• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

The Woolworths Thread (11 Viewers)

britto89

HSC
Well I am 16 so I only do checkouts, nightfill and customer service (floor)

Only reason I do three roles is because my managers love me lol

Big w is really good, all my managers are so nice and everyone is quite fun to be around. I don't think the roles differ much to woolworths besides the products

Overall it is a great place
I have always thought Big W checkout chick could be a backup if i don't get enough hours at woolworths when i'm home from uni. but there is a new store opening up back home so i'm hoping to get some hours out of it.

nanakid12

HSC
New quesiton

What would be the best present for a manager, chocolate?
Yeah she be right. They'll probably be flattered that you got them a gift in the first place :)

Also, pretty excited. My CSM said to me today about next year possibly teaching me rosters and more manager-y stuff. She also said she managed to stop the SSO from getting me to go to the office, which I am also glad about... was sorta having second thoughts about it.

Hopefully me and another new supervisor (who has been @ woolies for ages, and mainly works as an SSA, but is starting some supervision) will be able to work a Saturday. Can anyone tell me what this usually involves?

Here's what I think it might:
* Money in tills, set up for day
* Breaks
* Smoke filling/serving
* Customers get through quick
* Magazines?
* Spot checks
* Cleaning, pulling out stuff for cleaners, etc.
* EFT Last Settlements
* etc

though the supervisors on Saturdays always seem to be really busy, doing important stuff. When I supervise, I just do casual stuff when I'm not answering bells etc such as express, smokes, phone... the light duties.

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
The chimes button was disabled for us on service when we had the refurb. The only button that works is the one actually on the audio/sound unit that controls PA/telephone/mic/music volumes (oh and evacuation alarms ;) )

powlmao

Banned
HSC
So is everyone pumped for Christmas?

How would someone ask for more shifts during such holidays

nanakid12

HSC
The chimes button was disabled for us on service when we had the refurb. The only button that works is the one actually on the audio/sound unit that controls PA/telephone/mic/music volumes (oh and evacuation alarms ;) )
Is the evacuation button and the chime the big red button and the smaller white button near the chute receiver? We had a fire drill once and the store manager (obviously after disabling the alarm) and emergency sounds started. After a while these changed to a "woop woop woop" sorta sound.

But I have never heard the chime. I think it would be the smaller white button, but I would never push it for fear of another alarm being sounded as well :/

So is everyone pumped for Christmas?

How would someone ask for more shifts during such holidays
Woo Christmas. Won't be much different where I am, except we get to open the two Sundays before that holiday :p yes i love no sunday trading atm... until school finishes. We might be getting it next year, but meh... we'll see. I am, however preparing for the Christmas music. Just can't wait to here classics like "wonderful christmas time - paul mccarthy" or "happy xmas (the war is over) - john lennon" lol. its the same every single year.

You could casually chat to your CSM/2ic/other-rostering-person about how you're not really doing much and will probably be pretty bored doing nothing over the holidays. Or just let them know that your available as much as possible and ask to be top of the list for the any call-ins, no shows, sickies, etc. The way I'm called in and such is because I do try to work hard, I am usually available as like the "fill-in supervisor" hence why I now get three afternoon-close shifts through the week.

Are you still at school/what grade are you in? And what state?

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
Is the evacuation button and the chime the big red button and the smaller white button near the chute receiver? We had a fire drill once and the store manager (obviously after disabling the alarm) and emergency sounds started. After a while these changed to a "woop woop woop" sorta sound.

But I have never heard the chime. I think it would be the smaller white button, but I would never push it for fear of another alarm being sounded as well :/
The big red button is the duress alarm (e.g. hold up or similar distressing circumstances) and the white button is the chime button, this does nothing when pressed in our store.
Our evac alamrs are on the sound/volume unit in the general office, that's where the only chime button actually works, it's horrible and I can't believe anybody would actually use it.

nanakid12

HSC
I am in year 11 in NSW (it means I am 16) I also have been there for 1 year now
Ah ok. Yeah just like open up your availability and shiz and you'll be bloody amazed :) you might not, but hopefully you will.

@imat- Does this hold up button double as a fire alarm? Like do you have to twist it or something before you push it in to change it's function?
Also.... you dont happen to know anything about pressing the Call SVR button on the POS? I could imagine that Call Security would alert CMS and the workstations, but does Call SVR send an alert to the Office program at the workstation or something?

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
@imat- Does this hold up button double as a fire alarm? Like do you have to twist it or something before you push it in to change it's function?
Also.... you dont happen to know anything about pressing the Call SVR button on the POS? I could imagine that Call Security would alert CMS and the workstations, but does Call SVR send an alert to the Office program at the workstation or something?
No, I don't think it does double as a fire alarm. The Call Security button doesn't alert CMS, it only sends a message to Office, which no longer works.. The messages function broke on one of the POS upgrades apparently, if you send a message from Office it'll fuck something up (apparently). So basically, it doesn't work so don't use it lol

nanakid12

HSC
Hmm okay.. damn that sucks it'd be good use if it actually worked. I'd feel ever so slightly safer.

And woo supervising tomorrow night... better break out the Halloween stuff. Hope no little kids come in tomorrow trick or treating.

E

Effekt

Is it just me or does nanakid12 and iMathew just come on BoS for the Woolworths thread lol? I personally don't think the company deserves a thread the stores are full of bitchy woman, surely there are better things to discuss.

nanakid12

HSC
Haha yeah I'm from QLD so this thread is teh only thing of value to me.
What better things do you propose? What sort of things are better to discuss than pa announcements, emergency buttons and register drill downs?

Also, 100 posts ftw, all dedicated in this thread.

Last edited:

BSammy

HSC
Is it just me or does nanakid12 and iMathew just come on BoS for the Woolworths thread lol? I personally don't think the company deserves a thread the stores are full of bitchy woman, surely there are better things to discuss.
I only come here for woolies stuff also, it's a good place to talk about work with people who aren't bitchy women. :p

E

Effekt

I work at Woolworths but i am on holidays and generally try and forget i work there, my store is full of old bitches who have worked there for 20+ years they like to make their own rules. One day they will realize it's Woolworths not the bloody military. I'm a criminal for expressing my rights hence i don't give a shit what they think if breaks are suppose to be 15 minutes i will take 15 minutes not the 10 minutes they try to give.

This is the only post i will dedicate to such a horrible place.

nanakid12

HSC
Wow... sounds like you have it pretty tough. Our store isn't run soley by woman (well not anymore) the 2ic is currently the CSM until our produce manager comes to take over from another store (who was doing relief). We have an equal balance of young, middle aged and old people in our store :) so its all grrOOOOVAY!

Which is exactly why I post on this thread, whereas you do not.

BSammy

HSC
It was Bandanna Day the other day, anyone else participate?

I was one of only two people wearing one, made me slightly sad.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 11)