• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

The Woolworths Thread (89 Viewers)

bdude

HSC
Our managers did that to stacks of people over christmas (cancel their shift when they were already there).
I would be so pissed off if that happened to me. It's not my fault you over-rostered.

I really do think there needs to be more protection for casual workers regarding this kind of thing.

SpongeHead

HSC
Hey guys, I've been training to become a supervisor for the last few weeks and now it's come to the stage where I am given "Supervision" shifts where I actually do supervision, ie no more training - just continue doing what I've learnt for experience.

My question is, when should I expect my hourly rate to go up considering I'm now supervising and am still on a normal operator's wage? Do supervisors even get more money? Also does the rate stay the same no matter if you are rostered for supervision or self-serve or normal operator?

HSC
I really do think there needs to be more protection for casual workers regarding this kind of thing.
pfft, protection for casual workers - you have to be kidding me!

Hey guys, I've been training to become a supervisor for the last few weeks and now it's come to the stage where I am given "Supervision" shifts where I actually do supervision, ie no more training - just continue doing what I've learnt for experience.

My question is, when should I expect my hourly rate to go up considering I'm now supervising and am still on a normal operator's wage? Do supervisors even get more money? Also does the rate stay the same no matter if you are rostered for supervision or self-serve or normal operator?
It varies from store to store.

Some stores will automatically pay you at the higher rate if you are rostered as a supervisor. Mine does not - we have a claim book in cash office that we can claim the higher rate with. If you are rostered as an operator you are payed at operator rates, unless you are covering a break or something (which I think needs to be manually claimed).

Also I think only one person at a time can claim the higher rates, so yesterday for instance we had 2IC + casual supervisor, the casual supervisor could only claim the 2IC's lunchbreak and close - not her whole shift.

This probably doesn't make sense though.

SpongeHead

HSC
pfft, protection for casual workers - you have to be kidding me!

It varies from store to store.

Some stores will automatically pay you at the higher rate if you are rostered as a supervisor. Mine does not - we have a claim book in cash office that we can claim the higher rate with. If you are rostered as an operator you are payed at operator rates, unless you are covering a break or something (which I think needs to be manually claimed).

Also I think only one person at a time can claim the higher rates, so yesterday for instance we had 2IC + casual supervisor, the casual supervisor could only claim the 2IC's lunchbreak and close - not her whole shift.

This probably doesn't make sense though.
Yeah that made sense, thanks babikakez. That's not fair though on the part of the casual supervisor.... in that situation is there any other way she'd be able to claim the higher rate? If they did that to me I would be pretty pissed....

Craven

HSC
I would be so pissed off if that happened to me. It's not my fault you over-rostered.

Well that is against the EBA (mine at least, QLD). If they have arrived at the store their shift cannot be changed (pushed back or cancelled).

Supervisor is paid at grade 3 which is about 50cents more than the grade 2 - 21yo rate. If you're scheduled as SPRVSN" in People Planner you SHOULD be paid at grade 3 rate no matter how many other people are scheduled this way. Since you are a new supervisor you won't have had a second pay rate set up in People Planner so make sure you double check your next pay slip to ensure your office cashier has set it up correctly, otherwise it will default to your standard pay scale (grade 2).

HSC
Yeah that made sense, thanks babikakez. That's not fair though on the part of the casual supervisor.... in that situation is there any other way she'd be able to claim the higher rate? If they did that to me I would be pretty pissed....
Not really, the rate is designed so that it goes to ONE person. You're only supposed to claim it when you are on your own, except obviously CSM and 2IC are already salaried at that grade.
I have 8 hours at sup rates this week, thats a lot for me!

If you're not sure how it works at your store, ask your office cashier or another supervisor. I didn't have a clue how to claim it until my old 3IC showed me!

HSC
Supervisor is paid at grade 3 which is about 50cents more than the grade 2 - 21yo rate. If you're scheduled as SPRVSN" in People Planner you SHOULD be paid at grade 3 rate no matter how many other people are scheduled this way. Since you are a new supervisor you won't have had a second pay rate set up in People Planner so make sure you double check your next pay slip to ensure your office cashier has set it up correctly, otherwise it will default to your standard pay scale (grade 2).
I don't think anyone in my store has been correctly payed for supervision shifts if thats the case. We were told that only one person can be payed for supervision hours at a time, and if we want the money, we have to make the effort.

Also there is no way that my supervision rate is higher than the grade 2 adult rate. Perhaps this varies across EBA's.

Craven

HSC
Well
QLD Supervisor: $18.44/hr (age rates do not apply - I just assumed this was because the grade 3 carries higher responsibility and it's not really appropriate to consider it a 'junior' role).
Grade 2 Adult rate: $17.97/hr
I'm 20 so I get paid $15.79/hr at grade 2.

And they are clearly scamming you about the "only one person at a time" bullshit. If their rostering requires the need for more than one person as a supervisor then all those rostered as such should be paid at the correct rate! If your roster says "supervision" instead of "operator" you should DEFINITELY be getting paid the supervisor rate (even if there are 2 other people rostered as such). Now, I don't see that you have much a foot to stand on if you are just doing the supervisor's tea or lunch break (only on Sunday at our store does that ever happen and it's usually the SSA that does such but lately we roster a morning and afternoon supervisor so we get rid of the lunchbreak issue as all of the other SSA's complain).

HSC
Well
QLD Supervisor: $18.44/hr (age rates do not apply - I just assumed this was because the grade 3 carries higher responsibility and it's not really appropriate to consider it a 'junior' role).
Grade 2 Adult rate: $17.97/hr
I'm 20 so I get paid $15.79/hr at grade 2.

And they are clearly scamming you about the "only one person at a time" bullshit. If their rostering requires the need for more than one person as a supervisor then all those rostered as such should be paid at the correct rate! If your roster says "supervision" instead of "operator" you should DEFINITELY be getting paid the supervisor rate (even if there are 2 other people rostered as such). Now, I don't see that you have much a foot to stand on if you are just doing the supervisor's tea or lunch break (only on Sunday at our store does that ever happen and it's usually the SSA that does such but lately we roster a morning and afternoon supervisor so we get rid of the lunchbreak issue as all of the other SSA's complain).

Okay, my operator rate (prior to the pay rise, I haven't been payed as a supervisor since then): 14.9586
Supervisor rate: 16.6340.

If its just breaks that we're doing I don't care! (Except today I claimed an hour for the supervisor's break). But they don't want us claiming it all the time.
I'm going to start doing that, if its paid its paid. If not then I don't care.

Seeing as I'm in cash office on Sunday, its not too much effort to add up my sup. hours for the week and enter them in the book. And our SSO does pay them, but its interesting that it seems everyone else is payed automatically.

PyroTek

HSC
I remember my mate was trained as a supervisor by the CSM "on the job".
He was paid Supervision rates during training also!

yoddle

is cool
HSC
My store must be falling apart re wage budgets. At 9.55am I got a call saying that they cut my front end shift for today - which started at 10.30am. Could they not have told me yesterday?

The amount of Choice Blue we get is ridiculous. But you know, 8th most bogan town in Australia and all...

Rockingham makes The Punch 'Bogan Top 10' | Perth Now

We have a crappy little cage that struggles to fit anymore than 10 boxes. At christmas we can't fit everything in.

That is very OTT. A lot of weeknights we don't even do a close call anymore.
Hehehe! That's funny.
We get a smoke load every day cept Tuesdays and on weekends, but they're always about 4/5/6 boxes.

I would have thought at least an hours notice would have been neccessarily.

They rang the afternoon office cashier at 12.30 (she's supposed to start at 2pm) saying not to come in until 4. So seeing as she needed to do 3 hours min, we sat there for 15 minutes making favourites menus in office.

Also, no supervisor rostered on for tomorrow night, until I noticed and said something...
You should definitely be talking to your union delegate, your store and their practices on canceling shifts and paying supervision rates sound intensely dodgy.
Although supervision in Tas is only like 70c more or something!! Grr.

If you're casual, you're casual. As long as you haven't already arrived at work, it's fine to cancel a shift.
State by state. Almost 100& sure that's not the case in Tasmania, three hours must still be given.

lordtopcat

Woolworths Bitch
HSC
Our SM handed this around to everyone at our meeting today:

Ten Commandments of Good Business

A CUSTOMER is the most important person in ANY business;
A CUSTOMER is not dependent on us-- we are dependent on him;
A CUSTOMER is not an interruption of our work-- he is the purpose of it;
A CUSTOMER does us a favor when he calls-- we are not doing him a favor by serving him;
A CUSTOMER is part of our business-- not an outsider;
A CUSTOMER is not a cold statistic-- he is a flesh-and-blood human being with feelings and emotions like our own;
A CUSTOMER is not someone to argue or match wits with;
A CUSTOMER is a person who brings us his wants-- it is our job to fill those wants;
A CUSTOMER is deserving of the most courteous and attentive treatment we can give him;
A CUSTOMER is the life-blood of THIS and every other business.

By General Motors - mid 1970's

He said that we need to be more customer focused, and we need to stop complaining about them. You can tell they were very sexist back then, it keeps referring to 'him' or 'he' lol

PyroTek

HSC
I did Move for Life or Move 4 Life or whatever it is called today.
Just gives recommendations on how to lift things. and that "Pain is not an option"

Was about 45 minutes.

I think it is only for PPT and FT atm because a HR person is organised to come in to train each group - they know when we will be in. But they plan on training every single person in the region.

Pyro

HSC
Just gives recommendations on how to lift things. and that "Pain is not an option"

Was about 45 minutes.

I think it is only for PPT and FT atm because a HR person is organised to come in to train each group - they know when we will be in. But they plan on training every single person in the region.

Pyro
Move for Life has been 'temporarily suspended' in my region - not sure why, but its written in massive writing on all of the managers whiteboards.

booshbanditxx

HSC
Uni Grad

Was about 45 minutes.

Pyro
We were meant to do a Move 4 life thing at my induction...but we run out of time...we still signed it off though:tongue:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 89)