The official IR reform thread! (1 Viewer)

Generator

HSC
N/A
Not-That-Bright said:
How can you claim one side is more 'arrogant' than the other in this situation?
Given the power that the Coalition currently wields, I think that it's fair to say that the ACTU and the ALP are merely playing catch up in this instance.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
walrusbear said:
yeh commercial media is brilliant isn't it
The 7.30 report only allocated 6 minutes to the protests.

transcendent

HSC
N/A
It becomes an issue of THEM and US. By demonising the protesters as stupid or ignorant it's easy to dismiss these issues. Though these aren't the sole reasons why the Coalition got in. Those affected most will probably be Labor supporters in Labor heartland so don't expect some land slide win especially with the anti-terrorism laws. If the intellecual left can't win by voting against the Iraq war then voting against sedition isn't going to change much. Seems like another Coalition win. Labor get off your arses and make yourselves heard you pansies! Vote #1 Mark Latham.

Generator

HSC
N/A
Rafy said:
The 7.30 report only allocated 6 minutes to the protests.
Its report was also more balanced than that presented by the 7 news team (according to your earlier description of the 7 bulletin, anyway). Add to that the fact that the ABC as a whole has been providing extensive coverage of today since the before the rallies began... Quite frankly, your point doesn't make much sense.

Last edited:

Sarah

HSC
N/A
Rafy said:
I guess Labor told you that one?
The TRUTH is that the reforms have had the scrutinty of one of the longest periods of debates in Australian history. Even less parliamentary debate was allocated for key, and contriveral reforms of previous governments.
Well the intention to introduce reforms has been out in the open for the past year however the actual proposed legislation containing the details was only released in the middle of last month.

Sarah

HSC
N/A
Rafy said:
Just talked to my dad. Hes a publc servant (state government; DIPNR). He attended work today and says that at least 90% of people on his level of the building were at work today. (Even though the state government gave all its employees the day off and DIPNR is located near the protests at Wynard)

These protests have been a failure and will be forgotten within a few days.
From what i heard, it was a day off without pay

Generator

HSC
N/A
Well, here's a summary of today's events -

ACTU happy with protest numbers
IR protests fail to impress business reps

Unions accused of running misinformation campaign

No doubt there'll be more to discuss tomorrow given what is likely to appear in the broadsheets, but I think that after today I'll take a break from updating the thread with links for a time (tomorrow at least). However, if something rather important comes across my screen or the airwaves as I'm sitting at the pc, I'll update the thread and try and initiate another minor discussion or two.

Last edited:

leetom

there's too many of them!
HSC
Rafy said:
Just talked to my dad. Hes a publc servant (state government; DIPNR). He attended work today and says that at least 90% of people on his level of the building were at work today. (Even though the state government gave all its employees the day off and DIPNR is located near the protests at Wynard)

These protests have been a failure and will be forgotten within a few days.
My mother is a public servent (state government; DOCS). She supports the ACTU and the rallies, but she did not attend as her workload is too intense for her to be taking leave for two hours. I think you would find that out of the workers who did not attend the rallies, those who were sympathetic to the ACTU cause would far outnumber those who were indifferent or supportive of the Federal Government.

Edit: I was a bit disheartened to see so many 'The Greens' signs hoisted up everywhere. Who do those bastards think they are, just crashing ACTU rallies like that. They threaten to split the anti-Government vote, perhaps even convince people to stick with the Government over an ALP with what looks like tacky Green baggage.

Also, some dickheads were trotting about with a 'Labor for Refugees' banner. The rally was about workplace reform, not refugees, and that issue is a much more divisive issue than IR reform. It looked totally out of place.

Last edited:

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
I found this most disturbing.

Teachers urged primary school children to join the political rallies in Sydney yesterday against proposed industrial relations changes.

In a note sent to families at Wilkins Public School in Marrickville, staff wrote: "We urge you to join with us on this day of action against John Howard's industrial relations agenda by coming along and bringing your children. It's their future we are fighting for."

The note sent home with children to almost 400 families angered the federal Minister for Education, Brendan Nelson, who said it crossed the line between education and indoctrination. "That teachers might misunderstand the nature and detail of the proposed reforms and the importance of it to Australia's future is one thing; to encourage parents and [children] to be involved is quite another."

NSW Education Department policy prohibits employees from distributing political material to students at school.

"The exact circumstances of the flyers distribution are being investigated by senior department officers," a spokesman said. "Employees found to have distributed political material to students are liable to disciplinary action."
http://www.smh.com.au/news/national...or-their-rights/2005/11/15/1132016796617.html

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
leetom said:
Don't be too concerned. I have been banned from my formal for distributing information leaflets on IR reform, among other harmless acts. It all depends on the political leaning of the school administration.
From your formal...?

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
leetom said:
Don't be too concerned. I have been banned from my formal for distributing information leaflets on IR reform, among other harmless acts. It all depends on the political leaning of the school administration.

Hard....Core....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)