The Reading Recommendations Thread (1 Viewer)

norez

HSC
Title- The Cellist Of Sarajevo
Author- Steven Galloway
Inspired by the Bosnian-Serb war. Explores the depravity of war from the eyes of three civilians. Left me stunned and shaking.

Title- A Thousand Splendid Suns
Author- Khaled Hosseini
Follows two women in the eras of war in Afghanistan. He writes in a beautiful and graceful style, and expresses everything beautifully.

Title- Orpheus Lost
Author- Janette Turner Hospital
Extremely well crafted. Amazingly so. Goodness, it's a piece of art. Read it. It's hard to summarise- follows the love between a sassy and obsessive mathemitician and a mysterious musician, and the external forces of terrorised New York that affect them. Much greater than it sounds. :)

KatherinAngelin

HSC
Read "Sasha" by Joel Shepherd and if you enjoy that then read the next one, "Petrodor". They combine the wit and strength of a swordstress and politics of the land without getting to overbearing. Amazing work from a great Aussie author. It's fantasy fiction by the way.

JTwin

HSC
Title: The Bartimaeus Trilogy,
1. Amulet of Samarkand
2. The Golems Eye
3.Ptolemey's Gate
Author: Johnathon Stroud
Genre: Alternate History
Medium: Fiction
Why You Should Read It: Magicians basically rule Europe and magicians are the not very honourable people that you see in HP, they would do anything for power, they have magic but their main power lies in summoning spirits, like Djinns, Afrits etc. Stroud makes it very believable in a fictious book. Johnathon Stroud writes really good. Alot of humour in it and also very deep messages and the politics is intriguing.
agreed. also,
Title: The Seer and the Sword
Author: Victoria Hanley
Genre: Adventure, little bit of romance
Medium: Fiction
Why You Should Read It: It hooks you in straight away. It has all the great aspects- little bit of magic (mostly just fortune telling- der, seer), fighting, humour, romance (but not ewy or anything) and murder.

angela6707

HSC
Title: Plain Truth
Author: Jodi Picoult
Genre: ..?
Medium (fiction, non-fiction, novel, novella, poetry, biography etc): fiction
Why You Should Read It: This book is great for improving your vocabulary and the storyline is quite interesting.

2011_

HSC
Title: Plain Truth
Author: Jodi Picoult
Genre: ..?
Why You Should Read It: This book is great for improving your vocabulary and the storyline is quite interesting.
I love this book too. I have just finished a classic, Austen's "Sense and Sensibility". Some books just never get old or outdated, I loved it.

Pelicanxo

HSC
Title: Percy Jackson and the Olympians (series)
Author: Rick Riordan
Genre: Action, adventure, fantasy, and whatever genre "twists everywhere" fits under
Medium (fiction, non-fiction, novel, novella, poetry, biography etc): Fiction
Why You Should Read It:
Probably my favourite series. It's pretty much based around Greek mythology (which is in itself a reason to read them!) and the demigods of society (half mortal, half god). These demigods receive a "Quest", in which the book is focused on. Percy Jackson; the main protagonist, is usually the one who receives these quests. But anyway, the books are a very good read, and I highly recommend them to everyone.

Demento1

Philosopher.
HSC
I'm not sure if someone has already mentioned this book but I would definitely recommend it.

Title: 1984
Author: George Orwell
Genre: Science Fiction (dystopian)
Why You Should Read It: This book is definitely worth giving a read over not only because it's a HSC text, but it's also a lot more then that. It talks about a very interesting future where the people are governed by one person and they're beaten and tortured until they accept the status of the government. It allows us to compare and contrast our own society and gives us the opportunity to view our world within a very open perspective which many imaginative journeys provide us with.

Papercutter

HSC
Title: The Mazerunner
Author: James Dashner
Genre:dystopian, futuristic, sci-if
Why You Should Read It: Definitely a thrilling series, I recommend reading the entire trilogy as it is absolutely amazing. It's a bit different from the film but it's also different from other books. most books tend to build on a climax, a point where the major problem is revealed/solved, The mazerunner constantly keeps you in action and suspense so every chapter is like a cliffhanger. It makes you become attached to the characters as well and plays on emotions, especially fear and sadness. Great book for everyone!

Title: Angels and Demons
Author: Dan Brown
Genre: Mystery-thriller
Why You Should Read It: similar to the other book, Angels and Demons is chock full of mystery, puzzles and it's basically a good find for enigmatic readers!

dirty_ink

HSC
Title: The Silkworm
Author: Robert Galbraith
Genre: Crime
Why You Should Read It: Loads of plot twists and the characters are memorable and likeable - even those seeming antagonists. Clever novel, really.

YTRewqNEss

HSC
Title:Rainbow Six
Author:Tom Clancy
Genre:Action/Military
Medium (fiction, non-fiction, novel, novella, poetry, biography etc):Fiction
Why You Should Read It:Amazing, non stop, and detailed action. Great plot, setting based on real life making it eerily realistic, along with Clancy's all-knowing nature on everything he writes about. My favourite book of all time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)