the pill (1 Viewer)

J.a.d.e :-)

Nom Cupcakes...!
HSC
Hey guys i just have a question.

I know that for most prescription medicines, you have the option of taking the 'original' or generic brand..if you've been taking the original, can you change and start taking the generic, and vice versa? or is that just likely to cause hassles?

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
It's not a problem, it's the same stuff in a different box.

I don't have a family history of blood problems, Mum took the pill for years and never had a problem so I should be fine as well. Good warning though, it's not something people think about when taking the pill.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
It's not a problem, it's the same stuff in a different box.

I don't have a family history of blood problems, Mum took the pill for years and never had a problem so I should be fine as well. Good warning though, it's not something people think about when taking the pill.
Apparently some generic medicines (not just contraceptives) can cause different reactions to the real thing because they use different colourings, preservatives and fillers and such. Even though the active ingredient is the same its not necessarily identical in all regards.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
Apparently some generic medicines (not just contraceptives) can cause different reactions to the real thing because they use different colourings, preservatives and fillers and such. Even though the active ingredient is the same its not necessarily identical in all regards.
yeah that is true

but usually that applies to ppl with lots of allergies

if you dun have those problems just ask ur pharmacist.. they'll sort you.. but usually they are 99% the same cos thats the rule for generic listings in australia

Born Dancer

I can't go for that
HSC
Sorry to butt in, but just found this thread, and felt the need to say something pretty important to anyone on the pill or is thinking of taking it.

I don't want to scare anyone (but I probably will anyway...sorry!), but when I was taking the pill, it ended up giving me Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT) so severely that I had to be rushed off to the emergency room. (DVT is blood clots in the major veins in your legs...Google it.) We discovered this was because I had a genetic blood disorder, called Factor V Leiden, which causes my blood to clot much more easily.

If you are taking the pill, regardless of whether you have this disorder, it increases your chances of developing DVT by about 10% I think - this goes up considerably if you have Factor V Leiden.

The thing is, I had no idea I had this disorder. And most people go through their entire lives not knowing about it. Which is why it's such a problem: no one knows if they have it until they get blood clots.

So, please, girls - I cannot stress this enough: make sure you check your family history to see if anyone has a history of any blood clots, DVT, even chronic leg ulcers can be a sign someone may be carrying the gene. If there is a chance someone might be carrying this gene, you can have a blood test to check for Factor V Leiden.

And if you're worried about one blood test, consider the treatment for DVT I had to go through:
-Injections into my tummy, daily, for a week - and they were quite painful too.
-Taking blood-thinning pills (Warfarin) for six months, meaning I had to be extra-careful about not getting bruises or cuts - plus, it made my periods SHOCKINGLY heavy :(
- If you're on Warfarin, you can't have Neurofen. Hello, crippling period pain. (The reason I was taking the pill in the first place!)
-I had to have a blood test every second day for about two weeks, then once a week for several months, then once a fortnight until my six months of treatment were over. Not fun. Especially since I had a phobia of needles before all this started. (Not any more though.)
-You have to wear special circulation stockings for six months. This was especially fun in summer, since I nearly boiled on hot days. It also made for some, uh, 'interesting' outfits.
-Oh, and of course: my leg hurt like hell.

Needless to say, I stopped taking the pill as soon as this happened. :rolleyes:

Doctors never seem to stress this enough - that the pill increases your chances of getting blood clots, and that a lot of people don't know they have the Factor V Leiden disorder. (Google that, too.) So I'm telling you, please be careful and check your family history and/or get tested for the gene.

Alternatively, if you're on the pill and you get a feeling like a bad cramp in your leg that doesn't go away but gradually gets worse? Yeah, might want to go see a doctor and get a leg ultrasound. It could be DVT.

So yeah. That's my experience of being on the pill. Did wonders for my acne and my period pain, but put me through hell for six months.
it does actually warn you against most of that in the instruction booklet.. i should hope that most girls would read it before they begin taking it or at least while they are taking it

j3nay08

HSC
The doctor prescribed be Diane, but being a tightarse I went on Estelle, which is just the cheaper generic brand. My skin cleared up amazingly and I felt confident going out with no makeup at all, but the downside is that I put on 10kg in about 2 months. My cousin had suffered a similar problem from going on the pill (for endometriosis though, so it was another brand) so mum automatically guessed what I was on and was not impressed....
This time I'm on Levlen and it helped me lose 5kg, but has not improved my skin at all. I've also found that I can't skip periods on it. If I ignore the sugar pills I get really nauseous and bleed regardless, for over a week.
I'm thinking of going on the injection pill, as then I won't have to remember to take a tablet everyday. Have any of you had experience with that?
My doctor also prescribed me Diane for my skin, but my Chemist only sells the cheaper alternative Estelle. My doctor explained that it would take a few cycles for the pill to kick in and work its magic. Which is understandable, but i've been on the pill for almost a year now and haven't seen a dramatic improvement. I have however experienced some of the negative side effects; I've gone from a 12B/C cup to a 12DD/10E. =/ And have gained quite a significant amount of weight; from 55kg - 67kg. I’ve been trying to shed the excess weight, by maintaining a healthy diet and regular exercise, but to no avail. My question is - Should I a) stop taking the pill all together? Or b) Have my doctor prescribe an alternative pill and see how I go.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
My doctor also prescribed me Diane for my skin, but my Chemist only sells the cheaper alternative Estelle. My doctor explained that it would take a few cycles for the pill to kick in and work its magic. Which is understandable, but i've been on the pill for almost a year now and haven't seen a dramatic improvement. I have however experienced some of the negative side effects; I've gone from a 12B/C cup to a 12DD/10E. =/ And have gained quite a significant amount of weight; from 55kg - 67kg. I’ve been trying to shed the excess weight, by maintaining a healthy diet and regular exercise, but to no avail. My question is - Should I a) stop taking the pill all together? Or b) Have my doctor prescribe an alternative pill and see how I go.
different pill, Diane has a pretty high dosage of hormones which could explain the epic boobage and weight gain.

ask her to put you on yasmin. it's more expensive but it's low dosage and specifically is good for restraining Pill-related weight gain, it's good for stopping fluid retention and etc or something. My boobs still went up 2 cup sizes on it 10B - 10D lol but I have barely gained any weight maybe 2-3kgs. And no moody hellbitch side effects either. it's great.

j3nay08

HSC
different pill, Diane has a pretty high dosage of hormones which could explain the epic boobage and weight gain.

ask her to put you on yasmin.
'Epic boobage' that it is, they're HUGE. Ha ha.

And thanks heaps for the addvice, i appreciate it. I buy my Pill in packs of 3
and i'm only 7 days in to the 3rd packet. If my doctor prescribes Yasmine can i start taking it immediately, or do i have to finish this course of Diane? I love that it will stop fluid retention too. How long do you think it'll take to kick in?

Ranger Stacie

hollaback girl
HSC
I think you'll have to finish that course.

I'm quitting the pill. I hate it and everyone else is tired of me being a hormonal crazy bitch. Hopefully I will go back to normal soon.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
There are many lower hormone options and if your skin isn't improving on Estelle they might be for you, talk to your doctor because something less expensive than Yasmine might be suitable, I am on Microgynon 30ED but I take the generic Levlen ED, its about $30 for the brand and $20 for the generic (for four months worth!). I didn't have too many issues with my skin, however it did clear it up a little, plus I also found that clearer skin came with age once my body settled a bit

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
Question guys, friend of mine started the Pill recently and is now on day 12 or 13 or something of her period, is this normal?

She's seen a doctor and been put on another Pill but it's still there and doesn't look like going anywhere any time soon.

I should add she's always had long-ish periods since I've known her but it's been nearly 2 weeks, thats a little excessive.

Thoughts?

housah0lic

Dr Greenthumb
HSC
Question guys, friend of mine started the Pill recently and is now on day 12 or 13 or something of her period, is this normal?

She's seen a doctor and been put on another Pill but it's still there and doesn't look like going anywhere any time soon.

I should add she's always had long-ish periods since I've known her but it's been nearly 2 weeks, thats a little excessive.

Thoughts?
same thing happened to me. i didn't see a doctor or anything, i just stopped taking the pill altogether.

Ranger Stacie

hollaback girl
HSC
I had my period for a whole month on Yasmin, they changed me to a different pill and it stopped. she might just need to try a higher dose pill.

housah0lic

Dr Greenthumb
HSC
I had my period for a whole month on Yasmin, they changed me to a different pill and it stopped. she might just need to try a higher dose pill.
yes it was when i was on yasmin as well.
so far on diane nothing.

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC

Thoughts?
yeah same, my doctor put me on microgynon 20ED but it was too low a dosage so i got heaps of breakthrough bleeding [which is what it's called when your period keeps going]. he put me onto yasmin and it stopped completely. she just needs to go to her doctor and ask him to up the dosage, and she'll be fine.

magchem07

Open Up!
HSC
what!I paid $63 for three months which come in one pack. can you tell me where you got yours from?

yasmin was 31 a pack? goodness i paid like 32 for 4 months

i'm a bit worried to be on diane. apparently it's not very good in the long run, e.g. when you get off it acne hits back so much worse [and i don't even have acne!]

magchem07

Open Up!
HSC
thanks alot! yeah I went to Dr and she explained everything and now I am on the pill! Is there any way I can get rid of the spotting?I'm going on holiday and wanna go swimming,but with this damn spotting I dunno what to do,cz the flow is not heavy so I cant use tampon.
:burn:

Your doctor will explain it. But basically you need to use another form of contraception in addition to the pill for 2 weeks or so after you start (and if you really don't want to get pregnant you should probably be trying to do that all the time anyway). Don't forget to take the pills, and preferably at the same time every day or close to it. :)

magchem07

Open Up!
HSC
now that you r on levlen you dont have the spotting anymore,right?what is levlen,is it combined pill or progestrone only pill?

yasmin is prescribed for better skin mainly and it has low dosage of hormones. a doctor started me on on yasmin though, and i have never had skin problems because she said it was a 'good' one. at the time i was happy about it becuase i was convinced it wouldnt make me put on weight. it has a diuretic in it which supposedly prevents bloating. i eventually went back cos I had heaps of problems with it and they changed it to levlen ed. i do kind of wish i could of stayed on yasmin because i wasnt having as bad side effects, i just had constant bleed. levlen unleashed my inner bitch.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)