• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

The Woolworths Thread (98 Viewers)

yoddle

is cool
HSC
Haha our phones regularly switch themselves to some Asian language. We have the LG Arias - any suggestions on how to fix it?

And I get really confused when I have to go between Service Manager and Office Cashier in Office.

^^^ and god help me if they ever assigned Service Sup to my menu. I'd spend the whole time cursing that its completely different to Service Manager.
I just got Office Cashier for duty and totally heart it, I gave myself Manager Office privileges! But then it was a total letdown with nothing exciting. Does anyone know how to decipher the queue length report? I really don't understand how on Earth it calculates queues if that's what it even does, it weirds me out.

I was cracking the funnies today and wrote "Fat Moll" on the 'Purchased by' of some chick's check-seal, the SSM was like "Yes well he has a point".

Then I had the most rough-as-guts nine a clocker, who was talking about how she got taken advantage of when she was drunk and how if girls pee on walls you see their gash and stuff. Then my other nine-o'clocker came back inside from getting trolleys with a court summons that the police gave him out the front. Ah I heart my town.

So.....who's the new townie?

swado

HSC
N/A
Hey guys,

just a bit unsure about pay.

im from NSW, work 6 hours on a sunday night as nightfill (6-12)

got 2 things on my payslip (6E ORD+50% for 3.5hrs and 6F ORD+75% for 2hrs exactly)

i assume its +50% before 10 and then we close at 10 so it goes to +75% after that.

as far as i know im entitled to a 30min break on a 6hour shift, 10mins paid(+5 walkingtime) then a further 15mins unpaid.

in nightfill we only take the 15min break with the intention of getting paid for the other 15. but it appears i am getting unpaid for both parts.

thanks for your help

yoddle

is cool
HSC
I'm pretty sure six hours only entitles you to two paid 10 minute (but in reality 15 min) breaks, not a half hour break. However agreements vary state by state so don't quote me on that.

swado

HSC
N/A
wow if they are both paid then i really am getting ripped off. the way the payslips are done makes it rather hard to determine exactly what i am and aren't getting paid for. will have to record exactly what times i clock on and off next week.

its just the sunday with exactly 2hrs and 3.5hrs thats made me realise.

from what i have been told from my manager was basically for 6hrs you get 30mins of breaks (15 unpaid and 15paid i guess really two 10mins but then 2 lots of 5min walking time so 30 all up) but everyone just takes 15 and works to get paid for the other 15 because we dont really need a full 30mins anyway

would seem im getting paid for none of it tho

yoddle

is cool
HSC
Oh my god i hate promotional shit like that. GTFOI. I never ask if people wanna join F$C.

swado i have never heard of such a thing as an unpaid 15 min break. I suggest you should ask your union rep.

Just heard on the news there's been ANOTHER earthquake in Haiti.

bdude

HSC
According to the NSW award when working more than 5 hours the employee is entitled to a paid rest pause of 10 minutes and an unpaid meal break of between 30-60 minutes duration.

So you're payslip is 3.5+2 = 5.5 hours which is a 6 hour shift minus the half-hour unpaid meal break.

Do you clock on/off for your meal breaks? Because I would have thought they would have taken it out of the +75% hours to save a few cents.

HSC
I had the most unsettled close tonight. First I turned up at six and got told that I couldn't start until 6.30 because they were massively over budget (like that $8 will make a difference). Then at 6.15 the 3IC rings me and is like "Well CSM just fucked off and one of us has to get smokes and the first lot of tills upstairs, so come start now!" Then the smokeshop operator turns out to be someone who doesn't even know how to recall a saved transaction, let alone anything else in smokeshop, meaning load + nonlocal + negatives had to be done by me.
But by 8oclock I was all good! Except I kept losing my lists of tills + jobs, I would have even been gone 15 minutes early if the duty manager was ready to take tills upstairs with me. Instead it looks like I was late out once again :burn:.

Yes you need to change your language to Woolworths. Push Ctrl+L and select Woolworths. :)
Okay, I actually had to use this today! I got left with no Service Manager passwords tonight, and my duty manager had to go and add it to her menu before letting me use her password. But it wasn't in Woolworths language, so yeah, I changed it. :haha:

I just got Office Cashier for duty and totally heart it, I gave myself Manager Office privileges! But then it was a total letdown with nothing exciting. Does anyone know how to decipher the queue length report? I really don't understand how on Earth it calculates queues if that's what it even does, it weirds me out.
And I stumbled across queue length on Monday, didn't open it, and I have no idea how it works.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Que Length Report doesnt actually tell you how long the ques are, it just tells you which registers were being used at the time. so i used it to plan christmas rosters by looking how many registers were in use throughout the day. but you could infer ques though, if say from 10:00-10:15 only 3 registers were in use, but from 10:15-10:30 there were 5 in use, you can safely assume it got busy some time in that last 15 minute window.

Black Heart

HSC
Completely off topic but just thought I'd update you all on my job at Big W now. I've been there for about 6 weeks now and I have yet to recieve

1. A shirt (wearing a white shirt atm)
2. A name badge
3. A locker (which we were supposed to get on our induction, thought I'm not too fussed about the locker)

I've asked about the above but they say "oh there's some badges downstairs" and then they go back to what they were doing and we had to go do our job - we never got a badge.

The managers are rude and unhelpful. On our first shift they just said "This is how to recover clothes" and then left us. There was no other training about how to fill in ''Suspected Stolen'' and ''Soiled and Damaged'' slips properly; where to put them(and the item) after the form has been filled out; what to do after you finish the section you're in; just basically anything that can help you do your job properly. We had to get help from the other recovery workers just to know what we're doing!

The other section -hardgoods- is like towels, kitchen stuff, toys etc. Once I had to go into one of them sections because they didn't have enough people to do it all. I said "I don't know how to do it" they ignored me and I went to the section and asked other recovery staff (the boys) what I had to do and where to start and they acted like I was bad smell invading their space.

Doesn't help the fact that they hired tonnes of people to work Christmas which means I am only getting one or two shifts a week and some are getting 3 and some are getting none.

Work tonight, joy.
Gah, I need a new job.

HSC
my brother has a second interview for produce tomorrow, thank christ its not for my store.

Also, what on earth is the 1.5 hour training session that everyone in my store is going for? Only FT/PPT staff are going at the moment, so yeah, what is it?

Last edited:

Craven

HSC
Hm, I'm pretty sure they did all staff though (Checkouts & nightfill first)... but that's about lifting techniques and making sure you care for your back @ work.

woot for having the best scanning rate last week... 28 items/min lol, though I did only scan 4 items :p

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
Doesn't help the fact that they hired tonnes of people to work Christmas which means I am only getting one or two shifts a week and some are getting 3 and some are getting none.
That's the case at my Safeway, except it's not like we have "that many staff", it's just that i steal everybodys shifts because I know a wide variety of stuff (self serve/registers/etc).
Our CSM rosters me on HEAPS (35.5 hours of self serve this week), and everyone else only got a small amount of hours. Another 15 y/o got 19, which is good but then look at my hours.

I must be the casual who works the most I reckon'.

HSC
Hm, I'm pretty sure they did all staff though (Checkouts & nightfill first)... but that's about lifting techniques and making sure you care for your back @ work.
Oh I know everyone's doing it eventually, but they've just slotted in permanent staff first (since they already knew their roster in advance i guess).

That's the case at my Safeway, except it's not like we have "that many staff", it's just that i steal everybodys shifts because I know a wide variety of stuff (self serve/registers/etc).
Our CSM rosters me on HEAPS (35.5 hours of self serve this week), and everyone else only got a small amount of hours. Another 15 y/o got 19, which is good but then look at my hours.

See my store is the opposite - not many staff, and a lot of hours to go around. Everyone does a MINIMUM of 5 days a week, except the homeshop staff who get 3 hours (on checkouts). But I reckon they could cut down there by making shifts longer (ie joining an 8-1 and a 2-6.30 shift together), so that we actually HAVE staff to call when there's sickies/noshows. I suggested this to my SSM and he didn't seem impressed, so I guess there's reasons there.

jgibson0011

HSC
N/A

same here at my store...except i average 20-25 hours, which is good for an 18 year old casual. most of the 15 year old casuals get 5 hours a week and some get no shifts at all

HSC
so i really need total image to hurry up with my shirt, i'm fairly sure every time i get dressed for work i find a new hole in my spotless one. i just brought the shirt that i washed today inside and i'm not sure that its at all wearable anymore.

anyone know how long its taking from order to delivery at the moment?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 98)