The Official French Film/SBS Movie Thread (1 Viewer)

chepas

HSC
Bah, the tyranny of distance n'existe pas! My mum's ex used to get up at 3am every Saturday morning to go down to Moss Vale and play golf. And we live in the burbs of Sydney. Now if you think I'M crazy.....

a, you old fart! Is your bday on the weekend at the very least? 3 of my mates have their's during the HSC and they're all having parties straight after the HSC.

You do Au revoir les enfants? Coolish. I think you're the only person I know (out of gee, the billions of Ext. people that I know :rolleyes: ) that does that one instead of M+J. I hear thought that BOS is FINALLLY changing the films prescriptions and getting something more recent, because these are ancient (like, 1997! Get witht he times...).

N'oublions pas "Sexy Boys" dans quelques minutes! 9h30, puis il y a un autre film Franco-Taïwanais a` 12h15 du matin.

Don't forget "Sexy Boys" in a few minutes! 9.30...

Last edited:

omg_a

HSC
well if you do come down, drive through our main street and you cant miss the cinema. it's the tallest building. no really.

i know, grey hairs will be appearing soon!!! as for a party, my friends are taking me out to one of our v. exclusive pubs coz it's a sat night (i hope you have a present fattie, hint hint) but no party. and the night of french ext is our formal ( ahhh have no dress...) then, the sunday i leave for schoolies!! ahhhh!!

our class of four is doing au revoir-why does everyone do m+j??? au revoir est si poignant est triste!! 1997...pfft....1988!!! quality is awful....(grainy/green film been copied too many times)

and i missed sexy boys...i watched chocolat instead, love that movie...can't lose with johnny depp and chocolate. drool. and it's set in france!!

chepas

HSC
Cool, cool and cool to your message précédant :D.

SEXY BOYS WAS PHUNNY! Well, it was that stupid funny that you usually have to be in, yet as always, the French always seem to handle things in an extremely classy, BCBG manner.

Seb: (en voix haute dans une bibliothèque) Je me branle et j'aime ça.

Citation du jour :) Actually, a lot of good vocab for young people (yes I know it's sad, finding vocab to study in MOVIES....). Admittedly I haven't seen any of the Pies American, so my frame of reference between this Franco film and those movies doesn't exist.
_____

Sounds like you're lining yourself up for a good 18th there a... veeery nice!

Hippy La-Laa

Stupid Pixie.
HSC
HAHAHAH! I taped "Sexy Boys" to watch later, just saw it (watched it with my little 14 y.o brother who thought the fart jokes were funny... :rolleyes: ).

FUNNNY!! It was definately France's answer to "American Pie" the parallels were everywhere. ^ I also liked that scene Chep. And the bathroom/lubricant scene.. :p and the little sister who came into the bedroom at the end saying something like "If a boy comes up and asks me for cunnilingus should I fellate him?"
Brother: *Shocked*
Sister: Talking about sex is the only way to get your attention these days!

HAHAH! Maybe I shouldn't have written that.... It was funny in the context.

Bon ANNIVERSAIRE omg_a pour la semaine prochaine!! Have tonnes of fun!!!

malkin86

HSC
I didn't like how the end turned out, I would have preferred it if (spoilers) the tape had survived and they'd got good marks! But I guess you can't have everything. My dad and my little brother were passing in and out of the room while I was watching... Afterwards, my dad asked me if I'd picked up any vocab! :eek: Mortifying!

I liked Armelle Deutsche (sp?) - she was very good in the role, I thought. And when the film cut from "You're such a romantic" to ... a bathroom scene... :D mdr!

chepas

HSC
Very Big News in French Cinema Releases in Australia!

NEWS!! NEWS!! NEWS!! NEWS!! NEWS!! NEWS!! NEWS!! NEWS!! NEWS!! NEWS!!

New releases for December for two new French movies in cinemas. They (in Sydney) will be shown at both Dendy's (Opera Quays only I THINK) and the Palace (Norton St, Paddington). Après vous which was shown at the French Film Festival earlier this year, promises to be another one of those delightful French farces, and the Whatshisname Jeunet director person who did Amélie is back again as well as Audrey Tautou in Un long dimanche de fiançailles (A Very Long Engagement). This film has sort have been stooped in controversy in terms of its "Frenchness", with government grants etc been held back as the film has been managed by Warner France, apparently a Foreign company, hence 'not' qualifying for grants as a French film. All confusing and I can't really explain it because I am talking to the art teachers at my school as I type this and hilarity always ensues. I'll just give the blurbs for the films now before I start crappingonage on a grand scale:

Source: www.dendy.com.au
Apres Vous (M)
Opens December 16 at selected Dendy and Palace Cinemas

A romantic comedy of errors, APRES VOUS is a brilliant French farce with an intelligent script and solidly grounded characters. Performed by an impeccable cast with superb comedic chemistry, APRES VOUS brings Antoine, an overly accommodating maitre d' and Louis together. Despondent over a recent break-up, Louis remains gripped by Blanche, the love of his life. Neglecting his own girlfriend, Antoine not only brings Louis home and lands him a job, but also attempts to reunite him with his love, further entangling both men in a captivating, delightful portrait of male friendship.

"Smart, tart and winningly funny."
-Benny Crick, SCREENDAILY.COM
Source: www.dendy.com.au
A Very Long Engagement (MA)
Opens December 26 at selected Dendy and Palace Cinemas

From the director of Amelie, The City of Lost Children and Delicatessen comes A VERY LONG ENGAGEMENT, based on the acclaimed novel by Sebastian Japrisot. Against the backdrop of World War I, Audrey Tautou recounts a young woman's efforts to establish the grim truth about her fiance, court-martialled and pushed out of an Allied trench toward certain death. What follows is an investigation into the arbitrary nature of secrecy, the absurdity of war, and the passion, intuition and tenacity of the human heart. With beautiful cinematography and a stunning cast, A VERY LONG ENGAGEMENT exudes love and suffering. Directed by Jean-Pierre Jeunet. Starring Audrey Tautou, Gaspard Ulliel, Dominique Pinon, Jodie Foster, Chantal Neuwirth.

"Decorated with sumptuous costumes, arresting sets and breathtaking cinematography, rarely is a film both this visually stunning and this emotionally stimulating."
-- E! ONLINE
I am actually thinking "BOS Meet-up" for one of these films maybe? Stay tuned. Probably will be in the new year.

And let's return to the world of SBS.

Tuesday, 7 December, 10:30 pm HOT DOCS - THE GLEANERS AND I (LES GLANEURS ET LA GLANEUSE)

Winner of Best Documentary at the 2000 European Film Awards, Agnès Varda's beautifully crafted film is an intimate inquiry into French life, as lived by France's poor and provident. Varda's film takes gleaners as her point of departure people who pick at already-harvested fields for leftovers, individuals who were immortalised in previous generations by painters like Jean-François Millet, Vincent Van Gogh and Jules Breton. Varda's investigation into modern gleaners creates a portrait of contemporary France through the vista of those at the margins of French society. This film formed part of the 2001 Sydney Film Festival. Director Agnès Varda is in her early 70s and has been making films for more than 40 years, starting with her first feature in 1954, La Pointe Courte. (In French, English subtitles) (2000) G [/b]

Wednesday, 8th December, 10:00 pm MOVIE - DRAMA - LES MISERABLES

This adaptation of Victor Hugo's classic novel - by director Claude Lelouch is set in WWII France, starring Jean-Paul Belmondo as a poor and illiterate former boxer, Henri Fortin. Many Vichy collaborationists went on to become high officials in the police, justice and civil administration during the German occupation but many ordinary, decent people refused to be swayed by living in an occupied country and risked their lives to save many Jews and as a result over 500,000 Jews in France survived. Fortin is a former middleweight boxing champion-turned-truck driver who has agreed to aid a Jewish family in their flight from Nazi-occupied France to Switzerland. The refugees are Andre Ziman, a wealthy and renowned defense attorney, Elise Ziman, a prima ballerina, and their young daughter, Salome. As Henri and his charges traverse the French countryside, the illiterate driver requests that Andre read to him from Victor Hugo's Les Misérables. As the story-within-the-story unfolds, Henri is enraptured, seeing parallels in his own life to both Les Misérables' Jean Valjean and Cosette. Like Valjean after meeting the little chimney sweep, Henri is determined to devote the rest of his life to the selfless aid of others. (In French, English subtitles) (1995) M (V,S,L) WS

Fridau, 10 December, 10:30 pm MOVIE - DRAMA - A CRIME IN PARADISE

Jojo and Lulu live on a farm called Paradise but hate each other. One evening, Jojo sees a famous criminal lawyer on television bragging how he always gets his clients acquitted. He decides to consult him and travels to Paris to tell him he's killed his wife even though he hasn't. Jacquard, the lawyer, advises him what to do. Meanwhile, back home Lulu has bought poison and plans to do away with Jojo. Directed by Jean Becker and stars Josiane Balasko and Jacques Villeret. (From France, English subtitles) (2001) M (V,S,A) (Rpt) WS

Sunday, 12 December, 10:25 pm CINEMA CLASSIC - DRAMA - LOULOU

Gerard Depardieu stars as Loulou, a semi-delinquent, hard drinking tough guy, in this classic love story. When Loulou whose name means both darling and lout, colloquially, meets middle class Nelly in a bar, the two fall madly in love. As their relationship evolves, Nelly's former lover, Andre, an advertising executive, objects to her lower class love interest. Director Maurice Pialat's exploration of the connections between power, passion, class and social convention has bittersweet consequences. (In French, English subtitles) (1980) M (S,L,A) (Rpt) WS

Last edited:

malkin86

HSC
Ooh! I found out what the french film was called that "Jungle 2 Jungle" was based on was called (and it's probably the one PG French film that you'll be able to see with people like younger brothers etc.) It was called "Un indien dans la ville", and it starred Thierry Lhermitte.

Jazz Man Tim

Cannonball
HSC
malkin86 said:
Ooh! I found out what the french film was called that "Jungle 2 Jungle" was based on was called (and it's probably the one PG French film that you'll be able to see with people like younger brothers etc.) It was called "Un indien dans la ville", and it starred Thierry Lhermitte.
so true. lol
Un indien dans la ville is SO much better than Jungle to Jungle. UH! when jungle to jungle came out, i was so angry lol. anyway :D

2 amazing french films i suggest you watch, my mum recently came back from France and got these on DVD for me..

Bon Voyage. if you havent seen it, see it. good film.

Les Choristes. AMAZING film. what a great film. seriouslyl get this guys, watch it, download it.. whateva. but its one of the greatest films. its also got HEAPS good music as well. so Musos? get it... Chepas? im looking at you here. i loved it and you should all too. :)

chepas

HSC
Yeah hey malkin I saw that one too ages back and remember thinking to myself "Ah k... cool!"... must track down.

ANd yes "Les choristes" too. I think (correct if I'm wrong) that SBS showed it a while back? I think it was cos I remember being really shitty because I missed it or something. EIther that or it was something else.

*Need Alliance membership!*

And "Bon voyage" aussi. Another 2004 French Film Fest one that sounds rather good. I think that's coming to screens as well soon.

What other good French comedies are there? I'm in the mood to laugh...

Jazz Man Tim

Cannonball
HSC
chepas said:
What other good French comedies are there? I'm in the mood to laugh...
french comedies eh?

Taxi 1,2 and 3 :D love those, so good lol.
Tais Toi
Asterix & Obelix Mission Cleopatre (anyone who hasn't seen this, see it. im deadly serious, one of the funniest french films i have EVER seen)

thats all i can' think of off the top of my head, but there is heaps... :)

chepas

HSC
The Asterix films really? I always thought they'd be a huge let down cos the books are just soooooooo hilarious, French AND English, so I thought nothing could really replicate that humour.

And never realised that there were more than one 'Taxi' :D.

Jazz Man Tim

Cannonball
HSC
:-0!!!
lol the Asterix filim is so funny. kinda like Scary Movie in all its references to other films and things. and the actor Jamel Debbouze (not sure if you know him) he was the helper at the little shop in Amelie..only 1 arm? remeber?
anyway, he is the funniest guy. lol, see the film. mayb im weird, but i think you will find it VERY funny :D

and yea! there are 3 taxi films! first one is amazing, 2nd one is ok. and 3rd one is heaps funny :D

get yourself a membership at alliance and see if they've got them for hire. :)

chepas

HSC
Mmmm.. I honestly couldn't see them making so many sequels out of 'Taxi'. It was funny and OK, but nothing groundbreaking, and that they become better as more of them are made!

ceasetehconfusn

online now
HSC
yeah malkin86...although i don't remember the title i think it is 'indian in the city' iin french or something like that..arghh too late you already recalled oopss

Last edited:

chepas

HSC
^ Reminds me of the "Indian in the Cupboard" movie from aaaaages ago.... :D

I'm going to see Après vous tonight! The first movie I have seen in about a year...

chepas

HSC
New Movies!!!

Grandes nouvelles!!!

There are quite a few new movies out.

Les Choristes

This looks really nice. A remake of a movie from the 40s. The Herald didn't seem to be too enthusiastic but evertime I read their critiques they never like anything. And it's musicalish looking so it might appeal. Certainly did in France where it is a box office hit.

Out: Not anymore unfortunately! Check out the Alliance or other places where videos are rented to see it. AND DO!
Site: www.leschoristes-lefilm.com
Blurb from www.dendy.com.au:
A timeless story of childhood- all the desparation and heartfelt striving, the tender secrets and hilarious antics - as experienced by a collection of wayward kids. Set in France in 1948, it follows the story of an unemployed music teacher who finds a job as a proctor in a correctional boarding school for minors. Stunned by the harsh reality of the school's routine, he sets out to change the pupils' lives through the magic and power of music. This emotionally charged drama casts a handful of strikingly talented children, supported behind the camera by a brilliant children's choir and has recently been nominated for a Golden Globe Award for Best Foreign Language Film

Seducing Doctor Lewis (La grande séduction)

A film Québécois, so there is my thumbs up :D. Actually, when I saw the shorts of this when seeing Après vous it looked a bit odd, but funny. Especially when they started playing cricket. About a town that lacks a doctor and has a hard time finding one. But when they do mayhem and hilarity (seems to) ensue(s).

Out: Now at selected cinemae
Site: www.wellspring.com/movies/text.html?movie_id=38&page=synopsis
A beguiling story of a ragtag fishing community on a tiny, impoverished island who must persuade a young Montreal-based doctor to live in their town in order to get a much-needed new factory. SEDUCING DOCTOR LEWIS (La Grande Séduction) has the rare distinction of being selected for Sundance Film Festival (Audience Award Winner, World Cinema), Cannes (Closing Night, Director’s Fortnight) and Toronto (Special Presentation). It went on to be nominated for thirteen Jutra Awards (French-Canada’s Oscar), winning seven, and recently was nominated for eleven Genie Awards (Canadian Oscars).
A Very Long Engagement (Un long dimanche de fiançailles)

Audrey Tautou, Amélie. Pourquoi pas, hein? Features slow motion running and heartfelt story, though not considered French by their fund-giving-out body. Still looks interesting...

Out: selected cinemae everywhere.
Site: www.wip.warnerbros.com/avle
From the director of Amelie, The City of Lost Children and Delicatessen comes A VERY LONG ENGAGEMENT, based on the acclaimed novel by Sebastian Japrisot. Against the backdrop of World War I, Audrey Tautou recounts a young woman's efforts to establish the grim truth about her fiancé, court-martialed and pushed out of an Allied trench toward certain death. What follows is an investigation into the arbitrary nature of secrecy, the absurdity of war, and the passion, intuition and tenacity of the human heart.
Après vous

Funny. I loved it. I loved how it
didn't end like Hollywood films do.
. So it kept me on my toes. Funny too. Poor mentally unstable waiter and Auteil who is a more brainy and with-it protagonist (compared to Le dîner de cons!), well, according to my narrow perception at least hehe. Recommended. It's about to finish so be quick while you can. Lest you become a member of the Alliance française, which I recommend anyway :).

Out: Now. Be quick! Ça va terminer!
Site: N/A, but I haven't tried looking...
A romantic comedy or errors, APRES VOUS is a brilliant French farce with an intelligent script and solidly grounded characters. Performed by an impeccable cast with superb comedic chemistry, APRES VOUS brings Antoine, an overly accommodating maitre d' and Louis together. Despondent over a recent break-up, Louis remains gripped by Blanche, the love of his life. Neglecting his own girlfriend, Antoine not only brings Louis home and lands him a job, but also attempts to reunite him with his love, further entangling both men in a captivating, delightful portrait of male friendship.
Also, make sure you all keep a look out for the French Film Festival that will be held in March this year. They have announced that the film that will be opening the festival on their Gala Opening Night will be Comme une image (Look At Me), from Agnes Jaoui. Should be exciting! Keep going back for news, and you can also register for 'La Lettre' newsletter of the 'Alliance to keep abreast of any latest Festival goss.

C'est tout pour la papotage (ou c'est masculin, la/le papotage?)
Chépas :D.

Last edited:

chepas

HSC
2005 French Film Festival Hits Sydney 10-23 March!!! Be There!!!

GRANDE ANNONCE!!! GRANDE ANNONCE!!! GRANDE ANNONCE!!!
FRENCH FILM FESTIVAL TO HIT SYDNEY 10-23 MARCH!!!

That's right, my fellow francophiles and film lovers. The French Film Festival is once again back in town. And a stellar line up as well.

Go here for latest info!

I haven't read all the synopses yet, but I can tell you - melsc, you as the resident Legal person :)p) might like "10e CHAMBRE, INSTANTS D'AUDIENCES". A doco-style, courtroom-dramaesque movie reminiscent of "Etre et avoir".

Will edit this message as I read more. But now, off to bed.

Do I detect meet-up potential?

Chépas :D.

malkin86

HSC
The concession cost to see one is $13.50.

I'm most interested in "And they lived happily Ever After", or "Me and My Sister", "Podium", "Genesis" and "Not on the Lips", and maybe the shorts and the common thread.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)