the "my score was 10+ points lower than i expected" thread (1 Viewer)

debts

HSC
N/A
just entered my marks into UMAX and it came out with a terrible ATAR of 56, SAM and Einstein returned with similar results. completely has undercut my expectations by 20 or so points. i have absolutely no idea what to do now, uniwise it's at least 27 points away from my course of choice - i did get EAS through USYD, but i don't think it would be much use now.

i'm absolutely clueless on what to do now, but obviously i'll have to wait till tomorrow for a proper result - but i have a terrible sinking feeling about it.

d3vilz

HSC
Uni Grad
was hoping to get like low to mid 80s, but based on my results today - the estimate is mid 70s

loler

HSC
Usually EAS doesn't come into play unless u achieve a minimum ATAR of 60 if i remember correctly. Hope for 60, and if you get it, UTS gives 10 bonus points (others give 5), take ur rank to 70 which gives u a decent shot a some courses. Also, at UWS u can get up to 15 extra marks when u add up EAS, live or attend school in greater western region and also hsc plus or similar scheme.
good luck though.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
just entered my marks into UMAX and it came out with a terrible ATAR of 56, SAM and Einstein returned with similar results. completely has undercut my expectations by 20 or so points. i have absolutely no idea what to do now, uniwise it's at least 27 points away from my course of choice - i did get EAS through USYD, but i don't think it would be much use now.

i'm absolutely clueless on what to do now, but obviously i'll have to wait till tomorrow for a proper result - but i have a terrible sinking feeling about it.
Keep in mind you wont have your official result until tomorrow, however if its not enough you have a few options.

1.Get into another course and transfer after 1 year.
2. Find a related tafe/private college/other course and do that, then apply the next year.
3. Get some related work experience and apply later
4.Apply as a mature aged student

Keep in mind it is a lot easier to get in to uni the following year, they will take much more into account (i.e. other qualifications/work experience).

Best of luck and all is not lost, I know quite a few law students who started off with 70 or so UAI/ATAR and are now in law courses.

debts

HSC
N/A
hopefully it's a 60. marks went 77, 75, 74, 72 and then 50 for maths which dragged me right down.

how wonderfully ironic since i go to a top 10 school, hah.

debts

HSC
N/A
Keep in mind you wont have your official result until tomorrow, however if its not enough you have a few options.

1.Get into another course and transfer after 1 year.
2. Find a related tafe/private college/other course and do that, then apply the next year.
3. Get some related work experience and apply later
4.Apply as a mature aged student

Keep in mind it is a lot easier to get in to uni the following year, they will take much more into account (i.e. other qualifications/work experience).

Best of luck and all is not lost, I know quite a few law students who started off with 70 or so UAI/ATAR and are now in law courses.
thanks for that melsc, i think the private college option might be a good avenue despite the cost - there are quite a few places which offer similar courses to the one i wanted to do in uni (media).

i've thought about repeating one or two subjects for a year, but that is an unattractive option.

TAC

HSC
the cohort did better this year.
Actually, I don't think we'll do better. We may do just as well/worse than last year.
In terms of First in Course and number of State Rankings, we're about the same as last year's cohort.

MooshyMoosh

HSC
I tested out this UMAX thing today, typed in my marks from last year, and it gave me a UAI of 65, ATAR of something a little bit higher than 65 [don't remember what it was], but my actual UAI was 77.05, so there is quite a lot of room for doubt concerning UMAX...

Abbiesaurus

HSC
Even if your atar is below what you need for uni it doesn't mean your not going to get in, although it does lower your chances. I know a girl who last year got like 61 and needed 80 and still got in on second round offers at Newcastle uni. Also another friend was 5 points under and got in on first round offers.

debts

HSC
N/A
I tested out this UMAX thing today, typed in my marks from last year, and it gave me a UAI of 65, ATAR of something a little bit higher than 65 [don't remember what it was], but my actual UAI was 77.05, so there is quite a lot of room for doubt concerning UMAX...
that's good to hear. i think i should save all my worrying till tomorrow morning then.

rowdyroddy

HSC
that makes me feel SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HAPPY

debts

HSC
N/A
so it was 57.30.

you know, i made jokes over people getting this type of score the whole year - but when it happens to yourself, it's so difficult to come to terms with it and why i deserved it. i was hardly the worst in the year, i was last in 1 subject; but i always was decent in my other subjects, never dead last or with the last exam mark in the class; usually i was average or just below average. but whatever. it's my fault anyway.

Last edited:
HSC
so it was 57.30.

you know, i made jokes over people getting this type of score the whole year - but when it happens to yourself, it's so difficult to come to terms with it and why i deserved it. i was hardly the worst in the year, i was last in 1 subject; but i always was decent in my other subjects, never dead last or with the last exam mark in the class; usually i was average or just below average. but whatever. it's my fault anyway.
don't put yourself down there, at least you can still make it to uni :eek: through alternative ways

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)