• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

The Official Football Thread 08/09 (1 Viewer)

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
Groucho Marxist said:
you're right about the match the other night LMF! liverpool didn't play particularly well and a few of their goals came down to luck but that was probably one of the worst united performances in recent memory. i wouldn't be too happy if i was a liverpool fan - yes, a win against united is great, but it was not a convincing performance by utd, nor was it champagne football from liverpool. ;)
It doesn't really matter. Losing against Liverpool is worse than losing to any other team in the world, even more than City. It doesn't matter how we lost, it's losing that hurts.

And this is why when O'Shea scored in front of the Kop it was oh so sweet.

seano77

Walk On
HSC
LMF^^ said:
It doesn't really matter. Losing against Liverpool is worse than losing to any other team in the world, even more than City. It doesn't matter how we lost, it's losing that hurts.
Those are the words of a true fan. I respect your passion.

Similarly, for me, it doesn't matter how lucky the goals were or whether we played 'champagne' football or not (I think we played pretty well actually). A win against Utd is awesome, and it makes me smile uncontrollably, thats all that matters.

HSC
i'm not trying to discredit the win - i'm just saying i think it's a bit too early for the "this is our year" again ;)

Aplus

HSC
N/A
Groucho Marxist said:
i'm not trying to discredit the win - i'm just saying i think it's a bit too early for the "this is our year" again ;)
Yeah, but the upside: we're getting the results and not drawing every game like we always did at the start of the season

HSC
Aplus said:
Yeah, but the upside: we're getting the results and not drawing every game like we always did at the start of the season
lol, definitely agree with that.

btw, spurs lost to villa overnight. if they lose one more match that's probably it for juande ramos. i know, no berbatov, but it's pretty shocking considering they spent some big money during the transfer window too. this is how the epl should be. spurs by themselves at the bottom of the table ;)

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
Groucho Marxist said:
It's only September. Everyone can say whatever they want. United fans will say we're gonna win everything, Liverpool fans will say they're gonna win the league (like they have been saying for the past 18 years), and Spurs fans will say they'll make the top 4 (also for the past few years).

Big local derbies are usually dour affairs anyway. It really isn't about playing attractive football, but more about winning. These are what the fans want, but neutrals certainly just want to watch a good game of football. Just like when I watch big league games in other leagues I would like to see a good game rather than some cautious tactical match decided by some silly mistake.

We really need to up our game starting with the game against Villarreal. Even though I'm still confident about the quality of our squad, I'm beginning to worry about our title prospects even at this early stage of the season. We need to show resilience against the big teams, especially at Stamford Bridge. Hopefully with Ronnie back we can really start our charge to the top. Being closer to the bottom of the table than to the top really doesn't sit well with me.

As for passion, I'm just a United die-hard. A loss against Liverpool hurts me more than Australia losing to Italy in the World Cup or the Wallabies losing to the All Blacks. I can't wait for the return game at Old Trafford. Actually I want to draw against Liverpool in every cup competition so we can exact revenge for that loss.

HSC
^ that's a good point, i am a neutral after all

i watched villareal the other day and they certainly impressed me more than united did, but i still think that united will get some sort of result. it shouldn't be too difficult a group for them: they've played two of those teams before and are aware of aalborg. this is also similar to liverpool's situation. arsenal, however, is a difficult story ;)

Aplus

HSC
N/A
LMF^^ said:
It's only September. Everyone can say whatever they want. United fans will say we're gonna win everything, Liverpool fans will say they're gonna win the league (like they have been saying for the past 18 years), and Spurs fans will say they'll make the top 4 (also for the past few years).

Big local derbies are usually dour affairs anyway. It really isn't about playing attractive football, but more about winning. These are what the fans want, but neutrals certainly just want to watch a good game of football. Just like when I watch big league games in other leagues I would like to see a good game rather than some cautious tactical match decided by some silly mistake.

We really need to up our game starting with the game against Villarreal. Even though I'm still confident about the quality of our squad, I'm beginning to worry about our title prospects even at this early stage of the season. We need to show resilience against the big teams, especially at Stamford Bridge. Hopefully with Ronnie back we can really start our charge to the top. Being closer to the bottom of the table than to the top really doesn't sit well with me.

As for passion, I'm just a United die-hard. A loss against Liverpool hurts me more than Australia losing to Italy in the World Cup or the Wallabies losing to the All Blacks. I can't wait for the return game at Old Trafford. Actually I want to draw against Liverpool in every cup competition so we can exact revenge for that loss.
Your passion is admirable. A true fan. We need more people like you in this country for the advancement of the support for the game.

HSC
UEFA Champions League Match Day 1

Group A
Chelsea 4-0 Bordeaux
Roma 1-2 CFR

Group B
Panathinaikos 0-2 Internazionale
Bremen 0-0 Anorthosis

Group C
Basel 1-2 Shakhtar
Barcelona 3-1 Sporting

Group D
PSV 0-3 Atlético
Marseille 1-2 Liverpool

Group E
Man. United 0-0 Villarreal
Celtic 0-0 AaB

Group F
FC Steaua Bucureşti 0-1 Bayern
Lyon 2-2 Fiorentina

Group G
Porto 3-1 Fenerbahçe
Dynamo Kyiv 1-1 Arsenal

Group H
Juventus 1-0 Zenit
Real Madrid 2-0 BATE

Chelsea dominated, showed their potential and depth when they completely ran over Bordeaux after their substitutions.

Do I need to mention Roma? Horrible, extremely embarrassing result for the runner-ups in Serie A to lose to the team who are, statistically, the worst in the competition.

Good result for Inter; Pana, as with other Greek sides are very difficult to play away from home to.

Disappointing result for Werder Bremen, but fully deserved by Anorthosis. They defended fantastically. You can see the Greek influence, they pretty much defended and tried to attack on the counter :p

Shakhtar do the business as expected: nonetheless, it's no good to see Aussie Scott Chipperfield's club lose.

Barcelona bounced back from a couple of disappointing results to put away Sporting; will be disappointed they conceded, though. Xavi was tremendous as usual (captain of my fantasy team :))

Athletico 3-0 against PSV is a surprising result, I thought this would be closer. Bad finishing from PSV, considering the massive amount of shots on goal they made.

Marseille (one of the two clubs I follow) vs Liverpool... what can I say? Gerrard digs Pool out of a hole once again. Disappointed at this result :(
Gerrard was absolutely sublime, that goal was just breathtaking.

I thought Villareal had a better match than United and created better chances (you must admit, that backheel that hit the post was beautiful: it deserved to be a goal). I'm sure Ferguson will be happy with the result though, especially considering he rested a number of players for this match. Although Cristiano Ronaldo did not make the impact that was intended, it's encouraging for United fans and SAF to see him back in action.

Celtic's scoreless draw with Aalborg surprised me. Very disappointing result for Celtic to lose to such a side after 6 straight wins at home in the Champions League. They even missed a penalty. They'll be worrying right about now because they were just held to a draw at home by the weakest side in their group and they play shit away from home. Funny fact, Australian Michael Beauchamp got sent off: the referee mistook him for his fellow central defender. Group E is shaping up to be very interesting though...

Bucharest would be pissed they couldn't grab a point, from what I understand they had some good chances.

Fiorentina were unfortunate, they squandered a 2 goal lead thanks to a couple of dubious decisions and a free kick that shouldn't have been.

Porto really had to win: they couldn't afford losing to Fener with Le Arse and Kyiv to play. They scored some great goals! Dani Guiza also scored from a weird angle for Fener.

Juventus struggled a bit with Zenit. Del Piero had a fantastic game, pretty much won it for them. Well played by Zenit though.

Business as usual for Real Madrid, disappointed we didn't see more goals. They took their foot off the pedal after they went one up. Weren't even trying.

I love streaming + ESPN.

Last edited:

Aplus

HSC
N/A
Liverpool 0-0 Stoke City

Familiar feeling of dropping points in easy games...

kuytbird

HSC
LMF
respect.
I get the same feeling when pool lose. Shits for weeks and weeks until the next round. Everton and Liverpool is similar, but its just not the same. And, if its any conselation, at least Berbatov is doing well in a manc shirt.
moving on but, the only time im gunna say where in with a chance is when its its in stevie gs hands, and anyway, its wayyy to early to start saying whose gunna win it or not
and u cant speak too early, as weve seen today.
Missed the champs league on weds thurs cause of exams :(
Terry back for the United game....I think that he deserved to go, not for rough conduct, but for the pro. foul.. Red was harsh, but thats what was given
Vidic gone, deserved to go, but thats massive for united.
I reckon 2-2.

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
Can't help but to have a dig at Liverpool after their result with Stoke. It follows a familiar trend in recent seasons. :)

Berbatov has only played 1 game for us, and he didn't do shit against Liverpool bar the assist for Tevez. Anyway, hopefully he'll score tonight and get us a much needed victory. Only that will wipe away the pain left in me after last Saturday.

Gael Clichy

HSC
Just saw the highlights of our game with Bolton. That second Arsenal goal was one of the best teams goals you will ever see. Third goal was awesome too, Feo charging straight through the middle with 5 Bolton players desperately trying to catch him was sick.

Bogey side? 5 wins in a row against them says otherwise.

kuytbird

HSC
ahh part of football.
Its karma, itll come back for us or against stoke.

And the graph...well.i cant disagree.
but im sur ethe champo one looks a bit different :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)