The Official French Film/SBS Movie Thread (1 Viewer)

welshi

Clearly unemployed again.
HSC
Hippy La-Laa said:
Ahh.... That makes sense. Cool.

It must be fun for the translators. Coming up with the appropriate translations more suited to the lingo of the society...

Interesting.... :)
i know, it's fun when u can understand the dialogue yourself and get a better translation than the subtitlers did!!! i started watching l'auberge espagnole last night (highly recommended, loving it) and it's not hard french. i actually turned the subt off for a bit and still got most of it.

chepas

HSC
welshi - I like that feeling :D. The feeling of accomplishment and 'Ha! I know what you said!"...

I havne't watched the Ice Cream Chocolate one yet... time is of the essence and I have no essence.

Tonight, Chaos and Desire, 11pm, SBS.

shazzam

acta est fabula
HSC
Alors, je n'ai pas compris du tout ce film-"Chaos..."
C'était assez étrange avec quelques scénes sexuelles un peu graphique...(hmm "franglais"^^)
Néanmoins j'ai regardé seulement le bout. Y-a-t'il personne qui a le regardé aussi? Peux-tu l'expliquer?

Last edited:

chepas

HSC
^^ Oui some people said that it was really weird, those that told me about it... I'm sort of glad I fell asleep as I watched it! All the crazy scenes that had transexuals doing whatever.

Anyone - Next round of films.

MOVIE - MYSTERY - A PRIVATE AFFAIR (AFFAIRE PRIVEE, UNE): Saturday, 2nd October, 9.30pm

Directed by Guillaume Nicloux this crime thriller stars Thierry Lhermitte as Francois Man‚ri, a private investigator who increasingly becomes aware of the meaninglessness of life in his search for a missing girl. Six months have gone by since the disappearance of Rachel Spirien and Man‚ri takes over the case at the request of the missing girl's mother. During his investigation, this shadow of a man who has his own problems dealing with his ex-wife and a lover with a jealous husband will encounter many vivid and intriguing people close to the missing girl. There's Clarisse (Marion Cotillard), Rachel's best friend and with whom Man‚ri becomes involved and also Rachel's boyfriend, step-father and cousins, all of whom complicate and become implicated in Man‚ri's investigation. (In French, English subtitles) (2002) MA (S,L,N) WS
SHOWCASE MOVIE - COMEDY - PURELY BELTER: Sunday, 3rd October, 8.30pm

Gerry (Chris Beattie) and Sewell (Greg McLane) are inseparable friends each of whom have awful home lives - complete with alcoholic, abusive or senile parents - that they try to avoid, so they spend as much time together as they can. Instead of going to school the boys prefer to drift through the streets of Newcastle-on-Tyne, following every news report and game of their favourite football team, Newcastle United. Every chance they get, the boys try to get in to see their team play, but the ultimate would be season tickets which are priced at an impossible œ1000 each. They day-dream, scheme and plot ways to make their dream a reality in between dealing with their own harsh realities, Sewell must look after his senile father and Gerry's violent, alcoholic dad returns regularly to steal money and beat up his mum, forcing the family to escape by moving house frequently. Written and directed by Mark Herman (Little Voice, Brassed Off) and based on a novel by Jonathan Tulloch, this film is a touching and funny slice-of-life in Northern Britain, complete with the unmistakable Geordie accent and slang like the title, which translates roughly as "awesome" or "terrific". (From the UK) (2000) M (S,L,A) CC
MOVIE - COMEDY - I LOVE ALL WOMEN (ICH LIEBE ALLE FRAUEN): Tuesday, 5th October, 1pm

A singer called Jan Morena has a double, which creates many confusing incidents in this light-hearted romp where love eventually finds a way. Morena is played by leading Polish tenor of the time, Jan Kiepura, with Theo Lingen and Lien Deyers. Directed by Carl Lamac. (From Germany, in German and Italian, English subtitles) (1935) B&W G (Rpt)
MOVIE - DRAMA - KELTOUM'S DAUGHTER (BENT KELTOUM): Tuesday, 5th October, 11.25pm

Ralia (Cylia Malki) was born in Morocco but was adopted by a Swiss couple soon after her birth. At the age of twenty she decides to go back to her birthplace and meet her mother, the woman who "abandoned" her as a baby. From the moment she steps off a bus in Morocco's arid desert mountains, Ralia's journey of personal discovery begins and she encounters many members of her family, including, finally, her mother from whom she learns the real story behind her "abandonment". This film poignantly notes the disturbing treatment of women in this region through the eyes of Ralia, showing both the poverty and abuse that female citizens receive. Directed by Mehdi Charef and also stars Baya Belal and Jean-Roger Milo. (In French and Arabic, English subtitles) (2001) M (V,A) WS
MOVIE - COMEDY - SHOOTING STARS (TROIS-ZERO): Monday, 11th October, 11pm

Directed by Fabien Onteniente, this film is a satirical look at the world of professional soccer and explores the seedy side of soccer with its unscrupulous agents, corrupt trainers and greedy sponsors. A talented young Hungarian soccer player, Tibor (Lorant Deutsch) meets a soccer-mad agent-in-training, Manu (Samuel Le Bihan) and Tibor agrees for Manu to become his manager. Manu flies to Rio to meet with a retired former star soccer agent and legend Alain Colonna (Gérard Lanvin) for some tips and both end up returning to France with high hopes for their rising soccer star. While they were away though, Tibor has procured a new agent for himself: the unscrupulous Oscar Marbello (Gérard Darmon), a conniving backstabber responsible for causing trouble for Colonna and ushering in his early retirement. Colonna sees his chance for retribution. (In French, English subtitles)
Ça va, I think, for now... :D

chepas

HSC
^^ Oui some people said that it was really weird, those that told me about it... I'm sort of glad I fell asleep as I watched it! All the crazy scenes that had transexuals doing whatever.

Anyone - Next round of films.

MOVIE - MYSTERY - A PRIVATE AFFAIR (AFFAIRE PRIVEE, UNE): Saturday, 2nd October, 9.30pm

Directed by Guillaume Nicloux this crime thriller stars Thierry Lhermitte as Francois Man‚ri, a private investigator who increasingly becomes aware of the meaninglessness of life in his search for a missing girl. Six months have gone by since the disappearance of Rachel Spirien and Man‚ri takes over the case at the request of the missing girl's mother. During his investigation, this shadow of a man who has his own problems dealing with his ex-wife and a lover with a jealous husband will encounter many vivid and intriguing people close to the missing girl. There's Clarisse (Marion Cotillard), Rachel's best friend and with whom Man‚ri becomes involved and also Rachel's boyfriend, step-father and cousins, all of whom complicate and become implicated in Man‚ri's investigation. (In French, English subtitles) (2002) MA (S,L,N) WS
SHOWCASE MOVIE - COMEDY - PURELY BELTER: Sunday, 3rd October, 8.30pm

Gerry (Chris Beattie) and Sewell (Greg McLane) are inseparable friends each of whom have awful home lives - complete with alcoholic, abusive or senile parents - that they try to avoid, so they spend as much time together as they can. Instead of going to school the boys prefer to drift through the streets of Newcastle-on-Tyne, following every news report and game of their favourite football team, Newcastle United. Every chance they get, the boys try to get in to see their team play, but the ultimate would be season tickets which are priced at an impossible œ1000 each. They day-dream, scheme and plot ways to make their dream a reality in between dealing with their own harsh realities, Sewell must look after his senile father and Gerry's violent, alcoholic dad returns regularly to steal money and beat up his mum, forcing the family to escape by moving house frequently. Written and directed by Mark Herman (Little Voice, Brassed Off) and based on a novel by Jonathan Tulloch, this film is a touching and funny slice-of-life in Northern Britain, complete with the unmistakable Geordie accent and slang like the title, which translates roughly as "awesome" or "terrific". (From the UK) (2000) M (S,L,A) CC
MOVIE - COMEDY - I LOVE ALL WOMEN (ICH LIEBE ALLE FRAUEN): Tuesday, 5th October, 1pm

A singer called Jan Morena has a double, which creates many confusing incidents in this light-hearted romp where love eventually finds a way. Morena is played by leading Polish tenor of the time, Jan Kiepura, with Theo Lingen and Lien Deyers. Directed by Carl Lamac. (From Germany, in German and Italian, English subtitles) (1935) B&W G (Rpt)
MOVIE - DRAMA - KELTOUM'S DAUGHTER (BENT KELTOUM): Tuesday, 5th October, 11.25pm

Ralia (Cylia Malki) was born in Morocco but was adopted by a Swiss couple soon after her birth. At the age of twenty she decides to go back to her birthplace and meet her mother, the woman who "abandoned" her as a baby. From the moment she steps off a bus in Morocco's arid desert mountains, Ralia's journey of personal discovery begins and she encounters many members of her family, including, finally, her mother from whom she learns the real story behind her "abandonment". This film poignantly notes the disturbing treatment of women in this region through the eyes of Ralia, showing both the poverty and abuse that female citizens receive. Directed by Mehdi Charef and also stars Baya Belal and Jean-Roger Milo. (In French and Arabic, English subtitles) (2001) M (V,A) WS
MOVIE - COMEDY - SHOOTING STARS (TROIS-ZERO): Monday, 11th October, 11pm

Directed by Fabien Onteniente, this film is a satirical look at the world of professional soccer and explores the seedy side of soccer with its unscrupulous agents, corrupt trainers and greedy sponsors. A talented young Hungarian soccer player, Tibor (Lorant Deutsch) meets a soccer-mad agent-in-training, Manu (Samuel Le Bihan) and Tibor agrees for Manu to become his manager. Manu flies to Rio to meet with a retired former star soccer agent and legend Alain Colonna (Gérard Lanvin) for some tips and both end up returning to France with high hopes for their rising soccer star. While they were away though, Tibor has procured a new agent for himself: the unscrupulous Oscar Marbello (Gérard Darmon), a conniving backstabber responsible for causing trouble for Colonna and ushering in his early retirement. Colonna sees his chance for retribution. (In French, English subtitles)
Ça va, I think, for now... :D

Hippy La-Laa

Stupid Pixie.
HSC
Ta. At last I will have the time to sit down and watch them! (Hopefully I'll remember they're on this time too)

The first and last ones look interesting....

malkin86

HSC
Does anyone know where SBS has shunted Le Journal off to?
It used to be 9 am Saturday, but now it's changed...

and I can't find the Guide, so if anyone knows, could they please tell me?

chepas

HSC
Le journal's now on 9.20am, just later... they moved it ages ago. (As far as I know it's Mon-Sat at 9.20).

sugaryblue

Living on deficit
HSC
Salut tout le monde!!

Je vous conseille 'Jeux d'Enfants'- Love Me If You Dare en anglais. C'est un film romantique qui est assez genial!! Ca m'a plu beaucoup. :D

chepas

HSC
Grandes Nouvelles!

BIG NEWS!!!

New Theatrical Release of French Film in Australia

Depuis qu'Otar est parti / Since Otar Left

This film is about to have its national release in Australia after having been one of the hit films in the French Film Festival earlier this year. Watch for it in all the usual places. Meanwhile, here's the blurb from the French Film Festival:

Otar, a medical student from the former Soviet republic of Georgia, has fled the bleak, crumbling city of Tbilissi in which he grew up to live in Paris. Left behind are his doting mother Eka (Esther Gorintin) who believes he can do no wrong, his sister Marina (Nino Khomassouridze) and Marina's indomitable daughter, Ada (Dinara Droukarova), who live together in such close quarters that Marina and Ada must share a bed.

Suddenly, an unexpected, shocking message is received - Otar has been killed. But Marina and Ada, rather then shattering Eka's last remnant of happiness, decide to put on a charade. Imitating Otar's handwriting, Ada writes letters that paint an increasingly rosy picture of his life in Paris.

Unfortunately, far from placating Eka, the bogus letters arouse an even deeper hunger for contact with her son. Eka becomes resolute in her conviction that she must see Otar again before she dies. Marina and Ada, are, naturally, aghast...

Since Otar Left is a touching and complex study of women from three generations co-existing uneasily under the same roof; few will be unmoved by this universally applicable tale of love and loss. The film is based on a true story recounted to director Julie Bertuccelli by a friend. After having directed a number of successful documentaries, her intensely beautiful first feature is suffused with indelible humanist values and emotions - the film blew away the grand jury of the Critics' Week section of Cannes in 2003 and was awarded the prize for Best Film. It is one of the most subtly resonant French films in years, and sustains a delicate balance of pathos, humor and a clear-headed realism.

On Saturday 21 February 2004, Julie Bertuccelli was awarded a César for Best First Film.

France, Belgium- 2003- Drama - 102 min - French with English subtitles

Source: French Film Festival Site

Last edited:

chepas

HSC
Latest round of offerings from SBS that I translate into here. Been a bit paresseux lately.

Saturday, 23 October, 09:30 pm: MOVIE - ROMANCE - SEXY BOYS

Seb (Julien Baumgartner), Franck (Jeremie Elkaim) and Manu (Matthias Van Khache) were best friends in high school and now aged 20, they have one major preoccupation in common, sex. Seb is a romantic-at-heart student who can't keep a girlfriend for more than a week, probably because he masturbates chronically. Franck is a computer geek who drinks too much after being unlucky in love and Manu is a laid-back individual trying to escape from pressure from his girlfriend of five years, who is pushing for them to move in together. All three have a lot to learn in the lessons of love and romance and when Seb has to work on a project with a no-nonsense single mother from his class, Lucie (Armelle Deutsch), he is confronted with more than he expects. In genre and theme this film is similar to American Pie and has been described as "crass but endearing" by Variety. Written and directed by St‚phane Kazandjian. (In French, English subtitles) (2001) MA (S,L,A) WS
SHOWCASE MOVIES DOUBLE WHAMMY:

Sunday, 24 October, 08:30 pm: ANIMATION -HARVIE KRUMPET

Winner of more than 12 awards internationally, including an Oscar at the 2004 Academy Awards, this internationally acclaimed animated Australian short film is written, directed and animated by Australian filmmaker Adam Elliot and narrated by Geoffrey Rush. Harvie Krumpet is the hilarious tale of an ordinary man seemingly cursed with perpetual bad luck. Born in a Polish forest and suffering from Tourette's Syndrome, Harvie is marginalised from the rest of the village. At the age of 18 his parents are found frozen to death on their bicycles, just as the Germans invade and Harvie is forced to flee to Australia. Bad luck follows him and his misfortunes seem unending. (From Australia, in English) (2003) PG (Rpt) CC WS

09:00 pm MOVIE - DRAMA - MULLET
Mullet tells the story of a young man who returns to the small country town of his birth to try and unravel the mistakes of his past. Once home, he feels unwelcome, and as old friends family and his ex-girlfriend gather, small miseries and private messes are unearthed. Directed by David Caesar and stars Ben Mendelsohn, Susie Porter and Andrew Gilbert. (From Australia, in English) (2000) MA (L) (Rpt) CC WS
Friday, 29 October, 10:30 pm MOVIE - COMEDY - ACTORS (LES ACTEURS)
Director Bertrand Blier has taken 20 of the best-known French cinema actors and essentially got them to play themselves in a story written by Blier himself. A group of actors meet in a deluxe Paris restaurant. Jean-Pierre Marielle orders a jug of hot water, which never arrives. He loses all faith in his acting ability. In other episodic interludes, Gerard Depardieu has a motorcycle accident on the Champs Elysees, Alain Delon delivers a maudlin monologue about the late Jean Gabin, Jean-Paul Belmondo plays a homeless man who dies of laughter; and Michel Serrault makes digs at French entertainment before and after the advent of television. Blier himself appears at the end of the film conversing with his dead father on the phone. (In French, English subtitles) (2000) M (V,S,A) (Rpt) WS

Last edited:

Kazuya

keio 最高
HSC
Sexy Boys is pretty funny; they were right in likening it to American Pie, that's pretty much what it is..

Hippy La-Laa

Stupid Pixie.
HSC
Cool. It's begins just as "Willy Wonka and The Chocolate Factory" ends on Channel Nine. Yay! Good night to stay home and watch tely. 'Specially considering this crap weather.

chepas

HSC
It's still on somehwere?!??!? Where on this blessed earth is it!!!! I haven't seen it yet and I really wanted to!

omg_a

HSC
mdr, our cinema (in beautiful bowral) gets a great variety of movies...over a great period of time. I have several times seen films which have been out on dvd or months. and dont get me started on fish...

Hippy La-Laa

Stupid Pixie.
HSC
I spent my day watching my new "Wizard Of Oz" DVD with the french soundtrack and subtitles on. It was really interesting! I thought they'd done the voices quite well, everything seemed to be synchronised. I didn't like the way though, they changed the words around, although I suppose it is inevitable when translating. And I suppose I'm so used to the engish version (I know it like the back of my hand, sadly) that it seemed sacreligious to miss out certain phrases.

Still good though. 'Le Magicien d'Oz' tee hee. :D

And I've now been given "Etre et Avoir" on DVD by my teacher, so I can watch that at my leisure too.

chepas

HSC
OK Let's just pray that this cinema in Bowral still has Tais-toi after November 12! Also, what is it called/address lol :D. I might make an excursion and bribe a few people to come with me.

Yay Le magicien d'Oz. I just loved "La mélodie du bonheur". I wish I could find that on French DVD. Also I like Futuram dubbed into French. The guy doing Fry almost sounds like the English voices, but the other characters sound like they all should be in old-folks homes. Especially Bender!

Your teacher gave you Etre et avoir? Ouaou!

omg_a

HSC
my teacher cannot handle dvds...even cds freak her out...

the fabulous empire cinema bowral is surely a couple of hours from you chepas! you're in sydney aren't you??

i should so watch au revoir les enfants again! hmmm

so instead i watched ever after for the 1000th time. love how they variously pronounce madame and loncraix...go the brit accents in france!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)