The Official Football Thread 2005/2006 (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimmy_B

HSC
the thing holding back australian clubs in the acl is our salary cap. we can't compete with some of the big arab teams ability to attract very good players who havent totally declined.

bJ_Bhoy 87

HSC
Did anyone watch the asian CL final? Both teams looked strong going forward, playing fluent football, and if our teams were competing they wouldnt have made it to that stage. The a-league teams lack consistency more than anything else, and this is mainly due to a lack of depth. The salary cap and player roster will increase in a few years, and our teams will be better than ever. Im still convinced Queensland have got the greatest potential, Brosque is shitting me heaps that he isnt performing as well as he should be.

As for Chinese football, Du Wei looks an OK player, if Gordie was losing matches Im sure he'd give him a chance. Oh well :D

T

timbk2

a-league needs to increase the roster/salary cap... and introduce a reserve league so the fringe players can get a chance. How shit must it be to be in that 20 man roster.. and never get a look for the starting 11 (or bench), and all you do is go to training a few times a week.

bJ_Bhoy 87

HSC
I remember all the fuss when Sydney signed Salazar, and now he doesnt get a look in. What a waste, a reserve league should be a priority.

btw, Wolfgang Wolf took up the job at Kaiserlautern. Why the hell did he leave Wolfsburg, that was a match made in heaven! :)

Last edited:

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
bJ_Bhoy 87 said:
btw, Wolfgang Wolf took up the job at Kaiserlautern. Why the hell did he leave Wolfsburg, that was a match made in heaven! :)
LoL yeah

Chinese playerz in Europe don't get many chancez anyway, wit Sun Jihai bein the best to come out of the country. But even he can only rely on substitue appearancez now.

Btw iz Nakata doin any good in Bolton..? Big Sam wantz to use him to replace Okocha yeah...?

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
Another disappointin night at Old Trafford, but you gotta compliment the way Villareal played, showed great composure and control despite havin fewer possession. They frustrated our attack time and time again and to be fair the 0-0 result seemed like a fair one, even though I don't really like it. Itz goin to be a tight scramble til the end in thiz group.

Good newz though iz that no one won in the other game between Lille and Benfica, which meanz a victory in the last day will be sufficient to qualify. Also good to see Saha come back from injury and he did quite well in addin some extra spark to the United attack. Hopefully he can score a few goalz fo uz in the not too distant future.

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
United are in some serious trouble. The way they've been playing in Europe this year hasn't been reassuring at all, and I think they'll struggle away to Benfica.

Paragon

Pleased to Beat You
Circular Quay .... Patriotism + Football.
HSC
Benny_ said:
United are in some serious trouble. The way they've been playing in Europe this year hasn't been reassuring at all, and I think they'll struggle away to Benfica.
Yeah, 'reassurance' is certainly smthg that doesn't spring to mind when you think of MU in Europe of late, from a club fan's point of view anyway. We haven't lost at Old Trafford since 2001, to Deportivo, but it does seem pointless if all we do is draw blanks and effectively struggle to make the top 2 in a group of 4. With concerns as such, it's no wonder we can't attract the likes of Ballack, something which wouldn't even have been a topic of issue a couple of seasons ago.

Now we're left up in the air until 7th December, the final Phase 1 matchday. Fergie's odds as to keeping his job was improved from 1/7 to 1/2 after recent results. Those odds will count for nothing if we fail to with in Portugal next month, that might well seal his fate.

bJ_Bhoy 87

HSC
The Delle Alpi only had 9000 in it to see them beat Brugge, and I dont think this is the first time they havent had many to see them in UCL action. Didnt they only have 14000 there to see the Bayern match? All the talk was about Chelsea not being able to muster fans for Europe, perhaps its an epidemic across the continent?

Oh, and go Barca! Good to see Henrik score, but I still think he looks better wearing green and white hoops :D

EDIT: anyone see that 7yo australian wonderkid thats trialling with Sam at Bolton? The 2018 WC is looking tops.

Last edited:

RUB!X

Bergkamp 10
HSC
RUB!X's Arsenal Dream Team 2006

Casillas

Lauren Kompany/Toure Campbell Maxwell

Ljunberg/Reyes Yaya Toure/Fabregas Baptista/Gilberto Hleb

Van Persie

Torres/Kuyt Henry

On another note i think Pool will snap up Simao and Joaquin in the summer ...

braad

so dead yeah?
HSC
bJ_Bhoy 87 said:
EDIT: anyone see that 7yo australian wonderkid thats trialling with Sam at Bolton? The 2018 WC is looking tops.
yes...he's pretty good. I wanna sign him for our U19's next season, we need a decent striker

bJ_Bhoy 87

HSC
BJ's Celtic Dream Team for 2006/7

Buffon
Stam
Terry
Nesta
Beckham
Keano (c)
Lampard
Robben
Ronaldinho
Ronaldo
Henry

Well, it is my dream, and it may as well be big :D

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
Benny's Liverpool Dream Team 2006/7 (even my dreams are realistic :p)

Reina
Evra
Carragher
Andrade
Finnan
Gonzalez/Kewell
Gerrard
Alonso
Simao
Kuyt
Cisse

bJ_Bhoy 87

HSC
politik said:
You're missing the best player in the Brasilian league (and said to be the best South American player), Argentine Carlos Tevez.

You'll remember who he is after Germany.

Plays for Corinthians, innit? Record South American transfer or something like that. Lol, dont read too much into the team I put up, it was a rush job. Gordie wont be able to splash out on players like EPL clubs seem to be gearing up for. And why should he? Its the best football Ive seen Celtic play for a long while. So much for the I Hate Gordan chants I was singin at the start of the season

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
Liverpool through with a comfortable draw against Betis. Good stuff, now we don't have to worry about getting anything from Stamford Bridge.

Meanwhile Sheva scores 4 against Fenerbahce. Nice to seem him striking form again.

AcStyle*

Believe in Desire
HSC
Benny_ said:
Liverpool through with a comfortable draw against Betis. Good stuff, now we don't have to worry about getting anything from Stamford Bridge.

Meanwhile Sheva scores 4 against Fenerbahce. Nice to seem him striking form again.
Yep we got the point we needed and we're thru to the next round which is the most important thing. Crouch didnt score again, but came close on a couple of occassions. Its only a matter of time hopefully...

Paragon

Pleased to Beat You
Circular Quay .... Patriotism + Football.
HSC
Anyone catch the modern day nomad, John Carew's goal against Madrid. Nice to see footballers actually going with their instincts, what's more, he nutmegged Roberto Carlos in the process too.

MU & Vodafone have agreed to terminate their sponsorship contract at the end of next season; two years earlier than initially agreed. Plus, failure to beat Benfica and gain next-round qualification next month, could potentially lead to foregone revenue of about A$40million. Ouch. As if we needed more incentive to not not-win.

Last edited:

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
So Sheva and Van Nistelrooy become the only onez to score 4 goalz in a game in European competition. I certainly like to see Ruud score 4 in a fortnightz time.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Remember Prso in Monaco two seasons ago against Depor.

Carew's goal was so cheeky. :D

flyin''s Chelski Dream Team 2006/7
{Cech, Rikky, Terry, Gallas, Maka, Essien, Lamps(c), Duff, Cole/Robben, Guddy, Sheva}

Ilija

Swinger
HSC
I'm interested on people's thoughts on Liverpool's Striker Cisse'. IMO I think he is better than Crouch and he deserves a bigger position at the club. Rather than occasional starter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)