The Sciences Subjects (1 Viewer)

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
Which sciences are you doing?
In my year, only physics, biology and chemistry are availible and about 75-85% of us doing science. Many of us doing two but there are a single-digit number of students doing all three- bio, chem, phys.

HSC
at baulko we were offered phys chem and bio and earth + enviro, but earth and enviro got scrapped cos the teacher who taught it left...

i do all three scis, phys chem and bio...and i think in my grade there are quite a few doing the same as me =)

scroogle

HSC
N/A
I'm doing chem + phy, but I'm going to drop phy at the end of yr11. Biology just doesn't interest me.

gwendolin

HSC
Our school offered earth and enviro, senior science, bio, chem and physics.

Earth and enviro got scrapped due to lack of interest.

I'm doing bio. I did have chem done as a preference, but I didn't get it- something that I don't mind too much about, to be honest.

Boxxxhead

Local hairy ethnic man
HSC
Umm all 5 were offered at my school, I think, but only Phys, Chem and Bio had any classes this year. I picked Chemistry coz my parents said I should do a Science subject (I came like 5th in the grade 1st semester) but I dropped it. I didn't like the theory, and mark wise was my worst subject (Even though I still did okay). I would have done Biology coz I do very well in that segment of Science and I don't find the work boring or anything, but when the timetables were constructed, that was on the same line as Extension English/Maths, which I would have rather taken.

Last edited:

Emma-Jayde

Muahahahaha
HSC
Chem, Phys, EES, Bio and Senior Science were offered, only SS didn't run. There's 2 bio classes and one each of the others.
I do chem and phys, and would have done agricultre if the school had offered it but it didn't. Well, we don't have an ag farm anyway....

HSC
we were offered EES, SS, phys, chem & bio... theres 3 bio classes (2 on the same line) 1 SS, 1phys, and 1 chem, EES got scrapped due to lack of interest...
i do phys chem and bio, but considering scrapping chem

MuffinMan

Juno 15/4/08 :)
HSC
i do physics + chem
its up to you - what do u want to do later at uni?
cause if u do medical i suggest u do bio as well
for engineering i think u only need chem and phys
think about what you want to do first beforehand :)
hope it helps :)

HSC
if u want to do medicine u'll definitely need chem and apparently they prefer physics to biology....no idea why..and correct me if i'm wrong

gwendolin

HSC
-neurosurgeon- said:
if u want to do medicine u'll definitely need chem and apparently they prefer physics to biology....no idea why..and correct me if i'm wrong
Physics is used in many aspects of medicine.

High school bio, on the other hand, isn't so much the sort of biology that's used in most medicine courses.

HSC
gwendolin said:

High school bio, on the other hand, isn't so much the sort of biology that's used in most medicine courses.
cool thanks gwendolin! =)

P

pLuvia

gwendolin said:

Last edited by a moderator:

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
Chemistry helps you with some concepts in physics ( like things thats got to do with atoms or radioactivity)

P

pLuvia

Smart_Dunce said:
Chemistry helps you with some concepts in physics ( like things thats got to do with atoms or radioactivity)
does it help wif pharmacy and stuff liek that?

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
I'd say yes- chemistry will help in all engineering and medical-related stuff

HSC
N/A
to be honest...don't do bio! it sux heaps...i don't do it but its pretty crap..does nothing for your uai...a lot of memory.. and you don't need it for med.
i suggest phys and chem, really easy! plus lots of resources available

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
The Science Subjects-what they are and what you can do with them:

BIOLOGY-Biology is a study of the way living things function and why. Within the core of this course you will look at ecology, drugs, organ transplants, the heart, the kidneys, blood, urine, DNA, epidemiology, the theory of evolution and the photosynthesis of plants just to name a few things. In the options you will gain the opportunity to study one of the following; how creatures communicate including such things as the structure of eyes, ears and vocal cords or biotechnology, where you will investigate the technologies involved in biology such as artificial insemination and transgenics or you will look at the biochemistry of photosynthesis in plants or you will study genetics in depth, looking at how we pass on traits and features or you will study how humanity has evolved from his prehistoric state to what he is today by look at things like anatomy and bone structure. This course will blend quite well with the outcomes of Earth&Environmental Science, Chemistry and Senior Science. Also in conjunction with Chemistry it is considered a suitable background for many scientific studies including Medicine, Veterinary Science and Pharmacy.

CHEMISTRY - Chemistry is a study of how elements and compounds interact to form the complex reactions in the world around us, as well as those we produce ourselves. In the core of this course you will look at the classification of elements&compounds, atoms, the atmosphere, valency and bonding, the history of metals, the mole concept, hydrogen bonding, solubility, water's relationship with heat, hydrocarbons, renewable fuel, batteries, nuclear chemistry, acids in the environment, esters, the synthesis of ammonia, water pollution just to name a few things. In the options you will gain the opportunity to study one of the following; industrial chemistry which includes studying the roduction of sulfuric acid, the making of soaps and detergents and the Solvay process or an indepth study of corrosion and its prevention or a look at the biochemical reactions of movement or a study on how forensic investigators employ chemistry in a variety of ways for example blood analysis or the chemicals involved in paints and dyes as well as other areas of art. This course would blend quite well with Biology or Physics and does require a limited degree of mathematical capability. Chemistry as a subject is generally considered reccomended background for the lion's share of science subjects at uni not to mention a great deal of engineering courses, and when taken in conjuction with Biology or Physics it provides an excellent background for such courses as Medicine, Veterinary Science and Pharmacy.

PHYSICS- Physics is a study of motion, force, waves and fields whether they be magnetic, electrical or gravitational. In the core of this course you will look at velocity and acceleration and learn how to explain them scientifically, you will look at how gravity affects the motion of objects, how sound works, the orbits of planetary bodies, motors and generators, how current flows, the photoelectric effect, and cathode rays among other things. In the options you will investigate one of the following; the physics involved in geology or the study of physics as it relates to medicine such as ultrasound, x-rays and MRI scans or you will study the physics of the stars and the galaxy or you will study atomic theory and quanta and so on or an indepth study into electronics and transistors. This course would blend quite well with Chemistry, Cosmology, Engineering Studies and Mathematics, it also requires a limited degree of competence in maths. Physics is a subject which is a useful foundation for a large amount of science and engineering courses in university, and when taken in conjunction with Chemistry is an excellent background for Medicine.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)