The movie review thread (1 Viewer)

ezzy85

hmm...yeah.....
HSC
N/A
thats my goal after the hsc. get a divx player, watch all my movies and make sure ive gone through imdb's top 50.

HSC
Originally posted by ezzy85
thats my goal after the hsc. get a divx player, watch all my movies and make sure ive gone through imdb's top 50.
yeah, thats a good idea actually...

hrmm... I think I've watched about half of them.... still got some catching up to do...

I was thinking about doing the same with the AFI list, but alot of the stuff is there more cos of its influence than its entertainment value...

s2ophie

HSC
haha that was my plan too but i want to do the best oscar list. and some others

i worked out i have been to the movies 20 times this year. I think the HSC has certainly slowed me down!

HSC
Originally posted by s2ophie
haha that was my plan too but i want to do the best oscar list. and some others

i worked out i have been to the movies 20 times this year. I think the HSC has certainly slowed me down!
as in the best film oscar winners?

hrmm... the oscars aren't very accurate imo... for some reason they have a habit of not giving the oscar to the most deserving film... I mean Forrest Gump got the 94 oscar, even though The Shawshank Redemption and Pulp Fiction were nominated... Citizen Kane didn't get an oscar, Wizard of Oz didn't either... and for some reason A Beautiful Mind got it the year before last....

I mean, usually they aren't bad choices... just that theres heaps better stuff....

s2ophie

HSC
oh i know that the oscars aren't a very accurate choice but it would be good for some variety. I mean you couldn't just watch 50 good movies, you need some not so good!

piccaninny

invisible
HSC
Originally posted by mercurydrinker
yeah, I do...
currently going through this movie obsession, so I watch whatever I can... usually at least one a week...
me too. i'm addicted to films.

ezzy85

hmm...yeah.....
HSC
N/A
just finsihed watching pirates of silicon valley. a good story and great acting. interesting to see how it all started with bill gates and steve jobs.

evenstar

my goal after the hsc is to be a real hardcore cinephile! =)

the oscars are supposed to be a means of determining how watchable a movie is. if they give oscars to not-so-good movies, the purpose of the oscars is defeated, isnt it?

i believe the two towers was filmed quite well. but in comparison to the fellowship of the ring, it was a bit of a let down. fotr was an epic; it was emotional and completely engaging. its cinematography was brilliant! however, when not watched within a cinema, the effects are dumbed down quite a bit, which is a disappointment. ttt had the action, the story and the effects, but just wasnt as highly engaging as fotr was.

so i give fotr 5 stars and ttt 4 stars =)

HSC
Originally posted by evenstar
my goal after the hsc is to be a real hardcore cinephile! =)

the oscars are supposed to be a means of determining how watchable a movie is. if they give oscars to not-so-good movies, the purpose of the oscars is defeated, isnt it?

i believe the two towers was filmed quite well. but in comparison to the fellowship of the ring, it was a bit of a let down. fotr was an epic; it was emotional and completely engaging. its cinematography was brilliant! however, when not watched within a cinema, the effects are dumbed down quite a bit, which is a disappointment. ttt had the action, the story and the effects, but just wasnt as highly engaging as fotr was.

yeah, I've been trying to be a hardcore cinephile as well :) doing film studies at uni has helped out... if you're doing an arts course or a double degree with arts, I'd recommend doing film as a subject.

but the thing is alot of the time they give it to above average movies, and not the "best" movie of the year... like "A Beautiful Mind" beat Fellowship of the Ring and Memento, I mean honestly wtf? hell, I think Memento didn't even get nominated!

Yeah, I agree with you about TTT and FOTR. TTT is 4 stars and FOTR is 4.5 for me...

ezzy85

hmm...yeah.....
HSC
N/A
dont forget denzel getting the oscar for traing days and the whole "black oscars".

ezzy85

hmm...yeah.....
HSC
N/A
and speaking of memento, chris nolans making the new batman. it looks good, with christopher lloyd as the villain and christian bale as batman.

Loz#1

"03'er"
HSC
Yeah, I agree with you about TTT and FOTR. TTT is 4 stars and FOTR is 4.5 for me...

Originally posted by evenstar
ttt had the action, the story and the effects, but just wasnt as highly engaging as fotr was.
I preferred TTT rather than FoTR, only because FoTR seemed to introduce the characters and begin the story, where as in TTT there's less introductions and more actions. The battle scene at Helm's Deep in TTT was the clincher for me, it rocks my socks.

I saw Pirates last night, Johnny Depp rocks my socks too, as does Orlando...fantastic film, Johnny played Jack Sparrow so well. I give it 4.5 stars.

HSC
Originally posted by ezzy85
and speaking of memento, chris nolans making the new batman. it looks good, with christopher lloyd as the villain and christian bale as batman.
Well, hopefully he revives the serious, after the disaster that was Batman and Robin...

Christopher Lloyd and Christian Bale? thats gonna rule...

HSC
Originally posted by Loz#1
I preferred TTT rather than FoTR, only because FoTR seemed to introduce the characters and begin the story, where as in TTT there's less introductions and more actions. The battle scene at Helm's Deep in TTT was the clincher for me, it rocks my socks.

I saw Pirates last night, Johnny Depp rocks my socks too, as does Orlando...fantastic film, Johnny played Jack Sparrow so well. I give it 4.5 stars.
The sad thing is, for me, TTT could've easily have been better than FOTR, they had Gollum (which is my favourite character in the whole series), the Ents and Helm's Deep. But they screwed up in things such as editing, dialogue, coherence, and unnecessary changes from the book. If it weren't for Gollum and the last part of Helm's Deep, I would've only given it 3 stars.

HSC
Originally posted by narrator
both lord of the rings movies are at least an hour too long,
I can understand that.

It's just you have to understand that there was no other way to go, it had to be at least 3 hours to cover all the ground necessary to barely resemble the book....

Have you watched the extended edition of the Fellowship? its 3 1/2 hours long... and from what I've heard the extended edition to Two Towers will be 3 3/4 long and the theatrical release of Return of the King with be 3 1/2 hours long!

I agree with you on Matrix Reloaded though... it does seem like its one set piece after another...

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
BAD BOYS 2. Usual black humour, violence etc. Its ok. i'd give it 7/10

HSC
Originally posted by Funky_Junky
Lizzie Mcguire the movie...bursting with action humour and fun..liked the song at the end...its excellent I give it 9.5/10
I honestly don't know what to say.

s2ophie

HSC
Originally posted by Funky_Junky
Lizzie Mcguire the movie...bursting with action humour and fun..liked the song at the end...its excellent I give it 9.5/10
I honestly don't know what to say.
ok... i saw it but i wouldn't see it was fantastic! it was ok and my randma enjoyed it when she went with me... However i have to defend myself in going to see it because it was a rainy day and i didn't actually know what it was about.

Also the apparently italian dude made one of the most obvious grammatical mistakes and called Lizzie a boy!

Huss

HSC
N/A
Road To perdition is a really good movie...i no im abit late since it has been out for quite some time but i must admit that i was a great movie...good music aswell i give it 9.5/10

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)