• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

The Offical Tennis thread (1 Viewer)

Sweets

objective subjectives
HSC
Ok well Ferrero lost, I knew three wins in a row was too much to ask :D

Sharapova def Anna 46 64 75- she is obviously injured thouhgh, she has this straping around her chest. I think the only reason she is playing is because she wants no.1 so much.

Kimmie def Safina 60 75

Sweets

objective subjectives
HSC
Poor Masha. Lindsay is just destined to keep the no.1 rank

Injury setback for Sharapova
August 13, 2005 - 3:10PM

Page Tools
Email to a friend Printer format
Maria Sharapova's ascent to world No.1 is on hold, but only temporarily.

The 2004 Wimbledon champion, vying to become the first Russian woman to capture tennis's top spot, pulled out of the $US585,000 ($760,000) WTA tournament here today with a painful pectoral muscle.

She withdrew just hours before her scheduled quarter-final clash against Daniela Hantuchova, knowing that a victory would have seen her vault past injured American Lindsay Davenport to become world No.1 when the rankings are released on Monday.

"I said if I was going to wake up with any kind of pain and with a feeling that I can't play 100 per cent, then I would have to unfortunately withdraw and that was the case," she said. I didn't find any miracle cream."

But with Davenport nursing an injury, the leggy 18-year-old can still expect to see her name atop the rankings before the US Open, the final Grand Slam of the year, begins on August 29.

Sharapova's injury followed earlier withdrawals of Davenport, Serena Williams, Mary Pierce, Vera Zvonareva, Elena Likhovtseva and Ai Sugiyama from this event.

Advertisement
AdvertisementFans were still able to collect their Maria Sharapova bobblehead dolls - the plastic likenesses of players are popular handouts at US basketball and baseball games - but the Russian they saw on court was third seed Elena Dementieva.

She made short work of Italian Tathiana Garbin 6-1 6-1 to book a semi-final clash with Hantuchova.

Fifth-seeded Belgian Kim Clijsters, herself a former world number one, advanced to the semi-finals with a 6-4 6-2 victory over fourth-seeded Russian Nadia Petrova.

She will face Francesca Schiavone of Italy, who eliminated Spanish veteran Conchita Martinez 7-5 6-4.

Sharapova is on course to become the 15th player and fifth-youngest to reach the coveted throne when the rankings are released on August 22.

"Of course it's a dream come true to be able to win a Grand Slam and be number one in the world," she said. "It definitely puts a smile on your face."

While Sharapova remains entered in next week's WTA tournament in Toronto, she said it was unlikely that she will play there.

But she was unperturbed at the prospect of reaching the top of the rankings while sitting on the sidelines.

"The computer doesn't lie," she said. "You have to achieve something in order to get there. It's been an amazing two years. It's been all hard work and dedication. The achievement is amazing."

Sharapova said she originally suffered a strained right pectoral muscle in Zurich last October, blaming a switch to heavier balls.

Although she pronounced herself healthy prior to this event, the injury flared up in a practice session Monday, prompting her to have an MRI on Wednesday.

She said she played in pain in Thursday's 4-6 6-4 7-5 victory over compatriot Anna Chakveadze.

"It has been an on and off problem for me," said Sharapova, who said the injury interfered with her serve and her powerful forehand. "I don't think the pain is going to go away with me trying to play and hit as hard as I can."

Meanwhile, top men's seed Rafael Nadal dominated Mariano Puerta 6-3, 6-1 today to reach the semi-finals of the $US2.45 million ($3.2 million) ATP Montreal Masters Series tournament.

The 19-year-old Spaniard, who came from a set down against Puerta in the French Open final to claim his first Grand Slam title, rolled to his 14th straight match win.

AFP

sarevok

HSC
I loathe Sharapova, but that article seems to purport that it is inevitable she will attain the number one ranking, whether she plays or not.

And sheesh, Nadal is getting such an easy draw in Montreal. I wish he would take his ugly tennis back to the clay, which is where it belongs.

Sweets

objective subjectives
HSC
I adore Rafael and I think his game is underated in terms of aesthetics. His forehand is wow. I'd rather watch him then Roddick slam down serves all day, thank god he seems to be on his way out of the top 10, talk about one slam wonder :rolleyes:

I used to loathe Maria too but she is totally growing on me, ever since Wimbledon and how she took losing to Venus, it was very admirable.

sarevok

HSC
Sweets said:
I adore Rafael and I think his game is underated in terms of aesthetics. His forehand is wow. I'd rather watch him then Roddick slam down serves all day, thank god he seems to be on his way out of the top 10, talk about one slam wonder
Yeah, I agree about Roddick. He definitely has the ugliest game on tour.
As for Nadal's forehand, I don't see how it's attractive. It's a very whippy, unorthodox, technically-incorrect shot. Though perhaps I'm judging Rafa too harshly having been spoilt by watching Federer's artistry. :D

sarevok

HSC
Agassi v Nadal final in Montreal! Wish I could watch this.

babee_blu_eyez said:
but cmon give roddick some credit here
hmmm no

Sweets

objective subjectives
HSC
Nadal def Agassi 63 46 62

Nadal is most deffinetly the 2nd best player in the world rite now. Great match

Kimmie def Daniela 64 61, winning her 5th title of the season. I wish she wasn't playing Toronto, that will be her 4th tournament in a row, Kim doesn't want to exhaust herself before the US open.

sarevok

HSC
Yesss...Roger won his opening match in Cincinnati. Though he looks pretty rusty having come off his long break...

Sweets

objective subjectives
HSC
ugggh Fed played rustily which was unfortunate because I wanted to see his beautiful game. In his post-match interview he said the transition form Wimbledon to Hardcourts was hard. Fed its been 2 months since Wimbledon..welcome to the present :cool:

JCF vs Andy can't wait

sarevok

HSC
Berdych def. Nadal 6-7 6-2 7-6!!!!!!!!!!

This means Fed's number one spot is safe until after the U.S. Open at least. Thank you Berdych! :D

know_it_all

andy is in the semis after beating youhnzy
he played a great game...the commentators were really impressed with his new game (they were surprised)
he won 23/26 comings to the net
really changed his game :rolleyes:

Atticus.

how do i get out of this
HSC
my sister is now something like 65 in australia now
for under 18's
she is 13

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Sweets said:
Masha is no.1, gosh the only no.1 less deserving would probably be Amelie
The only reason she got the no. 1 position was Lindsay being injured and her points "expired" and allow Sharapova to take the no. 1... It's not like Sharapova just won a big tournament to take out the no. 1 trophy. blah...

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Hope Lindsay wins New Heaven to kick Sharapova back to the second position! :D:D
LOL! "
hey look at me! I'm Sharapova, world's number 1 for ONE WHOLE WEEK!"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)