The Stress is Overrated (1 Viewer)

Anonymou5

HSC
N/A
T-mac01 said:
Specifically, which of my views have you been disagreeing with? I would be interested to know.
Well nothing much really, most of the time you probably aren't serious anyway. Although one thing in particular which I don't agree with, is your view of melbourne uni students.

idiot said:
just because u have no life outside of this forum and the hsc doesnt mean other people dont. To some people consistent study just doesnt happen...but i bet my bottom dollar i could cram my ass off better than you can study all year!

i cant wait till you make it to uni next year, what a slap in the face that will be for u! now grow the hell up and get down off you high horse!
Uh I think he is already in uni.

And there are lots of people who have lives outside of study and still get high scores. Thus, outside commitments are not valid excuses for incompetence. You can have a life outside of study, lots of people do, but if you obtain a low UAI it means that you don't know how to manage your time. Besides, what kind of a loser would use "outside commitments" as an excuse for low scores? I mean, what do you expect? A high score without having to put in any effort? Unless you're extremely talented that just won't happen. Reality check.

Last edited:

Eusebius

Oxford Member
HSC
Does anyone know when the Extension Two major works will be marked, or if they've been marked already. I know its abit off topic.

any ideas???

T-mac01

HSC
N/A
featherplucker said:
dude t-mac..ur an absoloute jerk! who are you to pass judgement on how other people have gone in their preperational time!? your a student just like everybody else here, only you find it that you can be above everybody else an pass judgement on things you dont even know! i give my respect to the people here that try their asses off and still dont do well, theyve got it the hardest out of everybody, people who do study and walk away witha a high uai have something to say for their efforts, what about those who dont get that uai they want? i think you should shut the hell up and stop barking over other peoples efforts. And yes YOU ARE WRONG. You make generalisations about how effective certain methods of preperation, and how a certain "niche" of people eg asian parent students, brit mums have it hard. Im sure they do, but back the hell up and remember the other 50,000 people doing this exam that have parents who care too! it is by far not tru that only a "few" can use the excuse of outside commitments as hindering their preperation and exam performance, many do! just because u have no life outside of this forum and the hsc doesnt mean other people dont. To some people consistent study just doesnt happen...but i bet my bottom dollar i could cram my ass off better than you can study all year!

i cant wait till you make it to uni next year, what a slap in the face that will be for u! now grow the hell up and get down off you high horse!
That's right, I do believe you can cram better than me. I would think so too.
Please, use your tenses properly. I had no life during HSC. That's part of the reason why I consider my effort over reaches the level of others and some of my collegues. It's called sacrifice. Btw, these points you've raised really add little credits to your argument. It just further shows people who "cram" don't make enough effort. HSC is not an overnight thing.

"I can't wait till you make it to uni next year, what a slap in the face that will be for you"
I don't even know what you mean by that. Are you trying to say if I don't make it to uni? If so, I'm already at uni. And it's not really that hard to just make it to uni. Boy!

T-mac01

HSC
N/A
Anonymou5 said:
Well nothing much really, most of the time you probably aren't serious anyway. Although one thing in particular which I don't agree with, is your view of melbourne uni students.

Uh I think he is already in uni.

And there are lots of people who have lives outside of study and still get high scores. Thus, outside commitments are not valid excuses for incompetence. You can have a life outside of study, lots of people do, but if you obtain a low UAI it means that you don't know how to manage your time. Besides, what kind of a loser would use "outside commitments" as an excuse for low scores? I mean, what do you expect? A high score without having to put in any effort? Unless you're extremely talented that just won't happen. Reality check.
Huh? I thought that thread has been banned!
Anyway, I have reasons for my views. And I would be interested to know your views too on this one.

Anonymou5

HSC
N/A
Well every uni has its fair share of asswipes but from my experience, the people at melbourne are not any different from those at other unis. Perhaps you just ran into the asswipes? Even if that's the case, they're not representative of everyone. But yeah, that thread was deleted.

nahian

HSC
Eusebius,
They've already been marked-ALL of them
All you gotta do now is wait

myeewyee

HSC
T-mac01 said:
It seems to me that you're not from any of the student background below.
1. city based, highly ranked highschool
2. asian-like parents or strictly british mum type of parents
3. the opposite of failure, meaning aiming to achieve at least 90+
4. want to be a successful lawyer, doctor, engineer, CEO, etc.

So what you consider as doing well might be a definite failure for others who are being stressed out.
It's also not so much about the exams that make everyone nervous, it's the daily, weekly and monthly tasks that need to be completed...ON TIME that is!
@T-mac:

What UAI did you get/What uni/What course? I'm interested.
Why is failure <90? Are you a failure if you're not in the top 16% (which is what 90uai equates to)?

I think your argument definitely applies for the top (ie 99.xx) students. But how many courses require 99+? If people want to be doctors or lawyers, then fair enough - stress. Stress hard. Unfortunately, success does not equal a law/medicine degree, and vice versa ;)

All 4 of those sweeping generalisations you so smugly assumed above apply to me (well, actually that depends on whether you meant inner-city or just city). I know a LOT of people who will easily get in the high 90s and who, like me, think that the HSC is pretty much a letdown for such a long buildup of anticipation. Today, I played guitar and my gf came over. I'm not stressing, because its not worth stressing about; I'm a crammer, and I do it pretty well.

I'm personally aiming for 98; I need 95 for the scholarships I applied for (3 interviews scheduled so far) - but what the fuck does it matter? I only need 83 to go down the exact same career path! You made a comment about people's expectations being much higher than their actual results - well, if you wanna shout that back at me do so. I'll get back to you in two months.

Great contradiction there by the way, if you aim for less than 90 you're a dirty failure - but its ok - you can still be a successful engineer with 80 UAI!

I had no life during HSC. That's part of the reason why I consider my effort over reaches the level of others and some of my collegues. It's called sacrifice.
TBH I think you're trying to justify a vacuous and unhappy stage of your life to us. I could make more wild guesses about your background, and summarise them as 4 generalised & contradictory points. But I won't bother, its already been done once in this thread.

T-mac01

HSC
N/A
myeewyee said:
@T-mac:

What UAI did you get/What uni/What course? I'm interested.
Why is failure <90? Are you a failure if you're not in the top 16% (which is what 90uai equates to)?

I think your argument definitely applies for the top (ie 99.xx) students. But how many courses require 99+? If people want to be doctors or lawyers, then fair enough - stress. Stress hard. Unfortunately, success does not equal a law/medicine degree, and vice versa ;)

All 4 of those sweeping generalisations you so smugly assumed above apply to me (well, actually that depends on whether you meant inner-city or just city). I know a LOT of people who will easily get in the high 90s and who, like me, think that the HSC is pretty much a letdown for such a long buildup of anticipation. Today, I played guitar and my gf came over. I'm not stressing, because its not worth stressing about; I'm a crammer, and I do it pretty well.

I'm personally aiming for 98; I need 95 for the scholarships I applied for (3 interviews scheduled so far) - but what the fuck does it matter? I only need 83 to go down the exact same career path! You made a comment about people's expectations being much higher than their actual results - well, if you wanna shout that back at me do so. I'll get back to you in two months.

Great contradiction there by the way, if you aim for less than 90 you're a dirty failure - but its ok - you can still be a successful engineer with 80 UAI!

TBH I think you're trying to justify a vacuous and unhappy stage of your life to us. I could make more wild guesses about your background, and summarise them as 4 generalised & contradictory points. But I won't bother, its already been done once in this thread.
I've set the failure mark to 90 based on the mark you need to get to courses such as engineering, etc. Since engineering is one of the lowest scores you need to get out of all the courses like med, law, etc, apart from science and arts. Of course, different unis would vary to my uni.

You should also notice that my description of failure is only on HSC performance and not the success of your future career. Yes, I agree it does not definitely groove your career path nicely.

All I was thinking at the time when I posted was how some people underestimate what it means for people to really try and succeed among all students graduating each year. I know only a few people that seem to try but hardly scores well. However, it's enough to see a pattern, which is their pain threshold in trying.

For example, I know this classmate whose mum always say he's been working hard lately and blablabla. But from what I've observed, for him to try hard is to sit in front of his desk lazily trying to figure out what the book or topic he's reading is all about. If he can't get it on the first go, he would go and grab something in the fridge to cool it off. So 2 hours later, he would still be doing the samething. And when his mum comes back from work, he would tell her how he's been studying for two hours. The point is, he doesn't seem to have a long attention span. It's just hard to say if he's really tried but suffers some ADD like illness.

Another example would be someone who claim they're trying but goes to clubs on the following night, and the night after and so on. And I rarely know anyone who got good scores studying like that. Actually, I know none. In fact, the people who say they are not trying might be the one who tries the most. Yes, we've all seen people like that.

I also know the difference between trying on subject and the one which I haven't. My worst subject was English. I totally screwed it up even though I felt I have tried. That was 2 weeks before the exam where I really looked at my texts properly. But I've crammed hard in those two weeks on it. However, it just didn't reflect it in my exam. So I think people who said they tried meant they've tried a month or two before the exam. And this chick posted before me gave it an example. She said I studied 10 hours the day before. Yea, like that's going to help. The sad thing is, she still doesn't seem to get the fact that trying the day before won't improve anything.

The other thing you've pointed out is people's studying habits. You're probably one of those quick witted type of students. So it would be easy for you to study subjects like legal studies where things can be retained easily within a short amount of time. And it wouldn't suprise me if you're good at math and physics either.
For the rest of us which is more than not, to get a mark like 97 98 would need more time to study. This may not mean the rest of us are stupid. It's just that we learn differently. So in reality, I'm speaking for those who have average abilities but managed to achieve great results from their keeness, perserverence, and mind to go through hardships.

Lastly, I think people look upon the HSC so nervously that they would always be less stressed than they would actually be on the day of the exam. It's a bit like the few minutes before you're about to walk onto a real game of basketball. You're always feeling nervous the most at that time but when you actually starts playing, everything becomes natural even though it is just as intense.

So my point is, because some of them still think their scores determine their success in the HSC, they shouldn't think they've succeeded with a shit ass 70 UAI. That's what some of the guys were implying. Maybe they didn't specifically mentioned it but you'll feel what they're thinking.

T-mac01

HSC
N/A
And regarding your question.
I got 97 for VCE. I did extremely shit for English. But luckily I was fortunate enough to have 2 maths, physics and a second language to save my ass.
I can't really tell you what course I'm doing. That will just give away too easily although I can tell you I'm studying at a mediocre uni doing a combined degree but on a partial scholarship. Yea, you're probably wondering why I would try so hard if only I wanted to go to a mediocre uni, well i only realised on the last minute that brand names don't matter don't matter and so an atmosphere and lifestyle would give me a greater satisfaction during uni.

Ennaybur

HSC
N/A
T-mac01 said:
And regarding your question.
I got 97 for VCE. I did extremely shit for English. But luckily I was fortunate enough to have 2 maths, physics and a second language to save my ass.
I can't really tell you what course I'm doing. That will just give away too easily although I can tell you I'm studying at a mediocre uni doing a combined degree but on a partial scholarship. Yea, you're probably wondering why I would try so hard if only I wanted to go to a mediocre uni, well i only realised on the last minute that brand names don't matter don't matter and so an atmosphere and lifestyle would give me a greater satisfaction during uni.
lol to name and av

*Ninny-mole*

The Power Is Yours...
HSC
T-mac01 said:
Another example would be someone who claim they're trying but goes to clubs on the following night, and the night after and so on. And I rarely know anyone who got good scores studying like that. Actually, I know none. In fact, the people who say they are not trying might be the one who tries the most. Yes, we've all seen people like that.
So, T-mac, do you think that for people to actually be trying hard, they have to have no life? Have you thought that the hours they spend going to clubs and hanging out with friends might just constitute their study break? At the moment I don't have a social life, in fact, I haven't had one for most of Year 12. But I wouldn't say that my friends who go out every weekend aren't trying. they work their asses off during the week and deserve to have time off.

T-mac01 said:
I also know the difference between trying on subject and the one which I haven't. My worst subject was English. I totally screwed it up even though I felt I have tried. That was 2 weeks before the exam where I really looked at my texts properly. But I've crammed hard in those two weeks on it. However, it just didn't reflect it in my exam. So I think people who said they tried meant they've tried a month or two before the exam. And this chick posted before me gave it an example. She said I studied 10 hours the day before. Yea, like that's going to help. The sad thing is, she still doesn't seem to get the fact that trying the day before won't improve anything.
That was me you asswipe. And to clarify, I didn't only study with one day to go. I studied alot for that test and subject throughout the year, including the 10 hours the day before, and I didn't go well.

T-mac01 said:
So my point is, because some of them still think their scores determine their success in the HSC, they shouldn't think they've succeeded with a shit ass 70 UAI. That's what some of the guys were implying. Maybe they didn't specifically mentioned it but you'll feel what they're thinking
That is a very, very narrow-minded view on success.
So T-mac, people who spend hours each week during the school year, consistently working on assignments, homework and study notes, yet only manage a "shit ass 70 UAI", haven't tried at all? Is that what you are saying? It's not like it hasn't happened before. I know of a girl who studies hard (and consistently) yet didn't get over 70% on any test for that subject. Your view is fucked. If that's not what your saying, sorry, but can you word your sentences so that they make sense. I can't fully understand what you mean at times.

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly' - Robert Kennedy.

T-mac01

HSC
N/A
*Ninny-mole* said:
So, T-mac, do you think that for people to actually be trying hard, they have to have no life? Have you thought that the hours they spend going to clubs and hanging out with friends might just constitute their study break? At the moment I don't have a social life, in fact, I haven't had one for most of Year 12. But I wouldn't say that my friends who go out every weekend aren't trying. they work their asses off during the week and deserve to have time off.

That was me you asswipe. And to clarify, I didn't only study with one day to go. I studied alot for that test and subject throughout the year, including the 10 hours the day before, and I didn't go well.

So T-mac, people who spend hours each week during the school year, consistently working on assignments, homework and study notes, yet only manage a "shit ass 70 UAI", haven't tried at all? Is that what you are saying? It's not like it hasn't happened before. I know of a girl who studies hard (and consistently) yet didn't get over 70% on any test for that subject. Your view is fucked. If that's not what your saying, sorry, but can you word your sentences so that they make sense. I can't fully understand what you mean at times.

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly' - Robert Kennedy.
There are lots of things you wouldn't understand.

*Ninny-mole*

The Power Is Yours...
HSC
^ hmmm... yeah, I suppose you are right...
I don't understand why you have to be a narrow-minded, obnoxious, shithead...
I don't understand why you think you are smarter than other people on bos when you can't even write using proper grammer...
I don't understand why you consider yourself a success just because you got a 97(?) VCE, and go to a shit uni (probably doing a dumb ass course, but you won't tell anyone what it is)...
I don't understand why you think that people who don't get a UAI over 70 are failures, or why you think getting a UAI less than 90 isn't trying hard...
AND, I don't understand you're logic because it is stupid and irrational...

So, would you care to reply (without insult) to my earlier post because I would like to understand what you mean, or the reasoning behind why you think what you think?

dagwoman

Welcome to My Lair
HSC
N/A
Law #547 of Internet Forum Insults:

Thou shalt not accuse one of poor grammar while spelling the word "grammer" and misusing "you're".

T-mac01

HSC
N/A
*Ninny-mole* said:
^ hmmm... yeah, I suppose you are right...
I don't understand why you have to be a narrow-minded, obnoxious, shithead...
I don't understand why you think you are smarter than other people on bos when you can't even write using proper grammer...
I don't understand why you consider yourself a success just because you got a 97(?) VCE, and go to a shit uni (probably doing a dumb ass course, but you won't tell anyone what it is)...
I don't understand why you think that people who don't get a UAI over 70 are failures, or why you think getting a UAI less than 90 isn't trying hard...
AND, I don't understand you're logic because it is stupid and irrational...

So, would you care to reply (without insult) to my earlier post because I would like to understand what you mean, or the reasoning behind why you think what you think?
hahaha lady! You are the one who's been throwing all the in your face insults. Guess you should be open minded enough to see that.
I'm being a "shithead" because I find reactions coming from chicks like you hilarious.
The reason I choose not to reveal my course is pretty obvious since my comments are considered to be shithead like. I certainly don't want anyone around me think I'm a shithead.
Also, my previous comments never suggested that I think I'm smarter than everyone. Maybe that's why you did shit coz of poor analytical skills. Personally, I think you have an interpretation ability of a 14 year old, to be realistic.
Maybe the reason I screwed up English is because I suck at English. Have you ever considered that this could be a direct relationship? Anyway, I can't judge on my poor standard of English grammar. I leave some of the English wiz to correct me if any of them stop by. I would be surprised if you bothered studying grammar properly anyway. Aussies just don't care about English grammar.
Anyhow, I really should give up on even trying to make you understand anything. It just seems hopeless. But since you've requested, I just want to add a few things.
1. Usually people who get below 70 don't try, even for some of the 80s/90s people. I know a handful of them from highschool.
2. You don't understand because you might belong to one of the minorities. Seriously, I've never met or even heard anyone seriously tried but only managed a 70. Usually, people joke by saying, if I need to get a 70, I wouldn't even bother studying. Although you can't take it literally, I think they're not totally wrong.
3. For those who tried but got a 70. Those guys might have a poor academic background before starting year 11. I think that would be a huge disadvantage. There's a trend that people who did well all the way from highschool will get good HSC scores eventually. There might be some exceptions such as drug addicted during HSC, or started binge drinking since 16 17 is just that kind of age for such activities. So I think you were probably fallen behind the specified standard before you started HSC.
So now do you get the picture?

Bendent

HSC
*Ninny-mole* said:

people who study hard but get shyt marks aren't using their techniques/methods properly. i was like that and wasted time but got crap-normal marks (i realised i also didn't use too much effort). only really intelligent people know how to organise their time properly and do well.

T-mac01

HSC
N/A
Bendent said:
people who study hard but get shyt marks aren't using their techniques/methods properly. i was like that and wasted time but got crap-normal marks (i realised i also didn't use too much effort). only really intelligent people know how to organise their time properly and do well.
I don't really agree with the only intelligent people can manage part. Anyone can manage time properly when taking enough considerations. But thank you for clarifying the rest for her.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)