• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

The Woolworths Thread (5 Viewers)

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
I wish HR would respond to my online transfer request. Blah, I knew it would happen. I've learn to never expect responses from any company unless I'm extremely lucky.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Gosh, it's been a while, but my process, from memory was:

-put the money in/collect EFT slips
-do weights and measures checks
-put the smokes in the cabinet
-do grids
-STORE OPENS(so open the doors)
-unlock trolleys
-fill smokes
-order change/pickup
-run various reports
-tea break!
-supervise as per normal

britto89

HSC
I wish HR would respond to my online transfer request. Blah, I knew it would happen. I've learn to never expect responses from any company unless I'm extremely lucky.
Is the transfer to a different business division or just to another store? whats the go?

poiison13

HSC
N/A
Anyone work in one department, ever been rostered into another without being notified - and on top of that already be working in the usual department on the same day? It hasn't happened to me yet, but I'm seeing it happen to a couple of others and want to know how everyone else handles/would handle in case it comes up?

BSammy

HSC
Do the shifts clash? or is it like one after the other?

It's not bad, makes a change from doing the one thing all day, especially if it's registers.

If i got rostered for longlife/perish/bakery/deli/produce/meat or anywhere that requires proper work i'd try to get out of it tho

nanakid12

HSC
Thanks everyone for the opening routine :) I'll ask my current CSM about what happens and see if she'll give me a shift one day, see if I can handle it... probably not for a while though, considering how it was yesterday

My store manager thankfully wasn't working yesterday, as I would have got my arse booted when I was supervising for the in-charge supervisor's break - he's really serious about service (though I was trying my best to keep up - really!). Trying to switch people off express to a full service when they're mid transaction, with customers already unloading onto the full lane. Then calling people down from longlife and they're all on lunch/another department. Then trying to deal with problems like a checkout printing blank receipts (the operator had put the roll in the wrong way lol) and replacements and shit, while still trying to serve this final express customer. Thankfully this all subsided after about 10 minutes, but it's like as soon as everyone in the store converges to the front, you just become unresponsive for a few seconds, trying to decide what to do while about a thousand problems start to pile up around you :p

Quite an exaggeration though really haha.... i think everyone was just shopping before all the thunderstorms and everything hit in the late afternoon. Massive amounts of rain and hail and all. Pretty exciting experience, though I did jump like a bitch when the doors opened and a loud clash of thunder scared the hell outta me. At least it made the customer's day haha

@iMathew - where are you transferring? Just to another store, or between divisions?

Last edited:

poiison13

HSC
N/A
Do the shifts clash? or is it like one after the other?

It's not bad, makes a change from doing the one thing all day, especially if it's registers.

If i got rostered for longlife/perish/bakery/deli/produce/meat or anywhere that requires proper work i'd try to get out of it tho
I think the one in the dept she's not usually in, was all day. her normal one was for half of that same day. Either that - or the other way around.

nanakid12

HSC
I have turned up to do a checkout shift, but because it was insanely quiet and there were plenty of operators on, they took me off and had me filling the bakery section (we don't have one on-site, we get all our bakery stuff delivered from another store), and then at Christmas last year they had me filling perishables. I've only ever had that happen twice in my almost 3 years at woolies, but its just to help get other stuff done instead of bludging basically.

Is this the sort of thing you mean, where they take you for a part of your shift to help out? Or do you mean that they intend to do this permanently?

poiison13

HSC
N/A
I've also had that happen during a busy period, been sent just to help out in another dept for a while when busy. But this other person was rostered on for her normal job, but some other dept just rostered her on in their section at the last minute. She said they didn't tell her either. Is this likely to happen to me also? Is it usual? Should I start checking all rosters 'just in case' and what if it happens and I don't see it so I don't show up?? Being new I just want to find out how it works

quake

HSC
N/A
I found out some more stuff, snooping around the office looking through folders. The job is also called systems operator, so it sounds like it's exactly the job Australian stores had a while back? There's a list of things I have to do every day, mostly printing different kinds of reports and giving them to departments, and also a weekly managers' meeting, which I'm nervous about!

I start next Tuesday so I'm sure I'll have a bunch of questions then. Thanks everyone for helping out!

Anyone know what KVI might stand for? I saw that written down a bunch.

britto89

HSC
Anyone work in one department, ever been rostered into another without being notified - and on top of that already be working in the usual department on the same day? It hasn't happened to me yet, but I'm seeing it happen to a couple of others and want to know how everyone else handles/would handle in case it comes up?
as a general rule of thumb your "home department" should get priority in rostering you when they need you. that said however i quite often get rostered on as Storeman even though it clashes with my normal roster. since storeman is non trade and its essentially the SM and ASM (see ppl i'm getting with the new lingo) that do the roster my home department normally lucks out and gets told to find someone else to do my normal shift.

powlmao

Banned
HSC
Quick question, i have to get someone to cover my shift saturday week, should I try to get someone to cover it??

It is recovery (Names are written on a board) and I could really just wipe it off.

britto89

HSC
A guy in my store has multiple 'home departments' and has worked in every area. Rostering him is a bit of a clashing situation.
I classify the "home department" as what it says on your payslip. Liquor Assistant = Liquor Department, etc.

NNS7

HSC
N/A
I've also had that happen during a busy period, been sent just to help out in another dept for a while when busy. But this other person was rostered on for her normal job, but some other dept just rostered her on in their section at the last minute. She said they didn't tell her either. Is this likely to happen to me also? Is it usual? Should I start checking all rosters 'just in case' and what if it happens and I don't see it so I don't show up?? Being new I just want to find out how it works
If you have a shift rostered in a department other than your 'home department' and you have a shift in your 'home department' that week, it will show up on your roster with a * symbol next to it.

Its the same in my store, its ok to use staff from another department as long as you check with their department manager first, they always have first dibbs.

Quick question, i have to get someone to cover my shift saturday week, should I try to get someone to cover it??

It is recovery (Names are written on a board) and I could really just wipe it off.
Talk to your manager about it, its their job to resolve roster issues. Swapping shifts without management consent/knowledge is not advised.

britto89

HSC
If you have a shift rostered in a department other than your 'home department' and you have a shift in your 'home department' that week, it will show up on your roster with a * symbol next to it.
The roster doesn't always have the little asterisks next to the shift. If your home roster was printed out before you were put elsewhere then it won't show up.

I have had this happen a few times where they'd printed all the rosters out but then updated a departments roster and reprinted it, but not all the other ones. This means a shift can exist on one roster but not another, although rare it has caught me out before. I now just check the Grocery, Variety, Perishables, Liquor and Non Trade roster when i'm working like mad over the summer.

powlmao

Banned
HSC

Talk to your manager about it, its their job to resolve roster issues. Swapping shifts without management consent/knowledge is not advised.
Of course I will tell my manager about swapping. Hopefully the
Managers son will be able o cover.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)