The Official Australian Open Thread! (1 Viewer)

firehose

HSC
Aww noo Serena wins her first title in a little while, i only hope this doesn't turn into another Williams phase because watching the Williams sisters winning everything at one time wasn't fun.... much rather see da Russians win..

As for tomorrow, Safin is sooooo gonna put Hewitt in his place!!!!! or at least i hope so

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
Please let Safin place Hewitt's two feet back on the ground...

Seraph

Now You've done it.......
HSC
N/A
lol Williams was injuired and still beat Davenport

ouch

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
Davenport played doubles yesterday and also has had her fair share of injuries...

Annegelic

Taper jean girl
HSC
If there had to be a player to beat hewitt, I'd want it to be safin. if it was federer.. I'd cry.

em_516

bludging..
HSC
Annegelic said:
If there had to be a player to beat hewitt, I'd want it to be safin. if it was federer.. I'd cry.
nah..i don't care who beats hewitt..as long as he is beaten..such an ego problem..

i really want safin to win..he's hot as............and an awesome player :p..loved his game against federer..so awesome :D

dougthelegend

HSC
Annegelic said:
screw you people who think hewitt's unsportsmanlike... pffft. whatta load of bs. his attitude is hardly different to any other player on the court... just cos he goes "C'MONNN !!" ? omg WHOAaa watch out that's NOT SPORTSMANLIKE ! a player before actually spat on hewitt cos he was pissed he was losing, and although this guy is freakin' hot, safin got fined for smashing his racket to bits. fuck me if i'm wrong, but that's what i call "unsportsmanlike".

Maria of course. serena's masculine.

the hewitt vs safin final -- great.... i dunno who i want to win more. hewitt cos he's aussie and a kick ass player who totally deserves to be #1 again. or safin cos he's bloody hot.. and also a very good player ^.^
Couldn't agree more with the Hewitt unsportsman like argument you put forward. To me, if you draw parallels with other accepted practices in other sports - Hewitt is practically an angel. Things like:
- Sledging in Cricket: Personal attacks and mental mind games are practically an accepted practice in cricket.
- Standing over a player in rugby league when you've made a good hit or taunting them when you score a try.
- Taunting a player after you kick a goal on him in AFL.

Its an accepted practice - just because it gets on a players nerve doesnt mean its wrong. Like it or lump it its here to stay. Players of that level shouldnt be affected by something as minor as that. A really bad line call - i can understand how that will un nerve someone - but a player firing himself up to perform better - pfft, if that affects them they are weak!

Annegelic

Taper jean girl
HSC
thanks doug, and that's true, too. Also, the media have blown Hewitt's "c'mons" way out of proportion.. making it out to be his way of taunting the other players, a sign of disrespect, etc, which everyone is believing. But it's really just for himself, to fire up his game. Anyway, people can think what they like.

IamaFloorMat

HSC
N/A
max said:
Davenport was injured and also sick.

well Williams looked even more screwed after that injuiry she sustained and she was like what 4 games down or something in the first set??

Also id like to add the line decisions in this whole Australian open have really sucked

IamaFloorMat

HSC
N/A
dougthelegend said:
Couldn't agree more with the Hewitt unsportsman like argument you put forward. To me, if you draw parallels with other accepted practices in other sports - Hewitt is practically an angel. Things like:
- Sledging in Cricket: Personal attacks and mental mind games are practically an accepted practice in cricket.
- Standing over a player in rugby league when you've made a good hit or taunting them when you score a try.
- Taunting a player after you kick a goal on him in AFL.

Its an accepted practice - just because it gets on a players nerve doesnt mean its wrong. Like it or lump it its here to stay. Players of that level shouldnt be affected by something as minor as that. A really bad line call - i can understand how that will un nerve someone - but a player firing himself up to perform better - pfft, if that affects them they are weak!

to be honest sledging really isnt encouraged in cricket. It happens, but for some reason we seem to think its an integral part of the team, and btw I dont even think sledging happens as much as it used to.
I remember what happened to Mcgrath trying to sledge Sarwan and Mcgrath got hammered.

dougthelegend

HSC
IamaFloorMat said:
to be honest sledging really isnt encouraged in cricket. It happens, but for some reason we seem to think its an integral part of the team, and btw I dont even think sledging happens as much as it used to.
I remember what happened to Mcgrath trying to sledge Sarwan and Mcgrath got hammered.
I tend to disagree - Sledging is part of the game. You cant deny it - cricket is becoming more and more psychological - particularly with the success of the Australians, no doubt other teams try to gain an advantage through sledging.

dougthelegend

HSC
illmatic said:
safin will CRUSH hewitt. mark my words
that would depend on what Safin turns up - switched on Safin will make a FANTASTIC match..."i dont want to be here" Safin turns up and Hewitt will slap him from here to japan.

Personally, i think that this match will be a fantastic match, both players have spent 15hrs+ on court over the two weeks, and both are in fantastic form...C'MON HEWITT!!!

Mejc

CSAK AZ ETO
HSC
Annegelic said:
thanks doug, and that's true, too. Also, the media have blown Hewitt's "c'mons" way out of proportion.. making it out to be his way of taunting the other players, a sign of disrespect, etc
Hewitt's C'MON as OK IMO until he does it when another player makes and unforced player then its very much not in the spirit of the game but i doubt he'll every change it so i guess everyone will have to deal with it and get over it

illmatic

NaS
HSC
max said:
Why's that?

cos i say so

Safin beat Sampras, a legend in tennis, in the US open final. Sampras had legendary status, dozens of grand slam titles and had the crowd behind him - but safin still won.

if safin keeps his composure like he did for that match then safin will obliterate hewitt

Annegelic

Taper jean girl
HSC
just wanna post bits of an article from today's sunday telegraph.. couldn't have said it better myself.

Three-time Wimbledon champion John Newcombe has slammed critics of Lleyton Hewitt's high-volume approach to tennis, saying: "It is not a game for sissies out there".

Hewitt has come under fire in the past fortnight, with his combative style getting under the skin of rival players as the world No3 has fought and scratched his way into his first Australian Open final where he will face volatile Russian Marat Safin tonight.

There will be no toning it down in the final against the highly strung Safin, who has shown a propensity to unravel throughout his career.

Newcombe stood firmly in Hewitt's corner yesterday.

"When Lleyton goes on court it's like going to war." Newcombe said.

"It's not a place for sissies out there. You back off and you're going to get your head taken off. What Lleyton does is not that bad or unfair".

Newcombe also launched a blistering attack on Hewitt's critics.

"I think it is un-Australian the way Lleyton is being criticised." Newcombe said.

"Why would you criticise Lleyton when he leaves his heart and guts on the court?

He has finished end-of-year No1 in two consecutive seasons, won two grand slam titles, won more Davis Cup matches than any other Australian and he is only 23.

I know Lleyton loves nothing better than representing his country."

Hewitt has polarised opinion with his in-your-face antics. His fist-pumping clearly irritated James Blake and he also got under the skin of Juan Ignacio Chela to the point where the Argentine spat in his direction.

David Nalbandian was unimpressed by the antics in their epic five-set quarter-final.

But while Hewitt's swagger drives his opponents to distraction, it also strokes his competitive fires.

Twice in this tournament he has looked beaten - against Spanish teenager Rafael Nadal and Nalbandian - but he rallied the crowd behind him with exhortations of "Come on, Australia".

Hewitt found an ally in Australian Olympic Games sports psychologist, Phil Jauncey, who said the pugnacious baseliner hasn't overstepped the line of bad sportsmanship.

"His 'C'mon' has nothing to do with distracting his opponent," Jauncey said. "He respects every opponent and is not trying to humiliate them."

"He doesn't look at this opponent and looks at his hand. When you hear Hewitt, he's challenging himself to lift to another level. He adds electricity, atmosphere and is good for the game."

IamaFloorMat

HSC
N/A
dougthelegend said:
I tend to disagree - Sledging is part of the game. You cant deny it - cricket is becoming more and more psychological - particularly with the success of the Australians, no doubt other teams try to gain an advantage through sledging.

sorry but i think thats a load of crap, if you think that is why the Australians have success (or at least a factor towards it ) id have to say i disagree :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)