The official Medical Science thread (1 Viewer)

mohdateeq

HSC
Which one would you recommend, doing BMed Science at Usyd or UNSW if you are hoping to go into Medicine?

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
i know its not going to be easy but its what i want to do.
and i think i will get a better understanding for medicine if it do that rather than a BArts for example
They're right, medical science degrees are not pre-requisites or shoe-ins to getting into a medical degree. You would get a better understanding of medical science though, which is a part of medicine. It's relevant and will make it easier for you to pick up the medical science background that's required when studying medicine. Some medical faculties will reward you with extra points if you have a medical science degree.

But if you are not successful in getting into medicine, where does that leave you if you are not interested in pursuing a career in medical science?

BigDk

HSC
actually for someone who wants to do medicine a gpa of 5.0 should be pretty easy.

i applied about 10% of my efforts to uni during semester and about 80% 2 weeks before the exams and i have a gpa of over 5.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Which one would you recommend, doing BMed Science at Usyd or UNSW if you are hoping to go into Medicine?
Both would be excellent preparation for medicine. Undergrad science degrees are pretty much similar. Pick the uni you like the most and close to home.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Hey Katie! How are you going? Long time no chat.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
Hi2u Survivor!
I'm good :) Working and assignments and it never ends :(... I ended up getting a credit for that horrible presentation/speech subject! How's stuff down your way!

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Hi2u Survivor!
I'm good :) Working and assignments and it never ends :(... I ended up getting a credit for that horrible presentation/speech subject! How's stuff down your way!
Well doen for getting a credit! A credit is still good! How come you still have assignments to do? It's uni holiday!

My PhD is going at a very slow pace at the moment - my cells have decided they want to be on holiday/lazy and cause my experiment to fail..

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
I did some subjects over summer, keep my mind stimulated :p I officially go back next week though, so I've started my semester stuff early coz I'm a bit square.

Sucks to hear about your experiment :( sounds like your cells need a good slap upside the face :p

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
I'm working on the role of mucus-associated bacteria in Crohn's disease. Currently I am investigating how Campylobacter species invade intestinal epithelial cells.

C6H12O6-Glucose

HSC
I'm working on the role of mucus-associated bacteria in Crohn's disease. Currently I am investigating how Campylobacter species invade intestinal epithelial cells.
gee that sounds pretty sweet! so far i've nothing new/interesting/worth studying but the work's still piling up! Damn med sci - why can't they just let people with provisional places trade them in for an undergrad place somewhere else? or maybe a medical school black-market?
"i'll give you my ANU grad for your UNSW undergrad and the first year textbooks"
"No way, UNSW's worth way more than that! i'll take your playstation aswell"
... I wish!

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
I have no opinion on biomedical engineering to be honest, mainly because I don't know a great deal about it. I'm doing a double in MedSc/Forensic Biotech, so I'm sure towards the end I'll do something on bioinformatics.

Not sure what job prospects are like for biomedical engineering.

JoelWilson

HSC
Did anyone do scif1111 at UNSW and if so could you email me the take away exam?

Thanks

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
[i posted this in the general uni discussion area but its not getting any replies, so ill post it here too]

okay, so im going to uni next year, and have no clue as to what career i want to pursue in the future! i have a month left to apply, and im stuck between a few degrees.. particularly medical science and commerce.

i really wanted to do medical science, because this is what interests me, but i've heard that you cant really get a job out of it, and that the purpose of the course is for people wanting to do postgrad degrees in medicine, dentistry etc. does this mean that if i do med science, i wont be able to get a job as a medical scientist (etc) when im done? Also, medical science at macquarie uni has a psychology major in it... if i were to do this, does this mean i would be able to undertake a 2 year grad dip in psychology afterwards and register as a psychologist? or is the medical science degree not enough? is it possible to get any jobs out of just doing a medical science degree?

on the other hand, i was thinking about doing commerce or business. it doesnt interest me like med science does, but at least i can get a job out of it after i finish. what kind of jobs can a graduate start off with? what jobs can they get into after many years of experience?

i was hoping that people could share the positives and negatives of each degree, especially from the unis in the sydney area? and just some advice that could help me choose a degree or a career path would be nice too. btw, gap years or TAFE or other colleges arent an option for me, i want to get stuck straight into uni. please no stupid comments like "theyre both crap, do something else" or "work it out for urself or you'll get nowhere" etc.

thanks to the people who help out :)

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
All of my friends from MedSc are working in the field right now. I only know one who is still searching for jobs for more than 6 months (I think that's because her marks aren't very good).

I have 1 friend doing cancer research at the Garvan, 1 at Sigma (a chemical company, she answers technical questions from scientists about company products), 1 in sales (selling medical and research equipments), and a few going on to do a PhD.

I only know a small number of people going on to do medicine. People's way of thinking changes over the 3-4 years during their degree and once they experience scientific research first hand.

A medsc degree is an excellent degree to be train to become a scientist. If you like a research career (doing experiments and finding out what this gene does or how to block cell division of a cancer cell, or what do bacteria do to cause disease etc ) then this degree is for you.

I can't comment on the commerce degree but there are PLENTY of threads on this topic. Just note that they are completely different degrees. One is about money, the other is about wanting to know more about the human body in the medical context.

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
ahh good advice there. thanks for that, its a big help! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)