. then i asked about exam techniques, what the markers are really looking for in this module... (alot of general questions), most of the answers weren't anything knew, stuff like "dont re-tell the story", but i got a good overview of what the module was asking... "how the author represents powerplay; techniques.. etc. etc." Don't have too many arguments have about 3 or 4 solid ones and go from there.

If ur clueless... tell em just that

"I can't seem to grasp the concepts behind this module, enlighten me please"

Im sure they'd be more than happy to help!!!
after all that's what they're there for... to Help!

HSC
Anti-Mathmite said:
When i read the notes from the marking center for the chemistry exam, (i don't even do chemisty lol) it said that 3/4 of people answered a question wrongly because in a text it had wrong information and that the board would not be leniant because people should always cross check information. A bit unfair.
I heard about that from my chemistry teachers, the thing is, it was a 'Use available evidence to gather and present data from secondary sources' sort of question, so thus all it did show was people didnt do the plural of "sources"

gorgo31

HSC
I called up for EE1 to ask about values in Crime Fiction; lady was really nice and clarified a lot of stuff for me in 10-15 mins or so. Am feeling more confident about that.

Also tried History Extension, but had a Modern History teacher with a syllabus in front of her. She said she'd taught JFK, but I desperately need help with my pathetically unpopular case study of British Colonisation of Australia. Might try again tonight.

All in all I think it's a great service. I've heard the majority of teachers are or have marked the subject before too, which is really helpful.

harvestcows

HSC
do you need to give them your student number to ask a question ?

HSC
Apparently, it says also a summary of your question, what if you have more than one?

sunjet

Hip-Hop Saved My Life
HSC
dont worry, i asked one then changed topic after he asnwered..

physician

Some things never change.
HSC
sikeveo said:
i waited 10mins. Not bad.

dont tell me u called for physics....

cause when i was on he had 3 ppl on hold....I had only been speaking for 5 minutes

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)