The Prince Of Denmark is an emo. Discuss. (1 Viewer)

jennieTalia

HSC
(20 marks)
Include:
+Critical Readings
+Interpretations in both modern and period context
+Language forms and features
+Dramatic structures
+Thematic values

:)

This question would be win.

KinKaida

HSC
Rofl. That is pure win.

Mind, it took me a couple of seconds to realise what the hell you were on about.

Love it.

Pepsi Max

HSC
I HAVE BEEN SAYING THAT SINCE I STARTED THE TOPIC. FINALLY SOMEONE AGREES WITH ME.

If only the Board of Studies decided to ask that question... first of state, easy :p

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
I believe there are modern stagings of it where he actually is.

herr0014

HSC
N/A
'

and skrzynecki, methinks.

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu-

i hate skrzynecki! He whinges about bugger all!

Also, Hamlet is possibly the ORIGINAL emo kid. If elsinore had a mall, he would be hanging around in it with a thomas the tank engine back pack on.

"'Tis not alone my inky cloak, goodmother,...
These are but the trappings and suits of woe."

He is wearing all black, a fair start to becoming an emo.
He also feels frustration at claudius, and has several You're-not-my-REAL-Dad! moments:

"A little more than kin, and less than kind."

Like most emos, Hamlet also isolates himself from those around him, and in his depression enters a state of melancholy which acts as a wall between him and society. He constructs this wall himself, and can only see his own problems, like selfish, extremely upper-class emo brat that he is.

Last edited:

badquinton304

HSC
Fuck hamlet I remember this last year, if I was in his position id harden the fuck up stab the king guy (he terk his jerb) and stab the queen (slut). Kill a few other things then become king of denmark.

herr0014

HSC
N/A
Fuck hamlet I remember this last year, if I was in his position id harden the fuck up stab the king guy (he terk his jerb) and stab the queen (slut). Kill a few other things then become king of denmark.

...and thats how babie are made.

cambridge-edu

HSC
Too right he's an emo!

Never seen the appeal of this play. Macbeth would have sorted this whole situation out before the end of act one.

At least the ending raises a chuckle.

brendroid

HSC
The crown prince of Denmark is not an emo, as we shall see in our analysis.

For starters, the term 'emo' is usually a term associated with fans of the emo music genre. As we are hopefully aware, this genre of music did not exist in medieval Denmark. Therefore, he cannot be seen as an emo in the modern sense.

On the other hand, he can be seen as a depressed, suicidal, bipolar, boderline insane character who Freud would absolutely love to death.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
the term 'emo' is usually a term associated with fans of the emo music genre
Not really. The emo music scene is one of harsh aggressive and lyrical heaviness. Most of what 'emo' kids listen to now is so watered down from this, it's essentially alternative rock with bad lyrics.

brendroid

HSC
I stand corrected on a point ^^ thanks for bringing that to my attention.

But still, the sub-culture of emoism is linked with the music scene, right? And that music scene did not exist in medieval Denmark. Therefore, Hamlet isn't an emo per se, but rather the depressed, bipolar, suicidal borderline, insane character I claimed he was earlier, right?

If I get a question like this in the HSC I want to be prepared lol

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
It is linked, but the usage of the term can be considered independent in many ways. i.e. Someone can be labelled as emo for their fashion and attitude, regardless of what they listen to.

Emo as an attitude still would have existed back then, it just didn't have the current label. Any argument for Hamlet as an emo would be based on attitude.

Additionally, you have to consider whether the surrouding events validate his behaviour, or whether his attitude is independent of what has happen. That would also determine his emo-ness. :)

brendroid

HSC
Surrounding events being his fathers death and the marriage of his mother to Claudius, which would be a valid reason for depression early in the play? Whereas if that hadn't happened and he was depressed for seemingly no reason, that'd be more leaning towards emo-ness? Yes or no?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)