The Woolworths Thread (16 Viewers)

NNS7

HSC
N/A
Sooooo many acronyms... -.-
LOL this is so true, we do have our own jargon, and as supervisors we have to be mindful of new staff, even with simple things. There is always that classic story or folk law in perishables that is:
Manager to new staff member: "can you please face the dairy case"
new staff member: "for my whole shift?"
Manager: "yes please"
-two hrs later they found her standing in front of the dairy case looking at it -
manager: "what are you doing?"
new staff member: "I'm "facing" the dairy case"
Manager: "is this all you have been doing for the last two hrs???!"
new staff member: "Well yes....."

yoddle

is cool
HSC
Awkward!
As horrible as it is I can almost imagine it happening. I used to be so scared to clarify what people meant when i first started.

Its 'folklore' not 'folk law' btw.

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
Haven't been called letting me know of my second shift :x
I was told (on my first), that I would be called informing me of my next shift!

I bet I'll get a call going "where are you???"

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Haven't been called letting me know of my second shift :x
I was told (on my first), that I would be called informing me of my next shift!

I bet I'll get a call going "where are you???"
why don't you call them?

danberg

HSC
Mmm I did just before I posted (at like 4:00pm). Dept Manager had gone home for the day.
:(

I might just pop in tonight and check the roster myself, but cbf getting there! Who wants to drive? :D
Just call up, speak to the service desk/service supervisor

lordtopcat

Woolworths Bitch
HSC
By Store 2IC, do you mean SSM or STM? or someone like that?

It could be because most of that safety stuff gets delegated to the SSM.
At least it seems to in my store.
We don't have SSM's and STM's in New Zealand...By Store 2IC I mean the Assistant Store Manager. Just in case you are interested, here is the ladder in NZ:

Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager
Service & Administration Manager (SAM)
Customer Services Manager
Dry Goods Manager
Fresh Foods Manager
Department Managers (Grocery, Perishables, Produce, Bakery etc)
Department 2IC's

etc etc...

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
Just call up, speak to the service desk/service supervisor
It's ok, I went in just then and checked. It says "Not Available" for every day. I'm not worried though, the other new guy's listening also says that for every day.

Is it normal to not give shifts to newb's for the first week in?

ekul444

HSC
N/A
ok, used WoWPoS SCO today (doing some shopping, not actually working) and dear god that interface is hideous - it looks like a 10 year old designed it in Microsoft Paint!!!!
Nothing else worried me that much, good to have all the drill down menus seperate, made it much easier to find things. The voice seemed alot less 'happy', dont think thats a huge problem.
One interesting thing i noticed was when it told me to insert cash it said to put coins in first then notes, I wonder why that was. I was tempted to do it the other way round just to see if it would actually reject my note, but i didnt have any coins on me :p
Had a quick chat with the lady working today and she said they had very little problems so far, they had to reboot twice on the first day and none today - that doesn't seem too bad to me.
I will probably post my thoughts on Sunday after my first shift with it

Treefeet

HSC
the reason you put ur coins in first is.. so ur nit left with odd coins everywhere and then you put ur note in.

so $10.75... so out the .75c in first and your $20 and it will give you 2 x $5.00 notes..

its pretty straight forward. the machines at Big W.. tell you to do the same thing.

ekul444

HSC
N/A
the reason you put ur coins in first is.. so ur nit left with odd coins everywhere and then you put ur note in.

so $10.75... so out the .75c in first and your $20 and it will give you 2 x $5.00 notes..

its pretty straight forward. the machines at Big W.. tell you to do the same thing.
oh right, thats the reason haha, well i always did that cause it just made sense. its probably not necessary for the machine to instruct you to though...

BSammy

HSC
We don't have SSM's and STM's in New Zealand...By Store 2IC I mean the Assistant Store Manager. Just in case you are interested, here is the ladder in NZ:

Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager
Service & Administration Manager (SAM)
Sounds like the STM and SSM just with different names.
Although I'd assume a few other differences in job roles.

and accents!

T 360

One of the Fresh Food Peo
HSC
Well. Our New Store manager started on Monday and so far,so good. Our old SM spent all day sitting up in his office doing god knows what or walking around the store looking at stuff. He NEVER helped with anything!

Now,to our new boss. I am yet to see him in his office. I have always seen him walking around,putting stock on shelves,collecting baskets etc. Today,we were busy on checkouts and he walked straight up to the supervisor in charge and goes "Where would you like me?". He did this TWICE today,for about 30mins-1hr on Express.Our old manager never did this. And when he wasn't serving,I would see him stocking shelves or re-arranging displays in the frontend.
;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 16)