The Stress is Overrated (1 Viewer)

sideshowtim

HSC
seriously.

when i came into the hsc i thought this was going to be the most stressful time of my life. it's been quite enjoyable for me actually. i keep hearing about how this is the hardest time of your life but over the last few weeks i've learnt alot, done pretty well in my exams and i'm happy about it. maybe it's just the kind of person i am, i'm sort of laid back but wow...the hsc isn't half as bad as everyone makes it out to be.

ane_st

HSC
Yea i agree with you... I stress over EVERYTHING!!! And i've been pretty ok during these exams, i think cause they're so spaced out and at this point all you want to do is finish them already!!!

And my parents have been really good in supporting me and just encouraging my to do my best...

sinist4

HSC
yea man ... bloody hell, it feels like any other day. if not less stressful lol
and im not the kinda person that doesnt kare about the hsc too ... but the "HSC" hype that surrounds it hasnt even made me stress half as much as i did in my trials hahaha.

is this all the hsc has to offer...:(

passion89

HSC
I agree - I have my physics exam this friday and I haven't really touched it :(

The stress isn't as bad as I thought it would be (which is a plus woo).

Cheer up, Bookie, a 98 is in reach :)

DeathB4Life

Bánned
HSC
i think it feels stressful just knowing that you have work to do.

all it takes is a hard days study or two and alot of the "omg im going to fail" stress seems to go away

Guernica

HSC
I actually wish I was a little more stressed than I am. The fact that I'm so calm makes me feel uneasy... I think stress would motivate me.

*Ninny-mole*

The Power Is Yours...
HSC
Well, I didn't really feel too stressed before the english exams but I don't usually get that stressed over them anyways. But I haven't been feeling well for the past 2 days and have done nothing. The stress has definately started to kick in, but unfortunately the motivation hasn't.

purplepixie

HSC
I haven't been feeling well either :|
Though usually I am a laid back person. After every exam it has felt like my head was about to explode.
Today was my first 3 hour exam and I felt like I was going to collapse towards the end or something.
So that kinda adds to the stress but further demotivates me.

I hate the hsc.

HSC
how can u not be stressed? so much content..so little time..

the sooner this is all over the better

much respect to the non-stressers out there!

Keith Adrian

HSC
i wish i was stressed.. i perform alot better under stress and do more work. Without stress i just find myself going...

i should study now.... meh later

i get half as much as i could done -_-

Bookie

Banned
HSC
passion89 said:
I agree - I have my physics exam this friday and I haven't really touched it

The stress isn't as bad as I thought it would be (which is a plus woo).

Cheer up, Bookie, a 98 is in reach
hey liverpool librarian
lol no 98 is not in reach. my most wishful would be a 97.

T-mac01

HSC
N/A
sideshowtim said:
seriously.

when i came into the hsc i thought this was going to be the most stressful time of my life. it's been quite enjoyable for me actually. i keep hearing about how this is the hardest time of your life but over the last few weeks i've learnt alot, done pretty well in my exams and i'm happy about it. maybe it's just the kind of person i am, i'm sort of laid back but wow...the hsc isn't half as bad as everyone makes it out to be.
It seems to me that you're not from any of the student background below.
1. city based, highly ranked highschool
2. asian-like parents or strictly british mum type of parents
3. the opposite of failure, meaning aiming to achieve at least 90+
4. want to be a successful lawyer, doctor, engineer, CEO, etc.

So what you consider as doing well might be a definite failure for others who are being stressed out.
It's also not so much about the exams that make everyone nervous, it's the daily, weekly and monthly tasks that need to be completed...ON TIME that is!

So this might give you an idea of why people take it so excessively serious. Of course, a genius might not find any difficulty in nailing the HSC, but 90% of students who are trying to get 90 to 95+ would've worked really hard.
I doubt you're a genius, so your laid back effort won't result in anything commendable.

Hudson

HSC
T-mac01 said:
So this might give you an idea of why people take it so excessively serious. Of course, a genius might not find any difficulty in nailing the HSC, but 90% of students who are trying to get 90 to 95+ would've worked really hard.
I doubt you're a genius, so your laid back effort won't result in anything commendable.
So, basically the majority of students who aren't aiming for 90%+ don't work really hard? That's a load of bullshit. Every student is different in both skill and circumstances. You will find many students who struggle to fit HSC study in due to pressing outside commitments -- they might not get 90%+, but damnit if they didn't work as hard or if not harder than somebody who did.

I also take issue with what you deem as a "commendable" performance. A student doesn't need to get a whole heap of Band 6s and 5s to have done really well in the HSC. In my mind and the mind of most others, a commendable performance is getting where you want to be in the HSC. Whether that goal is a UAI of 70 or 98, it doesn't really matter; it's still a commendable performance if you reach that goal.

Really, I think it's time to step of your high-horse because that attitude isn't going to serve you well in university.

hazaar

Greenie
HSC
I couldn't agree more!
The HSC is what you make it.
If you don't see the HSC as the be all and end all in life, everything should be fine and dandy. There are always alternate ways to do what you want in life.
I do agree however that the HSC system is faulty and needs to change.
It's just an exam, hopefully what you have achieved/done throughout your schooling life has given you a sense of fulfilment. A fulfilment which transcends the media's protracted/fabricated image of stress.

Last edited:

T-mac01

HSC
N/A
Hudson said:
So, basically the majority of students who aren't aiming for 90%+ don't work really hard? That's a load of bullshit. Every student is different in both skill and circumstances. You will find many students who struggle to fit HSC study in due to pressing outside commitments -- they might not get 90%+, but damnit if they didn't work as hard or if not harder than somebody who did.

I also take issue with what you deem as a "commendable" performance. A student doesn't need to get a whole heap of Band 6s and 5s to have done really well in the HSC. In my mind and the mind of most others, a commendable performance is getting where you want to be in the HSC. Whether that goal is a UAI of 70 or 98, it doesn't really matter; it's still a commendable performance if you reach that goal.

Really, I think it's time to step of your high-horse because that attitude isn't going to serve you well in university.
I know heaps of people inside and outside my highschool who are doing music, sport, theatre studies etc. as their outside commitments and still managed to get 95 pluses. Of course, I understand special circumstances like professional student atheletes who take most of their time training. Those numbers only come at a few. The rest of us are just too lazy and use "outside commitments" as an excuse.

If you ask people around uni which is stupid, you will find a lot of 80 to 90s people almost slept their way through their HSC. In fact there is a trend that some really lazy but bright people end up getting scores below 95+ and into the mid 80s. So therefore, a lot of them didn't work that hard. Another reason for this might be because of a serious number of people being over confident with their own abilities and didn't start working hard until it's running late. You hear a lot of guys say I'll get somewhere around 96/7 or even 99 and when the scores came out, all they got was an 85.

Also, I didn't mean that the entire student population who got below the 90s each year didn't work hard. It's just that most of us on average would have the same ability and those that excelled have worked harder than those that didn't do as well. Simple as that. You might stuff your English exam up and even though this is possible, most of the time it's because those guys didn't prepare properly.

Your view of commendable performance just sounds so corny to me. That's all.

sideshowtim

HSC
T-mac01 said:
laid back effort? you stupid, stupid fuck. i am studying hard but i'm not letting the pressure get to me. are you trying to say that you HAVE to be stressed to do well in the hsc?

if i get the mark i want i'll be happy with that.

T-mac01

HSC
N/A
sideshowtim said:
laid back effort? you stupid, stupid fuck. i am studying hard but i'm not letting the pressure get to me. are you trying to say that you HAVE to be stressed to do well in the hsc?

if i get the mark i want i'll be happy with that.
what mark do you want to get?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)