The Shire (1 Viewer)

Kittikhun

HSC
Re: "The shire"

Meh, I see those kinds of people on nearly every day when I go out, and I dislike them, so, like all the crap on TEN, I won't be watching it.

pony_magician

townie for worst user
HSC

though to be fair, it's not hard to be better than jersey shore.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A

Anyone watch it? Similar to the original; different; better; worse?

Parvee

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
HSC
Wasted 30mins of my life watching that crap... :lol:

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
It was beyond terrible
I've heard it gives off a real air of being scripted. Any truth to that? I mean, it's probably not, but it's always been a really interesting criticism of reality TV. And especially when applied to improvisation style shows like "Spicks and Specks" and I guess most critically, "Whose Line is it Anyway".

mirakon

nigga
HSC
It certainly is quite scripted. Its pretty much a poor man's home and away with real people instead of professional actors and actresses

Roy216

HSC
I've heard it gives off a real air of being scripted. Any truth to that? I mean, it's probably not, but it's always been a really interesting criticism of reality TV. And especially when applied to improvisation style shows like "Spicks and Specks" and I guess most critically, "Whose Line is it Anyway".
It is scripted, i watched 10 minutes of it, felt like i was watching some poorly scripted youtube video

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Given its ridiculous amount of hype, I actually decided to checked it out of curiosity just to see what the fuss and controversy was all about. Only watched about 10 minutes of it but there were some of the silliest discussions I had ever seen (probably to be expected based on the ads). I remember one of the plastic chicks saying she would rather die than not have any lips...lol. It definitely appeals to a particular demographic, but to claim that this is what people in the Shire are typically like...no wonder the mayor is up in arms about it.

I've never watched Jersey Shore, so I can't really say anything regarding comparisons though. It would be interesting to see how this show goes in terms of ratings, particularly once we get past the initial hype.

Last edited:

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
The premise on the wikipedia sounds like a scripted drama:

"The series follows the story of a 24-year-old nightclub singer who spent 12 months living in Los Angeles trying to kickstart a pop music career but is now back in town, reconnecting with friends"

Apparently one of the people went through the same uni course (Creative Arts) as an actor that I do now, but I have no idea who or when.

mirakon

nigga
HSC
I think the smh tv guide described it as dramality iirc i.e. A drama with some connection to real life. Pretty much scripting a drama around real life situations

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Which is an interesting approach I think. You can do a lot with this type of scripting method, and I think it's a shame that they've undersold it the way they have. I mean obviously they're targeting the Jersey Shore spin-off market, but it would be interesting to see a more drama-orientation approach.

TheBloop

HSC
It certainly is quite scripted. Its pretty much a poor man's home and away with real people instead of professional actors and actresses
It is scripted, i watched 10 minutes of it, felt like i was watching some poorly scripted youtube video
I agree a lot.

Given its ridiculous amount of hype, I actually decided to checked it out of curiosity just to see what the fuss and controversy was all about. Only watched about 10 minutes of it but there were some of the silliest discussions I had ever seen (probably to be expected based on the ads). I remember one of the plastic chicks saying she would rather die than not have any lips...lol. It definitely appeals to a particular demographic, but to claim that this is what people in the Shire are typically like...no wonder the mayor is up in arms about it.

I've never watched Jersey Shore, so I can't really say anything regarding comparisons though. It would be interesting to see how this show goes in terms of ratings, particularly once we get past the initial hype.
I love those sluts! Lol. They're like the cut-away comedy and they're stupid as fuck and just irritating, I love that shit. I'll keep watching it just for them, everyone else just seemed like they were trying to not be horrible but actually were horrible, whereas I think they're put there to be horrible.

Also, that blond chick and her gay friends make me want to punch things.
And they were trying to make her friends bitchy but they were so not doing it right. Sluts.

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
Watched about 6 minutes of it and turned it off. One of those shows that is completely irritating and impossible to put up with.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Read a few reviews and some of them make an interesting point. The Shire seems to be far too tame to appeal to Jersey Shore fans. In other words, despite the 'trashiness' there isn't enough interest or controversy to keep the drama alive (which apparently kept the Jersey Shore running for so long) yet it has the right characters to do so.
http://www.news.com.au/entertainmen...-a-sobering-show/story-e6frfmyi-1226427265715

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
SMH poll described it as a national disgrace. YES. Perfect wording.

Also saw a tweet that was shown in the SMH stating something to the effect of "those who watched the shire deserved it". Lol, indeed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)