The Official 2006 FIFA World Cup thread. (5 Viewers)

Komit

Byahhhhhhhhhh
HSC
I'm sick of this "traitor" shit. Sure the players went through the Australian system but it was this system that allowed them to defect. Robbie Slater called these players "dickheads" whereas the real dickheads were the people at the AIS and top Australian football management at the time that dismissed these talents. This is still happening today and should be addressed by the FFA instead if just badmouthing the players after the deed has been done.

Generator

HSC
N/A
I agree, the situation is largely one created by the administration (one that's no longer with us, thankfully), but I'm not talking about all of the players, rather I'm just talking about Simunic - as far as I know, he refused a number of offers to play for Australia at the junior level despite being supported as an AIS player. I don't have any problem with those who are offered a chance to play for another country before they play for Australia or those who are open in their intentions from the word go, but it's a bit of a slap in the face to go through the AIS system and then spurn all offers to play for the country.

The above is all dependent on Simunic refusing offers to play for Australia, of course.

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
Panda Bear said:
technically, Sumic not being shown the red card didn't need to go off.

no, I'm not taking his side at all, but I think that went through his mind at the time.
Poor form of him to stay on though.

The big questions now are:

Who's refereeing Australia v Italy? and
Who does FIFA want to go through?

Last edited:

Led-Zep

Virtuoso
HSC
In all fairness to simunic, you can choose who you want to play for regardless of where you where brought up and/or coached. I understand the whole slap in face but its the players decision.

Overall the match performance can be rated by two halves. 1st half, Australia played like a "Hiddink" team, contol of ball, passing and not panicing. 2nd half we played like a pre-hiddink team "Farinaish" style of long balls, poor defensive errors and scrapy play. But in the end the result did us justice.

Graham poll was horrible, yet i have to say the best ref we have had in the world cup so far, eg Brazil and Japan games. Though we definitely shouldve had 2 penalties and that triple yellow card, what a jack ass poll...

Overall, im incredibly happy and proud, i had a feeling we would score the 2nd, bloody time for kewell to do something instead of falling down or injuring himself! Bring on Italy!

HSC
otay said:
Lucas Neill is the fucking most awesome person ever. I am so glad he's Australian, his spirit let alone talent is incredible. You fucking beauty. WOooooohooooo
oh fuck, i know .. i'm not just saying this because i'm biased towards him being seriously effing attractive, but seriously, lucas neill is the backbone of the socceroos at the moment. even the commentator said it last night. he is fucking awesome.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Kalak = retard. I mean, even that take from the corner. I have a theory that he must have been paid off by the croats. I mean, seriously, he reminded me of that keeper we had in goals for our 14Es side at Sydney High, i.e. retarded. I don't think he wouldve even made that squad based on how we played.
The Aussie defense was far greater than Kalac in goals, and they didnt have to use their hands.

Furthermore, my stepdad is the worst person to watch the soccer with ever:
Commentator: "Australia still is in it with a chance (20 mins to go)"
Stepdad (heavy German accent): "What is he making a joke. It is impossible. We lose"
Me: "ummm we were down 1-0 against Japan, with 10 mins to go"
Him: "noooo that was a fluke"
Me: "how is three goals a fluke?"
Him: "No, trust me. I know soccer. THat was fluke. It will be impossible".

And his overexaggeration of events:
Croatian player slightly backs into the Aussie at the corner post. "That should be red card. why it not foul. I know football. this is red card offense"

And his double-standards:
Him: Croatia is such a physical team, but Australia play with skill. We can win against croatia because they just use power, while we score with skill.
20 mins later
Him: Australia is so physical in all their games. WHy they be so physical? They need to play like croatia, as a team, not like individuals.
20 mins later
Him: Croatia does not play as a team at all. They play single. No talking to each other.

Grrr so frustrating.

ITALY 0 - Australia 23.
easy.

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
Scott Chipperfield also deserves a mention, he's a workhorse in both attack and defense and has a good cross as well.

*Minka*

HSC
Talk abou the BEST FUCKING DAY of my entire LIFE.

Oh my fucking God, still on a complete high - been out for hours, still smiling, can't believe I was there, can't believe it all. OH MY GOD.

Yes, to those who said I would, I cried. I cired the haapiest tears of my life and thsoe last ten minutes were spend with my having my head buried in my fathers shoulder because I almost couldn't watch. Unbelievable.

For the first time in my life, I feel like I am a "real" Australian. Its beautiful.

Did you hear that Anthem? All the Aussies in the Crowed belted it out. I sang the Croatian national athem. Queitly. Hnads by my sides. I then belted out that Aussie one, right hand over may heart, left hand holding a scarf aloft with Zlatan.

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
Pity bout Emerton. That ref's going to have a talking too.
Aussie Aussie Aussie :)

Bring on teh Italia

*Minka*

HSC
robbie1 said:
Im telling you now that Croatia will win. Minka will have a cry then come here and have a bitch and the rest of you will probably do the same.
Do you want some cream on your humble pie?

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
stazi said:
Furthermore, my stepdad is the worst person to watch the soccer with ever
My dad is the exact same. Over exaggerates every little thing that goes against the team he's supporting. However something quite weird happened today, he normally does not like Australia, but he really got into the spirit today and was actually continually swearing at the way the croatians were playing and also at the ref. Now comes the predicament, i'm both Italian and Australian citizen, and i really wanted to avoid this game. The winner of the game will have a decent quarter final though, most likely against Ukraine, Korea or Switzerland - definitely teams that Australia can beat.

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
robbie1 said:
Do you want some cream on your face?
yeah but, your the one that was wrong...

Or have I been beaten to it? You sleeping around with randoms there in Germany?
christ, who would have a problem with that?
edit: nice edit

Last edited:

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
Our problem lies with the defense now. I know we're doing our best and yesterday was Kalac's fault but we're conceding too many around the box, and getting slammed by it. We haven't had a clean sheet yet and Italy have a very strong defensive unit, so our attack may struggle against them.

We'll win though of course

EDIT: I know I'm getting ahead of myself here, but if we win against Italy we get a 'comfortable' game against most likely Ukraine or France (Switzerland or South Korea are also strong possibilities).

Last edited:

bubz :D

the last laugh
HSC
hahah stas, my daddy is like that too - even i know more about soccer than he does :p

minka!! i thought of you when i saw all the aussies in the stadium going wild!!!!!

breaking

paint huffing moron
HSC
stazi said:
Furthermore, my stepdad is the worst person to watch the soccer with ever:
Commentator: "Australia still is in it with a chance (20 mins to go)"
Stepdad (heavy German accent): "What is he making a joke. It is impossible. We lose"
Me: "ummm we were down 1-0 against Japan, with 10 mins to go"
Him: "noooo that was a fluke"
Me: "how is three goals a fluke?"
Him: "No, trust me. I know soccer. THat was fluke. It will be impossible".

And his overexaggeration of events:
Croatian player slightly backs into the Aussie at the corner post. "That should be red card. why it not foul. I know football. this is red card offense"

And his double-standards:
Him: Croatia is such a physical team, but Australia play with skill. We can win against croatia because they just use power, while we score with skill.
20 mins later
Him: Australia is so physical in all their games. WHy they be so physical? They need to play like croatia, as a team, not like individuals.
20 mins later
Him: Croatia does not play as a team at all. They play single. No talking to each other..
bwahahahaha

stazi

Nightman
HSC
copious said:
Scott Chipperfield also deserves a mention, he's a workhorse in both attack and defense and has a good cross as well.
i thought he was crap. yes, he's a workhorse, but his crossing was horrid. he kept crossing low, allowing the croats to neutralise 80% of his crosses.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
ohhhh and the best thing about the game: the croatian coach. i really want a dvd just with the stuff he did: pelvic thrusting, etc. it was orsum :eek:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)