The Thread for ALL FIRST YEAR QUESTIONS. (1 Viewer)

LordPc

HSC
sounds logical. would be a little odd for someone to get through their entire program with 10+ PC's. although I would think that after getting 1 or 2, you would be somewhat motivated to try a little harder next time

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
yes, between 45-49, and it depends on what ur wam is too.

eg if u get a 47 in some course, u need a wam of 55 or more to get awarded a PC. there's a table of numbers somewhere that tells u the values......

V4Ni$H

HSC
does any one know if someone got granted special consideration, can they withdraw it and keep the original mark?

_santa

HSC
does any one know if someone got granted special consideration, can they withdraw it and keep the original mark?
I think taking the sup exam doesn't mean they are just gonna replace the marks, and besides pulling out now would leave a bad mark on your records, and you might have trouble seeking consideration in later years, so I think you should just take it easy and give it your best shot.

HSC
yes, between 45-49, and it depends on what ur wam is too.

eg if u get a 47 in some course, u need a wam of 55 or more to get awarded a PC. there's a table of numbers somewhere that tells u the values......
I think you need a WAM of 55 for a PC with 46/47, and a WAM of 53 for a PC with 48/49. It seems a little low, lol.

Iruka

HSC
N/A
There might be a limit to how many you are allowed throughout the degree, or how many you are allowed in one semester, as well. I think you can find this info on MyUNSW somewhere.

Georgegeorge

HSC
If you decide to drop a double degree, do the subject/s that counted towards the one you decided to drop count as geneds? Or free options? Or what?

Vylen

HSC
If you decide to drop a double degree, do the subject/s that counted towards the one you decided to drop count as geneds? Or free options? Or what?
Chances are they could count as free options - they wont count as geneds unless you actually apply to have them to...

However, you can check with your school regarding this (they're usually nice enough to do the counting for you)

Vylen

HSC
Undergraduate marks in the 46 - 49 range are subject to consideration for Pass Conceded (PC) and are managed by NewSouthStudent(NSS) Information System. In deciding whether a mark in this range is granted PC status a uniform algorithm is applied, based on the marks under consideration, as well as the student’s current and past performance (Weighted Average Mark – WAM). A student is eligible for consideration for a PC result under these rules:

Code:
Mark range    |Qualifying Condition
--------------+-----------------------------
48 or 49      | Term WAM at least 53
46 or 47      | Term WAM at least 55
46 to 49      | Overall WAM at least 55
46 to 49      | Potential Graduand with no failures
Limit         | 18uoc of PCs over all U/G programs
Until the computer algorithm has been applied, results in the 46-49 range receive Grade Pending (GP) status.

(Taken from: http://www.law.unsw.edu.au/Current_Students/adminInfo/assessmentPoliciesAndProcedures.doc and yes, i rewrote the stupid table in ASCII for you guys)

ShadowSwifter

HSC
For first year commerce students, are we T2 or T2A courses? because T2A starts on 27 Jul instead of 20 Jul.

Can someone please confirm for me thanks!

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
has anyone had HB Grundling as a math lecturer before? I've heard bad things about Blennerhasset.

Omium

Knuckles
HSC
Hmm, I've got ONLY math lectures in week 1 and NO physics lectures, Is this normal ?

Has this occured with any of you guys ?

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
Hmm, I've got ONLY math lectures in week 1 and NO physics lectures, Is this normal ?

Has this occured with any of you guys ?
Nope, my physics lectures were on for SEM1.

Note that I think the structure of the semester has changed, yet the course may be only for 12 weeks. Hence the first week is neglected.

Iruka

HSC
N/A
Yeah, they have started the "12 in 13 week" structure from this semester.

Basically the courses that actually teach you content didn't much like having to cut 15% out of all their subjects. One day the uni will realize that the 12 week semester is a total flop and go back to 14 weeks - but they're pretty slow, so you may well have graduated before that happens.

Iruka

HSC
N/A
Are sure that isn't quadratic surfaces? (Wolfram Mathworld is telling me that not all quartic surfaces have been fully characterized yet.)

They're not that hard, actually, you just have to be able to find the eigenvalues of a symmetric matrix that represents the function, and you can tell what sort of a surface it is.

Uncle

Banned
HSC
Are sure that isn't quadratic surfaces? (Wolfram Mathworld is telling me that not all quartic surfaces have been fully characterized yet.)

They're not that hard, actually, you just have to be able to find the eigenvalues of a symmetric matrix that represents the function, and you can tell what sort of a surface it is.
My bad, the topic is called quadric surfaces.
The one with shapes in R2 and R3 coordinates such as the ellipse, hyperbola, ellipsoid, hyperboloid, etc.
There were optional lecture notes which haven't been covered and wasn't needed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)