• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

The Official PS3 vs. Xbox 360 Thread (1 Viewer)

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
stazi said:
yeah: do you know how to do it? is it easy?
yeah i've done it. nothing too hard, just need some time & patience.

also ifu get the psp, don't get the ones with the newer motherboard. you can't hack those ones currently.

all u really need is usb cable for psp, a screwdriver/ knife, some sticky tape and a psp.

i'll try to find the tutorial i folllowed

[edit] http://www.ps3forums.com/showthread.php?t=116426

=]
although, u'll probably be best off to try and find a picture to seewhere to actually cut on the batter (yes. you are gonna have to open up your battery.)

Last edited:

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Ones with newer mb = those not out yet, right? I think those are only coming in october, and I'm getting mine on september 22.

are there any soft mods for it, or do you have to take it apart?

runtlocks

the diff'rence
HSC
shinji said:
WRT this thread though, both consoles are good consoles no doubt about that. Although atm, the general masses seem to go towards X360 for the better games library, cheaper, and the whole fact that you can play emulated games on it (also the games offer from stazi =p).
Who knows whether this will change in the future. Only time will actually tell whether or not the PS3 will be better than the X360.
what's all this about then

stazi

Nightman
HSC
emulated games = xbox games. the ps3 no longer supports that

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
you could probably buy the pandora battery or a tool which converts it into a pandora battery and back, but it's pretty easy to mod it yourself. Plus, heard that the tool that converts it into a pandora battery and back doesn't work all the time.

I'm not the world's best electronic person (hell i almost electrocuted myself once), but if you excercise due care when taking it apart and hardmodding it, then you'll be fine when modding it. All you'd have to do if you stuff it up, is buy a new battery. lol

runtlocks

the diff'rence
HSC
Kotaku said:
Rod Fergusson from Epic thinks that his company is close to squeezing the last few drops of graphical performance from the Xbox 360.

With any console, it takes developers a while to learn how the thing really ticks so they can start exploiting its potential in ways even the designers may not have envisaged. Now that the 360 has been around for a couple of years, Fergusson thinks that Epic may be reaching the limits of that potential, but that consumers will still see improvements through to 2010.

"I'm not the technical guy," The Gears 2 producer told Gamasutra, "all I know is that with the two to three more years of optimization that we've had, we're much further along than I think, three years ago, we thought we were going to get."

He may be right — and Epic certainly know a thing or two about good-looking Xbox games — but you only have to look at the PS2 to see how a console can live some way beyond people's expectations.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
"I'm not the technical guy," The Gears 2 producer told Gamasutra, "all I know is that with the two to three more years of optimization that we've had, we're much further along than I think, three years ago, we thought we were going to get."
lol, that part ruins the entire quote

stazi

Nightman
HSC
shinji said:
you could probably buy the pandora battery or a tool which converts it into a pandora battery and back, but it's pretty easy to mod it yourself. Plus, heard that the tool that converts it into a pandora battery and back doesn't work all the time.

I'm not the world's best electronic person (hell i almost electrocuted myself once), but if you excercise due care when taking it apart and hardmodding it, then you'll be fine when modding it. All you'd have to do if you stuff it up, is buy a new battery. lol
and i'll be able to run 'backup' ps1 and psp games off a memory stick, right

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
stazi said:
and i'll be able to run 'backup' ps1 and psp games off a memory stick, right
haha yep yep.

if you have any questions about it, pm me ^^

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
feel like a vagina for advertising sites for my own benefit. but why not...not sure how many use play-asia but it is well worth a look for games! way cheaper than buying from the stores here or even ebay i think.

i paid <$70 each for gta4 and msg4 (incl delivery). its excellent for ps3 love the fact that they are region free!

so yeah check out the sig.

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
have you made any e-cash? do you even get referral points for people clicking your referral link? or only if they end up signing up + purchasing?

the only problem with buying games in bulk is that you end up sucking at most of them. i still havent opened msg4 for that very reason.

i just checked out the prices and they have now changed their fx rates to calc the AUD price. when i bought my games they were using .93 and now they are using .81. haha good on em for noticing the change a bit late than they should have.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
yeah loads. you get points for them buying.

when did you buy ur games? the rate was .93 not too long ago

edit: also they charge in US$, so it's only the price on the page

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
about a month ago...the rate has been on a sweet decline since mid july/aug. they have the approx aussie dollar price there though...

runtlocks

the diff'rence
HSC
During the Austin Game Developers Conference (via 1UP), id Software's lead designer Tim Willits admitted that the developer cut back on content it would have included in Rage, due to the Xbox 360's 6-8GB per disc limit. Willits explained that while the PC has "limitless" space and the PS3 has about 25GB, id is "hoping [it] can squeeze the game down to two discs for the 360 version."

He went on to note that the game was originally going to feature several wastelands, but the limitations of the Xbox 360 required the developer to cut them down to two. These changes were made for all versions of the game. id's John Carmack had previously stated that the game might be a "little blurry" in parts for the Xbox 360.

It's certainly interesting that the Xbox 360 determined the concessions other platforms would need to make in this circumstance.

-

stompy

HSC
stazi said:
The PS3's Cell processor is the only console that is powerful enough to run Linux.
Windows Vista is harder to run than Linux. Linux is probably one of the most bloatware-free OSs out there, depending on what type you're using.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)