The Official Football Thread 2007/08 (1 Viewer)

blakegman

HSC
N/A
Peartie said:
No way - thats a good thing!!! Finally none of the big 4 in a final - im sick of English football because year after year its always the same teams winning!
The problem is the as with this years cup you had 2 teams who by the time the cup came around they weren't in good form and weren't really great teams to begin with. Sure it's nice to have an underdog and a fairytale, but Cardiff V Portsmouth was pretty dull, both clubs can hardlyeven claim to have many supporters.

Leeds V Man Utd or something would be a brilliant fa cup final. Something with some rivalry.

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
blakegman said:
The problem is the as with this years cup you had 2 teams who by the time the cup came around they weren't in good form and weren't really great teams to begin with. Sure it's nice to have an underdog and a fairytale, but Cardiff V Portsmouth was pretty dull, both clubs can hardlyeven claim to have many supporters.

Leeds V Man Utd or something would be a brilliant fa cup final. Something with some rivalry.
What you on about? Both clubs haven't won major trophies since god knows how long, and in Portsmouth's case, 69 years (and I think Cardiff's stretch goes back to the 20s when they won it for the first and only time). Their fans were out in forces to watch the game. This is what the FA Cup is truly about. It ain't about prize money, it's about the Cup itself. In a way I'm glad none of the big teams made it (but I'm still disappointed about the Pompey result, because of the way that game went), because the FA Cup finally went back to the gold old days.

I didn't watch the game myself, as I went out that night. But if it was a dull game, then look back at last years final between United and Chelsea, now that was a disgraceful game.

Leeds vs Man United would be horrible, imagine how the atmosphere would be like. There'll be idiots ruining the occasion for everybody, that's for sure. That's why I didn't want to play Liverpool to make it to Moscow this year, because of the volatility between the supporters.

Peartie

HSC
sure not necessarily having both teams either mid - low premiership or championship but i like it when it isnt the big 4 in the final - 17 years there was one of the big four in the final! about time....the EPL needs teams able to challenge and beat them! Im not saying the A-League is better BUT at least we have various teams that are able to challenge for premiers....in 3 years there have been 3 different Premiers (Adelaide, Melbourne and CCM) and three different champions (Sydney, Melbourne, Newcastle)... and out of the three championship games there have been 5 different teams play....out of a possible 8....so technically there are lots of options available for the championship game - which i think promotes more competition and better games.... if my rambling made sense at all....

blakegman

HSC
N/A
yes but when you have 20 teams, there is always going to be a wider range of talent. With only 8 teams as you see in the A-league it's largely the same players that just go to another team in the league.

A-league needs more teams in time. 8 is too little in the long term.

Aplus

HSC
N/A
Peartie said:
Im not saying the A-League is better BUT at least we have various teams that are able to challenge for premiers....
The A-League is a pretty mediocre and new competition.

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
Peartie said:
Im not saying the A-League is better BUT at least we have various teams that are able to challenge for premiers....in 3 years there have been 3 different Premiers (Adelaide, Melbourne and CCM) and three different champions (Sydney, Melbourne, Newcastle)... and out of the three championship games there have been 5 different teams play....out of a possible 8....so technically there are lots of options available for the championship game - which i think promotes more competition and better games.... if my rambling made sense at all....
But do we want to see better competition or higher quality football? That's the big question. Sydney FC made the finals last season but they were terrible to watch. The only period of good play they had last season was when Culina was still in charge, but unfortunately players got injured and results didn't go his way and off he went. Better competition may be a good thing, but it shouldn't come at the expense of the standard of play. I'm glad Newcastle became champions, it would be terrible if Sydney FC had won it with that type of football they played.

This European season has been great. England and Italy both went down to the last day, and I have to say, the finish to Serie A was just phenomenal. That was the most exciting finish to any league for a long long time. The French league went the distance, and now Scotland will too. Even though the see the same teams up there in all the major leagues, it still creates a lot of excitement. There's no substitute for quality. The A-League will always remain second rate. I just hope that one day the clubs in Australia can rise to the level like the J-League, now that would be exciting to watch.

Peartie

HSC
and yes - 8 teams is too little....im all for relegation...and an increase in the A-League - lets keep our players at home!!!

speaking of Europe - how was the game last night? I didnt get to see it....i turned on the radio report this morning and heard the result.....

Anyone going out tomorrow night to see Matildas and Canada and Soccerroos and Ghana?

blakegman

HSC
N/A
Devestated. Thought chelsea deserved to win. Feel bad for JT, slipping when it mattered after a great game.

sad way to end the year. Can't take it away from Man utd this year, they played well all year.

blakegman

HSC
N/A
Apparantly in Singapore there is huge media attention that Ronaldo now looks likely to head to Real Madrid.

Haven't heard too much of it here though.

Rekisha

HSC
Man Utd Won!!

6-5
Manchester Beat Chelsea In Uefa Cup

SipSip

HSC
N/A
Re: Man Utd Won!!

Woop!!

Won 8 grand along with it as well!!

my heart jumped when ronaldo missed his shot n i thought i'll lose so much money

blakegman

HSC
N/A

It's the Champions League not UEFA cup.

Why did you bet 4 grand on Man Utd ? crazy. Were very close to losing it.

westydylan

HSC

4 grand is that all i bet 15 grand on it and i won so hell ya

blakegman

HSC
N/A

westydylan said:
4 grand is that all i bet 15 grand on it and i won so hell ya
sure. I BET 500 000 MLLION AND NOW I CAN AFFORD TO BUY OUT MAN UTD, HOW COOL!

SipSip

HSC
N/A

blakegman said:
It's the Champions League not UEFA cup.

Why did you bet 4 grand on Man Utd ? crazy. Were very close to losing it.
Didn't bet 4 grand...bet 10k...the odds were 1.8 so got a nice 8k profit...

must say i withdrew everything from my account and never gonna bet again...

you're right...very close...

BackCountrySnow

HSC

SipSip said:
Didn't bet 4 grand...bet 10k...the odds were 1.8 so got a nice 8k profit...

must say i withdrew everything from my account and never gonna bet again...

you're right...very close...
Holy fucking shit.
You must have been shitting your pants when John Terrry was walking up to the shot.

10k....you have a problem..

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A

You ppl have serious problem, bet 10k on a game? Are you guys really high school students? 'kin hell.

And blakegman if you bet 500mil and won then you'd still won't able to buy Man United, prob just enough to pay off all our debt. :p

Anyway, I'm just fucking stoked with the win, first time I've experienced such success in real time, since I got sent back to sleep by parents in 1999. But this is what it's about. How I wish to experience many more nights like this.

blakegman

HSC
N/A

JT. i still love you. But wtf. will go down as an epic choke i reckon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)