• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

The meaning of multiculturalism and its limits (1 Viewer)

miaomiao

HSC
N/A
All I'm getting is blah blah blah blah blah....
Please guys get off you computers and do something about it. Stop the rhetoric and start an anti- muslim pro white movement to re introduce some kind of 21st century white Australia policy if you feel so strongly about it (which shouldn't be too difficult in the current political climate) or shut up. Our generation's fucked anyway. Racists abound.

Sarah

HSC
N/A
Asquithian said:
Dont trust. Dont want to get to know them. Have no interest. Numerous reasons. Safer in their own groups. Certainly the atmosphere currently created in Australia doesn't encourage asian people to try and mix. If they can get by without then many percieve it to be easier and safer. Then again there isn't much chance to get to know White Australia, say, if you were at unsw or usyd commerce. The number of asian background (Australian born or otherwise) outnumbers White Australia.

Most things can be solved by communication. You will find that most (MOST) asian people are just like most (MOST) white people. Friendly, shy, scared, proud...whatever.

People seem less scary once you get to know them. OF course superficialities and other issues, such as time, interest effort, stop communication.
I agree with you there and those were the points I was trying to get at instead of explaining the situation based on trust, warinessand viewing Asians as dangerous.

Learning should go both ways, the onus shouldn't always be on non-white Australia to be the active party when it comes to learning about other cultures.

tag.twix

HSC
Sarah said:
I agree with you there and those were the points I was trying to get at instead of explaining the situation based on trust, warinessand viewing Asians as dangerous.

Learning should go both ways, the onus shouldn't always be on non-white Australia to be the active party when it comes to learning about other cultures.
can i quote you in my work ?

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
Generator said:
I heard about this piece on the radio this morning, and I thought that given other recent threads (and one that was deleted for some reason, I believe), this opinion piece would spark a bit of a debate (in all likelihood a contentious debate, I know). So, here it is -

Any thoughts? What is it that you consider multiculturalism to be? In a liberal democratic society, what should be considered a reasonable limit wth respect to tolerance (if not acceptance)? Etc.
read Mary McAleese's speech on the topic of free speech.

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
Asquithian said:
Dont trust. Dont want to get to know them. Have no interest. Numerous reasons. Safer in their own groups. Certainly the atmosphere currently created in Australia doesn't encourage asian people to try and mix. If they can get by without then many percieve it to be easier and safer. Then again there isn't much chance to get to know White Australia, say, if you were at unsw or usyd commerce. The number of asian background (Australian born or otherwise) outnumbers White Australia.

Most things can be solved by communication. You will find that most (MOST) asian people are just like most (MOST) white people. Friendly, shy, scared, proud...whatever.

People seem less scary once you get to know them. OF course superficialities and other issues, such as time, interest effort, stop communication.

...and then there is always the racist who cannot look past a persons colour. Who feels the need to boost his or her ego but making negative racial distinctions because they are lacking in confidence or ego.

It isn't much different from a person who goes to usyd (usyd can be the white person for example) and bags out uws constantly (the asian person). The usyd person obviously has an ego or confidence problem. They have nothing else to be proud of personally so they stand on the 'coat tails' of their university (their race) in order to be proud of something.

They distinguish for the sake of making themselves feel better. They distinguish on the basis of group triats rather than individual triats. WHY? because they are weak individually and feel the need to boost confidence in a group. They lack independence and an ability to think for themselves.

The porson who is confident and self assured has no reason or need to boost his or her ego by bagging out a group.
Oh Asqy we're delving into the loftly realms of psychology here. Yes, I definitely know what you mean. It's only natural to band with those with similar physical and cultural characteristics. Most (some? don't hold me to it, I'm just being general) of the Asians at USYD etc are internationals who may not come from an English speaking environment. Everything is just very foreign and strange to them, and spotting a familiar face - anything that reminds them of home - is reassuring. And there are some Aussie ways of living and thinking that they cannot perhaps fully accept.

Asquithian said:
You cant exactly tell people to be 'less driven' or to not try as hard.

Certainly pushing really young kids at such a young age is unhealthy (in our view). Something I'd never recommend.

However many asian parents see education as success. They often have a very narrow perspective on what is success.

I'd never do that to my own children. You have to push the child by making them aware of how important education is. You cannot force anyone to do something. It is up to the individual. Otherwise we get a whole generation of lawyers and doctors who chose those careers to fulfill the dreams and expectations of their parents.

The difference is that many asian parents expect their children to do well. My parents were of the 'education is very important. However it's up to you'...

It's all about self worth. Not about impressing the folks.
I agree with you on that, kids should be allowed to be kids...however...you can understand why they think like that. Especially if the parents themselves never got to pursue the education they wanted...obviously the hope is on the children. They want the best lives for their kids (and the bragging rights are good too) and they equate education with good life. That's just the way they think and there is no bloody way you can tell them not to think like that.

My parents are unusual, they don't give a shit except my mum sort of does. They're like, do the best you can, but if you muck up that's alright....and they've never told me which degree to apply for. I myself want to do law/acturial, and I'm the one pushing myself. So...yeah, it's good in a way because there is no parental pressure but I think sometimes when you're the one wanting it, and nobody around you is not particularly motivated to get a high mark it's more difficult than say being in a selective high school where everyone wants to do med or law. I've also heard the argument that Asians are monopolising those two professions and that's wrong, but I think that's bullshit because they've obviously worked for it.

Asquithian said:
Not really. Australia is an inherently racist nation. White Australia doesnt hate them. White Australia is wary of them. Doesn't trust them. People alive today were alive when White Australia was enforced. People still fear the 'yellow peril'. Asian is going to 'fall on us'. White Australia keeps moving to QLD and Tassie because of the 'Asian ghettos'...

You don't have to dig very deep to find animosity amoung a great part of white Australia towards anyone who doesn't conform.

Language barriers (when they exist. I mean asian law students are hardly illiterate) sometimes can be exaggerated.
hmm I don't think it's hate, specifically. More just...an inability to understand some of the cultural disparities - and I have experienced this first hand, some really close friends of mine who are white...but you try to explain a situation to them...and they just don't get it. And yes racism is present, ever present, and noticeable particularly in rural areas. I'm sorry, that's just the truth, sorry to disappoint you all.

Yeppers, a lot of the Asians know English better than native speakers. :) Of course there are the recent migrants...and you can't blame them, I mean I doubt I could find an Aussie able to communicate in the same standard of Chinese/Thai or whatever in a similar situation. They're doing the best they can, some of them anyway. And I'm talking about grammar and things like that as well. ESL in other countries is taught amazingly...with amazing intensity, I should say. Some Australians speak atrocious English. It sounds like a bandicoot howling crossed with...*ahem.

Oh, long post, must go now.

Last edited:

tag.twix

HSC
cherryblossom said:
Oh Asqy we're delving into the loftly realms of psychology here. Yes, I definitely know what you mean. It's only natural to band with those with similar physical and cultural characteristics. Most (some? don't hold me to it, I'm just being general) of the Asians at USYD etc are internationals who may not come from an English speaking environment. Everything is just very foreign and strange to them, and spotting a familiar face - anything that reminds them of home - is reassuring. And there are some Aussie ways of living and thinking that they cannot perhaps fully accept.

I agree with you on that, kids should be allowed to be kids...however...you can understand why they think like that. Especially if the parents themselves never got to pursue the education they wanted...obviously the hope is on the children. They want the best lives for their kids (and the bragging rights are good too) and they equate education with good life. That's just the way they think and there is no bloody way you can tell them not to think like that.

My parents are unusual, they don't give a shit except my mum sort of does. They're like, do the best you can, but if you muck up that's alright....and they've never told me which degree to apply for. I myself want to do law/acturial, and I'm the one pushing myself. So...yeah, it's good in a way because there is no parental pressure but I think sometimes when you're the one wanting it, and nobody around you is not particularly motivated to get a high mark it's more difficult than say being in a selective high school where everyone wants to do med or law. I've also heard the argument that Asians are monopolising those two professions and that's wrong, but I think that's bullshit because they've obviously worked for it.

hmm I don't think it's hate, specifically. More just...an inability to understand some of the cultural disparities - and I have experienced this first hand, some really close friends of mine who are white...but you try to explain a situation to them...and they just don't get it. And yes racism is present, ever present, and noticeable particularly in rural areas. I'm sorry, that's just the truth, sorry to disappoint you all.

Yeppers, a lot of the Asians know English better than native speakers. :) Of course there are the recent migrants...and you can't blame them, I mean I doubt I could find an Aussie able to communicate in the same standard of Chinese/Thai or whatever in a similar situation. They're doing the best they can, some of them anyway. And I'm talking about grammar and things like that as well. ESL in other countries is taught amazingly...with amazing intensity, I should say. Some Australians speak atrocious English. It sounds like a bandicoot howling crossed with...*ahem.

Oh, long post, must go now.
can i quote YOU in my work ???

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Umm yes you could, you'd have to ask your teacher about the referencing id guess something like:

Author: (Whatevere CBs real name happens to be), Alias: (Cherry Blossom), in thread : (The meaning of multiculturalism and its limits) began by Orinator: (Asqys real name) Alias (Asquithan), Site name: (Bored of Studies: News Current Affairs and Politics), URL: (http://www.boredofstudies.org/community/showthread.php?t=78172&page=2), Time last edited: (1:40am, 25/7/05), Time accessed: (1:45am 25/7/05), post number: (60).

Gah referencing is a pain in the arse.

Pursuant to issue it would seem that NCAP could indeed be transformed into a journal and people charged through the nose to access it, a move that would reduce funding strain on admins.

HSC
Asquithian said:
Well SOME of the suff that is written in this forum is quite good. The Collective might of this forum is quite high, with some expceptions.

I'm not sure where I read that 'coat tails' theory. I think it was on another forum somewhere.

w
I know it's trivial, but comedic timing ahoy :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)