The Tennis Thread (1 Viewer)

photastic

HSC
Re: Confessions

Confession:

I'm j3lly.

Same but the window is closing and it's nearly shut.

I think 2015 will be his last chance (he'll need to be in good form though). But in 2014, he lost two BIG opportunities (Wimbledon 2014 final, had 2 BPs in the last set and USO 2014, Nishikori was waiting in the final - instead he lost to Cilic) and he isn't getting any younger.
If he won the US Open it would've proven that only Novak and Rafael are his only threats. Tbh, his injuries are concerning and might come back soon. His only chances is wimbledon, but I believe Nadal has a high chance of beating his gs record and become the greatest of all time :I

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad

When does it start? For some reason i tend to start playing wii tennis again when the Australian open is on
Confession:

I'm like Roger Federer at his peak when playing wii tennis.

Murray/Djokovic is even more boring.
Murrovic is a snooze-fest indeed.

I hope Djokovic wins because when he does he takes off his clothes.

I hope Stan provides another epic with Novak.

even then nadal and djokovic have some differing features in their playstyle (for example, djokovic's serve was a lot more prominent for most of his career and he approaches the net more often)

nadal tends to rely more on outlasting opponents whereas djokovic can seek to outplay opponents at times

there's also the point that nadal has more spin in his ball, utilises his forehand whereas djokovic commonly employs his backhand
Djokovic serves better (pre-2011 Novak serve was horrible though). Has a better backhand.

Rafa has a better forehand. Volleys and smashes better.

But yeah, Novak is probably more offensively minded than Rafa (who usually aims to outlast his opponents with his intensity).

Confession: I despise nadal/djokovic playstyle.
Generally, i hate all this tower defence play style. Where they rely on other player to make unforced errors.
Yeah, I think quite a lot of people hate these 5-6 hours grinding matches between Murray/Djokovic/Nadal. But I think we need to appreciate that these players can be offensive players too.

Djokovic is an offensive baseliner who just has amazing defensive capabilities --> causing people to think he's a defensive player.

Same with Nadal. Seriously, I'm a huge Federer fan but I think Nadal's FH is probably the most destructive/offensive weapon on tennis when it's on. You know you have a godly FH when you can overpower Djokovic's defence on clay with it.

Murray is naturally a counterpuncher so he seems more defensive. However, when he does play offensive - his groundstrokes are devastating.

Well, that's how I play the game ...
My table tennis play-style is probably like Murray's play-style :haha:

I only turn up my forehand when I'm feeling confident - otherwise, I usually try to play safe and keep the errors down.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad

If he won the US Open it would've proven that only Novak and Rafael are his only threats. Tbh, his injuries are concerning and might come back soon. His only chances is wimbledon, but I believe Nadal has a high chance of beating his gs record and become the greatest of all time :I
It's fine. A long break should rest his back.

Plus, he showed some good form against Gasquet in the Davis Cup final. Should be fine.

I believe in Fedberg.

I really want to see #18 happen but I think the ship has sailed after the 2014 Wimbledon final.

Also, Federer has reached ELEVEN CONSECUTIVE Aussie Open semi-finals (2004 to 2014) so I think a good run in 2015 may be on the cards too. It's bloody amazing consistency at the AO.

To be honest, I think the Big 3 is crumbling. Nishikori and Wawrinka are big threats now, and the rest of the field is starting to catch up too.

Had Nishikori not get injured in the Madrid final, Rafa would have had ZERO clay masters in 2014.

In 2014, Wawrinka won the Aussie open and Nishikori + Cilic upset the Djokovic + Federer duo in the USO open.

I hope Nishikori, Dimitrov and Wawrinka deliver.

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A

dat wawrinka backhand

photastic

HSC

It's fine. A long break should rest his back.

Plus, he showed some good form against Gasquet in the Davis Cup final. Should be fine.

I believe in Fedberg.

I really want to see #18 happen but I think the ship has sailed after the 2014 Wimbledon final.

Also, Federer has reached ELEVEN CONSECUTIVE Aussie Open semi-finals (2004 to 2014) so I think a good run in 2015 may be on the cards too. It's bloody amazing consistency at the AO.

To be honest, I think the Big 3 is crumbling. Nishikori and Wawrinka are big threats now, and the rest of the field is starting to catch up too.

Had Nishikori not get injured in the Madrid final, Rafa would have had ZERO clay masters in 2014.

In 2014, Wawrinka won the Aussie open and Nishikori + Cilic upset the Djokovic + Federer duo in the USO open.

I hope Nishikori, Dimitrov and Wawrinka deliver.
True, problem with nishikori is himself, Dimitrov went sour after wimbledon and really hoping "Stan the Man" comes back. I will never forget watching him and djokovic rape the ball live and catching the ball and their last grand slam encounters are out of this world. With the big 3, they defs lost their invincibility status but will always be threats and that Davis Cup match, gasquet was really bad and roger was 7/10, they should've had simon play instead. But anyhow, I want to see Cincinnati Federer :)

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad

True, problem with nishikori is himself, Dimitrov went sour after wimbledon and really hoping "Stan the Man" comes back. I will never forget watching him and djokovic rape the ball live and catching the ball and their last grand slam encounters are out of this world. With the big 3, they defs lost their invincibility status but will always be threats and that Davis Cup match, gasquet was really bad and roger was 7/10, they should've had simon play instead. But anyhow, I want to see Cincinnati Federer :)
Yeah, Nishikori and his fragile body are always be questionable.

Simon couldn't play because he wasn't on the finals ''team'' iirc. I think Benneateau would have been a better choice than Gasquet even though..

Cincy Federer? You mean the one who got breadsticked by FERRER in the final? :haha: (He won but still...)

Shanghai Federer (after the Leonardo Mayer escape) was impressive.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Confession: I enjoy watching Nadal getting eliminated in the 1st round.
Nadal will make a comeback during the clay season at the latest.

It always happens.

Not the best individual sport, the best sport. It teaches about discipline, fitness, work ethics, strength and strategies although it applies to all sports.
People will argue soccer/football is the best sport and it really is the ultimate ''world/global sport''.

However, unlike football where you can stall to get the victory with a lead, you must win the final point in tennis. No one is there to help you. There's no ''countdown''. We've seen many cases where players come back from the brink of defeat... saving multiple match points then winning the match.

I used to have the maddest crushes on Andy Murray and Federer when I was younger lol

Then I kinda switched to nadal
Yeah it seems like Nadal is more appealing to the female audience though. He's more ''manly'' than Federer (who's more ''elegant'' and so).

Confession: I'm actually hoping Hewitt gets past round 1. The guy needs to catch a break in game and offcourt.
Hewitt hasn't done much since he beat Federer in Brisbane last year.

there will be a day where Nadal is no longer playing and I will miss seeing even this on the court

as well as his obsessive placement of drinks being diagonal from each other and how he steps in a square when he walks to the back of the court and how he does that little feet dance thing before he receives a serve

hue
we've discussed our differing loves for Federer and Nadal and we respect each other on it tbh so

not even any rumbling going on in this jungle

(mainly cos I also rly adore Federer and can accept his existence was really significant to Nadal's own flourishing of a career)

(also can accept that Federer is GOAT)
I'm always sad when Federer has to face Nadal in slams :haha: (it's basically an inevitable defeat)

However, I absolutely respect Nadal's achievements (and his sexy forehand). Rafa will most likely be GOAT in the end but it'll be well deserved. Plus, Federer has many other records besides his slam tally.

tbh I kinda have a love-hate kind of relationship with Djokovic in terms of how I perceive him

mainly cos I used to be a pretty big fan of him back in 2008 when he won his first AO and he was actually modest, then he disappeared for like 2 years and he came back being all like "lol I'm going to be the best" and adopting this far more dickheaded attitude

I kinda lost respect for him over the years although at times watching him I do feel some sort of semblance for the support I had for him back then. I suppose I can recognise that he does have great mental strength in his game and is rather intelligently offensive when he chooses to be

but most of the time I absolutely despise him and whenever he goes against Nadal especially I am out for blood, I repeat I am out for blood
You should have seen Djokovic's horrible behaviour in the Karlovic match in Doha.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Wawrinka won Chennai.

Federer won Brisbane.

Ferrer won Doha.

Any guesses on who will win Auckland and Sydney?

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad

Preview of the upcoming clay season.

All eyes will be on the King of Clay, Rafael Nadal.

If Nadal doesn't secure a top 4 seeding at the French Open, it could spell danger for one of the top 4 seeds (having to meet him in the QFs).

Will Rafa win a 10th French Open crown? Or will Djokovic capture the Career Grand Slam? Or will there be a surprise winner?

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
33 year old, nearing 34, Olderer (who is 'useless' on clay since 2013) being stunned by a youthful big serving 20 year old.

How exciting :haha:

fluke win
Not really. Roger can't play on clay anymore. He was losing sets to non top-10 players during Istanbul (a 250 tournament for goodness sake).

He's declined the worst on clay - don't see him getting past 4th round/QFs at the French Open.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
so you're saying... if i put money on it, i could come out on top? :p

Recondit

ヽ(" `Д´)ノ
HSC
Expected, definitely would surprise me if he makes the FO SFs (heck even the QFs) in his declined form atm when there are drifting titans such as Kyrgios, Monfils and Berdych

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad

Implications of Nadal's loss to Wawrinka in Rome (as well as losses to Djokovic in Monte Carlo, Fognini in Barcelona and Murray in Madrid):
- Despite winning a ATP250 clay title in Buenos Aires earlier this year, this is the first time in 10 years that Nadal has not won a European ATP World Tour clay-court title in the lead-up to Roland Garros.
2014 – Madrid
2013 – Barcelona, Madrid, Rome
2012 – Monte-Carlo, Barcelona, Rome
2011 – Monte-Carlo, Barcelona
2010 – Monte-Carlo, Rome, Madrid
2009 – Monte-Carlo, Barcelona, Rome
2008 – Monte-Carlo, Barcelona, Hamburg
2007 – Monte-Carlo, Barcelona, Rome
2006 – Monte-Carlo, Barcelona, Rome
2005 – Monte-Carlo, Barcelona, Rome

- Marks his 5th clay loss in a season. The last time Nadal lost more than 3 times on clay in 1 season was 2004.

- Nadal will be seeded no higher than seventh for the French Open/Roland Garros.

- Djokovic is now even a greater bookies' favourite to win the French (Murray is also considered a favourite, after winning Munich and Madrid back to back).

Will the 'King of Clay' defend his French crown and win a 10th French Open, or will Djokovic live up to the expectations as the ultimate favourite (despite a 0-6 H2H against Nadal at the French Open), or will Murray/Federer/Berdych/Nishikori/Wawrinka/et al surprise people?

photastic

HSC
Unless Nadal doesn't get his form back, I can see Djokovic winning the grand slam the way he's been playing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)