• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

The Official Football Thread 2005/2006 (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paragon

Pleased to Beat You
Circular Quay .... Patriotism + Football.
HSC
You raise a valid point. :uhhuh: I'm still old-school I guess, I prefer goal difference rather than head-to-head personally, not that Sepp checks out these forums. And with Chelsea on +6, and Betis on -3, guess it's a non-event anyway.

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
Goal diff shouldn't come befo head to head recordz. I still think itz quite silly to decide a league title on goal diff, az happened a few seasonz ago when Rangerz beat Celtic wit a single goal diff.

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
Alonso is rested against Chelsea, that could be decisive. Jose has said that he'll be fielding his best XI, so the Reds could have their work cut out.

bJ_Bhoy 87

HSC
LMF^^ said:
Goal diff shouldn't come befo head to head recordz. I still think itz quite silly to decide a league title on goal diff, az happened a few seasonz ago when Rangerz beat Celtic wit a single goal diff.
ARRRRRRRRRRRGGGH!!!!!!!!!!1!!1!!!!!!!11:( Must remember this seasons good times, not that and last years efforts. The pain is still strong.

Rangers could take out the runner-up spot in Group H, but it could come down to whether already-qualified Inter field a second-string outfit. If Rangers fail to win, and the mighty Artmedia win at home v. Porto, the Slovakians would still be playing among the best in Europe. :D

That is got to be one of the biggest injustices if Gers make it into the second round. The last two years have placed Celtic into pools with Lyon and Bayern, and Milan and Barca. This year the Scottish winner is placed with a team that isnt allowed to have home crowds, a team only a fraction of the talent and form it had when it won UEFA cup and UCL, and a team that NZ knights cound grab points off. As much as I hope Artmedia progress, they are tres shite. Inter have brought over a slightly weakened squad. No Figo, Veron, Cordoba, Stankovic, Kily, Cruz or Recoba. However, in the squad is Adriano, Martins, Pizzaro, Zanetti and Solari, which is more than capable than beating a team that hasnt won at home since the 22nd of October.

But on the other hand, if Rangers get through, that means Murray may consider keeping Eck. God I hope he stays :p

Paragon

Pleased to Beat You
HSC
Benny_ said:
Alonso is rested against Chelsea, that could be decisive. Jose has said that he'll be fielding his best XI, so the Reds could have their work cut out.
Yeah, they've got more options now that Hamann is back. Oh, and Chelsea haven't scored against L'pool in their three previous meetings since the two managers took the respective helms. 0-0; 0-0; 0-1. Don't anticipate too many goals tomorrow either.

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
I think you mean in the CL Paragon :p I think they scored a few against us in the league last time we played :(

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
Chelsea Liverpool will be another yawner, I'm mo interested in Milan Schalke, az there are mo at stake in that game. I expect a good match wit Schalke in pretty good form lately.

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
That's what they said about Cryuff's dream team as well. Then they got trashed 4-0 in the final by Milan.. Nevertheless I'm damn happy Liverpool will be avoiding them. Good result for us. Essien's tackle on Hamann needs to be reviewed. The guy definitely needs a few weeks off to put some sense into his head. Or maybe Rafa can just unleash Josemi on him. I bet losing his kneecap would put it all into perspective for him.

Speaking of which, Milan desperately needs some new defenders. It's pretty clear that the likes of Cafu, Stam and Maldini are just not up to it anymore against a pacy attack, as was again demonstrated this morning. Kaka though.. what a champion.

RUB!X

Bergkamp 10
HSC
PSV 2-0 Fenerbahçe (Guus' boys go through)
Milan 3-2 Schalke (kaka', what can i say -- superb, ancient milan defence struggled against schalke attack, lincoln impressed me this ecl season, schalke unlucky imo not to get through ...)
Olympiacos 2-1 Real Madrid (HAHAHAHAHA, even funnier -- Sir Booby Robson linked to job as Luxembergo is goooonski's, Real are through though, just ...)
Lyon 2-1 Rosenborg (Lyon look the goods this year ...)
Betis 0-1 Anderlecht (Kompany scores, he wont be staying there for long)
Chelsea 0-0 Liverpool (Both through)
Artmedia 0-0 Porto (Porto come last in the group)
Rangers 1-1 Internazionale (Rangers are through unbelievable !! But will McLeish see it through??)

nedzelic

HSC
rangers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
para la primera vez en la historia de la liga de campiones (desde 1992, yo pienso), un equipo de escocia estan en el la proxima ronda! Ole!!!!!!!

Hey donde estan los hoops??????????????????????????? todavia en el frio de escocia!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

vamos los 'Gers

nedzelic

HSC
are liverpool and chelsea single handedly ruining the epl and turning it in seria a????
fuck me, another classic encounter this morning......not. i was forced to endure that mess b/c if i watched the milan and shalke game on sbs, they would have siad the rnagers score

fuck that was a bad game, still, H did ok when he came on - not sparkling, but showed about as much mabition as he could within the constarints of the tie

nedzelic

HSC
bJ_Bhoy 87 said:
and a team that NZ knights cound grab points off.

for all those who don't know. the reason celtic arn't in ecl league this year is b/c they were smacked 5-0 by this very team, artemdia bratislava. also, celticm aren't in the uefa cup, but that's a story for another day

Paragon

Pleased to Beat You
HSC
Benny_ said:
I think you mean in the CL Paragon :p I think they scored a few against us in the league last time we played :(
Yes, and hell yes. :eek:

Kaka was sublime for AC, and I guess I do somewhat agree with Fozie in saying that if it weren't for Ronni, Kaka would be the best Attacking MF in the World. Quite liked Pirlo's FK. (Tony Palumbo: "..his FKs are better than his penalties.."Hehe, he's funny because he's blunt).

I really think AC need one of their non-Shevchenko strikers to step up. Gila; Vieri; and 'I can't believe I'm offside again' Inzaghi are all country miles behind at the moment, and Sheva and Kaka seem to be carrying the load upfront. Although ultimately it's difficult to see AC progressing much further in the UCL with their back-four issues. Anyone see Gattuso's antics when the final whistle went, such an overgrown juvenile.

Last edited:

bJ_Bhoy 87

HSC
Hey , just remember that Celtic won the whole shebang before, and I cant recall Rangers doing so... Hehe, Id rather be in Celtics spot than Ecks... Where are the hoops you ask? 17 points ahead :D Oh, congrats to Rangers for only just being better than two of the weakest teams in the comp.

Didnt watch any football this morn, I couldnt be bothered getting up, but if you think Chelsea vs Pool is ruining the league, then I cant imagine how you feel with Chelsea vs Arse, or Chelsea vs anyone else, coz its really their dominance thats killin it, if anything.

bJ_Bhoy 87

HSC
nedzelic said:
for all those who don't know. the reason celtic arn't in ecl league this year is b/c they were smacked 5-0 by this very team, artemdia bratislava. also, celticm aren't in the uefa cup, but that's a story for another day
I dont know what went wrong there, but when you get a new manager, the first match of the season, and sending half of your reserve squad, plus your team is complacent may have something to do with it. But the true ability of Artmedia shone at Celtic Park, when they were beat 4-0, and if it werent for a Maloney miss in the 89th minute, Artmedia wouldnt have been in Group H to prop up Rangers spot. Artmedia were shite away, and something must be very wrong at Porto as well to not score three points in the morning. Anyway, that performance at least snapped Gordie out of his senses and gave us a sizable gap over the OF rival. Enjoy Europe football now, Rangers, there wont be any next year :D

And about Vieri; apparently Roma will have him in a swap plus euros for Cassano. That will relieve Roma of a burden and give Vieri some game time, everyone is winners.

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
nedzelic said:
are liverpool and chelsea single handedly ruining the epl and turning it in seria a????
Poor comment. There have been 19 goals scored in Liverpool's last 7 EPL matches and 17 in Chelsea's last 7. The 0-0 results have been coming from European games, where it's been advantageous for both to play defensively (not so much this morning for Chelsea though). Ironically, the 2 UCL matches involving Italian teams today involved a total of 7 goals.

braad

so dead yeah?
HSC
Benny_ said:
and how did it go?

nedzelic said:
fuck me, another classic encounter this morning......not. i was forced to endure that mess b/c if i watched the milan and shalke game on sbs, they would have siad the rnagers score

fuck that was a bad game, still, H did ok when he came on - not sparkling, but showed about as much mabition as he could within the constarints of the tie
Benny_ said:
Poor comment. There have been 19 goals scored in Liverpool's last 7 EPL matches and 17 in Chelsea's last 7. The 0-0 results have been coming from European games, where it's been advantageous for both to play defensively (not so much this morning for Chelsea though). Ironically, the 2 UCL matches involving Italian teams today involved a total of 7 goals.
hahaha

thats very true, in the EPL these two boring teams atm are ones to watch, due to chelseas stunning form as of recent times and L'pools consistent form. Teams that are ruining EPL? SUnderland, although they are giving 3 points to their opposition like christmas presents

maybe you're just biased :rolleyes:

edit: i missed all games today and all reports and goals (on tv), how sucky is that

nedzelic

HSC
well maybe the chlesea was an unfair call, but the reds! Come on! they always pass it well with xabi spraying 80m beckham like balls all over the park, but it never comes to anything. think about the last tiem you watched liverpool and were gobsmacked at some great moves or a brilliant team goal or whatever. no! the usual things that spring to mind when watching the reds are "geeze gerrad's played better before" "or great tackle by carra" or "fuck crouch should be in the circus". look, do you knows statistically who plays tyhe long ball the most in the prem??? take a wild guess.......
got it yet
it's LIVERPOOL . what do you think is going to happen when you play a 6 7" striker up front every game???
liverpool may well get results, but they'll do it the boring way. chelsea aren't as bad, they're pretty good, but they've hardly been sparkling this season.
if you want to see some good football - look at the arse-holes. now, if you can bring yourself for just a second to forget about results, just use all the power of your brain to just look at a game and view for an entertainment spectacle, not a competiton - then you will see things more clearly. barcelona this year and last, arse from a couple of years ago (and to a lesser extent this year and last at times) that's what teams should play like.

bJ_Bhoy 87

HSC
nedzelic said:
well maybe the chlesea was an unfair call, but the reds! Come on! they always pass it well with xabi spraying 80m beckham like balls all over the park, but it never comes to anything. think about the last tiem you watched liverpool and were gobsmacked at some great moves or a brilliant team goal or whatever. no! the usual things that spring to mind when watching the reds are "geeze gerrad's played better before" "or great tackle by carra" or "fuck crouch should be in the circus". look, do you knows statistically who plays tyhe long ball the most in the prem??? take a wild guess.......
got it yet
it's LIVERPOOL . what do you think is going to happen when you play a 6 7" striker up front every game???
liverpool may well get results, but they'll do it the boring way. chelsea aren't as bad, they're pretty good, but they've hardly been sparkling this season.
if you want to see some good football - look at the arse-holes. now, if you can bring yourself for just a second to forget about results, just use all the power of your brain to just look at a game and view for an entertainment spectacle, not a competiton - then you will see things more clearly. barcelona this year and last, arse from a couple of years ago (and to a lesser extent this year and last at times) that's what teams should play like.
Unfortunately there are not many players capable of the footbal Ronnie plays, so wtf do you expect? Who gives a fuck about the quality of football you play, what matters is the results. Nothings killing the EPL, in fact its starting to get more interesting than it ever has, despite the inevitability of the title. Im a neutral and like entertainment and everything, but not for one second do I believe that entertainment is the first job of the manager. Just ask Arse fans. I am more entertained when my team is winning, thank you. If Barcas defence was leaky to the point of dropping points, yet still had the attacking ability it has now, do you think Rijkaard (or however you spell it) would still have a job there? A team doesnt have to sparkle every week, but if they find the back of the net and defend well to win, thats plenty of entertainment for the fans. Im sure Pool fans were plenty entertained in Istanbul last season.

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
^^ For someone who such contempt for how Liverpool play football, you seem to have spent a lot of time observing them.. or did most of that insight come from the 3 Champions League matches SBS has shown of Liverpool playing Chelsea in the past 7 months, and one article regarding who played the most hoof ball in the lague.. oh lets see.. 3 months ago.

* On Crouch- yes, he's a big striker, a lot of teams have big, strong strikers that hold the ball up and bring others into play. Viduka for Boro, Van Nistelrooy for United, Drogba for Chelsea, Shearer for Newcastle, Mista for Valencia, Vieri when he played at Inter.. the list goes on and on and on. The fact that Crouch is a bit taller than your average striker just lets him do that job that much better. He hasn't scored a lot of goals for Liverpool so far this season, but his holding up the ball has allowed us to play 10-20 yards further up the pitch. Since he's started playing for Liverpool, we've lost something 2 games this season. Bet that skysports article didn't tell you that..

*...but then, why should it? Liverpool were something like 12th in the table with a single win, a big defeat and and a bunch of draws at that stage. We were playing a 4-5-1 system that wasn't working, we scored a total of something like 4 goals in the first 6 or 7 matches.

Sorry if that came off a bit strong, but since Diana's no longer here I feel like someone needs to stand up for Liverpool when bullshit's headed our way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)