The Sydney Conservatorium Students Thread (1 Viewer)

lordofthestring

HSC
hi every1, im in yr 10 next yr, though, i wanted 2 no if i could get into the con for 2008 n wat is required to get in the con for jazz.....or other courses which involve guitar.
cheers

RJO1988

HSC
Sydney Conservatorium of Music - Performance (Jazz) Audition Info

lordofthestring said:
hi every1, im in yr 10 next yr, though, i wanted 2 no if i could get into the con for 2008 n wat is required to get in the con for jazz.....or other courses which involve guitar.
cheers
Hey lordofthestring - have you checked out the Con website? If not, this is basically straight from their website. The Con would be the most suited for a Jazz course... as far as I know.

Jazz Performance is available in the areas of bass, brass, drums, guitar, piano, vibraphone and woodwind.
Candidates wishing to apply for Principal Study in Jazz Performance in any course in which it is offered should prepare the following audition program

General

The audition examines a range of musical skills and has a duration of approximately 15 to 20 minutes.
All applicants will be provided with conservatorium jazz staff accompaniment.
All applicants will also complete a Jazz Aptitude Ttest.
Drum kit, amplifiers, pianos and vibraphones are provided

Note: drummers should bring their own cymbals, and hi-hat clutch and bassists and guitarists should bring their own leads.

Jazz Vocal (Minor) is available to students in the Bachelor of Music Studies and Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Music Studies.

Following are the audition requirements. Applicants for this Principal Study also complete a Jazz Aptitude Test.

The Jazz Aptitude Test is a general knowledge quiz that lasts for approximately 1 hour. The subjects covered include History, Aural, Knowledge of Harmony, etc.

Jazz Instrumental Audition Requirements (except drummers)

1. A jazz standard from the list of songs below. You should perform the melody in a jazz style, and 1or 2 choruses of improvisation over the form of the tune. There is no need to play the melody again at the end of the tune. Bassists should be able to perform the melody and walk through the chord changes, as well as solo. Guitarists and pianists should be able to demonstrate accompanying skills, by playing behind a bass or piano solo as appropriate.
    Song List For Jazz Auditions
    Autumn Leaves (Kosma/Mercer)
    All The Things You Are (Jerome Kern)
    Stella By Starlight (Victor Young)
    Blue Bossa (Kenny Dorham)
    I Love You (Cole Porter)
    On Green Dolphin Street (B.Kaper)
    Take The A Train (Duke Ellington)
    In A Mellow Tone (Duke Ellington)
    It Could Happen To You ( J. Van Heusen)
    All Of Me (Simons/Marks)
    Someday My Prince Will Come (Frank Churchill)
    What Is This Thing Called Love (Cole Porter)
    Corcavado (A.C. Jobim)
    Insensatez (A.C. Jobim)
  2. The 12 Bar Blues. A specific jazz blues melody is not required. You should solo in a jazz style for 3 choruses on the 12 bar blues with chord changes in three consecutive chromatic keys. For example, first chorus in C, modulating up a semitone to Db for the second chorus, modulating up a semitone to D for the third chorus. The keys chosen may not be C, Db, and D. You are strongly advised to know the blues in all 12 keys.
    Suggested 12 Bar Blues Chord Progression:
    | C7 | F7 | C7 | C7 |
    F7 | F7 | C7 F7 | E-7 A7 |
    D-7 | G7 | C7 | D-7 G7 |
    The above example is in C and needs to be transposed to other keys and the last bar needs to be raised by a semitone to transpose into a key centre a semi tone higher- as per the blues audition requirement. In the above example, the last bar should be Eb-7/Ab7 to arrive at Db7.
  3. An aural test consisting of:
    • Ten intervals up to and including a ninth.
    • Ten chords drawn from major, minor, augmented, diminished, and dominant chord families.
    • The applicant should attempt to identify all extensions and alterations as appropriate.
  4. Scales and arpeggios (technical exam)You will be asked to play the major scale, the melodic minor, and harmonic minor scale in any or all of the 12 keys and the arpeggios of the various chord types, drawn from the following:
    Major, Major 7, Dominant 7, Minor, Minor 7, Minor 7b5, Diminished, Diminished 7, augmented, in any or all of the 12 key tonalities.
  5. Sight reading. You will be asked to sight read the melody of a jazz standard, play it in an appropriate jazz style and then improvise a solo over the chord changes for one chorus to demonstrate the ability to read musical notation as well as follow and interpret a set of chord changes.
So it's pretty straight foward right there. Have fun! Work hard towards it!!

HSC
Hi sexy con students!

Is there a sheet music library at the con that you can go to and copy music from?

And if said place exists, can a normal usyder get to said music, or is it restricted to the con students?

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
there are scores yes, but what music are you asking for?

And yes a normal usyder can come.

HSC
I'm looking to get at some solo piano music, nothing too far outside of the mainstream (some shostakovich, schubert, brahms + jarrett)

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
oh! then jesus of course!

search the usyd library catalogue for it. If its location is CON MUSIC, we'd probably have it.

Nicci_15

HSC
Uni Grad
I'm loving the Con atm, but the food is rather outrageously expensive. Is there any place nearby that I can get good food at a reasonable price?

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
The AMP centre.

You can see it from the Con.

It's a sexy food court. Better coffee etc.

Oh hey. You should meet up with me and say hi when I'm around.

Nicci_15

HSC
Uni Grad
I think i may have seen u in the seminar last wednesday, i was part of the group in the back row

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Lol how on earth would you know which one I'd be?

So like say hi to me.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Bunny04 said:
lol xD I'm seriously freaked out.
I'm in that class too hahaha. Marcus is a crack up. Apart from teh hardness of that exam -dies-
Umm, me.. Person in the class lol. This morning.. err... tissues.. Sniffling. yes. -cough-
Holy shit, did you pass aural?

I did. Concessional. Fuck yes no more aural ever again. It is that awesome right now.

RJO1988

HSC
Hey all!! Aren't you lucky pplz not to have to do Aural EVER again!! hahaha... I have meagan (how ever you spell her name) and that's cool, but for solfege I have Brett... yes Brett Mullins... yes Bunny... Brett >.<" ARGH!! ONE MORE YEAR OF IT THEN IM DONE!! hahaha... CAN'T WAIT!!

Nicci_15

HSC
Uni Grad
We're getting Scott for Solfege, after the break. Is it true that he is a really scary figure? Cause thats the word on the street.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
He suddenly got really nice when I had him for Solfege 4. I had him at Solfege 2 and he goes to me

"Stef, do you see yourself passing Solfege?"
"Yes.. :/ "
"Well.. you're not."

LOL. But I ended up passing anyway because of the Lab component. Aural 4 he was so so so nice, just told me what to work on etc.

Bunny04

VIVE LA FRANCE
Well for starters, Australia, NSW, Sydney- and fin
HSC
I had Scott too! I forget what Aural though.
He was all against me passing Aural though, 'Cause I never did my lab homework. I just kept forgetting. Hehehee.
I had Brett for Solfege, and did well in that and the lab test, so I passed and Scott was pretty pissed off.
Marcus is the best Aural teacher though. He's totally cool.

Rob, I feel for ya. Poor thing having to sit through class with Brett. Hehehehe. Megans cool though! :) So, that kinda is okay.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Yeah I never did my homework when I had Marcus.

And for some reason I improved drastically.

He is teh awesome.

Nikki1243

HSC
hey guys,
my audition for the Sydney con is in two weeks and i'm loosing my mind about whether i'm prepared or not. Are there any other violinists who auditioned for a bachelor of music majoring in performance that can tell me what they were asked to do during their audition.

agilebeast0114

HSC
Hey guys.

I said it in the PM and I'll reiterate it here again -- ALL Conservatorium conversation stays in here.

When the subforums do eventually come in (and I will help you get them by campaigning for it too) this thread will be moved then you will be free to roam around in that subforum as you please.

In the meantime, post in here, keep spam to a minimum please and any other threads or posts in the rest of the forum will be deleted.

If you have any questions or concerns please PM or e-mail me.

Thanks!

-ujuphleg
Thanks for sharing, brooo

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)