• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

The official IR reform thread! (1 Viewer)

Generator

HSC
N/A
Barnaby Joyce strikes again. Given that he was elected as a Senator for the Queensland Nationals rather than the Coalition Nationals, it seems as though he may hold quite a bit of power from 1 July on.

Generator

HSC
N/A
Labouring under an illusion of workplace reform. Another opinion piece. Sorry about the bump, but I think that this issue is too important for it to just be 'forgotten'.

Edit: http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,15492793%5E2702,00.html
Under a timetable confirmed yesterday by federal Workplace Relations Minister Kevin Andrews, the Coalition hopes to have legislation passed by the end of the year for immediate operation.
Plans for workplace may cause baby crisis

Last edited:

Sarah

HSC
N/A
Generator said:
Labouring under an illusion of workplace reform. Another opinion piece. Sorry about the bump, but I think that this issue is too important for it to just be 'forgotten'.
Agreed. The issue is important.

I think it remains to be seen exactly what the effects are. We can argue that there'll be increased job insecurity due to changes in unfair dismissal laws but we won't really know what the effects will be until the reforms come in.

We can't assume that employers are just going fire an employee at whim, there will still need to be a reasonable justification for termining a contract of employment.

Also, it does take time and cost the the business to fire and hire staff members. Induction and training is time consuming plus mistakes are made during that time which costs business.

From talking to people, the current system creates a lot of time wastage. For example an employer who has dismissed an employee over performance management reasons can accused of unfair dimissal despite giving sufficient warning to the employee.

There's pros and cons for both sides and the effects of the reforms will vary across industries.

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
a few months ago, the unions were in ample position to turn the screw on employers and make lots of progress in wage increases and benefits since we had and still have a shortage of labour. if they applied sufficient pressure and chucked in a few strikes, i'm sure employers would have had to cave in to some demands. now here we are, a month before the libs have full senate control and they have done nothing. i know that lots of employees are now on australian workplace agreements but if the unions had gained the bargaining power ascendancy, they would be in a better position when employers do start taking advantage of the new reforms and the impact of those reforms would be softened, am i right?

Sarah

HSC
N/A
blackfriday said:
a few months ago, the unions were in ample position to turn the screw on employers and make lots of progress in wage increases and benefits since we had and still have a shortage of labour. if they applied sufficient pressure and chucked in a few strikes, i'm sure employers would have had to cave in to some demands. now here we are, a month before the libs have full senate control and they have done nothing. i know that lots of employees are now on australian workplace agreements but if the unions had gained the bargaining power ascendancy, they would be in a better position when employers do start taking advantage of the new reforms and the impact of those reforms would be softened, am i right?
It depends. Striking does nothing to the image of the unions.

Wage increases may not have been an issue in the past few months. I think i read somewhere that wages have risen at a rate higher than inflation. Feel free to correct me though.

I think you might be confusing AWA's with collective bargaining? To my understanding the role of the union in AWA's in relegated to ensure that the employee isn't disadvantaged when the AWA is drawn up. That's based on whether the employee is a member of the union to begin with.

You may want to consider why employees enter into AWA;s to begin with. AWA's may allow for more flexibility that the current industry award does not provide e.g cashing out accumlated entitlements, overcoming certain restrictions in the state/fed award

if you want more info, have a look at www.oea.gov.au . There's stats on number of employees covered by AWAs, the process on how an AWA is lodged and approved and also just general info.

Generator

HSC
N/A
An interesting day of news. More was said (and more will appear tomorrow), but this selection should suffice for now.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/17-award-wage-increase/2005/06/07/1117910278456.html

$17 award wage increase
By Nick O'Malley and AAP
June 7, 2005 - 11:05AM

The Australian Industrial Relations Commission has today awarded Australia's lowest paid workers a pay rise of $17 a week.

The wage case finding is likely to be the commission's last before the Howard Government's proposed Fair Pay Commission takes over...

http://www.abc.net.au/worldtoday/content/2005/s1386415.htm

ALP dubs new IR body 'low pay commission'
The World Today - Tuesday, 7 June , 2005 12:14:00
Reporter: Alexandra Kirk

ELEANOR HALL: Now to reaction in the national capital and the Federal Government is giving little away on its view of the commission's decision, refusing to say whether it regards the $17 a pay rise as too much or to speculate on the effect it might have on employment.

Instead Workplace Relations Minister Kevin Andrews says the Government's proposed Fair Pay Commission will make future minimum wage decisions with more "economic rigour".

The Federal Labor Party, though, is insisting that workers will be worse off under the new commission, dubbing it a "low pay commission".

And the Australian Democrats say today's pay award is likely to be the last substantial wage rise before the Government leads the charge for lower wages.

From Canberra, Alexandra Kirk reports...

http://www.abc.net.au/worldtoday/content/2005/s1386429.htm

End of an era for industrial relations
The World Today - Tuesday, 7 June , 2005 12:18:00
Reporter: Alison Caldwell

ELEANOR HALL: Former Judge Paul Munro, who retired from the Industrial Relations Commission last year, is today expressing concern about the changes being proposed by the Federal Government.

Speaking to Alison Caldwell, Justice Munro, who spent almost two decades on the industrial courts bench, says he is fearful that we are now seeing the end of an era of fiercely independent wage judgements...

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
i cant believe this thread has just gone by the wayside, WHY DONT PEOPLE CARE?!

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
People do care, It's just that most people support the Industrial relations reforms (or at least don't feel the need to oppose them), so what exactly are they supposed to say?

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
I was talking mainly about people on the forum. Not many people know the implications of many policies, you don't know 100% what the implementation of these reforms means yourself...

walrusbear

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
People do care, It's just that most people support the Industrial relations reforms (or at least don't feel the need to oppose them), so what exactly are they supposed to say?
i'm sure if some perspective was attained then most would oppose it

walrusbear

HSC
why do the conservatives on this board have such a weird double standard?

when it comes to unions they are apparently 'useless' and have had their day. they're corrupt and should be dismantled.

however, corporate business; now there's a shining example of organisation we can all trust!

most people here would throw away any rights they have if someone, anyone, said it would help the economy

walrusbear

HSC
Asquithian said:
Nows thats saying something for an informed liberal democracy. Even those who have some level of interest in politics really do not have any idea.

Major reforms and no one seems to know.

Conservative politics has learn that there is no point debating with the other side. Just simply ignore them and avoid all attention.

For example Tony Abbot and such drop the abortion issue out there in the media. They flag it as an issue. But refuse to debate anyone directly.
the government refuses to approach an issue directly because they know that it wouldn't be supported by a majority if they weren't deceptive

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
You don't really believe that do you? The government could get HARDER on immigration and the majority of the population (imo) would support it. Of course if they weren't deceptive about some things they would lose support.. but that's true of all parties...

walrusbear

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
That is true, and it makes me sad in question time when they avoid questions... but it's all just a part of politics I guess :(
regrettable eh

Sarah

HSC
N/A
Asquithian said:
Really?

If you asked the average person in the street they wouldnt have the first clue about the details of the government plans for industrial relations. None would know the implications.
I don't think there's enough info out there to judge what the consequences will be and so the issue isn't really one which is at the forefront of ppl's minds.

For starters here;s a few questions i have which i hope someone here may provide answers to.

Which industries will be affectd and which industries won't be?

When they say they want to simplify awrads, how much simpler (for lack of better word) do they want to make them?

Under the new system, if they're pushing for AWA's what happens when an employee refuses to sign an AWA?

Do they even have the capacity to process AWA;s efficiently? From what i've been told, AWA's aren't approved on the spot. It takes time for the OEA to process them (months i've been told).

Anyway, they're just some questions i have. I'm bound to come up with more after exams.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)